Does anyone know what became of Bob Harris #1?

van

Dec 20, 2008, 11:49:53 PM12/20/08
I don't know why I've become obsessed with this, but upon recently
discovering the music of singer/songwriter Judee Sill, I learnt about
her first husband, Bob Harris #1, who did the orchestrations on her
1st LP.

From there I found out he was in The Mothers in 1971 (from your pal
and mine, Biffy the Elephant Shrew) played with Gabor Szabo, The
Leaves, produced Lady-O for The Turtles,
and worked as a freelance jazz pianist with Sill on upright bass for a
while.
He seemed to be associated with a group of S. California jazz and rock
musicians such as Bill Plummer, Jim Pons, Lynn Blessing, John Beck,
Tommy Peltier, and a bassist named Denis Del Giudice who described him
as a "superb musician who tutored Sill."
In the booklet that comes with a Sill CD, he's described by a composer
named Tina Gancher as "talented, but petulant, immature and a
junkie.Extremely harmonic. Ear musician. Excellent sense of harmony.
Not rhythmically. That was not the outstanding thing..."
Then another composer tells a story about how BH hired a musician for
50 beans, and when the gig was over, paid him in real beans. When the
musician complained, he held his ground "I told you beans."
Anyway, did he die in 1993 like it says in allmusic?
I read something else about him introducing the real Reuben to FZ.
Are there any good, improvised solos by him on any of FZ's LPs (Live
at the Fillmore, John and Yoko "Sometime in NY, or Playground
Psychotics)?
TIA

Charles Ulrich

Dec 21, 2008, 12:20:28 AM12/21/08
In article
<e75a2396-f158-4d73...@l16g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
van <sg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, did he die in 1993 like it says in allmusic?

Knowing the AMG, it seems likely that some musician named Bob Harris
died in 1993, but it may or may not have been our Bob Harris #1. I do
know that it wasn't our Bob Harris #2.

> Are there any good, improvised solos by him on any of FZ's LPs (Live
> at the Fillmore, John and Yoko "Sometime in NY, or Playground
> Psychotics)?

He plays a solo on Billy The Mountain on Playground Psychotics. You can
decide for yourself if it's good.

On Fillmore 1917, he sings "Well, it gets me so hot I could scream"
(What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are?).

On Playground Psychotics, he sings in the center with Jim on
Concentration Moon. And says "Jerry Lewis had hosted a telethon" in
Billy The Mountain.

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Dec 21, 2008, 8:41:44 AM12/21/08
On Dec 20, 11:20 pm, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> He plays a solo on Billy The Mountain on Playground Psychotics. You can
> decide for yourself if it's good.

I think it's him on "Aaawk" (aka "Jamrag"), too.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

van

Dec 21, 2008, 2:27:04 PM12/21/08
On Dec 21, 12:20 am, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> In article
> <e75a2396-f158-4d73-a019-cedae885c...@l16g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,

Does he play any solos on Fillmore, 1971?

van

Dec 26, 2008, 2:04:35 PM12/26/08
> Does he play any solos on Fillmore, 1971?- Hide quoted text -

More news on Bob Harris#1-
I was emailed yesterday by a guy who played drums with BH#1 in the
1960s at Valley College in L.A.
He said BH#1 was a fine jazz pianist who played in both the Valley
College big band and an experimental Valley College group (probably
closer to FZ's type of stuff).
Judee Sill also went to Valley College in the 60s, and Pete Christlieb
played in the VC jazz ensemble.

Bill

Dec 27, 2008, 10:38:04 AM12/27/08
In article <ulrich-8A3B92.21202820122008@shawnews>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

According to http://www.dustedmagazine.com/features/367, Judee Sill got
married some time before her brother died. According to the Social
Security Death Index, Dennis Sill died in 1968. so it's plausible that
the Bob Harris from 1947 could be a candidate, but I eliminated from the
list folks younger than he. I arbitrarily chose 1930 as the oldest date.

(Side note - take this biographical article with a grain of salt. The
way I see it, if Sill were born in 1944, why would she be "bounced
around from high school to high school" after her mother passed away in
1963? If I were 18 or 19, I wouldn't bother to be bounced around from
school to school, unless there were some kind of court order to finish
school.)

Looking at the Social Security Death Index, in 1993 there were a few
Robert Harrises who died whose dates of birth roughly correspond to
someone who may have been the right age.

