Who is the Battered Old Bird?

David E. Rondeau

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
My recent list of EC's worst has brought out strong emotional responses
that I can't quite understand. Especially the response to my inclusion of
Battered Old Bird.
Can someone please explain to me what is so great about this song? Just
quoting lyrics and saying it haunts you is not enough.
Hell, I don't even know what the song is about. Who is the Battered Old
Bird? What does it mean that pieces of him are scattered in the attic? What
does dancing on a bonfire and swallowing sleeping pills like dreams mean?
Just how many characters are in this song?
What is the overall feeling I'm supposed to be getting from this song? It
honestly has had no effect on me.
Also, what is so great about the tune itself and the (lack of) musical
accompaniment?
Prove to me it's greatness and you will silence my criticism.

AlMcGreg

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
Wow. Don't you have any imagination?
I think this is one of those songs that, as Elvis says, is like a room.
You can go in, walk around, and come out with your own meaning.

This song is one of my favorites but I'm not going to tell you what I
think it means.

Obviously, if someone has to explain to you line by line "what it's about"
then you'll never be able to appreciate it.

Al

Rickey Wright

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96
AlMcGreg (almc...@aol.com) wrote:
: Wow. Don't you have any imagination?

EC gives an explanation in the notes of the Ryko "Blood & Chocolate." Of
course, he could be telling us some lies, as he promised in the promo for
the VH1 show. . . .
ric...@infi.net
"There's enough bad vibes in this room to run a hoodoo factory."
-- Jimmy James

David E. Rondeau

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

In article <4r4bm1$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

almc...@aol.com (AlMcGreg) wrote:
>Wow. Don't you have any imagination?
>I think this is one of those songs that, as Elvis says, is like a room.
>You can go in, walk around, and come out with your own meaning.
>
>This song is one of my favorites but I'm not going to tell you what I
>think it means.
>
>Obviously, if someone has to explain to you line by line "what it's about"
>then you'll never be able to appreciate it.

I think the song leaves too much to the imagination. I don't think anyone
can come up with a reasonable explanation of it. I think it means something
to EC but he failed to convey that to the listener.
Why the secrecy on what you think the meaning is? Are you too embarrassed
to say? Or is it beneath you?

David E. Rondeau

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

In article <4r5ge6$m...@nw101.infi.net>,
ric...@infi.net (Rickey Wright) wrote:

>EC gives an explanation in the notes of the Ryko "Blood & Chocolate." Of
>course, he could be telling us some lies, as he promised in the promo for
>the VH1 show. . . .

Yes, I read the explanation. But without that, would anybody be able to
tell what the song is about?

H9A8L53

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

why do you really care who the bird is? If it comes down to the simple
who, then we must ask who "left years ago to join the minstry". I, though
meny may disagree with me, feel the song speaks to the effects of the
break up of family on childern. Here one for a new list of songs by e.c.,
ones that deal with childern and the broken home. I'll start....last boat
leaving

k e starnes

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

wrote:

> Wow. Don't you have any imagination?
> I think this is one of those songs that, as Elvis says, is like a room.
> You can go in, walk around, and come out with your own meaning.
>
> This song is one of my favorites but I'm not going to tell you what I
> think it means.
>
> Obviously, if someone has to explain to you line by line "what it's about"
> then you'll never be able to appreciate it.
>

> Al

Thatcher??

Ole E has a distaste for the T woman...

Let 'em dangle

I'll stomp the dirt down.......

Read the liner notes......And use your little cerebrum........

)that little atom in you(

I will return........I will not burn.....

K. E. Starnes
ks...@carbonware.com
http://www.carbonware.com

"Where in the waste is the wisdom?"
James Joyce

David Ware

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

>Can someone please explain to me what is so great about this song? Just
>quoting lyrics and saying it haunts you is not enough.

Well, that's a judgement call, now isn't it. If someone is haunted by it,
and that makes it great, let it be. Haven't you ever enjoyed a movie or book
because of a single line or image? It is possible...

>Hell, I don't even know what the song is about. Who is the Battered Old
>Bird? What does it mean that pieces of him are scattered in the attic?

