The Woman who loved and lost Elton

6616 views
Skip to first unread message

Brenda Henry

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
From Britain's Sunday Mirror Newspaper:~ (online)

SAD, LONELY LIFE OF THE WOMAN WHO LOVED
AND LOST ELTON
EX-WIFE RENATE STILL SHUNS SPOTLIGHT AFTER
14 YEARS IN HER RURAL RETREAT

IT IS only the Louis Vuitton handbag and green Mercedes
coupe that hint at a rather more flamboyant past. No-one
would guess the auburn-haired woman out on a rare shopping
trip was once married to Britain's most outrageous rock star.

Yet the middle-aged shopper dressed in a plain Breton top
and navy blue jeans is Renate Blauel - former wife of Sir Elton
John.

And while the Rocket Man is still making and spending
millions, 46-year-old Renate is living as a virtual recluse in a
small cottage in Shackleford, Surrey.

Evergreen trees shield her home from prying eyes and she
goes out only to walk her spaniel - her only constant
companion - or pick up groceries from the village shop.

Most of her days are spent inside the cottage she chose for its
unusual name ...Cobblers.

It could not be further away from her life with Elton. Her
wedding dress on St Valentine's Day in 1984 was studded
with 63 diamonds and home was a magnificent mansion in
Windsor.

Three years later it was all over, with Elton admitting that he
was gay.

A pounds 5million divorce settlement eased the pain, but not
the hurt. Renate's friends say she is still upset that the marriage
ended - and they have not spoken for 14 years.

Neighbours in the village near Godalming - home to wealthy
farming families, bank managers and successful chief
executives - know little about her.

"This is a village with a very strong community spirit but she
doesn't get involved," said one.

"People know she is Elton John's ex-wife but very little
else.You only ever see her walking her dog or doing the odd
bit of shopping.

"She's certainly not the socialising kind."

Staff at the Cyder House Inn and the village hall and social
centre say Renate has never stepped inside.

Maxine Knight, one local who has got to know her, says:
"She's a lovely lady but a very private person who just wants
to be left alone to get on with her life."

Another added: "We don't mention Elton's name because we
know it still upsets her. She's as reluctant to talk about that
time in private as she is in public.

"The warmth she's found in the village has helped her get back
on her feet.

"She's got a lot of people looking out for her who she knows
she can call if she has a problem, even if they don't know her
well.

"But there's no doubt her failed marriage to Elton is behind the
rather reclusive life she leads now. She sincerely believed their
marriage was for life."

In the warts-and-all TV documentary Tantrums and Tiaras ,
Elton, 53, spoke of his "deep sadness" that he had no contact
with German-born Renate since they parted.

He told his boyfriend David Furnish, who made the film: "I
hope one day that we can meet and be friends.

"We haven't been in touch, we've had no contact at all which
is very sad, but she wants it that way. I don't have any
negative things to say about her at all."

Elton and Renate, a former air stewardess, met in the early
Eighties after she started working as a recording engineer and
became part of his entourage. They worked together on the
Caribbean isle of Montserrat where she helped record his
album Breaking Hearts.

Elton proposed at an Indian restaurant in Sydney, Australia -
and they married just four days later.

When the marriage collapsed, Elton bought Renate's new
home and allegedly swore her to silence in return for the
pounds 5million divorce settlement.

And Renate is still maintaining that silence. From behind a
half-open door all she would say was:

"I live very quietly here and people are very protective
towards me."

--
"and we all shine on, like the Moon and the Stars and the Sun" ~ John
Lennon
**My unusual journey: http://www.angelfire.com/in2/harmony
"From the End of the World, to your Town" ~ Elton John/B.Taupin

"All I want is the Truth ~ Just give me some Truth!" ~ John Lennon

Finchhen23

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
How sad. :( At least she is getting on with her life. I hope her and Elton
will get to talk again someday although it is highly unlikely it will ever
happen.

lifefan

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
Brenda you are wronge, Renate engineered Too Low For Zero at Air
Studios Monsterrat, and married Feburary 14th, 1984, how
romantic. I'm not saying she did not help record Breaking
Hearts, because she did. The title track to that album was her
1st year anniversary gift releasted Feb. 14th, 1985,
unfortunatly the song bombed.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!


Kim

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/

click features if you haven't seen the article and want to...

Boy, is that a typical tabloid article or what. They don't know her and
didn't do an interview with her, but know that she's sad and lonely and
never goes out. That must be some neighborhood that she lives in that
her neighbors are constantly watching her comings and goings and talking
to the mirror (if they are in fact.)

