How come there aren't any half-dwarves or half-kender?

Holi

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

I was re-reading DoSF when I had this sudden thought.
Why are there no half-dwarves, half-kender or kender-elves and so on?
Why are races so attracted to humans? We don't hear dragons falling in
love with kender, they fall in love with humans and elves! it does not
seem fair. In fact I've never heard of a half-(other-race) in other
books either. In Lord of The Rings there is a half-elven fellow (can't
remember name... lord of Lorien or something) and Aragorn falls in
love with an elf and marries her. No half-gnomes, or half-hobbits.
Why???
Why???
I mean there must have been a human who was raped by a dwarf in one of
those wars betw man and dwarf (think Tanis whose mom was raped by a
human).
Can't somebody give us a half-dragon? (Gil and Sil having children?)

------------------ Ho Lian-Yi (hol...@pacific.net.sg)
The Eternal Lurker
------------------ Singapore was NEVER part of China.

Arn!e

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

I refer you to the
Krynnish Half-Silver, Dragon #207, (I think). But a male demi-human
can't impregnate a female dragon, it would only work th other way around...
Basically a half-silver has all the abilities of it's mother's race, with
an additional +1 to all ability scores. The have a 75% chance of
understanding any spoken language, and typically will have silvery
hair and/or pupils.

As for the half-dwarf, I refer you to the Gully vs. Mul debate, either
way, the result isn't all that appealing. The Half Kender is just
scary, but I do remember a really dumb adventure named "Oak Lords" (hey
it has a cool cover by Brom), that hinted at an elf magess falling in
love with Tas. It never came out and said it though...

Arn!e

Jessica Hillman

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

In <Pine.SOL.3.91.961018...@ux9.cso.uiuc.edu> Arn!e

Because not many people would play one. At least thats MY idea. I mean,
half elves really dont have any particularly special abilities,except
for the halfway use they get of elven abilities.

What would you do with a half kender? Pick up the stuff and then put it
back?

Its just not that playable, nor does it fit in the traditional
character mythos.

And a half gnome is just damn scary :)

Syriana

Jonathan Nusholtz

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

In article <547kvb$s...@newton.pacific.net.sg>, hol...@pacific.net.sg
says...

>I was re-reading DoSF when I had this sudden thought.
>Why are there no half-dwarves, half-kender or kender-elves and so on?
>Why are races so attracted to humans? We don't hear dragons falling in
>love with kender, they fall in love with humans and elves! it does not
>seem fair. In fact I've never heard of a half-(other-race) in other
>books either. In Lord of The Rings there is a half-elven fellow (can't
>remember name... lord of Lorien or something) and Aragorn falls in
>love with an elf and marries her. No half-gnomes, or half-hobbits.
>Why???
>Why???
>I mean there must have been a human who was raped by a dwarf in one of
>those wars betw man and dwarf (think Tanis whose mom was raped by a
>human).
>Can't somebody give us a half-dragon? (Gil and Sil having children?)
>
>------------------ Ho Lian-Yi (hol...@pacific.net.sg)
>The Eternal Lurker
>------------------ Singapore was NEVER part of China.

There was a half-kender named Tarli in the Tales II trilogy, book one. The
story was called "Kender Stew" and it was written by Nick O'Donohoe. I
think that kender-gnome crossbreeds might make sense, but if it were
dwarf-human it wouldn't be through rape. It's usually the humans doing the
raping in wars (Because they're almost always the bad guys...never a huge
army of rampaging dwarves or elves burning the countryside) and they don't
usually think dwarven women are attractive. After all, they have beards.
An elf-kender crossbreed would be interesting and I suppose a dwarf-kender
could work under the right circumstances. Elves and dwarves probably
wouldn't breed together and they might not be fertile with each other.
Jonathan

Laura Smith

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

<Possible Spoiler at bottom>

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Holi wrote:

