reviews: Firesign Theatre biography

Ben Ohmart

Dec 25, 2009, 7:54:46 PM12/25/09
"BearManor Media, one of the more engaging publishers of entertainment
related books, commemorates Firesign Theatre with this collection of
four meaty interviews-one with each of the group's
principals-assembled from discussions and follow-up emails and letters
dating from 1994 to 2001. The combined transcriptions were polished to
avoid redundancy, and vetted by FT.
"The interviews, conducted by Frederick Wiebel Jr. and others
are substantial in both length and thought. Questions are framed
succinctly and smartly, and exhibit that gift that escapes so many
interviewers: an ability to listen, and to encourage the subjects to
elaborate on previous responses.
"The book has useful appendices that include a select
discography covering FT, duets and solo work; discography photos
(sleeves and labels); and a photo chronology that reveals FT in the
recording studio and on stage. Ad pages direct the interested reader
to sources for FT CDs and other items."
FILMFAX

"Backwards into the Future: The Recorded History of the Firesign
Theatre by Frederick C. Wiebel, Jr. Firezine.net). L.A.'s surreally
funny foursome are as hard to categorize as they are to historicize
but this compendium has interviews and archival photos, with
discography, photo chronology and delightful bits of brilliantly silly
symbology all along the way. Wiebel, who is the Grand Poobah of
Firesigniana, having documented them hysterically and historically
through his Firezine publication, has now put it all between two
covers and allows us to eat it raw. Ken Kesey's back cover comment
that 'these people are revolutionaries' is most apt, for Phil Proctor,
Peter Bergman, David Ossman and Phil Austin have predicted so much of
where we have gone. Firesign is the quantum mechanics of comedy. They
cover space and time simultaneously and despite our delight, we cannot
explain where they are at any given moment."
BRAD SCHRIEBER/ENTERTAINMENT TODAY 5/10/06

http://www.bearmanormedia.com