She wants to be left alone, but obviously the mirror couldn't do that.
I've wondered from time to time where she was and how she was doing.
Gary Clarke talked so highly of her in his book that i've always been
under the impression that she is a neat lady. I commend her for never
talking or writing a book about elton (although, if she ever does, i
will buy and read it...lol.)

I just hope she's not sad and lonely...

Kim


Kim

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
>lifefan wrote:
>Brenda you are wronge, Renate
>engineered Too Low For Zero at Air
>Studios Monsterrat, and married Feburary
>14th, 1984, how romantic. I'm not saying
>she did not help record Breaking Hearts,
>because she did. The title track to that
>album was her 1st year anniversary gift
>releasted Feb. 14th, 1985, unfortunatly the
>song bombed.

Well, Brenda didn't write that (oh my god, i'm defending brenda.) She
posted the article from the "mirror" who wrote it.

Kim


Brenda Henry

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to

Finchhen23 wrote:
>
> How sad. :( At least she is getting on with her life. I hope her and Elton
> will get to talk again someday although it is highly unlikely it will ever
> happen.

^^
**
Kathy, Why do you think it is "highly unlikely" that Elton and his
ex-wife will ever speak again? Perhaps if she finds someone or
something to replace Elton, she will be secure enough to just be friends
again with him. From what he said on Tantrums * Tiarras, he would like
to make amends, but he never gets to speak to her "and that's the way
she wants it" he says, so it sounds like it is up to her.

People do change though, with time and experience. We can get over our
hurts and forgive others for hurting us, and also overcome our fears and
needs, so as to be free to love, on a deeper, platonic level
(non-sexual) if necessary.

There have been many cases of people who have met up again, years later,
and either resumed their relationship, or come to terms with it, on a
different level.

Elton's latest single has appropriate lyrics:~

"Someday out of the blue...maybe years from now, or maybe tommorow
night, I'll turn and I'll see you, as if our love were new...Someday we
can start again, someday soon....
I still believe. I still put faith in us.
We had it all and watched it slip away. Where are we now? Not where we
want to be.
Someday out of the blue....I'll turn and see you ~ as if we always
knew..."

Who knows, though? If they were "made for each other" they could even
be destined to get back together. (After having grown (evolved)
sufficiently to be more compatible)

Elton only knew Renata when he was addicted to drugs and alcohol. He
wasn't in any fit state to share a good, wholesome, "balanced"
relationship? Now he is free from all his destructive addictions and
dependancies, and has stabilised considerably, so perhaps he's now
strong enough to handle a wife? To be REALLY balanced!

A (female) Queen for a (male) King. A Princess for a Prince. A Lady
for a Knight!

After all, It's the natural order of things!

Brenda
(the "Old fashioned" romantic;-)
*~*~*~*

P.S. Actually, this is one of the reasons why I say it is rare for
people to find REAL love. So many people break up after having been very
close and supposedly "in-love".
I believe that If it was real love, they would not separate and become
like strangers afterwards. REAL Love last, through thick or thin. It is
deep and eternal.


> >From Britain's Sunday Mirror Newspaper:~ (online)
> >
> >SAD, LONELY LIFE OF THE WOMAN WHO LOVED AND LOST ELTON

> > EX-WIFE RENATE STILL SHUNS SPOTLIGHT AFTER
> > 14 YEARS IN HER RURAL RETREAT

**Sounds familiar!!;-)

CWS

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
Interesting article....I think Renate is a real lady with real class---no
kiss and tell for her and no nasty retribution. I hope she has found the
peace she desires--she deserves it. Caryl

Brenda Henry wrote:

> From Britain's Sunday Mirror Newspaper:~ (online)
>
> SAD, LONELY LIFE OF THE WOMAN WHO LOVED
> AND LOST ELTON
> EX-WIFE RENATE STILL SHUNS SPOTLIGHT AFTER
> 14 YEARS IN HER RURAL RETREAT
>

JackHandy

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
Isn't that the same newspaper Elton sued and won? Of course they'd print
anything to make Elton look bad. If she can't move on in her "life after
Elton", then boo hoo for her. Leave it up to Bren to post a negative
thing like that. I doubt Renate is suffering at all, and how many years
ago did they split? Geez, and I thought the National Enquirer was bad...

JackHandy


Finchhen23 wrote:
>
> How sad. :( At least she is getting on with her life. I hope her and Elton
> will get to talk again someday although it is highly unlikely it will ever
> happen.
>

lifefan

unread,
Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
to
Yha I followed your link, just another fabricated possibly false
story wrote by the tabloids. I do believe Renate was hurt but I
also believe she got over it.

