Bust of FZ in Baltimore

Bice

Sep 29, 2021, 7:45:41 AM9/29/21

Reading the chapter in Charles Ulrich's book about the "Congress Shall
Make No Law" album, I was reminded that there's a bust of Zappa on
public display somewhere in Baltimore. My daughter got a job in
Baltmore a few months ago, and a quick bit of research revealed that
the bust was only about a half mile from her apartment, so on my last
visit I went and found it.

It's in front of a library, and pictures from pages like these:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/frank-zappa-bust

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/20759

make it look like it sits on a short pole in front of some bushes. I
drove right past it twice without seeing it because those "bushes"
have become full grown trees, and the bust is almost hidden within
them. Plus, that pole that the bust sits on, which looks to be three
or four feet high in the photos, is really about 10-12 feet high. The
current best view of the bust is obtained by standing on a concrete
planter in front of it and looking nearly straight up at it.

While I was walking around looking for it, there was a black guy on
the opposite street corner lecturing passersby through a bullhorn
about the evils of black men marrying outside their race. He started
listing the offenders: "Tiger Woods married a white woman! O.J.
Simpson married a white woman!" and some guy sitting near the base of
Zappa's bust yelled out "Yeah, and he killed the bitch too!"

Overall a fairly surreal and slightly frightening experience. Which
kind of suits a quest to find a bust of FZ.

-- Bob