What's your interpretation of 'Anywhere is'?

Eric

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
To all Enya lovers:

I like the song of anywhere is in MOT. I like its flowing and rhythmic music.
Having said that, I have to admit, I have trouble understanding what she is
trying to say in the lyrics. Specifically, what is 'anywhere is' supposed to
mean in the song?

What's your interpretation?

Regards,

Eric

Bill Bourn

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
epc...@eden.rutgers.edu (Eric) wrote:

>I like the song of anywhere is in MOT. I like its flowing and rhythmic music.
>Having said that, I have to admit, I have trouble understanding what she is
>trying to say in the lyrics. Specifically, what is 'anywhere is' supposed to
>mean in the song?

I take the phrase "Anywhere is" to be the last part of an
interrupted lamentation that is the chorus. In support of this,
consider the interval between the "is" of the first chorus and the
following line. The singer is so distracted that her thought can't be
completed.

My guesses as to what should or would or could follow "Anywhere
is" in that song: bleak; hopeless; no improvement.

"Anywhere is" is the most sophisticated and up-beat sounding song
describing a desperate and confused life that I can think of.

Darren Shu

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
bbo...@nai.net (Bill Bourn) writes:

>epc...@eden.rutgers.edu (Eric) wrote:

>>I like the song of anywhere is in MOT. I like its flowing and rhythmic music.
>>Having said that, I have to admit, I have trouble understanding what she is
>>trying to say in the lyrics. Specifically, what is 'anywhere is' supposed to
>>mean in the song?

> I take the phrase "Anywhere is" to be the last part of an
>interrupted lamentation that is the chorus. In support of this,
>consider the interval between the "is" of the first chorus and the
>following line. The singer is so distracted that her thought can't be
>completed.

> My guesses as to what should or would or could follow "Anywhere
>is" in that song: bleak; hopeless; no improvement.

That's interesting. I always interpreted "Anywhere is" as
"to each his/her own path."

-Darren
------------------------
s...@expert.cc.purdue.edu

Jared Roberts

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
Bill Bourn wrote:
the song?

> I take the phrase "Anywhere is" to be the last part of an
> interrupted lamentation that is the chorus. In support of this,
> consider the interval between the "is" of the first chorus and the
> following line. The singer is so distracted that her thought can't be
> completed.

In other words, wherever her mind turns to, begins a new beginning and
never finds a finish? :)

--Jared

Jeffry Conrad

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
to s...@expert.cc.purdue.edu
s...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Darren Shu) wrote:
>bbo...@nai.net (Bill Bourn) writes:
>
>>epc...@eden.rutgers.edu (Eric) wrote:
>
>>>I like the song of anywhere is in MOT. I like its flowing and rhythmic music.
>>>Having said that, I have to admit, I have trouble understanding what she is
>>>trying to say in the lyrics. Specifically, what is 'anywhere is' supposed to
>>>mean in the song?

>> I take the phrase "Anywhere is" to be the last part of an
>>interrupted lamentation that is the chorus. In support of this,
>>consider the interval between the "is" of the first chorus and the
>>following line. The singer is so distracted that her thought can't be
>>completed.
>
>> My guesses as to what should or would or could follow "Anywhere
>>is" in that song: bleak; hopeless; no improvement.
>
>That's interesting. I always interpreted "Anywhere is" as
>"to each his/her own path."
>
>-Darren
>------------------------
>s...@expert.cc.purdue.edu

It is interesting to hear other's take on such things. I recently started
reading the posts here and after several years of getting "In your what?"

My general impression of "Anywhere is" is more of a parable of life. As
it says in the song "I walk the maze of moments, but everywhere I turn
begins a new beginning. . ." etc. That put in the mind set of every
moment is NOW. It was once now, it will eventually be now. It can be the
beginning of something or the end. So along the same lines "anywhere is
(here)".

All the lyrics seem very subjective and have something to do with motion
or distance. It seems like a Enya style take on poetic playfullness. A
way to rub your nose in the fact you should wake up, look around and live
the moment, realize you are someplace and somewhen you will never pass
through again.

But that's just one man's opionion...JC

Justin McPherson

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
s...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Darren Shu) wrote:

>>epc...@eden.rutgers.edu (Eric) wrote:

>> I take the phrase "Anywhere is" to be the last part of an
>>interrupted lamentation that is the chorus. In support of this,
>>consider the interval between the "is" of the first chorus and the
>>following line. The singer is so distracted that her thought can't be
>>completed.

>> My guesses as to what should or would or could follow "Anywhere
>>is" in that song: bleak; hopeless; no improvement.

>That's interesting. I always interpreted "Anywhere is" as
>"to each his/her own path."

I read the song as a real "living in the moment" thing. Very zen like
to me, and when you're there .. Anywhere IS ... :)

justin

Jeffry Conrad

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
to jus...@leprechaun.com.au
jus...@leprechaun.com.au (Justin McPherson) wrote:

>I read the song as a real "living in the moment" thing. Very zen like
>to me, and when you're there .. Anywhere IS ... :)
>
>justin

YES! Very Zen. Sort of Carpe Diem in a quiet thoughtfull way. I also
read into a seperateness. That each of us is in our own private "moment."