Brenda Henry

unread,
Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
to

JackHandy wrote:
>
> Isn't that the same newspaper Elton sued and won? Of course they'd print
> anything to make Elton look bad. If she can't move on in her "life after
> Elton", then boo hoo for her. Leave it up to Bren to post a negative
> thing like that. I doubt Renate is suffering at all, and how many years
> ago did they split? Geez, and I thought the National Enquirer was bad...
>
> JackHandy

^^
**
Actually, I was surprised this newspaper printed this story, since it
seemed to be a newspaper that was pro-Elton. I think the newspaper that
Elton sued was The Sun. The same newspaper who did the front page
headline, "Oh Elton!!~ Shame as star does gay dance with 'cub scouts'"
Exclusive, last November, when Elton did a song and dance with young boy
scouts at the Stonewall Concert.

The Mirror newspaper seems more Elton-friendly. In fact one of their
reporters bragged about getting a Christmas card from Elton and David,
last year, with a naked cherub's "toosh" showing, and the caption "Happy
Nude Rear" He said it was the most prestigious Christmas card that he
got and took a central place on his mantlepiece.
(So we know that at least one reporter thinks highly of Elton)

When the Mirror was owned by Robert Maxwell, a few years ago, I don't
think they liked Elton then, and I hear Elton didn't like Maxwell, who
also bought a football club, I think, and there was some talk about him
making a bid for Elton's Watford football club, which Elton was not
happy about. (I think it may have even caused Elton to go back and help
financially support Watford)
Elton was right to dislike or distrust Maxwell, since he ended up
ripping off the workers of the Daily Mirror by stealing their pension
money and then promptly drowning in the sea, from his yacht, a few years
ago.
If he'd bought Watford FC he may have ripped them off too!!

Elton obviously knows a phoney creep when he sees one! Possibly the
Mirror now appreciates his wisdom.

Unfortunately, like Elton said, English newspapers like to find fault
with people and so mentioning Elton's wife, was having a little dig at
Elton. Appealing to the majority of their readers who think divorce is
bad enough, let alone divorcing because of homosexuality!
(Well, it sells papers, anyway!) Anything about Elton is newsworthy, I
guess.

The Mirror newspaper is for the average working class person, in
England, who think like the majority, where leaving your "old lady" for
a "bloke" is just not natural! (something to gossip about!)

Also, its easy to know about someone in England, because the villages
are so small and personal. Sometimes only having a small village shop,
so the locals get to know each other easily. (and news travels fast,
even if only through a domestic servant)

I know, because I too live somewhat reclusively in one of those small
English towns.
(but I didn't post this story for gossip, but because it is related to
Elton, that's all!)

Brenda

Sayings of Elton:~

"Exhaustion!? They don't know what it is!"
*~*~*
"There seems to be a need, in me, to play live concerts"

> Finchhen23 wrote:
> >
> > How sad. :( At least she is getting on with her life. I hope her and Elton
> > will get to talk again someday although it is highly unlikely it will ever
> > happen.
> >
> > >From Britain's Sunday Mirror Newspaper:~ (online)
> > >
> > >SAD, LONELY LIFE OF THE WOMAN WHO LOVED
> > > AND LOST ELTON
> > > EX-WIFE RENATE STILL SHUNS SPOTLIGHT AFTER
> > > 14 YEARS IN HER RURAL RETREAT
> > >

--

Terry Knighten

unread,
Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
to
That was the Sun that Elton sued. From what I've heard though, they all
pretty much just make up and print whatever they want to.

Terry

Ejfan1973

unread,
Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
to
Actually, it should be noted that the bulk of that article was lifted from the
Philip Norman bio on Elton. The only new info was the town she lives in and the
fact that she owns a dog.

Kim

unread,
Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
to
Brenda wrote:
>Unfortunately, like Elton said, English
>newspapers like to find fault with people
>and so mentioning Elton's wife, was
>having a little dig at Elton. Appealing to
>the majority of their readers who think
>divorce is bad enough, let alone divorcing
>because of homosexuality!
>(Well, it sells papers, anyway!)  Anything
>about Elton is newsworthy, I guess.

>The Mirror newspaper is for the average
>working class person, in England, who
>think like the majority, where leaving your
>"old lady" for a "bloke" is just not natural!
>(something to gossip about!)

EX wife...."The majority of the readers in england find fault with
divorce let alone divorcing because of homosezuality?" Or just you?
Gee, i'd always heard england was far more understanding about gays and
was much more mature about it then the US. "Leaving your "old lady" for
a "bloke" is just not natural".....sounds like a brenda (minority)
phrase and probably not the way the majority thinks. Hopefully, the
majority doesn't care because it's none of their damn business.....

