WOIIFTM CD SUCKS! was Re: This seems a semi-appropriate fan-type posting

Kevin Sullivan

Sep 19, 1991, 10:51:32 AM9/19/91
In article <DGD.91Se...@cs.bu.edu>, d...@cs.bu.edu (David Durand) writes:
|> Also, did everyone else find the remix of "We're Only in it for
|> the Money" to be annoyingly bad? I find that I still have to rely on
|> my ancient pressing, as Deazil's bass work is not up to snuff. Most of
|> the other re-releases were OK (like Freak Out). IMHO.

YES! I was waiting for someone to bring this up. The rerecorded bass and drums
on this cd sound dated to the time of the rerecording; they just don't fit with
the music. I was very disappointed by this cd and can only hope to trade it in
for a used copy of the original on vinyl. So Freak Out is listenable? Does it
have rerecorded bass and drums? The local used record guy here wants $40 for
his original pressing, but he's got another one for $20, so how does the cd sound
compared to the lp? Does anyone have both that can compare them?

BTW my favorite is Sheik Yerbouti, then Joe's Garage. To the guy (Michael Lamoureux -- thanks for the discography and opinions) that bashed Thing-Fish: I
think it's very good but it gets tiring about an hour into it. That's right
before the briefcase and fountain pen action begins. Also I happen to like Ike
Willis' "annoying" voice. This whole album is a hilarious trashing of all the
typical crap on Br-r-r-roadway!

Kevin Sullivan

Jan Aaberg

Sep 20, 1991, 5:28:29 AM9/20/91
In article <1991Sep19....@ducvax.auburn.edu> kev...@eng.auburn.edu (Kevin Sullivan) writes:

>YES! I was waiting for someone to bring this up. The rerecorded bass and drums
>on this cd sound dated to the time of the rerecording; they just don't fit with
>the music. I was very disappointed by this cd and can only hope to trade it in
>for a used copy of the original on vinyl. So Freak Out is listenable? Does it
>have rerecorded bass and drums? The local used record guy here wants $40 for
>his original pressing, but he's got another one for $20, so how does the cd sound
>compared to the lp? Does anyone have both that can compare them?

The only albums that have re-recorded bits (notable bass and drums) on
them are WOIIFTM and Ruben & The Jets, the other oldies being merely
"digitally refurbished & spiffed up", to use Frank's own wording.
Hot Rats is remixed using additional material from the original sessions,
whatever that means (I haven't heard it myself, though I've heard that
it sounds about the same as the original), and Uncle Meat has had 40
minutes or so of film dialogue added to it, plus a song called
"Tengo na minchia tanta" (Anyone knows if that one really is from the movie?).

I haven't heard any of the CDs, but I suppose they're the same as
the re-released LPs from the "Old Masters vol. I" boxed set, in which case
at least Absolutely Free sounds just like the original, and I suppose
Freak Out and Lumpy Gravy do too. The little I've heard from R&TJ didn't
sound quite as bad as WOIIFTM. Concerning WOIIFTM, I think getting an
original copy is definitely worth it. This album came in at least three
versions with slightly different mixes, depending on what backmasked
and/or naughty bits the record company in various countries saw fit
to cut out. That subject is worth a thread all by itself.

By the way, over here an original copy of Freak Out in good condition
is worth about $60-$70.

Janne

John Howells

Sep 20, 1991, 11:40:54 AM9/20/91
Not only have some instruments been re-recorded, but tempos have been
changed as well. "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" is speeded up too
much and doesn't sound right.

On the other hand, there is much that is *right* with the new version.
For instance, it's nice to hear Ian Underwood's sax break at the end of
"Who Needs the Peace Corps".

--
FRANK ZAPPA | John Howells
for | how...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

Bruce Walton

Sep 23, 1991, 9:53:12 AM9/23/91
In article <1991Sep19....@ducvax.auburn.edu> kev...@eng.auburn.edu (Kevin Sullivan) writes:
>In article <DGD.91Se...@cs.bu.edu>, d...@cs.bu.edu (David Durand) writes:
>|> Also, did everyone else find the remix of "We're Only in it for
>|> the Money" to be annoyingly bad? I find that I still have to rely on
>|> my ancient pressing, as Deazil's bass work is not up to snuff. Most of
>|> the other re-releases were OK (like Freak Out). IMHO.

>YES! I was waiting for someone to bring this up. The rerecorded bass and drums

I like the remixed (ADD) "money" CD... but I didn't think that the "dweez"
was responsible for the bass parts. Wasn't it scott thunes?

I have the original LP, too. It's nice to have two versions of this
music, it allows one to pick up different nuances in each.

Freak Out CD does not contain overdubs from the 80's, sounds more like
it's just a remastering job (AAD).

"the influence of a frozen beef pie" -bruce.
Bruce Walton systems administrator
br...@ai.mit.edu MIT artificial intelligence lab
617-253-9667 545 tech sq. cambridge, MA 02139

Lars P. Fischer

Sep 23, 1991, 6:29:20 PM9/23/91

John> Not only have some instruments been re-recorded, but tempos have been
John> changed as well. "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" is speeded up too
John> much and doesn't sound right.

Definitely. I get the impression that they desperately wanted to put
two LPs on one CD and went "hey, if we speed this thing up a bit,
it'll just fit". I can't really imagine Zappa doing a thing like that,
but then, why else would he ruin the album like that.

John> On the other hand, there is much that is *right* with the new version.
John> For instance, it's nice to hear Ian Underwood's sax break at the end of
John> "Who Needs the Peace Corps".

Well, I can't say I think it's *right*, but, yes, the CD releases do
buy us some details we didn't get before, and a few things *are*
easier to understand.
--
Lars Fischer, fis...@iesd.auc.dk | It takes an uncommon mind to think of
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | these things. -- Calvin

William Hobbs

Jan 8, 2024, 12:34:26 AMJan 8
On Monday, September 23, 1991 at 5:29:20 PM UTC-5, Lars P. Fischer wrote:

> I get the impression that they desperately wanted to put
> two LPs on one CD and went "hey, if we speed this thing up a bit,
> it'll just fit". I can't really imagine Zappa doing a thing like that,
> but then, why else would he ruin the album like that.

I think if it wasn't an intentional artistic statement he would've done the syndicated television program thing and just barely speed things up just enough mostly retain the original pitch.