Is Gabby Hayes really Gabi Haas?

Strictly Commercial

Dec 5, 2004, 9:24:37 PM12/5/04

The segue from Purple Haze to Sunshine of Your Love contains a few riffs
on the song's title: Isaac and Helen Hayes are both mentioned. Did
anybody ever figure out who Gabby Hayes was? If not, I may have
discovered a clue. In the 1960s a Canadian accordionist by the name of
Gabi Haas released a series of LPs; Ike (that is Ike, right?) may well
have encountered one, causing him to remember the name all those years
later.

Just a guess. And yes indeed, this is an intensely trivial question.

Rolf

Strictly Commercial

Dec 5, 2004, 9:27:34 PM12/5/04

Sorry, that name is spelled with a y not an i: Gaby Haas.

Milhouse Guidry of the mWo

Dec 5, 2004, 9:38:44 PM12/5/04
STRICTLY COMMERCIAL wrote...

>The segue from Purple Haze to Sunshine of Your Love contains a few riffs
>on the song's title: Isaac and Helen Hayes are both mentioned. Did
>anybody ever figure out who Gabby Hayes was? If not, I may have
>discovered a clue. In the 1960s a Canadian accordionist by the name of
>Gabi Haas released a series of LPs; Ike (that is Ike, right?) may well
>have encountered one, causing him to remember the name all those years
>later.

http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/rogers3.jpg (on the right)
http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/pals-gh.htm

And yes, I'm 100% certain this is who Ike was referring to.

--Milhouse
--
Average dude.

Winner - 2004 March Melee
Final 4 - 2004 KoRSPW

mWo. It's not just the coolest, it's fa lyfe, so survey says
whether you like it or don't like it, never E-e-e-ver tell
me he did *not* just SMELL what mWo 3:16 reeks of.

Strictly Commercial

Dec 5, 2004, 10:35:35 PM12/5/04

Milhouse Guidry of the mWo wrote:
> http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/rogers3.jpg (on the right)
> http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/pals-gh.htm
>
> And yes, I'm 100% certain this is who Ike was referring to.

No doubt about it.

John Henley

Dec 6, 2004, 10:16:55 AM12/6/04
In article <ulrich-B72872....@news.vc.shawcable.net>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> Am I the only one who has difficulty picturing Bob Steele as a western
> hero? I've never seen any of his westerns, and know him only as Canino
> in The Big Sleep.

No, I've seen several of his westerns, and he's both rugged and
very personable, smiling a lot especially around the ladies;
but by the time of The Big Sleep, he'd been around long enough to
learn how to ACT a little bit. Not much acting in the westerns,
just a yeoman job as hero.

Incidentally, Bob Steele was the son of Robert Bradbury, who
was a maker (director/writer/producer) of B Westerns,
and directed some of John Wayne's shot-in-2-days Four Star
Westerns of the early thirties.

John Henley

JYOB

Dec 6, 2004, 4:27:30 PM12/6/04
One of Gabby Hayes' best roles wuz that of playing John Wayne's sidekick in the
1944 movie "Tall In The Saddle". Check it out!

The old geezer

Hoodoo

Dec 7, 2004, 6:58:00 AM12/7/04
>> The segue from Purple Haze to Sunshine of Your Love contains a few riffs
>> on the song's title: Isaac and Helen Hayes are both mentioned. Did
>> anybody ever figure out who Gabby Hayes was? If not, I may have
>> discovered a clue. In the 1960s a Canadian accordionist by the name of
>> Gabi Haas released a series of LPs

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 02:27:34 GMT, Strictly Commercial
<maure...@telus.net> wrote:

>Sorry, that name is spelled with a y not an i: Gaby Haas.

I know someone with that same surname and have met or heard mention of
other people with it as well. Whenever the name was spoken it was done
so sounding like "Hoz" with the letter 'o' sounding like it does in
the word "odd" or the Kingdom of "Oz". But perhaps that is only common
to the dialect normally spoken in my Midwestern area of the USA.

Whenever I heard the name "Gabby Hayes" spoken, or anyone else with
that surname, it was always pronounced exactly like the common word
"haze", as in "Purple Haze" with which it is being rhymed.

And as the other respondents stated, it definitely refers to the
bearded American actor popular in "western" films and television.

--
Oh, smell your harmonica. Go on, smell it son." - Johnny 'Guitar' Watson

<NINJA IS PAPA>/

Dec 8, 2004, 4:17:01 PM12/8/04

"JYOB" <jy...@aol.comTOG> wrote in message

I liked him in The Duke's " 'Neath Arizona Skies" (1934). Yakima Canutt was
also good as always.