"Cottages at Cordeville" Chapterhouse Dune

Giles Brennand

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Could someone give me the precise context and description of Van Gogh's
"Cottages at Cordeville" in the Bene Gesserit's Mother Superior's office as
described in Chapterhouse Dune (my copy is in France and I'll not be ther
until next summer)

Thanks

Samuel Sands

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

Giles Brennand wrote:

Chapterhouse: Dune Ace SF Paperback Page 163...

"Her gaze went past the desert map to the Van Gogh painting in its
protective frame and cover on the wall at the foot of her cot.

Cottages at Cordeville.

A better map than the one marking the growth of the desert, she thought.
Remind me Vincent, of where I came from and what I yet may do."

Chapterhouse: Dune Ace SF Paperback Page 166...

"Odrade's eyes snapped open. She focused on the Van Gogh painting. My
choice. It put tensions on the long span of human history that Other Memory
could not. You sent me a message, Vincent. And because of you, I will not cut
off my ear...or send useless love messages to ones who do not care. That's the
least I can do to honor you."

http://www.postershop.com/vangogh/vgo45_e.htm

Sam Sands

> Thanks

Samuel Sands

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

WEHATCLW wrote:

> <snippers>
> >
> >http://www.postershop.com/vangogh/vgo45_e.htm
> >
> >Sam Sands
>
> Sam, thanks for the link to the painting. I have read the series three times,
> never bothered to find the Van Gogh. Herbert made an excellent choice in
> selecting a piece that communicates the timeless joys and beauty of a peaceful
> home.

Agreed. His paintings, especially landscapes, convey a lot even though the
lines are not defined. I also love Starry Night.

The following link gives a small picture that you can increase by clicking on
it. The resultant image makes nice wallpaper. :^)

http://metalab.unc.edu/wm/paint/auth/gogh/starry-night/

Here is a *clearer* view of "Cottages at Cordeville" that is nicer than the
other image I posted. Also very good for wallpaper.

http://metalab.unc.edu/wm/paint/auth/gogh/landscapes/gogh.cordeville.jpg

Sam Sands

> Bill in Clearwater

WEHATCLW

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
>Subject: Re: "Cottages at Cordeville" Chapterhouse Dune
>From: Samuel Sands ssa...@bellsouth.net
>Date: Tue, 05 October 1999 01:22 PM EDT
>http://www.postershop.com/vangogh/vgo45_e.htm
>
>Sam Sands

Sam, thanks for the link to the painting. I have read the series three times,
never bothered to find the Van Gogh. Herbert made an excellent choice in
selecting a piece that communicates the timeless joys and beauty of a peaceful
home.

Bill in Clearwater

xkot

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 22:28:03 -0400, Samuel Sands
<ssa...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Agreed. His paintings, especially landscapes, convey a lot even though the
>lines are not defined. I also love Starry Night.
>
> The following link gives a small picture that you can increase by clicking on
>it. The resultant image makes nice wallpaper. :^)
>
>http://metalab.unc.edu/wm/paint/auth/gogh/starry-night/
>
> Here is a *clearer* view of "Cottages at Cordeville" that is nicer than the
>other image I posted. Also very good for wallpaper.
>
>http://metalab.unc.edu/wm/paint/auth/gogh/landscapes/gogh.cordeville.jpg
>
>Sam Sands

In an odd bit of synchronicity, I noticed tonight that our local Books
A Million is selling a Van Gogh calendar that features this painting.
If you're looking for a hard copy of the image and don't want to spend
much money, you may want to check out the calendars at your bookstore.

-Xkot

Samuel Sands

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

Samuel Sands wrote:

> Giles Brennand wrote:
>
> > Could someone give me the precise context and description of Van Gogh's
> > "Cottages at Cordeville" in the Bene Gesserit's Mother Superior's office as
> > described in Chapterhouse Dune (my copy is in France and I'll not be ther
> > until next summer)
>
> Chapterhouse: Dune Ace SF Paperback Page 163...
>
> "Her gaze went past the desert map to the Van Gogh painting in its
> protective frame and cover on the wall at the foot of her cot.
>
> Cottages at Cordeville.
>
> A better map than the one marking the growth of the desert, she thought.
> Remind me Vincent, of where I came from and what I yet may do."
>
> Chapterhouse: Dune Ace SF Paperback Page 166...
>
> "Odrade's eyes snapped open. She focused on the Van Gogh painting. My
> choice. It put tensions on the long span of human history that Other Memory
> could not. You sent me a message, Vincent. And because of you, I will not cut
> off my ear...or send useless love messages to ones who do not care. That's the
> least I can do to honor you."
>
> http://www.postershop.com/vangogh/vgo45_e.htm

I forgot about the references to the painting in HoD as well. So here is all
that I could find additionally, including the small bit at the end of Ch:D.

Heretics of Dune Berkley SF Paperback pages 130-131...

"Odrade closed her eyes and memory startled her by producing of itself an
image of a painting. The thing occupied a space on the wall of Taraza's morning
room. Ixian artifice had preserved the painting in the finest hermetically sealed
frame behind a cover of invisible plaz. Odrade often stopped in front of the
painting, feeling each time that her had might reach out and actually touch the
ancient canvas so cunningly preserved by the Ixians.

Cottages at Cordeville.

The artist's name for his work and his own name were preserved on a burnished
plate beneath the painting: Vincent Van Gogh.

The thing dated from a time so ancient that only rare remnants such as this
painting remained to send a physical impression down the ages. She had tried to
imagine the journeys that painting had taken, the serial chance that had brought
it intact to Taraza's room.

The Ixians had been at their best in the preservation and storage. An observer
could could touch a dark spot on the lower left corner of the frame. Immediately,
you were engulfed in the true genius, not only of the artist, but of the Ixian who
had restored and preserved the work. His name was there on the frame: Martin Buro.
When touched by the human finger, the dot became a sense projector, a benign
spin-off of the technology that had produced the Ixian Probe. Buro had restored
not only the painting but the painter - Van Gogh's feeling - accompaniment to each
brush stroke. All had been captured in the brush strokes, recorded there by human
movements.

Odrade had stood there engrossed through the whole performance so many times
she felt she could recreate the painting independently.

Recalling this experience so near to Teg's accusation, she knew at once why
her memory had reproduced the image for her, why that painting still fascinated
her. For the brief space of that replay she always felt totally human, aware of
the cottages as places where real people dwelled, aware in some complete way of
the living chain that had paused there in the person of the mad Vincent Van Gogh,
paused to record itself."

Heretics of Dune Berkley SF Paperback page 142...

"Odrade merely nodded. What a fascinating child. Odrade experienced the
sensations she felt while standing in front of the ancient painting in Taraza's
quarters. Some of the fire that had gone into the work of art inspired Odrade now.
Wild inspiration! That was the message from the mad Van Gogh. Chaos brought into
magnificent order. Was that not part of the Sisterhood's coda?

This child is my canvas, Odrade thought. She felt her hand tingle to the
feeling of that ancient brush. Her nostrils flared to the smells of oils and
pigments."

Chapterhouse: Dune Ace SF Paperback Page 429...

"You know, don't you, Sheeana took the Van Gogh painting from ... your
sleeping chamber?"

Why does that hurt?

"Said she was borrowing it for her room in the ship."

Sam (I hope I didn't break the *fair use* doctrine) Sands

> Sam Sands
>

> > Thanks

rkrig...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2018, 9:11:35 AM11/9/18
The most important reference, from pp. 202-204 of Chapterhouse:Dune

Idaho felt his stomach muscles tighten. Odrade had brought him a holorecord of the painting she kept in her sleeping chamber. Cottages at Cordeville by Vincent Van Gogh. Awakening him in this bed at some witching hour of the night almost a month ago. “You asked for my hold on humanity and here it is.” Thrusting the holo in front of his sleep-fogged eyes. He sat up and stared at the thing, trying to comprehend. What was wrong with her? Odrade sounded so excited. She left the holo in his hands while she turned on all of the lights, giving the room a sense of hard and immediate shapes, everything vaguely mechanical the way you would expect it in a no-ship. Where was Murbella? They had gone to sleep together. He focused on the holo and it touched him in an unaccountable way, as though it linked him to Odrade. Her hold on her humanity? The holo felt cold to his hands. She took it from him and propped it on the side table where he stared at it while she found a chair and sat near his head. Sitting? Something compelled her to be near him! “It was painted by a madman on Old Terra,” she said, bringing her cheek close to his while both looked at the copy of the painting. “Look at it! An encapsulated human moment.” In a landscape? Yes, dammit. She was right. He stared at the holo. Those marvelous colors! It was not just the colors. It was the totality. “Most modern artists would laugh at the way he created that,” Odrade said. Couldn’t she be silent while he looked at it? “That was a human being as ultimate recorder,” Odrade said. “The human hand, the human eye, the human essence brought to focus in the awareness of one person who tested the limits. ” Tested the limits! More of the mosaic. “Van Gogh did that with the most primitive materials and equipment.” She sounded almost drunk. “Pigments a cave-man would have recognized! Painted on a fabric he could have made with his own hands. He might have made the tools himself from fur and wild twigs.” She touched the surface of the holo, her finger placing a shadow across the tall trees. “The cultural level was crude by our standards, but see what he produced?” Idaho felt he should say something but words would not come. Where was Murbella? Why wasn’t she here? Odrade pulled back and her next words burned themselves into him. “That painting says you cannot suppress the wild thing, the uniqueness that will occur among humans no matter how much we try to avoid it.” Idaho tore his gaze away from the holo and looked at Odrade’s lips when she spoke. “Vincent told us something important about our fellows in the Scattering.” This long-dead painter? About the Scattering? “They have done things out there and are doing things we cannot imagine. Wild things! The explosive size of that Scattered population insures it.”