Othercon attendees read here!

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Aug 14, 2020, 2:39:11 PM8/14/20
For those that attended Othercon and are curious about Alt.Fan.Dragons and other dragonkin communities, please feel welcome to reply to this post and us grey scales can fill you in.

This Usenet is one of the oldest, still standing Dragonkin communities still running today. Welcome to the olden world of Dragonkin!

Had to repost so I can keep track of this easier

Aster wolfHeart

Aug 16, 2020, 4:04:25 AM8/16/20
Heyo, I have arrived here from othercon, didn't know this was a thing before so I decided to come see what this was all about.
Sorry if I screw this reply up, I've never used google groups before.

Sincerely, your friendly neighborhood wolf,
~Aster
Message has been deleted

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Aug 16, 2020, 7:50:08 PM8/16/20
Hello sorry for the slow reply. Yes this is Alt.Fan.Dragons the original dragonkin Usenet group. Google Groups is just a means of getting access to the Usenet. Depending on your internet provider and using a client able to still view Usenet like Thunderbird (unless they axed support by now).

Usenet existed well before forums. Basically Usenet is a classic Bulletin Board System.

There's also Alfandria MUCK which is a telnet-based MU* system. Basically imagine SecondLife if it were entirely text-based.

You can find more information about Alfandria here: https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Alfandria

Aster wolfHeart

Aug 16, 2020, 11:05:02 PM8/16/20
Its okay, thank you for the reply, i'll probably check out that later, i think i'm just going to lurk here for a while :)

~Aster

Bluefire

Aug 18, 2020, 5:19:53 AM8/18/20
On 17/08/2020 01:50, Dafydd Edward Dragon wrote:
> Depending on your internet provider and using a client able to still view Usenet like Thunderbird (unless they axed support by now).

Nope! I can confirm that Thunderbird still supports it, as it's what I'm
using right now to send this message. You don't have to rely on your ISP
for a Usenet server either (my ISP, for example, no longer supplies one
and I use http://www.eternal-september.org instead).
--
Bluefire | https://bluefi.re | DC2.Dw Gm L W T Phvfwlt Sks
Cbk\bl-,bgy,vwh Bfl A- M- H++ $ Fc J I--# V+++ Tc+++! E-

Sfner

Aug 19, 2020, 3:44:16 PM8/19/20
On 18/08/2020 06:19, Bluefire wrote:
> On 17/08/2020 01:50, Dafydd Edward Dragon wrote:
>> Depending on your internet provider and using a client able to still
>> view Usenet like Thunderbird (unless they axed support by now).
>
> Nope! I can confirm that Thunderbird still supports it, as it's what I'm
> using right now to send this message. You don't have to rely on your ISP
> for a Usenet server either (my ISP, for example, no longer supplies one
> and I use http://www.eternal-september.org instead).

Thanks! I was searching for a way I could access Usenet from outside
Google's latency-sensitive client but all have I found were
piracy-focused servers that didn't have access to this community.

Lord Flame Stryke

Aug 19, 2020, 9:05:28 PM8/19/20
Aster wolfHeart <realmc...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Heyo, I have arrived here from othercon, didn't know this was a thing
> before so I decided to come see what this was all about. Sorry if I
> screw this reply up, I've never used google groups before.

Welcome, Aster!

Lord Flame Stryke
--

DC2.D~ Gm L120f60t180w W T Phwalt Sks Cbk,ere' Bfl A+++! Fr+++ Nm M+ O H+
$ Fc~ R+++! Ac+++ J+ S++ U! I# V+++! Q Tc++ E++
Vutha darastrix, charir saurivic, relinkur, hewa.
Holder of the Scroll of Nobility from Lady Viriatha, Keeper of the Wand
of Sparklies in its case from Hex, Wielder of the Lady Viri Signature 4x8
from Ysable, Eater of the Mint Cheesecake from Whisper, Mate to Lady
Viriatha, Owner of Flame Stryke's Windex© Factory, Lord Balloonmaker,
Borrower of the Ebony Wood Fife from Luxatos, Accepter of the Small
Statue of a Green Dragon Covered in Ice Cream Toppings from Juniper,
Employer of a miniature Jester doll from SeaKing, Bearer of the Magic
Ever-Bill from SeaKing, Carrier of the gold piece from whisper: o,
Builder of Dragon Fyre Keep, First Dragon of Realism, Giver of the
Pickaxe of Icebreaking to Kalos, Winner of the *shiny* riddle award from
Pegasus, Wearer of the big *shiny* medal of posting-ness from Pegasus,
Taker of the Gold Medal for Most Posts in March 2007 (369), Aquirer of
the little blue flower from Pegasus, Requirer of the .sig barber as
informed by Lady Viriatha, Adopter of the Scale of Rememberance from Gray
Wing

--
"If I had a million ducats, I'd buy you an exotic pet, like a
dragon or a unicorn." -- Brobdingnagian Bards, "If I Had a

Lord Flame Stryke

Aug 19, 2020, 9:07:10 PM8/19/20
Bluefire <pub...@bluefi.re> wrote in news:rhg6fo$7m0$1...@dont-email.me:

> On 17/08/2020 01:50, Dafydd Edward Dragon wrote:
>> Depending on your internet provider and using a client able to still
>> view Usenet like Thunderbird (unless they axed support by now).
> Nope! I can confirm that Thunderbird still supports it, as it's what
> I'm using right now to send this message. You don't have to rely on
> your ISP for a Usenet server either (my ISP, for example, no longer
> supplies one and I use http://www.eternal-september.org instead).

I, too, use Eternal September. but I use Xnews, which is an abandonware
usenet client.

Lord Flame Stryke
--

[...]

"It's no use crying over spilt milk -- it only makes it salty
for the cat." -- Herd Thinners