Could be an allusion to the fact that much of his humanity or personality has
become a part of his past? I'm not sure, but it's a very emotionally sung line.
Grabs the attention, no?

What
>does dancing on a bonfire and swallowing sleeping pills like dreams mean?

Holy, be a bit more literal, could you. You ask for concrete meaning while slamming
the poetic quality of the song. You must realize that as much can be learned from
what is not said, as by what is...

The lines could mean a number of things, and the man himself would leave it up
to your interpretation. Could mean a man who has gone primal, or mad, or just
enjoyed his own thing...

>Just how many characters are in this song?

How many do you need?

>What is the overall feeling I'm supposed to be getting from this song? It
>honestly has had no effect on me.

Again, this is fine. If you don't like or aren't moved by the song, wonderful.
Move on, find something else. Don't feel like you've been left out. And remember
that others do find the song meaningful, they have different experiences, lives.
Maybe it stirs some memories or events from someone's past, about insensitive
people, or misguided youth. Who am I to tell you or anyone what is emotional, or
even good, for that matter.

>Also, what is so great about the tune itself and the (lack of) musical
>accompaniment?

Again, much can be learned by what is not there, as by what is. Listen to some
quadrupally overdubbed version of the latest Oasis song, and tell me there isn't
something to be said to sparcity. I enjoy the lack of accompniment. Gives the song
a more intimate feel. The same goes for the extra tracks on My Aim....

>Prove to me it's greatness and you will silence my criticism.

I don't care to do either, just providing some food for thought.

Dave

AlMcGreg

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

God I love this one.
Lyrically, there is a dark oppressive madness that is baseline in the
song.
All the tenants of this building have disturbing problems. I think the
song works fine as a distorted depiction of troubled characters all living
in this building (perhaps this was a place where the singer once lived).

More than that I think the song is about dealing with problems by avoiding
them and using all the wrong outlets for pain. I think it also is about
how one generation passes its burdens on to the next. Isn't it
inevitable? "He'd better have a dream that goes beyond four walls."
But then again, that's just some of the things I think about when I hear
the song. I might hear something different the next time I listen.

The simple melody and sparse instrumentation in the song ensure that EC's
strong vocal predominates. The two bridges, the first and second floors,
I think are especially captivating . The last two lines of the final
verse bring madness and confusion to a climax. And then the way Elvis
screams the final chorus. Gee, I can't believe people hate this song so
much!

To be honest, I have know definite idea of what EC intended with this
song. But that's the beauty of his songwriting isn't it? Rarely can you
be sure of what he is thinking. He draws an intriguing sketch though and
allows us fill in the details. I think it would be fruitless to try to
analyze it line by line. You don't want to undo the fabric of the song
to stare at the threads.
Often what is great about some of his lyrics is not necessarily the exact
meaning they carry but rather the way the words sound next to each other.
I'll admit, some of EC's older lyrics suffer because it seems he was being
vague for the sake of being vague. But I don't think that's the case with
this song. To me, it has always been fascinating.

Anyway, that's just me.

Al (the battered old bird)

MRedfern

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

>Here one for a new list of songs by e.c.,
>ones that deal with childern and the broken home. I'll start....last
>boat>leaving

There's one on the Juliet Letters, although its not among the best of
that album. Come to think of it, Jackson's, Monk and Rowe is
also partially about family break up.

With regard to battered old bird, I think it is about the opposite. A
family that stays together but shouldn't. (Favourite Line: "And next door
to them is a man so mild til he cut of the head of a visitor's child..")

In that song, what IS the phrase that follows "he's a battered old bird"?
I always sing "and he's living up at whoa whoa whoa whoa".