But then, that's just my view...JC

Lorne Cummings

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96

>I read the song as a real "living in the moment" thing. Very zen like
>to me, and when you're there .. Anywhere IS ... :)
>

>justin

I agree, I think the song is a searching song. ie "I walk to the horizon
and there I find another". About searching for the higher meaning in
life, but never finding the ultimate state or the ongoing knowledge of
life. Looking for the answer in the stars etc, Orion. One thing I cannot
comprehend about the song is what she means when she says "If you go there
your gone forever. If I go there I'll lose my way. I f we stay here were
not together"..Is it spirituality she is talking about??, modern gender
conflict??..I am still trying to figure...Best song on the album is "China
Roses"..A MAGICAL LULLABY..

Lorne

Alan Silverstein

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
> One thing I cannot comprehend about the song is what she means when
> she says, "If you go there you're gone forever. If I go there I'll
> lose my way. If we stay here we're not together"...

My take on it is: The main verse is about seeking meaning in and paths
through life in general, while the chorus is about intimate
relationships with other people. If I don't hang on to you, I'll lose
you. If I try to follow where you go, I lose myself. If we try it
stick together, it's still difficult. Anywhere is... equally
perplexing, challenging, wonderful; it's all different yet it's all the
same.

Carl Grinnell

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
s...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Darren Shu) wrote:

>>>I like the song of anywhere is in MOT. I like its flowing and rhythmic music.
>>>Having said that, I have to admit, I have trouble understanding what she is
>>>trying to say in the lyrics. Specifically, what is 'anywhere is' supposed to
>>>mean in the song?

>> I take the phrase "Anywhere is" to be the last part of an

>>interrupted lamentation that is the chorus. In support of this,
>>consider the interval between the "is" of the first chorus and the
>>following line. The singer is so distracted that her thought can't be
>>completed.

I would like to offer a different thought on the matter.

Over time I have listened to many songs that can have many levels
of meaning. Some songs have an obvious top laver of meaning and one
or more sub layers. You find the layers by studing the lyrics and
deciding what they could possibly mean, then use the meanings that
matter most to you.

If the song is ambiguous then one possibility is that at least some
parts of the lyrics don't actually mean anything; the words might
hace been chosen for their tonal qualities.

When I was in Jr High school we were given the assignment of
diagraming Lewis Carroll's 'Jabberwocky'. Many of the words in that
poem are nonsense words but the poem is nonetheless grammatically and
tonally correct . It is possibly to tell from the context which part
of speech is represented by each word. Each person who reads
Jabberwocky will have a slightly different idea of what it means.

If a lyric such as Enya's 'Anywhere Is' uses real words combined in
unconventional ways then the meaning is even more obscure. Anywhere
is is just about the best sounding piece of music I have ever heard.
When it is combined with the visual flow of the video it becomes a
masterpiece, however' I'm not sure that the lyrics were written so
much for thier meaning as for there sounds.

And there is my two cents worth.

Carl Grinnell

Jeffry Conrad

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
to carl...@scott.net
I think that your thought is quite probably true. However, I think Enya
is quite good enough to work out lyrics that both have the correct tonal
qualities yet have an obvious meaning to her. Now, as you pointed out,
when "poetic" methods are used the reader (in this case listener) will
provide their own meanings. Assuming they have any imagination.
(Something sadly lacking in many and I think one reason Enya is not even
more popular. One has to have some imagination to get the most from her
work.) I think we could go on indefinitely and not find ALL the meanings
to "Anywhere is."

Of course, the only way to find out what she was thinking while writing or
recording the song is to ask her. ;-)

And also of course, half the fun is finding out what each different person
gets out of such a work! I have been finding this thread quite
interesting and hope it continues.

But that's just one man's opinion...JC

J Mallot

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
Please be aware that Enya does all the voices and instruments herself and
she also writes the music. The words, however, are written by Nicky Ryan
afterwards. Kind of bass ackwards, but if it ain't broken. . .why fix it.

Enya discussed her Anywhere video on VH1 and after it was over nobody
could tell you where anywhere is, including her. She is a lovely lass
with a nice, weak voice thatwhen amplified and layered sounds like the
marching song for Patton's third army. But she gives bad interviews. See
the Enya home page for "Miss Prim of Pop" for details. A thoroughly nice
person.

SWade

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96

jma...@aol.com (J Mallot) wrote:

>Please be aware that Enya does all the voices and instruments herself and
>she also writes the music. The words, however, are written by Nicky Ryan
>afterwards. Kind of bass ackwards, but if it ain't broken. . .why fix it.

Uh, Nicky produces ... It's Roma that writes the lyrics. And, both
Eithne and Roma have indicated that there is such a strong
understanding between them that Roma is only interpreting the thoughts
Eithne is expressing with the music ... Check out Smaonite ... from
Shepherd Moons ... definitely written by a granddaughter to much-loved
grandparents!

>Enya discussed her Anywhere video on VH1 and after it was over nobody
>could tell you where anywhere is, including her. She is a lovely lass
>with a nice, weak voice thatwhen amplified and layered sounds like the
>marching song for Patton's third army. But she gives bad interviews. See
>the Enya home page for "Miss Prim of Pop" for details. A thoroughly nice
>person.

Personally, I don't feel her spoken voice is weak. If anything, it's
a refreshing break from the screeching, jargonized voices of most
others ... And, she was very articulate. Soft spoken but wielding a
powerful message!

**** be kind to your mind! ****

ufa...@gmail.com

May 27, 2020, 9:46:34 AM5/27/20