Robert Harris, born 1947; death certificate issued in NY
Robert C Harris, born 1933, ... NY
Robert B Harris, born 1933; ... Illinois
Robert L Harris, born 1935, ... Maryland
Robert F Harris, born 1936, ... VA
Robert H Harris, b. 1930, ... VA

However, the Robert Harris who died in Los Angeles, CA in July 1993 (the
month and year given in the All Music Guide) that is listed in this
Social Security Death Index database was born in 1911. I don't think
this is Bob Harris #1, unless the incorrect birth date is in the
database. I doubt Bob #1 was 6 (or 60) years old when he recorded
Fillmore East..

Out of curiosity, since Bob Harris #1 seems to have become inactive in
the mid-70's, I searched the social security death index from 1973-1979
(Judee Sill's death, I know he was long her ex-husband by this time)
and came up with these (* indicates obvious California connection, in
case he was still living in California) :

Robert Harris , b. 1933, d. 1973, NC
Robert Harris b. 1931, d. 1973, GA
Robert Harris, b. 1931, d. 1973, KY
Robert Harris, b. 1942, d. 1974, PE
Robert Harris, b. 1944, d. 1974, Alabama
Robert Harris, b. 1933, d. 1974, OK
* Robert Harris, b. 1936, d. 1974, CA
* Robert Harris, b. 1940, d. 1974, CA
* Robert Harris, b. 1946, d. 1974, CA
Robert W. Harris, b. 1942, d. 1975. CN
Robert Harris , b. 1934, d. 1975, PE
Robert Harris, b. 1939, d. 1975. WV or NC (I'm not making this up)
Robert Harris, b. 1939, d. 1975. WV or NC (similar database oddity,
different birth date)
Robert Harris, b. 1934, d. 1975, NC
Robert Harris, b. 1937, d. 1975, GA
Robert Harris, b. 1940, d. 1975, IN
Robert Harris, b. 1934, d. 1976, GA
Robert Harris, b. 1945, d. 1976, GA
Robert Harris, b. 1947, d. 1976, GA
Robert Harris, b. 1937, d. 1976, Mich
Robert Harris, b. 1941, d. 1976, Alabama
Robert Harris, b. 1931, d. 1976, TX
Robert Harris, b. 1937, d. 1976, TX
* Robert Harris, b. 1934, d. 1977. NY - but last residence is Los Angeles
Robert Harris, b. 1945, d. 1977, NY
Robert Harris, b. 1944, d. 1977, NJ
Robert Harris, b. 1933, d. 1977, MD
Robert Harris, b. 1940, d. 1977, NC
Robert Harris, b. 1937, d. 1977, OH
Robert Harris, b. 1945, d. 1977, IL
Robert Harris, b. 1931, d. 1977, KY
* Robert Harris, b. 1940, d. 1977, CA
Robert Harris, b. 1932, d. 1978, NY
Robert Harris, b. 1930, d. 1978, MD
* Robert Harris, b. 1936, d. 1978, OH - but last residence is Los Angeles
Robert Harris, b. 1938, d. 1978, OH
Robert Harris, b. 1935, d. 1978, Alabama
Robert Harris, b. 1935, d. 1978, Missouri
Robert Harris, b. 1944, d. 1978, CO
* Robert Harris, b. 1946, d. 1978, CA
Robert Harris, b. 1946, d. 1979, NH
Robert Harris, b. 1939, d. 1979, CN
Robert Harris, b. 1932, d. 1979, NY
Robert Harris, b. 1932, d. 1979, PE
Robert Harris, b. 1942, d. 1979, VA
Robert Harris, b. 1944, d. 1979, SC
Robert Harris, b. 1931, d. 1979, GA
Robert Harris, b. 1933, d. 1979, IL
Robert Harris, b. 1941, d. 1979, TX
Robert Harris, b. 1930, d. 1979, TX
Robert Harris, b. 1940, d. 1979, CO

Of course, if you happen to have his SSN, it's a lot simpler and
probably more accurate.

Bill Not Lantz, in an investigative mood

Charles Ulrich

Dec 27, 2008, 10:51:36 AM12/27/08
In article <billflynn-7B8AF...@feeder.motzarella.org>,
Bill <bill...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Looking at the Social Security Death Index, in 1993 there were a few
> Robert Harrises who died whose dates of birth roughly correspond to
> someone who may have been the right age.
>
> Robert Harris, born 1947; death certificate issued in NY
> Robert C Harris, born 1933, ... NY
> Robert B Harris, born 1933; ... Illinois
> Robert L Harris, born 1935, ... Maryland
> Robert F Harris, born 1936, ... VA
> Robert H Harris, b. 1930, ... VA

I always thought of Bob Harris #1 as Robert P. Harris...

Bill

Dec 27, 2008, 11:07:47 AM12/27/08
In article <ulrich-845196.07513627122008@shawnews>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

Robert P. Harris - 26 entries.

Plausible:

b. 1934, d. 1998. issued CN, last residence FL
b. 1937 d. 2001, issued SC, last residence NC
b. 1949 d. 1991, issued CA. He's a little younger than I'd suspect

Charles Ulrich

Dec 27, 2008, 12:05:16 PM12/27/08
In article <billflynn-CCE2C...@feeder.motzarella.org>,
Bill <bill...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Guess I should have used a smiley...

Bill

Dec 27, 2008, 1:22:46 PM12/27/08
In article <ulrich-4BD960.09051627122008@shawnews>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> In article <billflynn-CCE2C...@feeder.motzarella.org>,
> Bill <bill...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <ulrich-845196.07513627122008@shawnews>,
> > Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> > > I always thought of Bob Harris #1 as Robert P. Harris...
> >
> > Robert P. Harris - 26 entries.
> >
> > Plausible:
> >
> > b. 1934, d. 1998. issued CN, last residence FL
> > b. 1937 d. 2001, issued SC, last residence NC
> > b. 1949 d. 1991, issued CA. He's a little younger than I'd suspect
>
> Guess I should have used a smiley...

I get it now. A bit too subtle for me before my caffeine. :)

Message has been deleted

Bill

Dec 28, 2008, 6:31:28 AM12/28/08
In article
<87268a9f-4236-4475...@p29g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
van <sg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've emailed Bill Plummer, the bass player on all of Sill's records,
> about BH#1, but it's been 3 days and he hasn't gotten back to me yet,
> so that's probably a dead end...

Maybe not though. He may be traveling over the holidays.

Bill

Dec 28, 2008, 6:57:39 AM12/28/08
van <sg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, BH#1 was a Libra (according to the acid dealer/artist/jazz
> bass player who introduced them to each other) so if the SSDI has date
> of birth, that should help out.

For most they do.

OK, Looking at births days between Sept 23-Oct 22 1930-1948 and deaths
from 1974 on, last known residence as California, we have :

Robert M. Harris - 27 September 1943-11 August 2001, San Diego, CA
Robert L. Harris - 27 September 1934-16 November 2002, San Diego, CA
Robert T. Harris - 27 September 1933-03 October 2001, San Leandro,
Alameda, CA
Robert Harris - 21 October 1940-15 October 2002, Hawthorne, Los Angeles
CA
Robert N Harris - 12 October 1936-25 March 2002, Carmel, Monterey CA
Robert S Harris - 05 October 1932-03 March 2000, Suisun City, Solano CA

I'd get more names removing the California restriction, but I'm feeling
lazier than yesterday.

Of course, if Judee Sill were someone who would lie to build a
mythology, your or your partner's astrological sign might be the sort of
thing you'd lie about, if given the opportunity.

Bill Still Not Lantz

van

Dec 28, 2008, 1:55:47 PM12/28/08
On Dec 28, 6:57 am, Bill <billfl...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <87268a9f-4236-4475-9d6f-c30fc869f...@p29g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,

That was the acid dealer/jazz bassist/artist, Denis Del Giudice (not
Judee)who said that about the Libras, and he introduced Judee to BH#1.
I tried to find him on the web, but it's hopeless- he lives on a boat
somewhere.
However, the excellent jazz guitarist, Art Johnson, who played on
Judee's unreleased 3rd record just got back to me and told me a story
about BH#1 coming over to the Victorian house he and vibes player Lynn
Blessing used to live in unannounced, with a white Strat, telling them
he was quitting piano and wanted to learn how to play like Hendrix!
Unfortunately, he didn't say anything else about BH#1, so I wrote him
back. He lives in Monaco, so he may have lost touch with him.
If he did survive the 1970s, he's probably one of the 2 Robert
Harrises that was born in the 1940s.

Charles Ulrich

Dec 28, 2008, 6:24:34 PM12/28/08
Rubén Guevara said that he hasn't seen Bob Harris since 1972. Nor did he
seem to have heard that he died.

A few years ago, both Don Preston and Mark Volman said that they had no
idea whatever happened to Bob Harris.

