New FZ/Flo & Eddie/ 1970 cd coming..!!!!

The old geezer

Jun 20, 2020, 8:23:49 AM6/20/20
Coming 6/26/20. n
A 4-CD collection commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 1970 Mothers with 70 unreleased tracks. Personnel includes Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan (Flo & Eddie), George Duke, Ian Underwood, Jeff Simmons and Aynsley Dunbar. Featuring unheard studio sessions from Trident Studios in London England with engineer Roy Thomas Baker, and historical live performances mostly captured by Zappa's own tape recorder. Clam Shell Box with 4 discs, booklet and a button.....!!!!!!!

The old geezer

Jun 22, 2020, 5:37:31 PM6/22/20
So.....? No one is excited about this release??

Ron Moses

Jun 22, 2020, 9:18:39 PM6/22/20
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 5:37:31 PM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
> So.....? No one is excited about this release??

I am. :|

ron

Ron Moses

Jun 26, 2020, 11:48:58 AM6/26/20
The Mothers 1970, now available on Spotify.

ron

Ron Moses

Jun 26, 2020, 6:32:55 PM6/26/20
On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 11:48:58 AM UTC-4, Ron Moses wrote:

> The Mothers 1970, now available on Spotify.

Holy cow! FOUR versions of Wonderful Wino?!? My prayers have been answered!

ron

The old geezer

Jun 26, 2020, 6:46:17 PM6/26/20
Eddie, Are you kidding??????

Snork

Jul 14, 2020, 10:04:37 AM7/14/20
Not all that excited about it, no. I haven't really become excited about new FZ releases for awhile. I think I realized that I'm already saturated through and through. The things that I have enjoyed were mostly items that had not been heard before - Lost Episodes maybe? I can only listen to so many "solos" too.

Even though Aynsley Dunbar is a great drummer, and Flo and Eddie are great singers, somehow this entire period of stuff doesn't get listened to much any more. I never got 1971 or JABFLA on CD.

On the whole I am not listening to a lot of music these days other than what I am trying to create myself. Am I a stuffed up old fuddy duddy? Probably.

The old geezer

Jul 14, 2020, 10:26:06 AM7/14/20
So, Ron.......How is it???

Ron Moses

Jul 14, 2020, 11:15:32 AM7/14/20
On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 10:26:06 AM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
> So, Ron.......How is it???

Honestly, I haven't spent that much time with it. I gave it one listen through, and I would describe it as enjoyable if somewhat repetitive. I did not find it at all revelatory. I think your enjoyment of this set will be directly proportional to your appreciation for this particular band. I'm at a sort of "yeah they're fine" level of appreciation, which probably explains my less-than-dynamic enthusiasm for The Mothers 1970.

ron

The old geezer

Jul 14, 2020, 3:33:02 PM7/14/20
The Mothers of ‘70/‘71 were most likely best enjoyed by seeing them Live. I had a chance to go to the Carnegie Hall concert but did not have the bread at the time. Have regretted it ever since. I still listen to side 2 of JABFLA....never to Side 1.... every other year or so & laugh but never the Fillmore album. Chunga’s Revenge is pretty good, too. I’m having my chimney repaired so I guess I’ll save the $$$.

Martin Gregorie

Jul 14, 2020, 4:02:54 PM7/14/20
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 07:04:35 -0700, Snork wrote:

> Not all that excited about it, no. I haven't really become excited
> about new FZ releases for awhile.

Same here.

I think that easily the best of the post 1993 releases is "Roxy By
Proxy", but then I also think that was the best band FZ ever had, at
least partly because I also like small group jazz.

Speaking of which, not so long ago I say down and played Dizzy Gillespie's
"Dizzy on the French Riviera" followed immediately by "Roxy By Proxy"
because I wondered if they would fit together - and they did. Perfectly.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Bice

Jul 15, 2020, 7:28:44 AM7/15/20
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 20:02:52 -0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
<mar...@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 07:04:35 -0700, Snork wrote:
>
>> Not all that excited about it, no. I haven't really become excited
>> about new FZ releases for awhile.
>>
>Same here.

Glad it's not just me. After not buying any new FZ for a few years, I
recently got the urge and bought the complete Roxy Performances boxed
set. I've listened to the whole thing twice so far, but I'm having a
hard time working up much excitement for it, even though I really like
the Roxy band. I think part of the problem is that most of the
material had already been released in one form or another.

