Elvis Costello Album/News Sampler

Jens Christensen

Mar 26, 2002, 11:27:23 AM3/26/02
Hi Fellow Fans

Added the official Elvis Costello news box (sampler)
Contains pictures, news and clips of remixed songs.
Go to http://www.elvis-costello.net to see the sampler

Have you pre-ordered Elvis Costello's new album "When I was Cruel"?
Only 13.99$
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000063526/tremolo

Did you get the new reissues?
Each CD comes with a bonus CD of previously unreleased tracks.
Each reissue only 13.99$

Brutal Youth:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y1Y1/tremolo

Blood and Chocolate:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y1Y0/tremolo

This Year's Model:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y1XZ/tremolo

--
Enjoy,
Jens Christensen

To discuss anything related to Elvis Costello goto
http://www.elvis-costello.net/phpBB/
You can access the newsletter archive at
http://www.elvis-costello.net/newsletterarchive.php
To unsubscribe from: Elvis Costello News, go to
http://www.elvis-costello.net/newsletter.php

Ian S

Mar 26, 2002, 11:39:57 AM3/26/02
Jens

It's one thing to punt your website here, it's quite anoither to balantly
tout for business on Costello's behalf !!

This is getting very close spam mail - have you bought ..... indeed? Please
let the record company handle the hype - they are trying their best.

Ian S

Wild Colonial Boy

Mar 26, 2002, 12:34:15 PM3/26/02

"Jens Christensen" <je...@cento-fe.it> wrote in message

> Have you pre-ordered Elvis Costello's new album "When I was Cruel"?
> Only 13.99$

Are they expecting a huge rush? Teenaged fans screaming and fighting to be
first? Price gouging? 'Buy now while stocks last' ??

Jens Christensen

Mar 26, 2002, 1:30:43 PM3/26/02
Hi there,

It is not SPAM...in my humble opnion!
First of all it was to notify you all about the audio sampler that has been
added to my EC website. It has clips of alternative/remixed versions of a
few songs from the new album.

My interest in listing the 4 cd's is that I am an affiliate of amazon and I
get a share every time a CD is sold from my links.
I do this because it is NOT fre to run a website like www.elvis-costello.net
and I DON'T have sponsors!

I have enough visitors to my EC website through other channels.
The mails I send to "your" list are meant to be info when I have updated the
website with new stuff about Elvis Costello.

But if the majority of the listers here would rather be without, I will stop
sending the updates.
Just let me know.

And least, but not last, Ian S, if I choose to promote the music of a
musician that I admire deeply it is my "business". If I am to do it here is
another question.

Best regards
Jens Christensen
www.elvis-costello.net

*****************************

Ian S
******************************

> Added the official Elvis Costello news box (sampler)
> Contains pictures, news and clips of remixed songs.
> Go to http://www.elvis-costello.net to see the sampler
>

> Have you pre-ordered Elvis Costello's new album "When I was Cruel"?
> Only 13.99$

Sean Rogers

Apr 4, 2002, 9:17:13 AM4/4/02
Ive looked at that album sampler and its really good. I'll definatley
be buying the album on 15th, it looks great. Anyone else buying?

Ian Clarke

Apr 4, 2002, 4:09:29 PM4/4/02

Sean Rogers <seanro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ive looked at that album sampler and its really good. I'll definatley
> be buying the album on 15th, it looks great. Anyone else buying?

Yep.

Ian C

MIke

Apr 17, 2002, 7:04:10 AM4/17/02
What did you reckon Ian? I love 45 and 15 petals! Its brilliant. Did
you got to the gig last night?

Ian Clarke

Apr 17, 2002, 8:15:37 PM4/17/02
It's a splendid album Mike although 15 Petals is the one track that really
grates on me. Sorry to be so agreeable everyone but I can't help it. At the
moment I just can't get past "Episode of Blonde". It's a killer and I'm just
listening to it constantly to and from work. I disagree with whoever said it
doesn't have any great songs. I genuinely believe (pleasantly surprised)
that EC is absolutely on his absolute top form with this album. I love it
(even more than I did yesterday) and I'm delighted to be able to say that.

Didn't make the Astoria as I don't get to London as often these days. I know
it well as a venue and I'd have enjoyed seeing EC&TA (for basically that's
what it is) in such an intimate venue. Looking forward to taking in a few
shows in the North though.

Ian C

MIke <mikeha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Joe Cassells

Apr 18, 2002, 1:01:24 PM4/18/02
I've just got a few listens to the official release over the last couple of
days (its a big improvement sound-wise over the promo copy).

I'm really enjoying it, first four tracks are killers, it could probably
shed one or two others (Dissolve, the 2nd Dust). The last track for some
ridiculoius reason reminds me of that Carpenters thingy about interplanetary
craft. Its ok, but makes sense as a traditional EC/A album finisher. Have
grown to love Tart, even though it is about peeling an orange :)

Its only now after a few listens that I'm catching all the words, they are
mostly terriff. And its good to see the return of dirty-old-man Elvis.

JC

"Ian Clarke" <ian_r_...@lineone.net> wrote in message

Junk451

Apr 20, 2002, 12:20:24 PM4/20/02
>Looking forward to taking in a few
>shows in the North though.

In my limited experience of seeing EC in other towns, and as a Mancunian it
pains me to say this, Liverpool is the town to see Elvis live.

Ian Clarke

Apr 20, 2002, 12:42:20 PM4/20/02

Junk451 <jun...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In my limited experience of seeing EC in other towns, and as a Mancunian
it
> pains me to say this, Liverpool is the town to see Elvis live.

Why? (serious question - I'm not being flippant).

I've seen him in a number of cities including his real home town (London)
and his adopted home town (Dublin) and frankly haven't noticed any
discernible difference.

Ian C

Junk451

Apr 21, 2002, 7:06:37 PM4/21/02
>>as a Mancunian it pains me to say this, Liverpool is the town to see Elvis
live.
>Why? (serious question - I'm not being flippant).
Ian
I did say my experience is limited, so I'll back-peddle and just say, if its a
toss up between Manchester and Liverpool, choose Liverpool. If you've been to
various towns maybe you can fill us in on the atmosphere elsewhere in the
north.
There was definately more of a party feel at the Liverpool shows I have
attended, which have all been in the Nineties - with both The Rude 5 and The
reformed Attractions - People dancing from the off and more genuine banter with
the audience. Partly, perhaps, its because it has always been at the Empire,
which is all standing downstairs. Perhaps also because of EC's family links
with Liverpool - scouse is one of the accents Bruce Thomas accuses him of
adopting on tour.
I saw ECatA at the all seated Manchester Apollo every tour from Trust to
Goodbye Cruel World, and as soon as the support band appeared the crowd rushed
the stage. Since the Spike tour everyone has stayed seated at the M/c shows,
for most of the night, at least. (In 86 or 7 I went to the Confederates/King
of America night, which was subdued, rather than the Blood &
Chocolate/Attractions night - can't report on that one, but wish I could have
afforded both tickets)
These days the Apollo can remove the seats downstairs, though I suspect if EC
plays they'll keep it all seated (Check press for details, folks!).
Last three shows in Manchester were all seated at:
the Opera House - with the Attractions
the Apollo - with Nieve.
Palace Theatre - with Nieve.
James

Junk451

Apr 21, 2002, 7:08:24 PM4/21/02
>Liverpool is the town to see Elvis live.

ps
Obviously if you'd really rather not hear some drunk yelling
"playal-leesunyerkuhnt!" between songs, then avoid Liverpool - I feel it adds
a little local colour.

James

Ian Clarke

Apr 21, 2002, 7:27:11 PM4/21/02

> >>as a Mancunian it pains me to say this, Liverpool is the town to see
Elvis
> live.
> >Why? (serious question - I'm not being flippant).
> Ian
> I did say my experience is limited, so I'll back-peddle and just say, if
its a
> toss up between Manchester and Liverpool, choose Liverpool. If you've been
> various towns maybe you can fill us in on the atmosphere elsewhere in the
> north.

I've never actually seen him play in the North as we just moved up last
year. My last EC shows were both in Birmingham on the Lonely World Tour.
Newcastle's generally not a bad atmosphere for shows. Saw Steve Earle and
the family at the Opera House in November. That wasn't bad. Also the
Tweenies at the Telewest Arena was electric (highspot was seeing Warren
Barton there with the kids the day after he made his debut for Derby).

