AAC AWARDS? What were they?

RolanFox

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I haven't heard about the AAC awards like best furry artist and stuff? Were
there awards this year and if so who won what if you don't mind this poor fur
who couldn't go to the con.

Rolanfox

sola...@don'tmesswithtexas.net

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
rola...@aol.com (RolanFox) wrote:

We didn't do the Moreau Awards this year, unfortunately... (Personally,
I'd like to see them back again for Anthrocon'99, but there are some rather
significant logistical problems to be worked out... such as how to collect
nominations, vote on the results, and then insure that the nominees will
_be there_ to accept their awards...)
"Fool! You have just signed the universe's death warrant!"

"I did? Uh... gee, I don't know if I'm authorized to sign that..."
solarfox@DON'TMESSWITHtexas.net (Gary Akins jr.)

Charles Groark

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

solarfox@DON'TMESSWITHtexas.net wrote:

> rola...@aol.com (RolanFox) wrote:
>
> >I haven't heard about the AAC awards like best furry artist and stuff? Were
> >there awards this year and if so who won what if you don't mind this poor fur
> >who couldn't go to the con.
>
> We didn't do the Moreau Awards this year, unfortunately... (Personally,
> I'd like to see them back again for Anthrocon'99, but there are some rather
> significant logistical problems to be worked out... such as how to collect
> nominations, vote on the results, and then insure that the nominees will
> _be there_ to accept their awards...)

Unfortunately, the only way to do _that_ would be to pre-inform the artists that they've won.
This, in turn, causes notable other problems: when do you start and end voting, and how do you
ensure that the artist has kept that weekend open to attend? How do you guarantee that all
winning artists actually have the money to get to (and stay/survive at) the con? Will the con
pick up their transportation and room costs? (Highly unlikely, IMHO.)

Sorry, folks, but there's just _no_ way to guarantee that your award winners will be present at
the con... unless they're on the staff or something similar... or unless the con (or some other
interested person) picks up their tab. IIRC, Amara _wanted_ to attend, she _planned_ to
attend... and had to cancel due to Real Life (TM). (Not casting aspersions on Amara.) Money
is a very important part of life and, despite the opinions of many fans, artists often don't
have enough of it.

Charlie

RolanFox

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Well I guess one way is just have the nominees be the people that show up to
the con and so the awards would be just for that con and not for all of furry
fandom. and then people would just vote right there maybe?

I don't know.

Rolanfox

Conrad Wong

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <35a9fde5...@news.texas.net>, <solarfox@DON'TMESSWITHtexas.net> wrote:
>We didn't do the Moreau Awards this year, unfortunately... (Personally,
>I'd like to see them back again for Anthrocon'99, but there are some rather
>significant logistical problems to be worked out... such as how to collect
>nominations, vote on the results, and then insure that the nominees will
>_be there_ to accept their awards...)

Pretty straightforward: do the voting at Anthrocon '99 for the Moureau
awards to be presented at Anthrocon 2000. Then you have a whole year to
round up enough sponsorship money to get all those individuals there.

-- Lynx (the ky00t one)
--
| __|\ | Conrad "Lynx" Wong | Upstart feline miscreant |
| ._| _ : | 101 First Street, suite 554 | LY Go B Y++ L++ C++++ T++ A-- |