I still haven't picked up the following, and would appreciate any
opinions anyone has about them:

Zappa in New York 40th Anniversary (5 CD set)
Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniversary (3 CD set)
Halloween '73 (4 CD set)
The Hot Rats Sessions (6 CD set)
The Mothers 1970 (already covered by this thread)

Out of that list, I'm leaning towards the Hot Rats Sessions as my next
purchase. Being a Zappa completist is getting to be an expensive
hobby.

-- Bob

Ron Moses

Jul 15, 2020, 3:35:54 PM7/15/20
On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 7:28:44 AM UTC-4, Bice wrote:

> I still haven't picked up the following, and would appreciate any
> opinions anyone has about them:
>
> Zappa in New York 40th Anniversary (5 CD set)
> Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniversary (3 CD set)
> Halloween '73 (4 CD set)
> The Hot Rats Sessions (6 CD set)
> The Mothers 1970 (already covered by this thread)

I've enjoyed the Orchestral Favorites set far more than I'd expected. I think it provides a nice perspective on that material in a relatively concise package. It's just the original album, a very good concert, and one alternate mix, so there's no useless trivia to sit through.

Disclaimer, I listen to all this stuff via Spotify, so there's no potential for buyer's remorse in my listening endeavors. Had I paid $X for it I might feel differently.

ron

The old geezer

Jul 15, 2020, 4:21:19 PM7/15/20
I recall paying mucho $$$$ for the 3 cd box set of SUAPYG and being very bummed out. I guess the “solos” were better when they were incorporated within the particular song but not as “stand alone”. Perhaps some fans dug it. I didn’t. It all became very monotonous after 2/3 cuts. I took it to the local used cd store (remember them) & bought some Paul Revere & the Raiders cds instead.....

Ron Moses

Jul 15, 2020, 7:00:39 PM7/15/20
On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 4:21:19 PM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
> I recall paying mucho $$$$ for the 3 cd box set of SUAPYG and being very bummed out. I guess the “solos” were better when they were incorporated within the particular song but not as “stand alone”. Perhaps some fans dug it. I didn’t. It all became very monotonous after 2/3 cuts. I took it to the local used cd store (remember them) & bought some Paul Revere & the Raiders cds instead.....

I've never been a huge fan of Frank's solos in general. Out of context, even less so.

ron

Bice

Jul 16, 2020, 7:12:49 AM7/16/20
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 12:35:52 -0700 (PDT), Ron Moses
<ronm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 7:28:44 AM UTC-4, Bice wrote:
>>=20
>> I still haven't picked up the following, and would appreciate any
>> opinions anyone has about them:
>>=20
>> Zappa in New York 40th Anniversary (5 CD set)
>> Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniversary (3 CD set)
>> Halloween '73 (4 CD set)
>> The Hot Rats Sessions (6 CD set)
>> The Mothers 1970 (already covered by this thread)
>
>I've enjoyed the Orchestral Favorites set far more than I'd expected.

That one was second on my potential purchase list, after the Hot Rats
set.

>Disclaimer, I listen to all this stuff via Spotify, so there's no potential=
>for buyer's remorse in my listening endeavors.

Sadly, I'm still a dinosaur that buys stuff on CD. Even though I
immediately rip it to MP3 and do most of my listening on my phone or
an old MP3 player.

I do still listen to CDs in my car occasionally. My wife just bought
a new car and having a CD player wasn't even an option. The young
salesman said "just hook your Spotify up through bluetooth". The idea
that anyone wouldn't use Spotify for all their music listening was
completely foreign to him.

-- Bob

Bice

Jul 16, 2020, 7:24:54 AM7/16/20
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 13:21:17 -0700 (PDT), The old geezer
<JY...@aol.com> wrote:

>I recall paying mucho $$$$ for the 3 cd box set of SUAPYG and being very
>bummed out. I guess the solos were better when they were incorporated
>within the particular song but not as stand alone. Perhaps some fans
>dug it. I didn't. It all became very monotonous after 2/3 cuts.

SUnPYG isn't my favorite Zappa album, but I can listen to and enjoy
it. Can't say the same for the 2-disc "Guitar" set. My reaction to
that one is the same as yours to SUnPYG - it all sounds the same and
gets boring fairly quickly.

