Tom Wilson mention

computeruser

Oct 20, 2003, 6:20:15 AM10/20/03
http://www.msnbc.com/news/976812.asp?0si=-

BEGINNINGS IN HIGH SCHOOL
We tend to associate Simon and Garfunkel with the end of the '60s. In
fact, they were singing together since the '50s, high school. "Wednesday
Morning, 3 A.M.," their first record, was released in the fall of 1964, hard
on the heels of Beatlemania in the United States.
Released in January 1966
The album, a mix of traditional folk songs and early, lesser Simon
works ("Bleecker Street," "He Was My Brother") was not received well. One
track, though, had promise: "The Sound of Silence," an earnest, listenable
but not yet remarkable folk song.
The album "Sounds of Silence" was the beneficiary of a reworking of
the namesake song. Credit "Wednesday"

producer Tom Wilson

(perhaps intrigued by Bob Dylan's electric adventures at Newport in 1965)
with taking the original "Sound" track, and overdubbing electric instruments
and drums. The result was S&G's first major hit, a tough, muscular anthem
whose emotional power is made greater by the song's recent remastering.

Simon and Garfunkel as Tom & Jerry opened for the Mothers of Invention at
the Garrick in New York city.

Charles Ulrich

Oct 20, 2003, 1:23:45 PM10/20/03
In article <vp7de9a...@corp.supernews.com>,
"computeruser" <computeruser.69.@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Simon and Garfunkel as Tom & Jerry opened for the Mothers of Invention at
> the Garrick in New York city.

Do you have evidence for this?

According to TRFZB (pp98-99) it was in Buffalo.

--Charles

computeruser

Oct 20, 2003, 2:00:20 PM10/20/03

"Charles Ulrich" <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

No. Simply my mis-remembering the venue. Do you have a date of the purported
event?

Charles Ulrich

Oct 20, 2003, 3:17:41 PM10/20/03
In article <vp88d6b...@corp.supernews.com>,
"computeruser" <computeruser.69.@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Charles Ulrich" <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote in message
> > In article <vp7de9a...@corp.supernews.com>,
> > "computeruser" <computeruser.69.@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Simon and Garfunkel as Tom & Jerry opened for the Mothers of
> > > Invention at the Garrick in New York city.
> >
> > Do you have evidence for this?
> >
> > According to TRFZB (pp98-99) it was in Buffalo.
>

> No. Simply my mis-remembering the venue. Do you have a date of the purported
> event?

Several contradictory ones.

TRFZB simply says "sometime in 1967".

Bunk Gardner remembered it as being on his birthday, May 2.

Several sources say September '67. One says that the MOI may have played
Buffalo in December '67.

I'm hoping someone will do some research in Buffalo newspapers.

--Charles

computeruser

Oct 20, 2003, 5:01:30 PM10/20/03

"Charles Ulrich" <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

sounds like a project for - Sylvia Brinkman Dimanzini <sp?

M. Delle

Oct 20, 2003, 5:22:34 PM10/20/03

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Jerry
"Tom and Jerry was the original stage name used by Paul Simon and Art
Garfunkel in 1957. They had a hit with the song "Hey Schoolgirl". Garfunkel
was Tom, and Simon was Jerry. They toured for eighteen months before
retiring to become college students and then reforming in 1963 as Simon and
Garfunkel.

One last appearance under the old name came in Buffalo, NY, in 1967, when
they opened for Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. They did a short
set as Tom and Jerry, performing only their old numbers. This was followed
by the usual chaotic Mothers show. Then they came back out for an encore,
still in the guise of Tom and Jerry, and sang "Sounds of Silence" to a
suddenly comprehending audience."

M. Delle

"Charles Ulrich" <ulr...@sfu.ca> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]

Charles Ulrich

Oct 20, 2003, 6:15:12 PM10/20/03
In article <vp8j0j2...@corp.supernews.com>,
"computeruser" <computeruser.69.@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Charles Ulrich" <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

> > TRFZB simply says "sometime in 1967".
> >
> > Bunk Gardner remembered it as being on his birthday, May 2.
> >
> > Several sources say September '67. One says that the MOI may have played
> > Buffalo in December '67.
> >
> > I'm hoping someone will do some research in Buffalo newspapers.
>

> sounds like a project for - Sylvia Brinkman Dimanzini <sp?

Sylvia Brigham Dimiziani no longer lives in the Buffalo area.

For those of you who don't know, soprano Sylvia Brigham Dimiziani
appears in the Freak Out! list. When she was a music student at Pomona
College, she attended concerts and other events with FZ.

Later, she was a member of the Creative Associates at SUNY Buffalo
(1964­1966), along with composer Mauricio Kagel (who also appears on the
Freak Out! list), percussionist John Bergamo (who played on Zappa In New
York), and bassist Buell Neidlinger (who played on JLP's King Kong). She
taught at SUNY Buffalo 1970-2000.

--Charles

M. Delle

Bil Hansen

Oct 24, 2003, 9:13:23 PM10/24/03
"M. Delle" <magnus...@telia.com> wrote...

> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Jerry
> "Tom and Jerry was the original stage name used by Paul Simon and Art
> Garfunkel in 1957. They had a hit with the song "Hey Schoolgirl".
Garfunkel

> One last appearance under the old name came in Buffalo, NY, in 1967, when

> they opened for Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. They did a short
> set as Tom and Jerry, performing only their old numbers. This was followed
> by the usual chaotic Mothers show. Then they came back out for an encore,
> still in the guise of Tom and Jerry, and sang "Sounds of Silence" to a
> suddenly comprehending audience."

Did T & J aka S & G do 'I am a Rock' and did FZ and the MoI do 'Help I'm a
Rock' in the same set?

Cheers

Bil (who was, while interviewing a senior official from the Ministry of
Finance on Thursday, accused of being 'either stupid or evil, and I sure
hope you're stupid'. I was v tempted to reply with Vladimir's 'You make me
the cry at the shame in myself, you are very perceptive of my psyche', as
opposed to 'surround my penis with your lips', but chose a third option, the
diplomatic option of smiling and asking if the official had any more that he
wanted to say.)

Charles Ulrich

Oct 24, 2003, 11:42:08 PM10/24/03
In article <bnck2i$8gu$1...@news6.jaring.my>,
"Bil Hansen" <bi...@pd.jaring.my> wrote:

> "M. Delle" <magnus...@telia.com> wrote...
> > From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Jerry
> > "Tom and Jerry was the original stage name used by Paul Simon and Art
> > Garfunkel in 1957. They had a hit with the song "Hey Schoolgirl".
> Garfunkel
>
> > One last appearance under the old name came in Buffalo, NY, in 1967, when
> > they opened for Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. They did a short
> > set as Tom and Jerry, performing only their old numbers. This was followed
> > by the usual chaotic Mothers show. Then they came back out for an encore,
> > still in the guise of Tom and Jerry, and sang "Sounds of Silence" to a
> > suddenly comprehending audience."
>
> Did T & J aka S & G do 'I am a Rock' and did FZ and the MoI do 'Help I'm a
> Rock' in the same set?

I've always wanted to do a hybrid version.

Here are some that I've never wanted to do:

Ship Arriving To Late To Save The Life Of My Child
Bridge Over Troubled Watermelon In Easter Hay
A Nun Suit Painted On Some Old Friends
Windows That Are Green
Flower Punky's Dilemma
The Sound Of Silence, You Fools!