Rush Up, Chicago

Charles Ulrich

Jun 4, 2008, 4:11:34 PM6/4/08
In 2004, I asked (in reference to the cover of Over-nite Sensation):

>What is "Rush-Up", and what is its deep significance for people who
>live in Chicago?

And Milhouse replied:

> As far as I know, it was the name of a club (nightclub or bar or
> what-have-you) in Chicago. And that's all I know about it's
> significance. Why it appears on the tag in the undies is, um.. unkown
> to me.

At the time, I couldn't confirm this information.

Now, however, I've found several references to this club. It was located
on Rush Street and was home to a band called MS Funk.

from
<http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=65314360

&blogID=101883915&Mytoken=A4AA7CB8-5194-4649-B9C374EC0FBD0E5E47285227>:

> Brian joined our band with T. Shaw in Nashville. All he wanted was
> $50.00 a week with room and board. What a bargain that was! One of
> the most hilarious things he ever did was backstage at the Rush-Up in
> Chicago. Frank Zappa came backstage and told us he was really
> impressed with our music. I got into a conversation with Zappa (of
> all things) about the fact that I wore a leg brace. He mentioned that
> he had been in a wreck at one time in his life and had worn a brace.
> We had no discussion about music. Right in the middle of our talk,
> Brian stepped between Zappa and me and said, "Excuse me, I didn't
> catch your name".

--Charles

jayp...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2015, 1:26:50 AM8/16/15
My father owned the Rush Up. It was a hang out to Frank Zappa, Evil Kneivel, Rufus and Ted Nugent. I wish I was able to be part of the lifestyle and atmosphere but was just a kid. Stories, photos and old vinyl are all I have left. I recently purchased photos post fire via ebay and it seems surreal. Good to see the acknowledgement of my fathers work here on the interweb.

doubl...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2016, 11:37:43 PM7/13/16
I played in a band that played the Rush up several times in the early 70's I have great memories of our gigs there. My best memories are of the pizza that I still can't find it's equal. I do have a lot of stories. My email is doubl...@gmail.com

luisre...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 3:07:26 AM1/5/17
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 1:26:50 AM UTC-4, jayp...@gmail.com wrote:
> My father owned the Rush Up. It was a hang out to Frank Zappa, Evil Kneivel, Rufus and Ted Nugent. I wish I was able to be part of the lifestyle and atmosphere but was just a kid. Stories, photos and old vinyl are all I have left. I recently purchased photos post fire via ebay and it seems surreal. Good to see the acknowledgement of my fathers work here on the interweb.

I remember the place, probably from the late mid 70s. It was a fabulous place to go listen to live music and hang out at the bar. The nickname Lolly seems to echo in my memory. Was he the owner or manager? I think there was a Pong video game near the front of the place, met wonderful people there. Those were wonderful; times.

Cindan...@aol.com

Mar 19, 2017, 9:29:07 PM3/19/17
Are you from the Kassel family? I heard one of my relatives owned rush up

spike...@gmail.com

May 2, 2017, 4:15:17 PM5/2/17
I was a waitress at Rush Up in 1973 and/or 1974. I am still in touch with Bobbie, the tall blonde bartender. Would be interesting to find a page about the place. I am also in touch with the manager, Jerry Panic's son.

metro...@gmail.com

May 28, 2017, 6:07:45 PM5/28/17
Was thinking about Rush Up today with the passing of Gregg Allman. I was in a band called The Soul Syndicate later known as Our Brothers Keeper on Columbia Records. In early summer of 1970 our band and the ABB were double booked one night at Rush Up. We played alternating sets. We used their gear since it was already setup. On one set one of their drummers, I think Butch Trucks didn't feel good. They asked if I wanted to sit in. I did although I didn't know their songs. I just followed the other drummer. I wasn't used to playing long blusey songs but got through it. At the time it didn't mean much. I was a young kid. I didn't know who they were. They hadn't hit big yet. In later years I realized what a cool experience that was. One of my fond life memories.