>I took it to the local used cd store (remember them)

There's still a used CD store near here called 2nd and Charles. They
also sell used books, movies and video games. I just unloaded a small
pile of books and a couple CDs there yesterday (for $4 in store
credit, woo-boy).

They keep the books in meticulous order, but for some reason the CDs
are so scattered that you're lucky if you find a band under the right
letter of the alphabet, much less in any kind of sorted order. They
also have a big wall of "bargain" CDs that aren't in any order at all.

I've bought a few CDs there when I've had lots of time to browse, but
usually it's not worth the effort. Most of the artists they're
selling I've never heard of, partially because it's stuff no one
wants, but mostly becaue I've been completely out of touch with
popular music for the last 20+ years.

-- Bob

The old geezer

Jul 16, 2020, 7:36:41 AM7/16/20
The 2019 Subarus still have cd players in them due to customer demand/complaints. I have over 2,000 cds plus about 1,000 burned cds of my own making ( my favorite trax, etc.). No, Mr. Salesman, YOU download all that music to bluetooth ( whatever that is) if there’s no cd player in this car! Not for nothing, but how much would it cost ‘em to put a cd player in the car. Or at least as an option? They still put radios in cars!

Ron Moses

Jul 16, 2020, 9:19:34 AM7/16/20
On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 7:36:41 AM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
> Not for nothing, but how much would it cost ‘em to put a cd player in the car. Or at least as an option? They still put radios in cars!

That's a very good point. I've pretty fully adopted streaming at this point, for better or worse. It's really nice to get into my car, pop my phone into the mount, and say "Hey Google. Play the album Red by King Crimson." And it does.

ron

Martin Gregorie

Jul 16, 2020, 9:25:04 AM7/16/20
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 11:24:51 +0000, Bice wrote:

> SUnPYG isn't my favorite Zappa album, but I can listen to and enjoy it.
> Can't say the same for the 2-disc "Guitar" set. My reaction to that one
> is the same as yours to SUnPYG - it all sounds the same and gets boring
> fairly quickly.

My thoughts exactly.

Similarly I'm not all that keen on the post-1993 releases, with the
exception of "Roxy By Proxy": IMHO the best album that band ever
released. They're my favourite FZ line-up too, probably because they have
the most jazz feel.

I recently tested that by playing Dizzy Gillespie's "Dizzy On The French
Riviera" immediately followed by "Roxy By Proxy". Made a splendid listen
with much the same feeling running through both disks.

DOTFR is my favourite Gillespie album after "New Continent" - both were
scored by Lalo Schiffrin and both have him on piano. The two are quite
different: NC is big band and quite intense while DOTFR is a 5 piece band
playing a spur-of-the-moment gig in front of an invited audience to make
the album. If you don't know Gillespie's stuff, this is a good
introduction.

The old geezer

Jul 16, 2020, 12:02:12 PM7/16/20
Ron - But then “THEY” know who/what you are listening to!!!

Martin Gregorie

Jul 16, 2020, 2:27:16 PM7/16/20

Ron Moses

Jul 16, 2020, 2:55:31 PM7/16/20
On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 12:02:12 PM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
> Ron - But then “THEY” know who/what you are listening to!!!

THEY give me a lot of awesome free shit. They can have my playlists.

ron

The old geezer

Jul 16, 2020, 4:14:14 PM7/16/20
Exactly my point!

Bice

Jul 17, 2020, 7:39:09 AM7/17/20
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 04:36:39 -0700 (PDT), The old geezer
<JY...@aol.com> wrote:

>Not for nothing, but how much would it cost 'em to put a cd player
>in the car. Or at least as an option? They still put radios in cars!

For what it's worth, my wife's new car is a 2019 Prius. She bought it
because it has every bell and whistle Toyta puts in a car, and it was
$5000 off because it's last year's model and they were looking to get
it off the lot. But when we asked if putting a CD player in it was
even an option, the dealership said they absolutely couldn't do it,
and they'd be surprised if a third party could install one because of
the big navigation/control screen that takes up most of the dashboard.

