Eddings Name Pronunciations?

Belgillis

Sep 20, 2002, 3:04:32 AM9/20/02
I was wondering how you all pronounced the names of various characters
and places in the Belgariad/Malloreon world...

Here are some of my pronouncians:

Belgarath (Bell-GARE-eth)
Polgara (Poll-GARE-uh)
Ce'Nedra (Suh-NEH-druh)
Belkira & Beltira (Bell-KEER-uh and Bell-TEER-uh)
Ctuchik (TOO-chick)
Zedar (ZAY-darr)
Belar (BAY-larr)
Cherek (KARE-ek)
Riva (RYE-vuh)
Drasnia (DRASS-nee-uh)
Cthol Murgos (Tholl MURR-goes)
Melcene (MELL-seen)
Mandorallen (Man-DORE-uh-lun)
Lelldorin (LELL-dore-in)

Khendon (Jason A Williams)

Sep 20, 2002, 3:34:47 AM9/20/02

http://www.kryogenix.org/afe/tecII/de.mp3
http://www.kryogenix.org/afe/tecII/tape-transcript.cas

> Here are some of my pronouncians:

In summary, you're mostly wrong ;-)

--
khe...@khendon.org.uk http://www.jasonandali.org.uk/jason/

Darkfalz

Sep 20, 2002, 4:41:33 AM9/20/02
> Belgarath (Bell-GARE-eth)

Bel-ga-rath.

> Polgara (Poll-GARE-uh)

Pol-ga-ra.

> Ce'Nedra (Suh-NEH-druh)

Xe-ne-dra

> Belkira & Beltira (Bell-KEER-uh and Bell-TEER-uh)

Bel-kye-ra & Bel-tye-ra

> Ctuchik (TOO-chick)
> Zedar (ZAY-darr)

Zee-dar.

> Belar (BAY-larr)
> Cherek (KARE-ek)

Sherek

> Riva (RYE-vuh)

Reeva

> Drasnia (DRASS-nee-uh)

Draz-nee-ah

> Cthol Murgos (Tholl MURR-goes)
> Melcene (MELL-seen)
> Mandorallen (Man-DORE-uh-lun)

Man-door-allen

> Lelldorin (LELL-dore-in)

Linus

Sep 20, 2002, 4:55:32 PM9/20/02
I don't remember why he posted this or to whom. I found this on a.f.e or
some other place a while ago. This is an excerpt of an actual letter from
David Eddings. He got a letter asking about the pronounciation of some of
the names in the books. Here is what he wrote:
Riva (REE-vuh) and the Rivans (REE-vuhns)
Polgara (POL-g*r*) [with * as a in bat]
I've had an argument about that. People keep wanting to say Polgara
(pol-guhruh) for some reason.
Belgarath (BEL-guh-r*th)
Beldin (bel-DIN)
Garion (G*R-ee-un)
...naturally...
Ce'Nedra (suh-NAYdruh)
not Ce'Nedra (suh-NED-ruh) for God's sake
Mandorallen (M*N-dor*llun)
Lelldorin (LEL-duh-rin)
Cthol Murgos (THOLL MURgose)
and the accompanying
Ctuchik (TOO-chick)
The 'c' is silent; if you try to pronounce the 'c' in these words you'll
sound like you're sneezing.
Zakath (Z*-karth)
Durnik (DUR-nik)
Cyradis (SEE-rahdis)
Salmissra (S*L-MISS-ruh)
Most of my Nyissan names have lots of 's's in them because they're the snake
people.
Zedar (ZAY-dahr)
not Zedar (ZED-ahr)
Angarak (AN-guh-r*k)
Melcene (mel-seen)
Dalasia (D*L-ay-zhuh)
not Dalasia (DULL-a-zhuh)

Hope this is of some help...