I tend to feel that the atmosphere at an EC concert is often dictated by his
own mood. If he's up for it (and judging from recent setlists he seems to be
this time round) he's got the power to take the audience with him but if
he's disinterested (eg Dublin 1996 near the vert end of the ATUB tour) it
can be pretty dead. Favourite show may have been the first Attractions night
on the 1986 Royalty Theatre series (as immortalised by "This Is Tomorrow").

By the way James when I worked briefly in Manchester the only show I got to
was Steve Earle at the Academy. Decent enough atmosphere there iirc but
nothing special.

Ian C

By the way I never knew that there was no "the" in Buzzcocks.

Junk451

Apr 21, 2002, 7:52:43 PM4/21/02
>By the way James when I worked briefly in Manchester the only show I got to
>was Steve Earle at the Academy. Decent enough atmosphere there iirc but
>nothing special.
>
>Ian C
>
>By the way I never knew that there was no "the" in Buzzcocks.

Steve Earle's sister Stacey is coming to town with Mark Stuart from the Dukes -
21st May, I assume this is part of a larger tour. Have you heard her stuff? -
worth checking out?

As a Buzzcocks footnote, until a few months ago I worked with John Maher's wife
Helen. She's really nice. One time she said to me "Sometimes I think I've lead
a boring sort of life, and then I think of that night in '79 when me and John
went to Studio 54 with Clem Burke and Debbie Harry....."

Ian Clarke

Apr 21, 2002, 8:08:32 PM4/21/02

> Steve Earle's sister Stacey is coming to town with Mark Stuart from the
Dukes -
> 21st May, I assume this is part of a larger tour. Have you heard her
stuff? -
> worth checking out?

Stacey Earle's stuff is quite pleasant. Mark Stuart however is a vituoso
bluegrass musician well worth checking out.

Ian C

steve horan

Apr 22, 2002, 12:56:20 PM4/22/02
jun...@aol.com (Junk451) wrote in message news:<20020421190637...@mb-fs.aol.com>...

> >>as a Mancunian it pains me to say this, Liverpool is the town to see Elvis
> live.

I was reading about 10CC last week and it seems
that Manchester had quite a thriving scene in
the 60's, though it was certainly upstaged by
Liverpool and London, England-wise. CMIIW but
weren't the Mindbenders, the Hollies, and (sorry)
Herman's Hermits all from Manchester? Funny,
because in the US music press you wouldn't know
it existed before the Smiths and the Stone
Roses and all the concomitant "Manchester
Scene" hype. I bought that Stone Roses
CD and it sucked up a storm - I only played
it once.

So how come Graham Nash and Davey Jones are
so easy to understand but the Gallagher bros
require subtitles when they're interviewed
on US TV? I guess that's a rhetorical question.

BTW, last week I bought 10CC's "The Original
Soundtrack" and that's a great, forgotten
album!

> scouse is one of the accents Bruce Thomas accuses him of
> adopting on tour.

Funny, when he comes to California he says "fer
sher" a lot. I'm kidding of course but accent-wise
he's a chameleon.

That John Maher was a wild-ass drummer! He was
even crazier than the guy in Eddie and the Hot
Rods who couldn't get his fill of fills.

Martyn

Apr 22, 2002, 2:25:24 PM4/22/02
"steve horan" <steveho...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> jun...@aol.com (Junk451) wrote in message

> I was reading about 10CC last week and it seems

> that Manchester had quite a thriving scene in
> the 60's, though it was certainly upstaged by
> Liverpool and London, England-wise. CMIIW but
> weren't the Mindbenders, the Hollies, and (sorry)
> Herman's Hermits all from Manchester? Funny,
> because in the US music press you wouldn't know
> it existed before the Smiths and the Stone
> Roses and all the concomitant "Manchester
> Scene" hype. I bought that Stone Roses
> CD and it sucked up a storm - I only played
> it once.

Not sure about the Mindbenders, but the other two were from Manchester, as
were Freddie & The Dreamers - Alan Ball spoke very highly of them. Try the
Roses again if you have time... Liam copied his stage antics off Ian Brown

> So how come Graham Nash and Davey Jones are
> so easy to understand but the Gallagher bros
> require subtitles when they're interviewed
> on US TV? I guess that's a rhetorical question.