Martin

michael p mccullough

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

On 3 Jul 1996 01:05:49 -0400, almc...@aol.com (AlMcGreg) wrote:

>God I love this one.
>Lyrically, there is a dark oppressive madness that is baseline in the
>song.
>All the tenants of this building have disturbing problems. I think the
>song works fine as a distorted depiction of troubled characters all living
>in this building (perhaps this was a place where the singer once lived).

i agree strogly with what you say about this song. one question,
though: who is the "battered old bird" in the chorus? in each verse he
refers to different people in the building, the song is almost like a
disjointed short story. but he keeps getting back to the battered old
bird:

He's a Battered Old Bird
And he's living up there
There's a place where time stands still
If you keep taking those little pink pills

i always assumed (i guess without thinking about it too much) that the
battered old bird was god. the place where time stands still would be
death, if you keep taking those little pink pills meaning death from
drug overdose.

butthen again the place where time stands still could mean a stuporous
state of intoxication, and the b.o.b. could be the person who's taking
pink pill's lover. i dunno.

i don't think b.o.b. is a refernece to msthatcher since it
specifically states that "he's living up there," although bird could
be construed as a slang term for a woman. (in england? i live in
oregon, what do i know?)

i'd like to know, though.

michael

+++++++

lyrics from:

http://east.isx.com/~schnitzi/ec/lyrics/bc.html#battered_old_bird

Battered Old Bird

The landlady's husband came up to town today
Since he left them both ten years ago to serve the ministry
The dark down road of his approach in constant rain was drenched
The tenant's boy said "How d'ya do" then swore in French
Did you teach this little child these curses on my soul
You should both be shut down in the coal-hole
That's the way to treat a child who cries out in the night
And a woman who teaches wrong from right

Chorus: He's a Battered Old Bird
And he's living up there
There's a place where time stands still
If you keep taking those little pink pills

"Hush your mouth you hypocrite"
His humour cut her deep
The tight lipped leer of judgement
That had seen her love desert her just like sleep
"Filthy words on children's lips are better, my dear spouse
Then if I were to speak my mind about this house"

Chorus

On the first floor there are two old maids
Each one wishing that the other was afraid

And next door to them is a man so mild

'Til he chopped off the head of a visitor's child
He danced upon the bonfire
Swallowed sleeping pills like dreams
With a bottle of sweet sherry that everything redeems

Chorus

And on the second floor is the Macintosh Man
He's in his overcoats more than out of them
And the typewriter's rattling all through the night
He's burgundy for breakfast tight
He says "One day I'll throw away all of my cares
And it is always Christmas in a cupboard at the top of the stairs"

Chorus

"Well here's a boy if ever there was
Who's going to do big things
That's what they all say and that's how the trouble begins
I've seen them rise and fall
Been through their big deals and smalls

He'd better have a dream that goes beyond four walls"

You think he should be sent outside playing with the traffic
When pieces of him are already scattered in the attic

RGAverbeck

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

I always thought he said "he's a battered old bird, and he's living up in
Inglewood"

Inglewood being a part of town (like the pretty things of Knightsbridge
and other times elvis uses town names).

I could be wrong.

RGAverbeck

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

This song is about the tenant house's occupants! The house itself is
where time stands still because all the people in the place are going
nowhere - they're all stuck in their bizarre, crazy, and dangerous lives.
It's like the house itself sticks the occupants in a place in time, but
actually of course it's them. Personifying the house don't you know?

The landlady's husband returns from years of government service and this
is what he sees:
an accostic child
crazy old maids
a mild mannered man who one day will "go postal"
etc
etc.

he'd (meaning the husband, or the listener of the song) better have some
dream to take him away from this sort of place, or he'll (or you'll) be
trapped like the houses occupants, and scattered like dusty remains
haunting the attic.

00g00

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Oh, I think that would be fun! Lets take one song each week and post
the lyrics. Then we can each go through and say what they mean to us
personally!

Do you wanna start with Battered Old Bird? (incidentally one of my EC
faves of all time.)

