Smoking Sumtin' Funny on the Water

FrankZappy

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
In the April, 1999 issue of Guitar magazine there is an interview with former
Deep Purple guitarist (and my idol for many years) Ritchie Blackmore. In the
article Ritchie mentions Zappa two separate times. In the first instance while
discussing the abuse Blackmore had to handle from the record company he says:
"As Frank Zappa would say, "I smell a rat""

The next quote follows:

Q: Can you elaborate on the story told in "Smoke on the Water"?

A. We were sitting there watching Frank Zappa play and suddenly someone had
one of those flare guns and decided to let it off. It set the roof on fire.
Frank turned around and said, "Now everybody clam down." He then threw down
his guitar and jumped out the window. It was quite funny. He wanted to be the
first one out. We then had about 15 minutes before the place was gutted, which
was frightening.

If memory serves when Frank told the story he was more like a traffic cop and
made sure all the kids got out first. Ritchie never took drugs, but did tend
to drink so maybe his recollection of Zappa leaping out a window is blurred, so
the question is: what really happened? Did Zappa throw down his guitar (SG?)
and leap out the window while Blackmore sat calmly and observed as the place
burned down or is this like the Kurosawa film Rashamon, where everyone
remembers things somewhat differently?

Jon Naurin

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
FrankZappy writes:
>the question is: what really happened? Did Zappa throw down his guitar (SG?)
>and leap out the window while Blackmore sat calmly and observed as the place
>burned down or is this like the Kurosawa film Rashamon, where everyone
>remembers things somewhat differently?

Don't know, but 'tis a helluva great film!

- Jon

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-= To reply, swap "swop" for "swip" in my address. =-=
=-= =-=
=-= Check out the Zappa concert database FZShows at: =-=
=-= http://www.frontiernet.net/~prem/fzshows.htm =-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

<***> NINJA <**/*>

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
>In the April, 1999 issue of Guitar magazine there is an interview with former
>Deep Purple guitarist (and my idol for many years) Ritchie Blackmore. In the
>article Ritchie mentions Zappa two separate times. In the first instance while
>discussing the abuse Blackmore had to handle from the record company he says:
>"As Frank Zappa would say, "I smell a rat""
>
>The next quote follows:
>
>Q: Can you elaborate on the story told in "Smoke on the Water"?
>
>A. We were sitting there watching Frank Zappa play and suddenly someone had
>one of those flare guns and decided to let it off. It set the roof on fire.
>Frank turned around and said, "Now everybody clam down." He then threw down
>his guitar and jumped out the window. It was quite funny. He wanted to be the
>first one out. We then had about 15 minutes before the place was gutted, which
>was frightening.
>
>If memory serves when Frank told the story he was more like a traffic cop and
>made sure all the kids got out first. Ritchie never took drugs, but did tend
>to drink so maybe his recollection of Zappa leaping out a window is blurred, so
>the question is: what really happened? Did Zappa throw down his guitar (SG?)
>and leap out the window while Blackmore sat calmly and observed as the place
>burned down or is this like the Kurosawa film Rashamon, where everyone
>remembers things somewhat differently?

if i remember correctly you can hear zappa directing people to leave safly and calmly while the placce was on fire

this is ironically on the boot fire

well ok not so ironically
interested in trading zappa

or buying something from my collection

email me for the current list

moe...@geocities.com

Kristian Kier

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
On 18 Feb 1999 17:03:54 GMT, frank...@aol.com (FrankZappy) wrote:

>In the April, 1999 issue of Guitar magazine there is an interview with former
>Deep Purple guitarist (and my idol for many years) Ritchie Blackmore. In the
>article Ritchie mentions Zappa two separate times. In the first instance while
>discussing the abuse Blackmore had to handle from the record company he says:
>"As Frank Zappa would say, "I smell a rat""
>
>The next quote follows:
>
>Q: Can you elaborate on the story told in "Smoke on the Water"?
>
>A. We were sitting there watching Frank Zappa play and suddenly someone had
>one of those flare guns and decided to let it off. It set the roof on fire.
>Frank turned around and said, "Now everybody clam down." He then threw down
>his guitar and jumped out the window. It was quite funny. He wanted to be the
>first one out. We then had about 15 minutes before the place was gutted, which
>was frightening.
>
>If memory serves when Frank told the story he was more like a traffic cop and
>made sure all the kids got out first. Ritchie never took drugs, but did tend
>to drink so maybe his recollection of Zappa leaping out a window is blurred, so
>the question is: what really happened? Did Zappa throw down his guitar (SG?)
>and leap out the window while Blackmore sat calmly and observed as the place
>burned down or is this like the Kurosawa film Rashamon, where everyone
>remembers things somewhat differently?

Roger Glover had other memories of this event. He didn´t mention Zappa
jumping out of the window, he only said "...he rushed off the stage
followed by his amused and bewildered band." That´s what says the
liner notes to "Machine Head" Anniversary Edition.

-Kristian