Someone should ask one or more of The Leaves. Rubén met Bob Harris
through John Beck. And Jim Pons of course was in The Leaves, The
Turtles, and The Mothers.

van

Dec 28, 2008, 9:56:18 PM12/28/08

Both Pons and Beck got smart and got out of the music biz. They both
wound up doing video for the New York Jets.

In 2006, someone posted on the United Mutations entry on BH#1 that
they knew a guy named Bob Harris that worked for cable channel E! in
1996 who reviewed movies. He once said that one movie was even too
weird for him, and he had worked with FZ and The Mothers.

Maybe BH#1 got out of the music biz too. If Preston and Volman didn't
know what happened to him, he probably did split.
Pons and Beck would probably know.

Pons became born-again and started some foundation that has to do with
cancer, but there's no email with his name on it.

van

Dec 28, 2008, 10:16:49 PM12/28/08

Whoops, in 2005, Pons moved down to Florida and did video p/t for the
Jacksonville Jaguars, and plays upright bass in a bluegrass band
called Deep Creek.

And that was the David Foundation that had to do with autism, not
cancer.

Gary

Dec 28, 2008, 11:42:46 PM12/28/08
On Dec 28, 7:16 pm, van <sg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Whoops, in 2005, Pons moved down to Florida and did video p/t for the
> Jacksonville Jaguars, and plays upright bass in a bluegrass band
> called Deep Creek.

Jim appears to have undergone some rather radical changes as a
result...

http://www.deepcreekbluegrass.com/aboutus.html

Bill

Dec 29, 2008, 9:27:26 AM12/29/08

van

Dec 29, 2008, 3:35:52 PM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 9:27 am, Bill <billfl...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <e40d6ad8-69c6-4907-97e6-45daa25a8...@y1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,

>  Gary <midicad2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 28, 7:16 pm, van <sg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Whoops, in 2005, Pons moved down to Florida and did video p/t for the
> > > Jacksonville Jaguars, and plays upright bass in a bluegrass band
> > > called Deep Creek.
>
> > Jim appears to have undergone some rather radical changes as a
> > result...
>
> >http://www.deepcreekbluegrass.com/aboutus.html
>
> LOL.

Oh yeah, well take that:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=20973811

ttuerff

Dec 31, 2008, 10:02:37 AM12/31/08
Methinks you're confusing John Beck with John Seiter. John Beck became
an actor who got lots of work in the 1970s. Usually played snotty
villains. Seiter was the last drummer for the Turtles and did indeed
follow Jim to the Jets as his assistant.

TT

ttuerff

Dec 31, 2008, 10:08:40 AM12/31/08
> Oh yeah, well take that:http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=...

I didn't know Pons could sing that high.
And in a deeeeeeeep, calmly assured vooooooice...

TT

van

Dec 31, 2008, 3:46:05 PM12/31/08
> > cancer, but there's no email with his name on it.- Hide quoted text -

No, that was another John Beck who was born in 1943, Chicago.
Pons found a few of the Turtles work in video production.
It's amazing how little money they made in the Turtles.
Beck isn't mentioned much by anyone, but he appears on a bunch of
early jazz/rock records made by some of the guys who played with Judee
Sill and Paul Horn on the West Coast in the late 60s- early 70s like
Bill Plummer's Cosmic Brotherhood, and Lynn Blessings LP "Sunset
Painter".
I wonder what type of player he was?

marypr...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2009, 7:57:08 PM1/18/09
Message has been deleted

yole...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2015, 4:39:51 PM2/15/15
Robert Maurice Harris.

yole...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2015, 4:57:49 PM2/15/15
Robert Maurice Harris Sept 27,1943-Aug 2001

C. Steven Blue

Jun 2, 2021, 2:13:35 PMJun 2
Bob Harris played keyboards in our local Hollywood rock band during 1967-1968. The band was Shade of Dawn. Both of Bob's sisters and I worked with the band, and I got my best friend the job as their drummer. This was during the time he was married to Judee Sill. My friend and I saved Bob & Judee's lives one night, and here is that story. I am a performance poet and I wrote a poem about saving them that night. It can be found at the bottom of the page on my FaceBook chapbook of multi-media poems called "Wordsongs - FB Chapbook #1: The Perspective View Of The Endless New". Like I said, it is at the bottom of the page and is titled, "1968 - HOW I SAVED JUDEE SILL (and our keyboard player, Bob Harris)." Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/Wordsongs-FB-Chapbook-1-Perspective-View-Of-The-Endless-New-591180474377593/?ref=pages_you_manage