Where is Elton now?

BMH

Sep 12, 2001, 11:25:58 AM9/12/01
Sonia asked where Elton is right now, (whilst this amazing historic event is happening)
Well, here's what it says on eltonjohn.com:~

Elton's European promotional tour
10-September-2001

Quite apart from the wonderful concert he performed for BBC Radio 2 yesterday, Elton is midway through a busy European promotion schedule.
Last Wednesday he spent the day in Paris recording interviews for French television and radio, returning to England late that night. On Thursday he rehearsed all day in London with the band, and on Friday they performed a selection of songs at the studios of the BBC's Top of the Pops and Top of the Pops 2. On Saturday Elton was the guest on Radio 2's Jonathan Ross show, which was an hilarious encounter! He then flew to Verona in Italy to record a television show, again returning to England late that night. The next day (Sunday) he was bright-eyed and in perfect voice for the Radio 2 concert, which is reviewed below. Straight after the concert he flew to Madrid, Spain, for television interviews and performances.
Today (Monday) he's still in Spain where he will be meeting Spanish, Swiss and other European media. Later this week he's off to Germany, Sweden and Holland. We will let you know confirmed transmission details for Elton's recorded television and radio performances as soon as we have them.

**Hope he stays away from politically vulnerable buildings and airports and is kept safe, along with all his fans.
God save the Queen ~ Elton!;-)

eltonjohn.com members re-living the concert!

 Lucky Elton fans hear Songs From The West Coast live!
9-September-2001

This afternoon Elton and the band delighted 300 fans with an incredible 90-minute set featuring six songs from the new album Songs From The West Coast, plus a selection of the finest Elton classics.

The occasion was a concert recording for BBC Radio 2, Britain's biggest national popular music station. Elton and the band performed in the art deco splendour of the BBC's London theatre, an intimate venue where every one of us had a perfect view of the stage.

The band comprised Davey Johnstone on guitars and mandolin; Nigel Olsson, drums; Guy Babylon, keyboards; John Mahon, percussion and Bob Birch, bass, with vocal contributions from all members.

Outside it was an unusually sunny September Sunday, but inside the lights dimmed and the atmosphere glowed as Elton and the band opened with Funeral For A Friend. Percussionist John Mahon takes on the Ray Cooper role in this song with confidence and style, while Elton, relaxed and casual in black track suit, moved seamlessly into a great Love Lies Bleeding vocal.

Elton joked about how Bernie Taupin really has become the 'brown dirt cowboy' with his ranch in Los Angeles and his love of rodeos. "Rodeos, what are they?' Elton laughed,'I like flowers!" Then came Someone Saved My Life Tonight, followed by Philadelphia Freedom and All the Young Girls Love Alice.

Then it was the first chance most of us had had to hear Songs From The West Coast live. Elton began with Birds, in which Davey's slide guitar enhanced the song's spare, country feel. Next was American Triangle, the sad story of murdered American student Matthew Shepherd, followed by the current single I Want Love. Introducing the band, Elton praised the "two old stalwarts", Davey and Nigel, before going into two of his favourite tracks from the new album, the romantic Original Sin and This Train Don't Stop There Anymore. Before singing 'This Train' he remarked how important the BBC had been in his early career, and dedicated the song to the late John Walters, who had booked Elton for a session on the John Peel show back in the 1960's. John Walters, he said, "was passionate about music and one of the most fabulous people I ever met".

After a truly spine-chilling performance of 'This Train' Elton and the band stormed into Rocket Man, Tiny Dancer, Levon, I'm Still Standing and Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting.

Afterwards eltonjohn.com members who had won their tickets in our Rocket giveaway met up for a drink nearby. The concensus was that this was a truly stunning concert and, as one member said, "It was amazing to be in such a small theatre and to have Elton all to ourselves". Linda Mullarkey, who was Elton's fan club secretary in the 1970's, felt the new album was "Truly classic Elton. He's back to how he used to be, and it was very reminscent of the 70's. I felt privileged to be there!" Other fans had heard I Want Love on the radio and felt it was even better live, while the trend continues for eltonjohn.com members to pick Original Sin as a particular favourite! But this was a concert when every song was wonderful - tune in to BBC Radio on Saturday September 22 at 6.30pm, or visit Radio 2 online to hear them all.

*~*~*
"We all shine on like the Moon & Stars & Sun" ~ Lennon

"All this talk of Jesus coming back to see us.." ~ Elton John/B.Taupin
http://www.angelfire.com/in2/harmony
An unusual journey. "From the end of the world, to your town" EJ/BT

Sonia

Sep 12, 2001, 11:48:59 AM9/12/01
yes, I have read that...it is from Monday though, not Tuesday. I mailed ej.com to see if they can at least let us know where he is today. Thanks Brenda!!