The car has XM satellite radio (the free trial runs out in a couple
months), regular radio, an aux in port and bluetooth. The bluetooth
is...well, to be honest it's pretty shitty. It's always a fight to
get it to hook up to my phone or her MP3 player, and it tends to keep
freezing up. The only solution we've found is to pull over (you can't
change the settings while the car is moving, even if you're the
passenger), delete the device from the car's bluetooth settings and
the car from the device's settings then re-add everything from
scratch. It's a huge pain. Kind of amusing though because my wife
entered the name of her car as "Miss Moneypenny" in her bluetooth
system, so I get a notification that pops up on my phone and says
"Miss Moneypenny wants to pair with you."

Ironically, my 2016 Prius (one of the last models they made that still
had a CD player) has bluetooth that works flawlessly. And I rarely
use it because I just keep CDs in my car to listen to.

-- Bob

NotMe

Jul 21, 2020, 12:45:19 AM7/21/20
The new car should also have USB, load you're mp3s on a thumb drive for
in the car . Thumb drives are pretty cheap.

Bice

Jul 21, 2020, 7:14:20 AM7/21/20
>The new car should also have USB, load you're mp3s on a thumb drive for
>in the car . Thumb drives are pretty cheap.

It does indeed have USB as one of the audio options, but I haven't
even been able to convince my wife to put music files on her phone
(despite it having 100GB of storage space), so I doubt I'm going to be
able to convince her to use the USB option.

She seems pretty content with the XM radio, so she'll probably start
paying for that once the free trial runs out.

-- Bob

Amlyn

Jul 23, 2020, 9:38:19 AM7/23/20
I must say, Dunbar rocks on Mothers 1970. Disc 4 by far the best stuff

Also, Roxy Performances, for me, is the motherlode.

Also also, all my FZ stuff is on a 64Gb USB in my car - all releases plus lots of live recordings

The old geezer

Jul 23, 2020, 11:26:06 AM7/23/20
OK, so I have over1,000 cds & perhaps about 500+ burnt cds. So I am supposed to download (?) all these to my phone & then get Bluetooth ( whatever the f**k that is) installed to my 8 year old car & then I’ll be able to play ALL my cds!! Yeah, right. It is a lot easier just to put a cd in a cd player. Happy happy joy joy!!

Bice

Jul 24, 2020, 7:11:58 AM7/24/20
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 11:14:17 GMT, eich...@comcastsucks.net (Bice)
wrote:
It turns out my wife's already sick of XM radio since they tend to
repeat the same programming over and over, so now she's back to
wanting to play music via bluetooth.

And she came up with a great idea - she still had her previous phone
laying around, and the bluetooth and wifi on it still work, so she had
me install the MP3 playing app that I've been usign (Musicolet) and
she deleted everything off the phone's memory card and loaded up a
bunch of music. Converting a usless old smartphone into a dedicated
music player for her car. Wish I'd thought of that.

-- Bob

overcooked

Oct 12, 2020, 12:46:13 AM10/12/20
Bice, if you haven't gotten HRS, yet, then know it has loads of
attempts to play songs and is more of a historical exposition. it is
not an album to sit down and listen too, it is clearly too long. I
like it because it shows this large body of work that FZ spread around
several different albums. There is loads of entertaining stuff, but
also, loads of Zappa stopping the band and saying trying like &*(!
instead. Depends on the track for sure.

as for your list the first three are repetitive, show after show. I
like listening to them in parts.

- overcooked

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:11:53 GMT, eich...@comcastsucks.net (Bice)

Bice

Oct 13, 2020, 7:40:39 AM10/13/20
On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 22:46:07 -0600, overcooked
<overc...@fakeyfake.com> wrote:

>Bice, if you haven't gotten HRS, yet, then know it has loads of
>attempts to play songs and is more of a historical exposition. it is
>not an album to sit down and listen too, it is clearly too long. I
>like it because it shows this large body of work that FZ spread around
>several different albums. There is loads of entertaining stuff, but
>also, loads of Zappa stopping the band and saying trying like &*(!
>instead. Depends on the track for sure.

Hot Rats Sessions ended up being the one from that list that I bought.
I like it a lot. I frequently take my dog for long walks, and the HRS
set provided great background music for those walks for a few weeks.

I particularly liked hearing the gradual evolution of Peaches En
Regalia. And those half-hour jam tracks are perfect for long walks.

-- Bob