Because they were hippies?

> BTW, last week I bought 10CC's "The Original
> Soundtrack" and that's a great, forgotten
> album!

The first track is best left forgotten, but I agree there's some good stuff
on there.

Martyn

Junk451

Apr 22, 2002, 2:56:59 PM4/22/02
I think the difference in accents is a generational thing. The urban Manchester
accent has evolved in living memory.In the area I live the old folks speak
differently to the young and the middle aged. Also a bunch of people adopted a
very exaggerated version in that late 80's Madchester era to sound more
"street" - Ian Brown of the Stone Roses probably being the worst culprit.
According to a couple of his class mates he was such a nicely spoken young man
when he went to Altrincham Grammar.

Hawksmoor26

Apr 23, 2002, 2:27:11 AM4/23/02
Agree with James about nearly everything - and as another Mancunian, it pains
me too to admit it! But he is more up for it in Liverpool - think it is the
family connection, the way he (rather comically) sometimes seems to want to
pass himself off as a scouser, and, in fairness, the crowds do seem more
lively. However, tracking back through the 80s and 90s, it's not the Empire he
usually plays (in my experience) - it's the wonderful Royal Court. I strongly
suspect he has a bit of a thing for this relatively small venue (as indeed do
I, it's great). It's all standing downstairs, but it also has boxes, and I
think one reason he likes it is that his big mate Alan Bleasdale always has a
box for his family, kids and all. I saw one of the last Attractions gigs (late
96) at the Royal Court, and the atmosphere, and the gig, were brilliant (best
I've seen him in 14 times). Bleasdale was there, waving to the crowd and
getting all his kids dancing in the box. Magic.

Junk451

Apr 23, 2002, 2:56:01 PM4/23/02
>it's not the Empire he
>usually plays (in my experience) - it's the wonderful Royal Court.

D'oh! I stand corrected

Hank

May 5, 2002, 6:49:35 AM5/5/02
On 22 Apr 2002 18:56:59 GMT, jun...@aol.com (Junk451) looked up from
the sandbox, yelled "I guess I just wasn't made for these times" then
typed :

It's also a class thing. The Gallaghers come from Burnage, a working
class suburb of Manchester

_______

Hank

****

'Ready everyone??? Mambo!'

Junk451

May 6, 2002, 3:41:40 PM5/6/02
Burnage is indeed a south Manchester suburb. But Graham Nash is from Ordsall,
in Salford, which was then and is now a very poor neighbourhood. Its the area
right next to the docks at the end of the Manchester Ship Canal. When BBC2's
Newsnight program wants to do items on poverty in Britain they take their
cameras to Ordsall. I have lived in the area, and my Dad was originally from
round there. To clarify my previous post, to my ears there is a clear, audible
difference between the speach of older and younger generations of working class
people. There are also lots of people who took to adopting a more "Manc" accent
or exagerating their accents since the whole Madchester/Baggy scene of the late
80's/early 90's. Much like the Guy Ritchies and Jamie Olivers down in London
who become "Mockneys."

Back to Graham Nash if you hear his speaking voice in the 60's he had a Salford
accent - but not like that of the kids today.
These days Nash has a weird Midlantic way of speaking after all those years in
California.

Gareth Owen

May 7, 2002, 5:25:22 AM5/7/02
Oh Manchester, so much to answer for.

(Well, its no worse than "Stop if you've heard this ... alibi")
--
Gareth Owen
"The entire body of computer science can be viewed as nothing more than the

steve horan

May 7, 2002, 12:17:53 PM5/7/02
jun...@aol.com (Junk451) wrote in message news:<20020506154140...@mb-fj.aol.com>...

> Back to Graham Nash if you hear his speaking voice in the 60's he had a Salford
> accent - but not like that of the kids today.
> These days Nash has a weird Midlantic way of speaking after all those years in
> California.

The same with Davey Jones, whose probably
lived in the US since he became a Monkee.

The first time I ever heard the word "Mancunian"
it was being applied to John Cooper Clarke,
of "I Married A Monster From Ou'er Space"
fame.