Raistlin v Lord Soth

eclipse

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth contemplating a
possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up against each
other??

eclipse.

--
"Beautiful souls, be happy, be one.
Behold, your heaven has now begun."

ecl...@thenet.co.uk

DJBellisle

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96
to ecl...@thenet.co.uk

How does "Nice knowing you, Lord Soth" sound?
--
"Reading a good book is like sinking your fingers up to the knuckle in
someone's brain."

Doorslam Maptaker

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

eclipse wrote:

> Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth contemplating a
> possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
> What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up against each
> other??

Just remember, in Legends, when Soth and Raistlin meet, what Soth says:

"I bow in the presence of a master."

--
Doorslam Maptaker
AKA Blake Sorensen

Synicism

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Not much. They'd probably realize the futility of their actions and
proceed to do something else. Neither of them are stupid.

Draco

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

In article <4reetb$r...@babylon.fcl.net>, ecl...@thenet.co.uk wrote:

> Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth contemplating a
> possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
> What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up against each
> other??
>

> eclipse.
>
> --
> "Beautiful souls, be happy, be one.
> Behold, your heaven has now begun."
>
> ecl...@thenet.co.uk

I beliver that at one point in Time of the Twins ,Soth pointed out all his
powers and then bowed to Raistlin. Raistlin could kill or even command
lord Soth.

Scott Ethington

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Soth would be CHEESE-TOAST!!

Like a few people pointed out, Soth mentioned his many abilities/powers
and then bowed to his master.

Now against Dalamar...this could be REAL close.

Scott Ethington

Ethi...@hsc.usc.edu

Bung

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

ecl...@thenet.co.uk (eclipse) writes:
> Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth contemplating a
> possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
> What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up against each
> other??

There only one person that Soth feared living on Krynn at that
time. He respected and came to love and fear Kit, but he was always
wary of Raistlin. Raist was the only person he woulf not have
confronted, even for Kitiara.

Dalamar? Maybe. Raistlin, no. Raistlin would have killed (again)
Soth. Think. If Raistlin could challenge the Dark Queen herself,
on her home plane and win, what chance Soth?

Bung

Lucas Ashlar

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

ecl...@thenet.co.uk (eclipse) wrote:

>Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth contemplating a
>possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
>What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up against each
>other??

>eclipse.

> --
>"Beautiful souls, be happy, be one.
> Behold, your heaven has now begun."

> ecl...@thenet.co.uk
Well, Raist IS definitely a master. As shown by Soth's refusal to
fight Raistlin.

Sir Luc
Lord of Night of the Order of the Thorn

Brian Trapp

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

Lucas Ashlar (lee...@pl.jaring.my) wrote:
: ecl...@thenet.co.uk (eclipse) wrote:

: >eclipse.

Raistlin would definately turn Soth into Sludge. If Raistlin holds power
over the wraiths in the tower who are definately very powerful with just
his commands, he could definately to horrible things to Soth.

Brian Trapp

P.S. Elistan at the height of his power or Crysania would have limited
power over him as they could turn him, though it would be very difficult
but it wouldn't be impossible.

JAMES E CHAMBERS

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Lucas Ashlar (lee...@pl.jaring.my) wrote:
> : ecl...@thenet.co.uk (eclipse) wrote:
>
> : >Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth contemplating a
> : >possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
> : >What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up against each
> : >other??
>
> : >eclipse.
>
> : > --
> : >"Beautiful souls, be happy, be one.
> : > Behold, your heaven has now begun."
>
> : > ecl...@thenet.co.uk

Soth already demonstrated that Raistlin was his better, and gave him
full respect. ("... but I bow before a Master.") He also contemplated
that Kitiria should not underestimate her brother when planning her
attack on Palanthas.

** Jamie

Rowanoak

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <31E1A9...@mymail.net>, JAMES E CHAMBERS
<jecha...@mymail.net> wrote:

-=> Lucas Ashlar (lee...@pl.jaring.my) wrote:
-=> > : ecl...@thenet.co.uk (eclipse) wrote:
-=> >
-=> > : >Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth
contemplating a
-=> > : >possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
-=> > : >What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up
against each
-=> > : >other??
-=> >
-=> > : >eclipse.
-=> >
-=> > : > --
-=> > : >"Beautiful souls, be happy, be one.
-=> > : > Behold, your heaven has now begun."
-=> >
-=> > : > ecl...@thenet.co.uk
-=>
-=> Soth already demonstrated that Raistlin was his better, and gave him
-=> full respect. ("... but I bow before a Master.") He also contemplated
-=> that Kitiria should not underestimate her brother when planning her
-=> attack on Palanthas.

Soth probably gave Raitlin a wide berth because of his closeness with
Takhisis. If Raistlin was ever seriously challenged, he could call on her
to aid him. Soth would want to curry favor with her to further his own
ends.

--
Without adventure civilization is in full decay.
Alfred Whitemore

Naltia

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

<jecha...@mymail.net> writes:

>Soth already demonstrated that Raistlin was his better, and gave him

>full respect. ("... but I bow before a Master.") He also contemplated

>that Kitiria should not underestimate her brother when planning her

>attack on Palanthas.
>
> ** Jamie

Showing respect for someone doesn't necessarily mean that Soth considered
Raistlin his better. Soth saw that Raistlin was very great and powerful
in his magic, and thus showed him great respect. I believe Soth and
Raistlin, if they did fight each other, could be equally matched. But, as
far as I can see, there is no reason for them to fight.

Drew Motto
The Kender with Multiple Personality

Michael O'Neill

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Just a thought...
If Lord Soth's curse is to live (unlive... whatever) forever (or to be
more specific to live a lifetime for everylife he destroyed) then how
could he possibly be destroyed, even by Raistlin? The fact that he said
"I bow before a Master" could just mean that he bows before the Master of
past and present. Note how master is capitalized in the book. Soth may
be refering to the Master of past and present.
Just a thought.

Patrick
"Never Explain, Never Defend." Lyim Rhistadt

Jamie1km

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In article <4s1fhl$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, nal...@aol.com (Naltia)
writes:

>>Soth already demonstrated that Raistlin was his better, and gave him
>>full respect. ("... but I bow before a Master.") He also contemplated
>>that Kitiria should not underestimate her brother when planning her
>>attack on Palanthas.
>>
>> ** Jamie
>
>Showing respect for someone doesn't necessarily mean that Soth considered
>Raistlin his better. Soth saw that Raistlin was very great and powerful
>in his magic, and thus showed him great respect. I believe Soth and
>Raistlin, if they did fight each other, could be equally matched. But,
as
>far as I can see, there is no reason for them to fight.

If you remember the dialogue that proceeded that quote, Soth demonstrated
that
he feared nothing, that he was mighty and powerful, and effectively
acknowledged
Raistlin as his better.

** Jamie

figu...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In article <Mortoc-0107...@port40.annex2.net.ubc.ca>, Mor...@Unixg.ubc.ca (Draco) writes:

> I beliver that at one point in Time of the Twins ,Soth pointed out all his
> powers and then bowed to Raistlin. Raistlin could kill or even command
> lord Soth.

Raistlin could kill practically anyone. Soth vs Dalamar I'd have to go with
Soth. They might be equal, but I like Soth far more. Then again, Soth may
have simply been more powerful during the Legends. I know Dalamar is more
powerful in DOSF.

Darksphere

Naltia

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In article <4s53q8$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, jami...@aol.com (Jamie1km)
writes:

>If you remember the dialogue that proceeded that quote, Soth demonstrated
>that
>he feared nothing, that he was mighty and powerful, and effectively
>acknowledged
>Raistlin as his better.
>
> ** Jamie

Flattery is time-honored way of getting what you want.

If you study the statistics of death knights, and Lord Soth in particular,
you would find that if the Raistlin and Soth ever fought, Raistlin
wouldn't have a chance against him. The biggest reason is because death
knights have such an incredible magic resistance; so incredible that any
spell cast at a death knight has a chance of bouncing _BACK_ at the
caster! Since Raisltin only had his spells, he wouldn't have had a
chance!

Despite this, Lord Soth had no reason to kill Raistlin. He, in fact, had
every reason to keep the ambitious wizard alive.....

Drew Motto
The Kender with Multiple Personality Syndrome

Todd Swantek

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

I believe that Soth could take Dalamar Pre, Post, whatever DoSF.
Raistlin is another story. The 'Allmighty One' would have a battle on
his hands, but, I believe he'd win.

Justarius
"Some knowledge is better left unrecovered."
'Night of The Eye'

Zifnab the Zany

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

>Just a thought...
>If Lord Soth's curse is to live (unlive... whatever) forever (or to be
>more specific to live a lifetime for everylife he destroyed) then how
>could he possibly be destroyed, even by Raistlin? The fact that he said
>"I bow before a Master" could just mean that he bows before the Master of
>past and present. Note how master is capitalized in the book. Soth may
>be refering to the Master of past and present.
>Just a thought.

Ye know..that makes good logical sense. I'd have to say I agree with
ye on this one. Soth can't quite be killed. Raist was Master of the
Past and Present..but in Soth's case...so what? Time has no effect
for Soth....

---------------------------------------
Zifnab the Zany
http://www.qbc.clic.net/~rrc/andre.html
dra...@qbc.clic.net
---------------------------------------

James Treller

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

In article <4s3ah7$4...@news.canscape.com>, Michael O'Neill <mon...@enterprise.ca> wrote:
>Just a thought...
>If Lord Soth's curse is to live (unlive... whatever) forever (or to be
>more specific to live a lifetime for everylife he destroyed) then how
>could he possibly be destroyed, even by Raistlin? The fact that he said
>"I bow before a Master" could just mean that he bows before the Master of
>past and present. Note how master is capitalized in the book. Soth may
>be refering to the Master of past and present.

Maybe but Raistlin could beat Soth IMHO since he could defeat the Dark Queen
and would have defeated all the gods if Caramon hadn't interfered.

Just a thought

james

Zifnab the Zany

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

>Maybe but Raistlin could beat Soth IMHO since he could defeat the Dark Queen
>and would have defeated all the gods if Caramon hadn't interfered.

Alright, I've decided to join this thread (: I'd think that Raist may
be able to temporarily defeat Soth (should such a battle take place.
I don't think it would/could ever happen), but what would happen?
Soth dies?!? He's dead already. Soth could just keep battling Raist,
stalling for time for even Raist would grow tired, even when he was
his at his peak of magical power. So in the end, my vote would be on
Soth. Ye can't just kill the dead (:

>Just a thought

>james

Kevin Stan

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96
to Zifnab the Zany

You may not be able to kill the dead, but you could banish or relieve the
dead of their obligation...and as Raistlin is such a God like Charicter,
he could very well come up with a way to relieve Soth of his obligation to
live in death. Even if it took a bargen with Hudikle(Sp)(And that's
assuming I got the god right...got of deals..I need to brush up on my
Dragonlance Knowlage if I;m gonna stay in the game here..."
-Reddawg

Lam_Hiu_Sing

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

Zifnab the Zany (dra...@qbc.clic.net) wrote:
: >Maybe but Raistlin could beat Soth IMHO since he could defeat the Dark Queen
: >and would have defeated all the gods if Caramon hadn't interfered.

: Alright, I've decided to join this thread (: I'd think that Raist may
: be able to temporarily defeat Soth (should such a battle take place.
: I don't think it would/could ever happen), but what would happen?
: Soth dies?!? He's dead already. Soth could just keep battling Raist,
: stalling for time for even Raist would grow tired, even when he was
: his at his peak of magical power. So in the end, my vote would be on
: Soth. Ye can't just kill the dead (:

Maybe Raist can turn Soth into an undead frog, and feed it to some kender?

Sing

Hanna R Sinkkonen

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

Well, I quess I have to join this thread too. I would defenately vote for
Raistlin. Maybe you can't kill a Death Knight, because he's already dead,
but I think there are ways to destroy or banish him. IMNSHO Raistlin is a
worthy opponent not to be underestimated. I did it once and paid for my
mistake. You should trust my experience with this matter, 'cause I should
know best.

Dark Queen
* "As I, the maniacal tyrant, look down upon my pathetic subjects *
* I reflect on how their puny lives mean nothing to me except as *
* brute labor necessary to execute my mad designs! My lunatic whims*
* are their laws! HA HA HA!" -Calvin and Hobbes *

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Zifnab the Zany wrote:

> Alright, I've decided to join this thread (: I'd think that Raist may
> be able to temporarily defeat Soth (should such a battle take place.
> I don't think it would/could ever happen), but what would happen?
> Soth dies?!? He's dead already. Soth could just keep battling Raist,
> stalling for time for even Raist would grow tired, even when he was
> his at his peak of magical power. So in the end, my vote would be on
> Soth. Ye can't just kill the dead (:

Thanatos

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

dra...@qbc.clic.net (Zifnab the Zany) wrote:

>Soth. Ye can't just kill the dead (:

Well, in the Legends, it says that the High Clerics of Pre-Cataclysm had certain
holy words that they could use against Death Knights that would destroy them
-----
I'm not afraid of insects taking over the world, and you know why? It would take about a billion ants just to AIM a gun at me, let alone fire it. And you know what I'm doing while they're aiming it at me? I just sort of slip off to the side, and then suddenly run up and kick the gun out of their hands.
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Chris Golchert

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

"You can't kill the dead"....and so on.....

If nothing can be done to the dead why did Dalamar and Raist even bother
to threaten the guardians in the tower? Remember they were affraid of
Raist. I imagine even a death knight can be screwed over. BTW what
happened to Soth in/after DOSF if magic has left...shouldn't he be freed?
or at least go to the new world....maybe allowed to live/die (rest). :)

while I'm on a rant....and everyone is worried about post chaos magic
didn't this happen before in the "past" to the clerics..they survived into
the DOAT

Michael O'Neill

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

I believe I've posted this point before...
Soth's curse is to live a life for every life he has destroyed or caused
the destruction of (and considering how many lost their lives during or
as a result of the cataclysm then one can realize that that is an
extremely long time). It is because of this curse that Soth cannot be
destroyed.
Just one question... how is a death knight formed. Soth's curse just
happens to have him live it out as an extremely powerful being. Are all
death knights formed by a curse that says they musts live forever (pretty
much)?
Also, if Soth could be destroyed then doesn't anybody believe that he
might welcome the chance to rest? I mean he talks about being forced to
relive his life story every night as those accursed banshees tune their
voices. I'm sorry if people disagree with me on this matter but the fact
is that Soth cannot die because that in itself is the reason he now
exists.
Raistlin is all powerful, the best mage ever to live, I'll give him
that, but, his power has its limits. He needs preporation and rest to
weave his spells. As far as I can tell Soth casts his spells without a
hint of fatigue. If he and Rasitlin were to battle it would be quite
interesting to see how long Raistlin's limited (but extensive) power
could hold out against Soth's everlasting strength, wouldn't it? Just a
thought or two.

Patrick
"Never Explain, Never Defend." Lyim Rhistadt

mon...@enterprise.ca

Dwayne Carnachan

Jul 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/21/96

dra...@qbc.clic.net (Zifnab the Zany) wrote:

>Alright, I've decided to join this thread (: I'd think that Raist may
>be able to temporarily defeat Soth (should such a battle take place.
>I don't think it would/could ever happen), but what would happen?
>Soth dies?!? He's dead already. Soth could just keep battling Raist,
>stalling for time for even Raist would grow tired, even when he was
>his at his peak of magical power. So in the end, my vote would be on

>Soth. Ye can't just kill the dead (:

gee i pity the poor clerics of the era then - they must of had it
rough :-)

ben.gi...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2015, 5:47:22 AM3/27/15
Sorry folks but Lord Soth said the exact words of FEARING Raistlin. He knows Raistlin had gotten to the point where he was strong probably to even destroy/remove the curse and kill him that way. Even if that wasn't the case, Soth, as I said, FEARED Raistlin(his words in The Test of the Twins not mine). In the Time of the twins he BOWED to Raistlin and admitted Raistlin was the Master. In the Test of the Twins when talking to his god(The Dark Majesty), he flat out said he FEARED Raistlin. He did say Dalamar was another story.

On Wednesday, July 3, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, eclipse wrote:
> Just thinking back to Legends and esp. the part with Soth contemplating a
> possible battle against Dalamar or Raistlin.
> What do u think would happen if Raistlin and Soth ever came up against each
> other??
>

> eclipse.
>
> --
> "Beautiful souls, be happy, be one.
> Behold, your heaven has now begun."
>
> ecl...@thenet.co.uk

Larris

Apr 11, 2015, 12:04:15 PM4/11/15
On 2015-03-27 09:47:21 +0000, ben.gi...@gmail.com said:

> Sorry folks but Lord Soth said the exact words of FEARING Raistlin. He
> knows Raistlin had gotten to the point where he was strong probably to
> even destroy/remove the curse and kill him that way. Even if that
> wasn't the case, Soth, as I said, FEARED Raistlin(his words in The Test
> of the Twins not mine). In the Time of the twins he BOWED to Raistlin
> and admitted Raistlin was the Master. In the Test of the Twins when
> talking to his god(The Dark Majesty), he flat out said he FEARED
> Raistlin. He did say Dalamar was another story.

Right.

"But I bow in the presence of a master." -Lord Soth to Raistlin Majere

--
Larris

gatchel...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2015, 9:32:27 PM4/11/15
These threads are nearly 20 years old. lol, I can hardly believe I still get updates for them.

rwolf...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 7:40:36 PM8/3/18
Raistlin killed all the gods in the future as well as fistdanilus. He was the only person left. Even with no power the gods ask him for help and feared him. He study ancient forgotten magic, he would destroy Lord Soth, in 2 seconds on a bad day. If soth had anything he would challenge the gods for his curse. He shit himself in the masters presence. Raistlin smiles which him laughing in soths face. He would have killed soth and all his soldier spectators.