Variant #1 (1966)

Michael Brenna

Jun 15, 2014, 7:17:39 AM6/15/14
Is there any evidence that Variant #1 from the Burt Ward sessions is actually composed by FZ?

A first hand account from somebody involved in the performance or production, or a hint from FZ himself, would settle it. But I can find none of either.

michael

http://www.willardswormholes.com/?p=210

Michael Brenna

Jun 15, 2014, 10:47:11 AM6/15/14
Let me rephrase the question:
How is it explained that 'The Comedian' (as noted on the tape box from the Burt Ward sessons) is the same piece that FZ referred to as 'Variant #1', cf. the Must Record list in MOFO? Has FZ or others made any reference which clearly identifies Variant #1?

michael

Charles Ulrich

Jun 15, 2014, 12:29:49 PM6/15/14
In article <e388ae07-f2c6-4ede...@googlegroups.com>,
From the entry for the 6/1/66 recording session in Russo's Cosmik Debris:

Variant I (shown as "The Comedian" on tape box)

Russo's main source of information on recording sessions was the session
sheets from Local 47 of the Musicians Union. So I imagine the session
sheet lists Variant I plus three songs, whereas the tape box lists The
Comedian plus the same three other songs.

--Charles

Ron Moses

Jun 16, 2014, 12:17:16 AM6/16/14
Charles, it's great to have you here.

ron

Michael Brenna

Jun 16, 2014, 2:23:16 AM6/16/14
Joe Travers has confirmed that it is in the vault.

Michael Brenna

Jun 16, 2014, 6:40:08 AM6/16/14
To wrap it up:

(1) The MOFO booklet:
When FZ wrote Variant #1 on the 'Must Record' list, he most certainly referred to one of his own compositions.

(2) Charles' argument:
'Variant #1' on the Burt Ward session sheet refers to the same track as 'The Comedian' on the tape box. Joe's statement confirms this.

(3) The timeline:
Since the 'Must Record' list dates from around the Freak Out sessions, March 1966, and the next studio opportunity (apart from the Tommy Flanders job) was the Burt Ward sessions in June, it is pretty likely that the two appearances of the title refer to the same piece of music.

My original question was "Is there any evidence that Variant #1 from the Burt Ward sessions is actually composed by FZ?".
The answer is yes.

http://www.willardswormholes.com/?p=210

Michael

Charles Ulrich

Jun 16, 2014, 11:31:36 PM6/16/14
In article <0a2e637d-4dc3-4c25...@googlegroups.com>,
Next question:

What is the relationship (if any) between Variant I (aka The Comedian)
and Variant 1 Processional March (aka Regyptian Strut)? Is Regyptian
Strut mean as an intro to The Comedian? Or did FZ just happen to re-use
a similar name (like the two different Grand Wazoos or the two different
Canard Du Jours)?

--Charles

The old geezer

Jun 17, 2014, 6:54:57 AM6/17/14
On Monday, June 16, 2014 11:31:36 PM UTC-4, Charles Ulrich wrote:

> What is the relationship (if any) between Variant I (aka The Comedian)
>
> and Variant 1 Processional March (aka Regyptian Strut)? Is Regyptian
>
> Strut mean as an intro to The Comedian? Or did FZ just happen to re-use
>
> a similar name (like the two different Grand Wazoos or the two different
>
> Canard Du Jours)?

Perhaps Gail or Dweezil would know?????

TOG

Michael Brenna

Jun 17, 2014, 8:07:04 AM6/17/14
kl. 05:31:36 UTC+2 tirsdag 17. juni 2014 skrev Charles Ulrich følgende:
> Next question:
> What is the relationship (if any) between Variant I (aka The Comedian)
> and Variant 1 Processional March (aka Regyptian Strut)? Is Regyptian
> Strut mean as an intro to The Comedian? Or did FZ just happen to re-use
> a similar name (like the two different Grand Wazoos or the two different
> Canard Du Jours)?

... or the two different Kung Fus. I would think FZ played around with titles until they were finally earmarked on some official release or another, cf. Let's Move To Cleveland.

BTW, the age of the 'must record' list is less certain than I have assumed, so there is a remote possibility that (1) the Variant #1 listed there is not the same piece as Variant #1/The Comedian, and (2) the latter is not composed by FZ after all - even if it sits in the vault.

Charles Ulrich

Jun 17, 2014, 1:47:22 PM6/17/14
In article <0e08e4f6-cef5-471c...@googlegroups.com>,
Michael Brenna <micb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> kl. 05:31:36 UTC+2 tirsdag 17. juni 2014 skrev Charles Ulrich f�lgende:
> > Next question:
> > What is the relationship (if any) between Variant I (aka The Comedian)
> > and Variant 1 Processional March (aka Regyptian Strut)? Is Regyptian
> > Strut mean as an intro to The Comedian? Or did FZ just happen to re-use
> > a similar name (like the two different Grand Wazoos or the two different
> > Canard Du Jours)?
>
> ... or the two different Kung Fus.

Actually, those are two drastically different arrangements of one Kung
Fu.

> BTW, the age of the 'must record' list is less certain than I have assumed,

Yeah, I'm convinced that it dates from the time of the CWRATJ/Uncle Meat
sessions.

--Charles

Michael Brenna

Jun 17, 2014, 6:19:28 PM6/17/14
kl. 19:47:22 UTC+2 tirsdag 17. juni 2014 skrev Charles Ulrich følgende:
> Actually, those are two drastically different arrangements of one Kung
>Fu.

Indeed? I will give them a closer listen.

>I'm convinced that it dates from the time of the CWRATJ/Uncle Meat
>sessions.

I would say he probably still referred to the same Variant #1 that was recorded in 1966. It would surprise me if it turned out that the tune was composed by somebody else.

Charles Ulrich

Jun 17, 2014, 7:13:52 PM6/17/14
In article <bb41f765-6089-4e7a...@googlegroups.com>,
Michael Brenna <micb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> kl. 19:47:22 UTC+2 tirsdag 17. juni 2014 skrev Charles Ulrich f�lgende:
> > Actually, those are two drastically different arrangements of one Kung
> >Fu.
>
> Indeed? I will give them a closer listen.

I was unconvinced for years, until Rom�n presented some correspondences:

Lost Episodes 0:07 � Appleton 0:13
Lost Episodes 0:09 � Appleton 0:17
Lost Episodes 0:16 � Appleton 0:23

(All of the above is edited out of the version included in the Ryko CD
version of Didja Get Any Onya?, so that's not a good one to compare.)

> >I'm convinced that it dates from the time of the CWRATJ/Uncle Meat
> >sessions.
>
> I would say he probably still referred to the same Variant #1 that was
> recorded in 1966. It would surprise me if it turned out that the tune was
> composed by somebody else.

I agree on both counts.

--Charles