bone...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2018, 10:50:21 PM2/22/18

bone...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2018, 10:52:37 PM2/22/18
On Wednesday, June 4, 2008 at 3:11:34 PM UTC-5, Charles Ulrich wrote:
I spent many hours in the back room/bar in the late 60's it was a great place to be....our ski club would meet there also always crowded..Chicago transit authority played there before name change....great memories

mjf...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2018, 9:53:04 PM9/2/18
Watching Kracker perform at the Rush Up in the mid 70s was as good as it gets, great memories

gatewaytogo...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2018, 9:02:51 PM9/16/18
Former upstairs cocktail waitress; was fired from Alfie's for refusing to wear my hair down... crossed the street and got hired at RushUp.

gatewaytogo...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2018, 9:05:43 PM9/16/18
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 1:26:50 AM UTC-4, jayp...@gmail.com wrote:
> My father owned the Rush Up. It was a hang out to Frank Zappa, Evil Kneivel, Rufus and Ted Nugent. I wish I was able to be part of the lifestyle and atmosphere but was just a kid. Stories, photos and old vinyl are all I have left. I recently purchased photos post fire via ebay and it seems surreal. Good to see the acknowledgement of my fathers work here on the interweb.

I used to waitress upstairs... dated member of Rufus; Gavin. Oh the memories.

gatewaytogo...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2018, 9:09:36 PM9/16/18
So was I; I figured around 1972.

Matt Smith

Mar 29, 2023, 9:00:23 PM3/29/23
Hey Jay, so cool to hear! I was reading about the Allman Brothers playing there in 1970. Any chance you remember the address? Would love to check out the building.
Matt

Matt Smith

Mar 29, 2023, 9:06:19 PM3/29/23
Do you remember the address? Would be cool to stop by and check out the building!
Matt

Janice Menaul

Jul 9, 2023, 6:48:38 PM7/9/23
I saw Chaka Khan and Rufus there in early 1970s. Never forgot her, the band, or the club.

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/polk

Aug 9, 2023, 7:54:46 PM8/9/23

The Shrooms Chocolate Bars Online Store was established with the goal of quickly, amiably, discreetly, and consistently distributing extremely high-quality psychedelic products throughout the world.
https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com

Purchase psychedelic drugs online in the US, the UK, or anywhere else We offer a wide choice of psychedelic items, luxury products of the greatest standard, and we strongly prioritize wellness. We are a market leader in the online sale of psychedelic substances as a result of these factors.
https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com

Our highly competent personnel is pleased to share their knowledge and address your concerns in a decent, kind, and respectful manner. We have successfully sent thousands of orders around the world using extreme stealth, regardless of the laws in your country or state. We provide convenient payment options,
https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com

Screenshot_20221129-230423.png
https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/buy-albino-penis-envy-cubensis/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/buy-albino-penis-envy-cubensis/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/amazonian-cubensis/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/amazonian-cubensis/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/blue-meanies-cubensis/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/blue-meanies-cubensis/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/microdose-4-aco-dmt-deadhead-chemist/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/microdose-4-aco-dmt-deadhead-chemist/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/5-meo-dmt-cartridge-1ml/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/5-meo-dmt-cartridge-1ml/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/dmt-cartridge-and-battery-1ml-deadhead-chemist/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/dmt-cartridge-and-battery-1ml-deadhead-chemist/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/dmt-1ml-purecybin/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/dmt-1ml-purecybin/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/albert-hoffmann-300ug-raquo/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/albert-hoffmann-300ug-raquo/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/buy-lsd-gel-tabs-400ug/

https://buymushroomschocolatebars.com/product/buy-lsd-gel-tabs-400ug/

Ren Sanfilip

Dec 13, 2023, 1:17:31 PM12/13/23
On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 8:53:04 PM UTC-5, mjf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Watching Kracker perform at the Rush Up in the mid 70s was as good as it gets, great memories
Kracker was a great band...

Ren Sanfilip

Dec 13, 2023, 1:24:23 PM12/13/23
Beyond my being a customer...back in the 70's or so I was around a bar called Champagne John's...in Wheeling....and we made some memories....one of the so called owners...Jimmy Patten..said he owned Rush up....the only other person I knew who was affiliated with the bar was Bob? or Don?...Lolly.....all I know...and I am not afraid of any of it...was that Cook County holds the highest banner of Holy Shit time....and I loved it....I survived running in and out of the rain drops....huggss...

Ren Sanfilip

Dec 13, 2023, 1:30:33 PM12/13/23
Kracker was a great band....they played by us...and at Monopoly Rock Club..