Kim


ladyj

unread,
Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
to
Really sad story.
Before reading this I hoped that Renate had found good loving
man, married, maybe had children. Now I see she hadn't. I'm sure
she still loves Elton - it's really hard to forget a man like
him once being his wife.
Elton is lucky person to have an ex-wife like Renate, there are
many women, Linda-Woodrow-type, which would certainly give
publisity to all the details of their marrige after the divorse
and bad-mouth him in public. But Renate always defended Elton
and never said a bad word about him.
I only hope that she is happy in her way now.

Ksenia.

Brenda

unread,
Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
to

Kim wrote:
>
> EX wife...."The majority of the readers in england find fault with
> divorce, let alone divorcing because of homosezuality?" Or just you?

**No. It's certainly not just me. I certainly don't think like the
majority of working class people in England. I don't even read the
Daily Mirror, unless I see an interesting story I want to read when I
visit the newsagents. I'm not the "Mirror type" (but my father was)
The mentality of the average working class people is not the same as
mine. I know how they think, but I don't think like them. Personally,
I've never really given it much thought, until now.
The average stable Christian English person frowns on any kind of
break-up of society through divorce or "alternative lifestyles". (as I'm
sure most Americans do too)


> Gee, i'd always heard england was far more understanding about gays and
> was much more mature about it then the US. "Leaving your "old lady" for
> a "bloke" is just not natural".....sounds like a brenda (minority)
> phrase and probably not the way the majority thinks. Hopefully, the
> majority doesn't care because it's none of their damn business.....
>
> Kim

**Well you're wrong. I don't personally think like this, but I do mix
with ordinary people, and my sister works in a pub in Chesham (Elton's
grandparent's hometown) and know what the average lower-working-class
person thinks (Not the intelligent British, with university degrees, but
the builders, electricians, mechanics and other "regular blokes" as they
call themselves, the type who go to football matches.)
Elton knows what I mean. People from Council houses (like Elton and I
were from).
The type that Elton mentioned at a football match when they all joked
about him being Gay. Chanting something "dirty" at the match. (and they
weren't very polite about it, either!)
Big cities may have more gay people, but the small towns that make up
most of this country do not think beyond what is "normally" accepted in
our "civilized" society, as it was with our ancestors for hundreds of
years (probably over a thousand years!)

I peronsally have travelled, a lot, since I was 18 and lived in
liberated Los Angeles for many years, (on and off since 1967 until
1989). I do not think like the average Englishwoman, but I believe I
know what the ordinary people think, because I've worked and lived with
them for half of my life!

Most English people though, don't express their thoughts and feelings
(as I do) so are less likely to open up and share what they think and
feel. (as one of our comediens, Harry Enfield, showed in his sketch
about his gay son coming to dinner with his partner. The father was
trying to so hard to hide his feelings that he kept saying the very
things he was afraid to mention!)

The government tries to please everyone though, by trying to be "modern"
in allowing certain things that weren't acceptable in the old days.

As England slips further and further away from the old established ways,
our once stable country is becoming unglued and we are sinking fast!
(we have the highest teenage pregnancies in the world!!)

Bring back the old established way of life, I say!! (well the best
bits!:-)

Brenda


Brenda wrote:
> >Unfortunately, like Elton said, English
> >newspapers like to find fault with people
> >and so mentioning Elton's wife, was
> >having a little dig at Elton. Appealing to
> >the majority of their readers who think
> >divorce is bad enough, let alone divorcing
> >because of homosexuality!
> >(Well, it sells papers, anyway!) Anything
> >about Elton is newsworthy, I guess.
> >
> >The Mirror newspaper is for the average
> >working class person, in England, who
> >think like the majority, where leaving your
> >"old lady" for a "bloke" is just not natural!
> >(something to gossip about!)

--

jan...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 10, 2019, 3:48:44 PM3/10/19
to
Sad but glad. That Elton’s bloodline ends with him. We pray he may find room for Jesus in His life. And his expire too. Then they can talk in heaven. There is no marriage there. Just joy

itsk...@hotmail.com

unread,
Mar 11, 2019, 1:17:52 AM3/11/19
to
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 12:48:44 PM UTC-7, jan...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sad but glad. That Elton’s bloodline ends with him. We pray he may find room for Jesus in His life. And his expire too. Then they can talk in heaven. There is no marriage there. Just joy

He has a son born to a surrogate. Two, actually, but I suspect one is his and the other is David's. He's perfectly happy without Jesus.

kymkr...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 12, 2019, 2:22:37 AM7/12/19
to
19 years later Brenda, is still around probably has seen every concert of his since her passing.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages