Will it be dangerous for immature dragons to fly?

jin xun

May 27, 2022, 3:51:15 AM5/27/22
It's a rather old and maybe recurring topic, but I am still interested.
Some other guy read in some fan-made dragon novels that in its setting young dragons are not allowed to fly alone until they are licensed due to the danger of flying. The author seemed to explain in the book that flying is a much more dangerous movement, but will it still be so for (airborne) dragons that basically regard flying as their main ways of transport, just like we walk and run? People won't require children to be licensed to walk or run, right?

Bluefire

May 31, 2022, 6:30:50 AM5/31/22
On 27/05/2022 09:51, jin xun wrote:
> It's a rather old and maybe recurring topic, but I am still interested.
> Some other guy read in some fan-made dragon novels that in its setting young dragons are not allowed to fly alone until they are licensed due to the danger of flying. The author seemed to explain in the book that flying is a much more dangerous movement, but will it still be so for (airborne) dragons that basically regard flying as their main ways of transport, just like we walk and run? People won't require children to be licensed to walk or run, right?

There is always a danger, license or not. Yeah, you'll likely trip and
fall pretty badly a few times in your life, but that's simply the way it
goes. It's also the case when it comes to driving. Sure, you got your
license, but mistakes will still be made, and that's how you learn.

When it comes to flying for winged dragons, I feel it is not just a mode
of transport but also a way for expressing themselves, and it is so
integral to who they are that I would consider forbidding them to fly
plain cruel and inhumane.

As for safety, sure, flying *can* be dangerous, but is it really in
practice? Sure, the movements are complex, but they would be second
nature to a dragon, in the same way walking or running is quite a
complex movement but are second nature to a human. Furthermore, it could
be argued alternatives to flying are even more dangerous. Take, for
example, the bicycle, something that doesn't require a license to use.
Is it really safer to navigate the already busy ground traffic amongst
pedestrians, cyclists, cars, busses and trucks using something as
vulnerable as a bicycle rather than just fly in the open sky? There is a
reason airplanes are one of the safest ways to travel.