Best Regards
Linus, Admin @ The Isle of the Winds
http://www.theisleofthewinds.cjb.net

"Belgillis" <mst3...@aol.com> skrev i meddelandet

The Electric Frog

Sep 20, 2002, 8:08:36 PM9/20/02
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:41:33 +1000, "Darkfalz" <dark...@xis.com.au>
wrote:

>Xe-ne-dra

Isn't this borne out in the book when Ce'Nedra says that her name is
actually spelt with an X

Sephy

Sep 20, 2002, 8:57:45 PM9/20/02
Quoth Linus...

> I don't remember why he posted this or to whom. I found this on a.f.e or
> some other place a while ago. This is an excerpt of an actual letter from
> David Eddings. He got a letter asking about the pronounciation of some of
> the names in the books.

You did see that on AFE because AFE-er Aquarius (who seems to be MIA atm)
wrote asking him. IIRC that part is actually the transcript of an audio
taped reply from the man himself...

Sephy

Jehanneton

Sep 21, 2002, 4:29:08 AM9/21/02
While tuning my lute I heard Belgillis say:

> I was wondering how you all pronounced the names of various characters
> and places in the Belgariad/Malloreon world...

<snip>
> Riva (RYE-vuh)

Hey Simon! Chalk up another member for the Ryva camp. :-)

Jeh :-)

--
"She's a kind-hearted woman, she studies evil all the time."

Jehanneton

Sep 21, 2002, 4:31:26 AM9/21/02
While tuning my lute I heard Sephy say:

WHich is (finally) up on Aq's site, because I remember downloading it a
while ago.

Of course, we all know that the man is completely wrong about some of the
pronounciations. I don't care if he (or Leigh) did make them up.

Belgillis

Sep 21, 2002, 5:05:42 PM9/21/02
Adjusting this new information in my head. It's amazing how stubborn I
am about this, especially after reading this series about four times.

Even with Eddings saying so, it's still hard for me to use any
pronounciation other than "Bell-GARE-eth", simply based on the old
rascal's original name, Garath. I can't see it being pronounced
"Guh-Reth".

Perhaps, it's "BELL-gare-ath". Perhaps the stress was put on the
"Bel", changing the initial sound of the name. Would that have made
Belzedar, "BELL-zay-dar"?

Happy to know that I was indeed correct in my pronounciations of
Zedar, Melcene, Cthol Murgos and Ctuchik! :)

Wondering how you all pronounced the following names and places:

Aldur
Torak
Mara
UL
Marag
Maragor
Arend
Cherek
Nedra
Tolnedran
Cho-Hag
Hettar
Belkira & Beltira -- (wonder if Eddings ever made their pronounciation
official)
Belmakor
Belsambar

Sephy

Sep 22, 2002, 2:15:07 AM9/22/02
While I was supposed to be working, I heard Belgillis say...

> Adjusting this new information in my head. It's amazing how stubborn I
> am about this, especially after reading this series about four times.

Heh. Yup, it becomes habit, without even thinking about it.

> Even with Eddings saying so, it's still hard for me to use any
> pronounciation other than "Bell-GARE-eth",

I agree: even though the author himself says differently, I just can't
imagine Polgara pronounced with the "bat" thing, either. (For those who are
looking confused, DE says the (a) in "Polgara" is pronounced like the (a) in
"bat"...) She's Pol-GAH-ra to me, without even thinking about it. I still
can't figure how you got BelGAREeth out of Belgarath, though... okay, so I
can, but it's way down my list of possible pronunciations. ;-)
What part of the world are you from again? I'm sure that has an effect.
Example: the Aussie pronunciation of aluminium vs the Yankee pronunciation.
Completely different.

> simply based on the old rascal's original name, Garath. I can't see it
being pronounced
> "Guh-Reth".

It's funny, but I pronounce Belgarath and Garath with different stresses.
BEL-gah-rath, but Garath has the bat things. :) I guess that's because he
was Belgarath for so long before we were told about him being Garath.

> Perhaps, it's "BELL-gare-ath". Perhaps the stress was put on the
> "Bel", changing the initial sound of the name. Would that have made
> Belzedar, "BELL-zay-dar"?

Definitely. Only more of a zee / zi than a zay :) As in, Zeedar, becoming
Belziddar. Meh.

> Happy to know that I was indeed correct in my pronounciations of
> Zedar, Melcene, Cthol Murgos and Ctuchik! :)

Bah!! See above! ;-)

Oh, and Jeh... it's *REEEEEVA* (she ducks, she runs...)

Sephy ;-)

Achird

Sep 22, 2002, 1:43:04 PM9/22/02
Belgillis warait:

> Wondering how you all pronounced the following names and places:

[snipped list of words]

Unless all you English-speaking persons
I pronounce them all as they are spelled. ;^)

--
Achird a.k.a. Gunnar Creutz, Sweden
No real e-mail address is used.

Musiqua

Sep 22, 2002, 4:01:31 PM9/22/02
Architd wrote in alt.fan.eddings:

>Unless all you English-speaking persons
>I pronounce them all as they are spelled. ;^)

Touché, my friend. ;)

--
Musiqua
You've read, now listen.

Aaron Baugher

Sep 22, 2002, 6:40:34 PM9/22/02
Jehanneton <j...@jehanneton.co.uk> writes:

> Of course, we all know that the man is completely wrong about some
> of the pronounciations. I don't care if he (or Leigh) did make them
> up.

Yes, there's not much point in telling me how to pronounce the names
after I've already read them through 12 books. Too late to change
now.

Maybe in fantasy novels with weird names, authors should stick
phonetic pronounciations next to names when they first appear. Or
would that distract one from immersion in the story?

--
Aaron
abau...@esc.pike.il.us

Aaron Baugher

Sep 22, 2002, 6:45:33 PM9/22/02
mst3...@aol.com (Belgillis) writes:

> I was wondering how you all pronounced the names of various
> characters and places in the Belgariad/Malloreon world...

> Belgarath (Bell-GARE-eth)

BEL-gar-ath

> Polgara (Poll-GARE-uh)
> Ce'Nedra (Suh-NEH-druh)
> Belkira & Beltira (Bell-KEER-uh and Bell-TEER-uh)

Same.

> Ctuchik (TOO-chick)

I'm not sure I could say it out loud. I think it pretty much as it's
spelled. KTU-chik. Slurring the K and T together.

> Zedar (ZAY-darr)

ZEH-dar.

> Belar (BAY-larr)

BEh-lar.

> Cherek (KARE-ek)

CHER-ek.

> Riva (RYE-vuh)

Same.

> Drasnia (DRASS-nee-uh)

DRAZ-nee-uh.

> Cthol Murgos (Tholl MURR-goes)

Again, I slur the C and TH together, pronouncing the first word as one
syllable. Kthohl MUR-gohs. ('oh' being a long o as in 'so').

> Melcene (MELL-seen)

Mel-SEEN.

> Mandorallen (Man-DORE-uh-lun)

MAN-dor-AL-len. Primary stress on the first syllable, secondary on
the third.

> Lelldorin (LELL-dore-in)

Lell-DOR-in.

--
Aaron
abau...@esc.pike.il.us

Joshua Erb

Sep 22, 2002, 10:57:26 PM9/22/02
How many times does one need to reply to this man's post before you all get
the picture? Everyone has different pronounciations for every character,
and once you've read the book 8 times and have already immersed yourself
deep into the world, no matter what one says, they're gonna say the same
thing, even if Edding's himself says you should say Belgarath one way, I may
think it's another. So let's cease with the persistant newsposts trying to
correct this man's pronounciations. I've already seen 5 different
pronounciactions of Belgarath, so there's no telling which one is the
correct one.

--
-Joshua Erb
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is

Aaron Baugher

Sep 23, 2002, 12:29:57 AM9/23/02
"Joshua Erb" <ikub...@netins.net> writes:

> How many times does one need to reply to this man's post before you
> all get the picture? Everyone has different pronounciations for
> every character, and once you've read the book 8 times and have
> already immersed yourself deep into the world, no matter what one
> says, they're gonna say the same thing, even if Edding's himself
> says you should say Belgarath one way, I may think it's another. So
> let's cease with the persistant newsposts trying to correct this
> man's pronounciations. I've already seen 5 different
> pronounciactions of Belgarath, so there's no telling which one is
> the correct one.

I can't speak for everyone, but I wasn't trying to 'correct' anyone; I
was just offering the pronounciations that 'felt right' to me. It's
interesting, that's all. I've found that even when I loan books like
Eddings's to people with the same cultural and educational background
as me, they often come up with different pronounciations than I do.

And if their pronounciations are different, how much different must
their mental images of the characters and their personalities be.
That's why, although I think the Belgariad would make a great movie or
mini-series, I'm not sure anyone else could make it to satisfy me. :-)

--
Aaron
abau...@esc.pike.il.us

Sephy

Sep 23, 2002, 4:21:10 AM9/23/02
Quoth Aaron...

> It's interesting, that's all. I've found that even when I loan books like
> Eddings's to people with the same cultural and educational background
> as me, they often come up with different pronounciations than I do.

You're right, it is interesting. Which is why it's been a recurring thread
over the years, even with - if not more so because of - the tape from Papa
Eddings.

Sephy

Vanan01

Sep 28, 2002, 10:01:25 PM9/28/02
Sephrenia wrote:

>What part of the world are you from again? I'm sure that has an effect.
>Example: the Aussie pronunciation of aluminium vs the Yankee pronunciation.
>Completely different.

For the record, I want to make it known that some of those pronounciations
of his make as little sense here as they do elsewhere in the English speaking
world (not to mention the rest of the planet).

Vanan
-whose realization of the difference between our aluminum and your alumin_i_um
was one of the most interesting things I picked up at university. That and the
peculiar contortions you put the humble letter 'z' through...

Jehanneton

Sep 29, 2002, 12:35:49 AM9/29/02
While tuning my lute I heard Vanan say:

> -whose realization of the difference between our aluminum and your
> alumin_i_um was one of the most interesting things I picked up at
> university. That and the peculiar contortions you put the humble
> letter 'z' through...

Here in Australia aluminum is actually a product of bauxite that you get
before you make aluminium metal out of it. A whitish powder IIRC. Tany may
be able to assist here, coming from a town with one huge mother of an
aluminium smelter.

Did you ever tour the smelter, your Fairy-Queenship?

Tany

Sep 29, 2002, 7:50:27 AM9/29/02
OK, official warning: I am so bored and psycho with my thesis that I'm
giving half-arsed lectures in aluminium production. Head for the hills.

"Jehanneton" <j...@jehanneton.co.uk> wrote in message

> Did you ever tour the smelter, your Fairy-Queenship?

Oh, like, only once a year between the ages of five and sixteen. :-) They
give out these little information packs about the whole process. The
information packs contain samples of all three products: bauxite, alumina
(the powder) and aluminium (the solid metal).

Basically, it goes like this: Bauxite is mined out of the ground (good place
to mine stuff from, that) and appears as red (very red, rust red, dust gets
everywhere, filthy stuff) rocks. Horrible stuff is done to these rocks (it
involves huge vats of caustic soda and very high temperatures) at the end of
which you end up with a heap of red sludge, a lot of steam, and this
crystalised powder that actually looks a lot like cocaine.

Not that I'd actually know what cocaine looks like.

Anyway, the alumina is then shunted off and smelted into metal. I don't
know how that works; it happened at a different facility that my father
didn't work at and hence I didn't have to sit through the tour every single
Christmas party. But, hey, it was worth it for the jumping castle and the
free soft drink and icy poles.

A nice bit of macabre trivia to finish up with: alumina, once you get it
moving, acts like water. It is very, very easy to drown in.

- Tany (Addendum: this lecture was fully arsed.)
--
Beware the FEET, already!

Tany

Sep 29, 2002, 7:55:16 AM9/29/02
"Aaron Baugher" <abau...@esc.pike.il.us> wrote in message

> Maybe in fantasy novels with weird names, authors should stick
> phonetic pronounciations next to names when they first appear. Or
> would that distract one from immersion in the story?

My first reaction was: Hell yes, it would.

But then... well, it wouldn't really be any more distracting than when I
first come across a name like, say, Eldh, and I break from reading and spend
five minutes figuring out whether I'm going to pronounce it "Eld" or "Elth".

Pronunciation guides are nice. We likes them, so we does.

- Tany (Then again, sometimes English pronunciations are just as hard. My
cousin confused me terribly talking about Sparhawk's interaction with wars
until I realised that what he actually meant was 'whores'.)

Sheila

Sep 29, 2002, 8:10:03 AM9/29/02
In article <20020928220125...@mb-mc.aol.com>,
Vanan01 <van...@aol.com> wrote:

>That and the peculiar contortions you put the humble letter 'z' through...

When I was at school, the letter 'z' practically didn't exist. A lot of
the places Americans put 'z' we had to put 's' - like in realise, etc.

But historically, in parts of Scotland, z, y and th were all sounded much
the same and were used practically synonymously, and in some areas this is
still the case; 'the' is still said as 'ye' (or 'ee'), for example. The
name 'Menzies' is, properly speaking, pronounced 'Meengus' (ng pronounced
as in 'wrong'). A place spelled Moulzie is, locally, called Moolie.

I've seen a gravestone, dated in the seventeenth century IIRC, that's
engraved 'Ye zonger daughter'...

Poledra - who sometimes thinks 26 letters aren't enough. Pity we lost the
thorn, for example.

--
bluew...@btopenworld.com

Don't question authority - it doesn't know either.

Jehanneton

Sep 29, 2002, 9:09:24 PM9/29/02
While tuning my lute I heard Tany say:

> My
> cousin confused me terribly talking about Sparhawk's interaction with
> wars until I realised that what he actually meant was 'whores'.)

LOLOLOL!!!!!! This one is priceless.

Achird

Oct 8, 2002, 3:31:04 PM10/8/02
Poledra warait:

> Poledra - who sometimes thinks 26 letters aren't enough. Pity we lost
the
> thorn, for example.

I žink it would be really nice to reintroduce že žorn. ;^)

--
Achird a.k.a. Gunnar Creutz

Troels Forchhammer

Oct 9, 2002, 3:33:04 PM10/9/02
Achird wrote:

> Poledra warait:
>
> > Poledra - who sometimes thinks 26 letters aren't enough. Pity we lost
> the
> > thorn, for example.
>
> I şink it would be really nice to reintroduce şe şorn. ;^)

şink is correct, şe is not - it should have been 'ğe' ;-)

Apart from that, I'm all with you (I couldn't decide if it
should be wiğ or wiş).

You may call me Şroels ;-)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe
And Reboot +++
-- (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Ereinion Gil-galad

Oct 14, 2002, 7:49:30 AM10/14/02

"Troels Forchhammer" <Tro...@ThisIsFake.fk> wrote in message

> Achird wrote:
> >
> > Poledra warait:
> >
> > > Poledra - who sometimes thinks 26 letters aren't enough. Pity we lost
> > the
> > > thorn, for example.
> >
> > I şink it would be really nice to reintroduce şe şorn. ;^)
>
> şink is correct, şe is not - it should have been 'ğe' ;-)
>
> Apart from that, I'm all with you (I couldn't decide if it
> should be wiğ or wiş).

It was wiğ I think.

> You may call me Şroels ;-)
>
> --
> Troels Forchhammer
> Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

Ereinion Gil-galad
High King of the Noldor
gil-...@hotkey.net.au
(once Kal Zakath in this news group - many years ago)

Ereinion Gil-galad

Oct 14, 2002, 7:58:41 AM10/14/02
My opinions only here! A shame that we can't use IPA here...

Sephy

Oct 15, 2002, 11:51:51 PM10/15/02
Quoth Ereinion Gil-galad...

> Ereinion Gil-galad
> High King of the Noldor
> gil-...@hotkey.net.au
> (once Kal Zakath in this news group - many years ago)

!! *wave* Hello! Welcome back!

Sephy :)

Achird

Oct 16, 2002, 4:51:02 PM10/16/02
Troels Forchhammer warait:
> Achird wrote:
> > Poledra warait:

> > > Poledra - who sometimes thinks 26 letters aren't enough. Pity we
lost
> > > the thorn, for example.

> > I žink it would be really nice to reintroduce že žorn. ;^)

> žink is correct, že is not - it should have been 'še' ;-)

I can be wrong, but I žink Old English never had že ež (š).
I hope our Poledra will correct me if I am wrong.
But I am sure žat ež (š) came quite late into Icelandic.
E.g. the word "rįža" in my .sig should be spelled "rįša" in
Modern Icelandic, but back in Mediaeval times it was still "rįža".
So if we stick to the Old Icelandic (Old Norse) usage of žorn,
žen bož 'že', 'žis' and 'žat' would be spelled wiž žorn.

> You may call me Žroels ;-)

Of course Belžreols! ;^)

Gunžiharijaz
a.k.a. Achird
a.k.a. Gunnar Creutz, Sweden

No real e-mail address is used.

\////\\///\\//\\////\\/\\\/////\\////\\\/\\//\\\///\\\/////\\////\\\///
//\//\////\\\////\\\///\\///\\\///\\\//////\\\//\\//\\////\/////\\/////
"Veiztu hve rįža scal?" / Hįvamįl

Sheila

Oct 17, 2002, 3:01:23 AM10/17/02
In article <aokjdc$7n5$4...@liqcryst.chemie.uni-hamburg.de>,

Achird <achi...@hem2.passagen.se> wrote:
> Troels Forchhammer warait:
> > Achird wrote:
> > > Poledra warait:

> lost

> > > I şink it would be really nice to reintroduce şe şorn. ;^)

> > şink is correct, şe is not - it should have been 'ğe' ;-)

> I can be wrong, but I şink Old English never had şe eş (ğ).

> I hope our Poledra will correct me if I am wrong.

Lord, I started something here, didn't I?

I *think* OE probably had the thorn, but I'm not sure. One form of English
certainly did. It might have been brought here by the Norse.

But it would certainly simplify the teaching of reading since the sound
represented by the thorn would be different from the sound represented by
'th'.

Poledra

Troels Forchhammer

Oct 17, 2002, 4:04:03 PM10/17/02
Sheila wrote:

> Achird <achi...@hem2.passagen.se> wrote:
>> Troels Forchhammer warait:

>>> şink is correct, şe is not - it should have been 'ğe' ;-)
>>
>> I can be wrong, but I şink Old English never had şe eş (ğ).
>> I hope our Poledra will correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Lord, I started something here, didn't I?

But a good şing, surely ;-)

> I *think* OE probably had the thorn, but I'm not sure. One
> form of English certainly did. It might have been brought
> here by the Norse.

But we were talking about ğe 'ğ' ;-)
Did ğat exist in Old English, or is it strictly Icelandic
and Faroese(?) ğat has it (I şink ğere were a corresponding
letter in old Norse, but I'm not entirely sure).

> But it would certainly simplify the teaching of reading since the sound
> represented by the thorn would be different from the sound represented by
> 'th'.

'ğ' ;-)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

Ash nazg durbatuluk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk
agh burzum ishi krimpatul.
-- Tolkien in The Fellowship of the Ring

Sheila

Oct 17, 2002, 5:13:38 PM10/17/02
In article <3DAF17B3...@ThisIsFake.fk>,
Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.fk> wrote:

> But we were talking about ğe 'ğ' ;-) Did ğat exist in Old English, or is
> it strictly Icelandic and Faroese(?) ğat has it (I şink ğere were a
> corresponding letter in old Norse, but I'm not entirely sure).

Again, I'm not sure, but because of the Norse influence, if there was, it
probably was in OE as well. Any mediaeval or pre-mediaeval scholars on the
list?

Ereinion Gil-galad

Oct 18, 2002, 5:13:47 AM10/18/02
Old English did have both thorn and eth, but they were not separate phonemes
(ie they did not represent two different sounds). Originally, eth
represented a voiced 'th' sound (like in 'mother') and thorn voiceless (like
'thorn', funnily enough), but in OE the usage was just established by
convention - hence bæğ 'bath' (pronounced with voiceless) and bağu 'baths'
(pronounced with voiced)...

--

Ereinion Gil-galad
High King of the Noldor
gil-...@hotkey.net.au
(once Kal Zakath in this news group - many years ago)

"Troels Forchhammer" <Tro...@ThisIsFake.fk> wrote in message

Troels Forchhammer

Oct 19, 2002, 10:35:50 AM10/19/02
Ereinion Gil-galad wrote:

> "Troels Forchhammer" <Tro...@ThisIsFake.fk> wrote:
>>
>> But we were talking about ğe 'ğ' ;-)
>> Did ğat exist in Old English, or is it strictly Icelandic
>> and Faroese(?) ğat has it (I şink ğere were a corresponding
>> letter in old Norse, but I'm not entirely sure).
>
> Old English did have both thorn and eth, but they were not separate phonemes
> (ie they did not represent two different sounds). Originally, eth
> represented a voiced 'th' sound (like in 'mother') and thorn voiceless (like
> 'thorn', funnily enough), but in OE the usage was just established by
> convention - hence bæğ 'bath' (pronounced with voiceless) and bağu 'baths'
> (pronounced with voiced)...

Şank you ;-)

In Icelandic and Faroese they are distinct phonemes.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Ereinion Gil-galad

Oct 20, 2002, 5:03:04 AM10/20/02

> Ereinion Gil-galad wrote:
> >
> > "Troels Forchhammer" <Tro...@ThisIsFake.fk> wrote:
> >>
> >> But we were talking about ğe 'ğ' ;-)
> >> Did ğat exist in Old English, or is it strictly Icelandic
> >> and Faroese(?) ğat has it (I şink ğere were a corresponding
> >> letter in old Norse, but I'm not entirely sure).
> >
> > Old English did have both thorn and eth, but they were not separate
phonemes
> > (ie they did not represent two different sounds). Originally, eth
> > represented a voiced 'th' sound (like in 'mother') and thorn voiceless
(like
> > 'thorn', funnily enough), but in OE the usage was just established by
> > convention - hence bæğ 'bath' (pronounced with voiceless) and bağu
'baths'
> > (pronounced with voiced)...
>
> Şank you ;-)
>
> In Icelandic and Faroese they are distinct phonemes.

Yes - this is where they originate, I think.

Are you a scholar of Old Germanic Languages?

--
Ereinion Gil-galad
High King of the Noldor
gil-...@hotkey.net.au
(once Kal Zakath in this news group - many years ago)

(a scholar of linguistics - esp historical linguistics - and Germanic
Studies - esp German, Dutch & English)

Troels Forchhammer

Oct 20, 2002, 9:06:40 AM10/20/02
Ereinion Gil-galad wrote:

> "Troels Forchhammer" <Tro...@ThisIsFake.fk> wrote:
>>
>> Ereinion Gil-galad wrote:
>>>
>>> Old English did have both thorn and eth, but they were
>>> not separate phonemes (ie they did not represent two
>>> different sounds). Originally, eth represented a voiced
>>> 'th' sound (like in 'mother') and thorn voiceless (like
>>> 'thorn', funnily enough), but in OE the usage was just
>>> established by convention - hence bæğ 'bath' (pronounced
>>> with voiceless) and bağu 'baths' (pronounced with voiced)...
>>
>> Şank you ;-)
>>
>> In Icelandic and Faroese they are distinct phonemes.
>
> Yes - this is where they originate, I think.
>
> Are you a scholar of Old Germanic Languages?

Oh, dear - no! By no means and far from.

I am just interested, but I have unfortunately never had the
time to study it in any systematic way - just some titbits
here and there ;-)

fi.md...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2015, 3:54:31 AM4/12/15
Thank you for your precious posting Khendon (Jason Williams). It was so lovely to hear the great mans pronunciations of his creations. There were a few questions answered here particularly why this book hadn't made it to the silver screen yet. What a shame.