From Spike On, What is Your Favorite Elvis CD?

lazu...@webtv.net

May 15, 2009, 3:12:28 PM5/15/09
I think Spike, All This Useless Beauty and Brutal Youth are
outstanding..couldn't pick one. Momofuku is one of his worst, still
pretty good for anybody else, but the ballads are turgid and the rockers
aren't that fresh sounding..Stella Hurt, Turpentine, and Go Away though
are pretty damn good.

lazu...@webtv.net

May 27, 2009, 1:57:33 PM5/27/09
Well..let's not overdue the enthusiasm. Just because we had some idiot
troll from England named Ian Stewart a couple years back who got his
jolles being a jackass doesn't mean we can't get a little dialogue
going. If you think Momofuku is great and I'm full of it..fine..just say
something sorta interesting.

TinyHandsOfConcrete

Aug 1, 2009, 6:04:35 PM8/1/09
from spike onwards, clearly brutal youth and allthis useless beauty are head
and shoulders above everything else though i do have a fondness for the
juliette letters

<lazu...@webtv.net> wrote in message

TinyHandsOfConcrete

Aug 1, 2009, 6:07:07 PM8/1/09
Ian Stewart not around anymore?

lazu...@webtv.net

Aug 7, 2009, 3:16:11 AM8/7/09
Yup-Brutal Youth and All This Useless Beauty are brilliant..Juliet
Letters is pretty interesting-about half brillant and the other half
well turgid,joyless, hard to listen to ...kinda like all his albums
since Spike really...

lazu...@webtv.net

Aug 14, 2009, 2:42:20 AM8/14/09
I thought Painted From Memory was surprisingly good completely forgot
about that-very difficult to write those types of songs. Songs are
clearly better, than on the new one and his collaborration with
Toussaint.Delivery Man was very good too.. but though his stuff has
always been not exactly uplifting, the early stuff has a real spirit
with the bile, along with lyrics that really grab you.

MFalc1

Aug 19, 2009, 1:26:55 PM8/19/09

My favorite Elvis from this decade is WHEN I WAS CRUEL.

Mark L. Falconer
http://www.poetry-arts-confidential.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/terrymcca
[with new video NEVER MET BUKOWSKI]

lazu...@webtv.net

Aug 24, 2009, 3:58:36 PM8/24/09
I liked Cruel Smile better-more spontaneous, more fun..the remixes are
really good. 45-Doll Revolution-Soul For Hire-wiwc starts off great, but
I think it loses momentum in the middle with Alibi seems to go on
forever and lose it's impetus..and Dissolve.. a long time since I heard
it, but a lot more good stuff than the new one. I can't believe he puts
out mediocre junk like the title song From Sulphur To Sugarcane, which
wouldn't even have been recorded up thru'86, or at least made an album.

lazu...@webtv.net

Aug 25, 2009, 3:16:36 PM8/25/09
Also-the perversity of Elvis, the best song on the album I thought was
the title song When I Was Cruel, that is on Cruel Smile-I like WIWC 2,
but both of them together would have been dynamite..

Arnold Gallagher

Jan 2, 2010, 2:01:04 AM1/2/10
All This Useless Beauty was my all-time favorite album by anyone for 10
years. Now it's close, but I may like Al Stewart's A Beachful of Shells a
bit better. I do remember ATUB was sharply criticized by critics and fans
at the time, kind of making me feel like the idiot with no taste for liking
it so much...but it was so damn good, what was I going to do--pretend not
to like it?