Re: Funeral For A Friend/Moog synthesizer question

80 views
Skip to first unread message
Message has been deleted

Bev Vincent

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 2:05:34 PM7/22/04
to

"Paul" <pa...@wauknet.com> wrote in message
news:7ivvf0tjqf90telvp...@4ax.com...
> On Funeral For A Friend, is that a Moog synthesizer that Elton's
> playing? And does he play it on any other songs (on any of his albums?
> Thanks!

I think it was an ARP Odyssey, and it isn't Elton playing it (on the album).
Dave Hentschel, whose name I probably misspelled, played it, recording a
single note at a time.

The Moog is listed on the ELTON JOHN album, played by Diana Lewis (First
Episode at Hienton, The Cage).
--
Bev Vincent
www.BevVincent.com

The Road to the Dark Tower, NAL (Penguin), October 5, 2004


Message has been deleted

Arnold Gallagher

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 3:07:50 AM7/30/04
to
Didn't Paul Buckmaster sometimes play the Moog?

I think Elton usually played an ARP when he played synthesizer.

Ejfan1973

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 10:42:30 AM7/30/04
to
>Didn't Paul Buckmaster sometimes play the Moog?
>
>I think Elton usually played an ARP when he played synthesizer.

No and no. Diana Lewis played the Moog on the Elton John album. Buckmaster did
the arrangements and sometimes played the cello.

David Hentschel played the ARP.

Elton doesn't play synthesizers.

Liz

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 11:32:08 AM7/30/04
to
Arnold Gallagher <arnoldg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9535F36CD4782ar...@204.127.199.17>...

> Didn't Paul Buckmaster sometimes play the Moog?
>
> I think Elton usually played an ARP when he played synthesizer.

True, Elton has usually played the ARP, as well as the mellotron. But
in his pre-fame days, he did play the Moog. For example, he played it
on several Simon Dupree & The Big Sound recordings. :-)
Liz Rosenthal
"His Song: The Musical Journey Of Elton John"
http://www.ejhissong.com

Bev Vincent

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 11:33:33 AM7/30/04
to

"Ejfan1973" <ejfa...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040730104230...@mb-m18.aol.com...

According to the album credits for Ice on Fire, he did on that album.

http://music.lycos.com/artist/album.asp?QT=A&QW=Elton+John&AN=Elton+John&MID=14005&id=114288

Liz

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 4:10:52 PM7/30/04
to
ejfa...@aol.com (Ejfan1973) wrote in message news:<20040730104230...@mb-m18.aol.com>...

> Diana Lewis played the Moog on the Elton John album. Buckmaster did
> the arrangements and sometimes played the cello.
>
> David Hentschel played the ARP.
>
> Elton doesn't play synthesizers.

Elton played synthesizer all over the album Captain Fantastic and the
Brown Dirt Cowboy, as well as on Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Ejfan1973

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 5:17:40 PM7/30/04
to
I stand corrected on the "Elton does not play syths" comment. But, he only
played the ARP on Someone Saved My Life Tonight. Dave Hentschel played it on
the other songs. I don't classify mellotrons as synthesizers. Anyone know
differently?

Bev Vincent

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 6:05:58 PM7/30/04
to

"Ejfan1973" <ejfa...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040730171740...@mb-m22.aol.com...

Best classified as samplers, I guess. In theory, it was possible to sample
and playback any sound, but then you had to send it off to the factory to
get a set of tapes back to plug into your 'tron.

David Spangler

unread,
Jul 30, 2004, 6:21:08 PM7/30/04
to


A mellotron is not technically a "synthesizer". It was/is actually one
of the earliest "samplers". The mellotron recreated the sounds of real
instruments by actually using tape recordings of real instruments. Each
key on the keyboard,when depressed would cause a short loop of tape to
be be played. A separate tape was required for each note. To get a
different "instrument" , you actually had to change the entire set of
tapes.

A synthesizer (musical) in the purest sense of the word would be an
electronic device for creating musical sounds (or effects).
The Moog Minimoog is the most famous example. Moog and Arp were two
major synth manufacturers in the 70's. Most of these instruments were
monophonic (could only produce one note at a time). Many of the
"classic" synthesizers are now available in software form.Here is a
link to some basic info on synthesis.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Synthesizer

Karen M

unread,
Aug 2, 2004, 2:10:23 AM8/2/04
to
In article <2004073018273527513%iceandpain@cincirrcom>,
David Spangler <icean...@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> On 2004-07-30 17:17:40 -0400, ejfa...@aol.com (Ejfan1973) said:
>
> I stand corrected on the "Elton does not play syths" comment. But, he only
> played the ARP on Someone Saved My Life Tonight. Dave Hentschel played it on
> the other songs. I don't classify mellotrons as synthesizers. Anyone know
> differently?
>
>
> A mellotron is not technically a "synthesizer". It was/is actually one
> of the earliest "samplers". The mellotron recreated the sounds of real
> instruments by actually using tape recordings of real instruments. Each
> key on the keyboard,when depressed would cause a short loop of tape to
> be be played. A separate tape was required for each note. To get a
> different "instrument" , you actually had to change the entire set of
> tapes.
>

For more Mellotron detail than anyone probably wants:

http://members.aol.com/tronpage/tronhow.htm

Karen

adriancb...@gmail.com

unread,
May 13, 2020, 8:41:48 AM5/13/20
to
fascinating to read this, Paul was my brother and I recall all this so well. A recent post regarding Wendy/Walter Carlos prompted me to do this search. thank you

adriancb...@gmail.com

unread,
May 14, 2020, 6:25:05 PM5/14/20
to
Paul would play keyboards at times,
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages