Fake Dispute

Tony

Mar 8, 2010, 6:21:05 PM3/8/10
In Dune, Shaddam says:

"And this fake dispute with Duke Leto," the Emperor purred, sinking back into
his throne. "How beautifully you maneuvered it."

Why did the Emperor think the Baron had a fake dispute with Duke Leto?

Andrew Lovette

Mar 25, 2010, 10:40:57 PM3/25/10

I always interpreted it as political CYA... he's making that public
statements to set up his extricating himself from any suggestion that
he assisted in the original invasion. Don't forget that (if my memory
serves) he makes that statement while receiving the Baron in front of
the Court, etc.

(In other words: "Sardaukar in Harkonnen livery? What Sardaukar?")

Tony

Mar 26, 2010, 11:35:33 AM3/26/10

"Andrew Lovette" <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote in message news:

Are you saying that if people thought there was a fake dispute between the
Atreides and the Harkonnens, they would be less likely to believe that he
Emperor was mixed up in it? However, who would believe it was a fake dispute.
Hadn't the Harkonnens displaced the Atreides and caused Leto's death?

Zach Edwardson

Mar 31, 2010, 1:31:41 PM3/31/10
The Duke and Baron where old rivals, the Baron made sink about
something unimportant, followed the offical forms, and then launched
Kanley.

Tony

Mar 31, 2010, 1:41:41 PM3/31/10

"Zach Edwardson" <zsedw...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:

> The Duke and Baron where old rivals, the Baron made sink about
> something unimportant, followed the offical forms, and then launched
> Kanley.

And there was the old feud:

"There'll be much bloodshed soon," she said. "The Harkonnens won't rest
until they're dead or my Duke destroyed. The Baron cannot forget that Leto is a
cousin of the royal blood--no matter what the distance--while the Harkonnen
titles came out of the CHOAM pocketbook. But the poison in him, deep in his
mind, is the knowledge that an Atreides had a Harkonnen banished for cowardice
after, the Battle of Corrin."
"The old feud," Yueh muttered.

This doesn't sound like a fake dispute.

Tuono Boy

Apr 4, 2010, 2:48:26 AM4/4/10
On Mar 31, 1:41 pm, "Tony" <t...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Zach Edwardson" <zsedward...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:

> > The Duke and Baron where old rivals, the Baron made sink about
> > something unimportant, followed the offical forms, and then launched
> > Kanley.
>
> And there was the old feud:
>
>     "There'll be much bloodshed soon," she said. "The Harkonnens won't rest
> until they're dead or my Duke destroyed.
>
> This doesn't sound like a fake dispute.

Wasn't the Atreides/Harkonnen feud a pretext for the real dispute
between Leto and the Emperor, stemming from the Emperor feeling
threatened by Leto's popularity in the Landsraad?

Dr Raveem Ismail

Oct 6, 2018, 9:11:18 PM10/6/18
On Sunday, 4 April 2010 07:48:26 UTC+1, Tuono Boy wrote:
> Wasn't the Atreides/Harkonnen feud a pretext for the real dispute
> between Leto and the Emperor, stemming from the Emperor feeling
> threatened by Leto's popularity in the Landsraad?

Nailed it. That's the exact and only answer to Tony's question.