00g00

H9A8L53

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

thanks for reply.. the line is
"HE'S A BATTRED OLD BIRD
AND HE'S LIVING UP THERE
THERE'S A PLACE WHERE TIME STANDS STILL
IF YOU KEEP TAKING THESE LITTLE PINK PILLS"
i STILL HOLD TO THE IDEA THAT THE SONG IS PRIMARLY ABOUT THE EFFECTS
ON CHILDERN AFTER BREAK UP . IN VERSE 3 YOU FIND THE LINE, "LOVE DESERT
HER JUST LIKE SLEEP"(great line, who hasn't had aslleepless night over
love), THIS IS ALL CONNECTED TO THE RETURN OF SOME ONE AFTER "TEN YEARS TO
SERVE THE MINISTRY". tHEN THE LAND LADY GOES ON TO EXPLAIN TO HERE RETURN
SPOUCE THECONDESTIONS SHE AND THE BOY LIVE IN( THE CHILD IS NOT HER OWN
SEE VERSE 1 ). THE CONDITIONS OF THE TENTS IN THE HOUSE ARE ALL VERY
DEPLORABLE AND SHE ENDS WITH THIS CHILD AND SAYS HIS DREAMS BETTER BE
BIGGER, BUT THINGS HAVE BEEN LOST OR LOCK AWAY FROM HIM ALREADY(VERSE
6"PIESES OF HIM ALREADY SATTERED IN THE ATTIC") THATS HOW, HERE IN
TRUMANSBUG N.Y. ON THE 3RD OF JULY 1996 I SEE IT, BUT ASK ME TOMARROW,
I'LL HAVE NO DOUGHT CHANGED MY TUNE.
HAL OLSEN
P.S. WHERE ARE YOU FROM? HOW MANY TIMES OR STYLES HAVE YOU SEEN E.C. IN?

Message has been deleted

r...@sgi.net

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

On Sun, 30 Jun 96 18:47:32 GMT, dav...@sover.net (David E. Rondeau)
wrote:

>In article <4r4bm1$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
> almc...@aol.com (AlMcGreg) wrote:
>>Wow. Don't you have any imagination?
>>I think this is one of those songs that, as Elvis says, is like a room.
>>You can go in, walk around, and come out with your own meaning.
>>
>>This song is one of my favorites but I'm not going to tell you what I
>>think it means.
>>
>>Obviously, if someone has to explain to you line by line "what it's about"
>>then you'll never be able to appreciate it.
>

>I think the song leaves too much to the imagination. I don't think anyone
>can come up with a reasonable explanation of it. I think it means something
>to EC but he failed to convey that to the listener.
>Why the secrecy on what you think the meaning is? Are you too embarrassed
>to say? Or is it beneath you?

read any interview with elvis and you'll see that like alot of great
writers.....(tom Waits and Robbie Roberston in particular..)
Elvis embraces the different interpretations......or meanings people
get out of his songs.....
i know damn well...there are dozens of E.C songs that have great
meaning to me.........but that meaning in the end has little semblance
to the picture in elvis's mind....
hell just look at some of elvis's interpretations of dylan songs and
you'll see why he feels that way......
i never read the liner notes or lyrics till years after an album is in
my mind............that way my picture can never go away.....
there should be some sort of law against reading the liner
notes....least...till the vinyl is hard anyways.......

being an artist (visual) i know and love the accidents that happen not
only on paper but in the mind......thats where true art lies......not
carved in stone on the evening news........its songs that are big and
open enough to lead 7 different people to seven different sort of
mental images of what a song is about that are great.......and stand
the tests of time......
For what its worth...i must be missing most of the headers on my
server bout the meaning of Battered........so forgive me if i'm
repeating something......

michael p mccullough

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

On 3 Jul 1996 23:07:22 GMT, ap...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (John Gillies)
wrote:

>Sir, you know far too much about this song. You've got inside information
>on this one. I have a sneaking suspicion that you are actually Elvis. (Of
>course Elvis wouldn't sign on as E COSTELLO would he?)
>
>If you are indeed elvis, then I'm going to email you with some questions
>about some lyrics, fair enough?

oh c'mon! don't start a stupid thread about whether or not robert is
elvis!

he just figured that out from listening to the damn song, like you and
me. robert isn't elvis, he's a reporter from cincinatti.

i think that this post is insightful, but i think that the person who
needs to have a dream that goes beyond four walls is the child, not
the landlady's husband. you'd think a chiold should be sent out to
play in traffic, not an adult.

michael p mccullough ++++ Klamath Falls OR # 1.541.884.3278
mic...@magick.net mich...@cdsnet.net
all moanday, tearsday, wailsday, thumpsday, frightday, shatterday (joyce/FW)
http://www.magick.net/~michael/ http://www.magick.net/~michael/music.html

Kadudley

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

The observations are from Elvis's childhood. He said something in an
interview last year about the character who swore in French, and that it
was in fact Italian (I think). He said he changed it to French so it
would rhyme. This implies that the people, to some extent, were real and
that he knew them. Perhaps he lived with this sad bunch as a child in
Camden Town, London.

Ken Dudley

RGAverbeck

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

hmmm...robert could be elvis with a fake profile. then again, he could
just be an incredibly smart guy, or a moron. probably he is all and none
of these

razo...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2016, 1:46:04 AM3/7/16
> Can someone please explain to me what is so great about this song?

Think of it like Heartbreak Hotel with a far more existential tapestry.

> Hell, I don't even know what the song is about. Who is the Battered Old
> Bird?

The Battered Old Bird is several people in the story. Primarily it is a man in a doomed relationship. He has a son he loves and his heart is breaking because he knows he is raising him in a dysfunctional family. The protagonist sees himself as the battered old bird, he sees the potential for his son to grow up like him and he sees the other older tenants as tortured broken people that he is slowly transforming into himself. He identifies with all the people in his apartment building and the misery of their lives.

>What does it mean that pieces of him are scattered in the attic?

What do people keep in their attics? Memorabilia. Little sentimental tokens that are linked to their fondest memories. Saying that these items are scattered implies that they are in disarray. All the great parts of his life seem meaningless.

>What does dancing on a bonfire and swallowing sleeping pills like dreams mean?

When he says dreams he's not talking about the things you see when you sleep. He is talking about the dreams people create for their lives. People make sacrifices to achieve their dreams and thus swallowing one is pretty damn hard. Almost as hard as dancing on a bonfire or taking a sleeping pill to fight insomnia brought on by the guilt of your life's failures.

> Just how many characters are in this song?

I counted 10, if you count the landlady's husband as two people since he is referencing her when he mentions him.

> What is the overall feeling I'm supposed to be getting from this song?

Catharsis. It's not really an emotion, more of an emotional process to deal with difficult emotions.

>It honestly has had no effect on me.

Then you are very lucky.

> Also, what is so great about the tune itself and the (lack of) musical
> accompaniment?

Yeah. If you play guitar you can get through the majority of this song on just D and G chords. It's a pretty common technique among musicians who follow the punk minimalist aesthetic. Kurt Cobain only used two chords in Something In The Way. It makes sense. If you want to write a sparse, sad song you shouldn't clutter it up with too many flowery notes.

There are many things to like about this song. To begin, it is a great performance. The verse is sang with a lot of restrained bitterness and agony, but when the chorus comes the vocals erupt into a passionate, desperate cry. The reason people say this song haunts them is because you can tell it came from a painful place. It's evident not only in Elvis' voice but in the maturity of the lyrics. Every sentence outlines a subtle tragedy and it builds until the environment surrounds you.

In the short story, Hills Like White Elephants, Hemingway tells the story of a man trying to convince his girlfriend to have an abortion, but the subject is never overtly discussed. Hemingway just describes the scene in enough detail that the tension becomes palpable. The reader is forced to feel his way to the context and figure out what the two characters are talking about. It's a technique that has been employed by countless writers and songwriters since and it's exactly the way the story in this song is told. It's not a tune you can just put on for a moment and dance while your mind drifts elsewhere. You have to sit down and actively listen to what is being said, recognize the emotions it conjures and then try to piece everything together. It's not something you can do in one sitting. You may play the song several times before the full weight of it hits you, but when it does you'll appreciate the song on a much deeper level than other songs you could instantly connect with.

> Prove to me it's greatness and you will silence my criticism.

No one can logically convince someone to like a song, but if your hatred is rooted in a misunderstanding then that is an easy gap to cross.