> I was re-reading DoSF when I had this sudden thought.
> Why are there no half-dwarves, half-kender or kender-elves and so on?
> Why are races so attracted to humans? We don't hear dragons falling in
> love with kender, they fall in love with humans and elves! it does not
> seem fair. In fact I've never heard of a half-(other-race) in other
> books either. In Lord of The Rings there is a half-elven fellow (can't
> remember name... lord of Lorien or something) and Aragorn falls in
> love with an elf and marries her. No half-gnomes, or half-hobbits.
> Why???
> Why???
> I mean there must have been a human who was raped by a dwarf in one of
> those wars betw man and dwarf (think Tanis whose mom was raped by a
> human).
> Can't somebody give us a half-dragon? (Gil and Sil having children?)
>
> ------------------ Ho Lian-Yi (hol...@pacific.net.sg)
> The Eternal Lurker
> ------------------ Singapore was NEVER part of China.

Acutually, I remember reading a story about a half-kender in one of the
books. I think it was one of the Tales but I'm not positive.

* Laura Jones *
* *
* http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~ankhara/ *
* *
* Texas A&M University *
* *
* -I know everything... *
* Just not all at once... *
* and sometimes I have to be reminded... *

David Price

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:48:18 -0500
From: David Price <david...@nashville.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.dragonlance
Subject: Re: How come there aren't any half-dwarves or half-kender?

syri...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> In <Pine.SOL.3.91.961018...@ux9.cso.uiuc.edu> Arn!e
> <car...@students.uiuc.edu> writes:
> >
> >I refer you to the
> >Krynnish Half-Silver, Dragon #207, (I think). But a male demi-human
> >can't impregnate a female dragon, it would only work th other way
> around...
> >Basically a half-silver has all the abilities of it's mother's race,
> with
> >an additional +1 to all ability scores. The have a 75% chance of
> >understanding any spoken language, and typically will have silvery
> >hair and/or pupils.
> >
> >As for the half-dwarf, I refer you to the Gully vs. Mul debate, either
> >way, the result isn't all that appealing. The Half Kender is just
> >scary, but I do remember a really dumb adventure named "Oak Lords"
> (hey
> >it has a cool cover by Brom), that hinted at an elf magess falling in
> >love with Tas. It never came out and said it though...
> >
> > Arn!e
> >

> >> Can't somebody give us a half-dragon? (Gil and Sil having children?)
> >>
> >> ------------------ Ho Lian-Yi (hol...@pacific.net.sg)
> >> The Eternal Lurker
> >> ------------------ Singapore was NEVER part of China.
> >>

> Because not many people would play one. At least thats MY idea. I mean,
> half elves really dont have any particularly special abilities,except
> for the halfway use they get of elven abilities.
>
> What would you do with a half kender? Pick up the stuff and then put it
> back?
>
> Its just not that playable, nor does it fit in the traditional
> character mythos.
>
> And a half gnome is just damn scary :)
>
> Syriana

Actually in of the short stories in the Tales trilogy (can't remember
which one though, there is a half-kender, his mother was a kender and
his father has a Knight of Solamnia. Basically the story was about the
half-kender, trying to become a knight, it was a preety good story.

Also in Tales II (again I can't remember which one, sorry) their is
another story featuring the half-kender.

David

Lee (Wiker) Hambly

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

I would play one, I always liked the half breeds. I do remember a
story in one of the short story collections about a half-kender though.
It was in 'The Cataclysm' book, but I don't remember the name.

Lee (Wiker) Hambly

Zifnab the Zany

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

>Acutually, I remember reading a story about a half-kender in one of the
>books. I think it was one of the Tales but I'm not positive.

Yes..i think yer right..half-human half-kender who tried becoming a
knight in a time where Knight recruits were rare, eh? and the head
knight at teh time like fell in love or something with teh mother,
(who was a kender..) Did i get anything mixed up there?

-
Sir ZiFnab the Zany
dra...@qbc.clic.net
-
Official Alt.Fan.Dragonlance Page at:
http://www.qbc.clic.net/~rrc/afdl/

TSR SteveM

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

Actually...

Depending on who you ask, gully dwarves are the result of unions between
humans and dwarves or gnomes and dwarves.

I guess this would make the Aghar a breed of half-dwarves.

Steve Miller TSRS...@aol.com
DRAGONLANCE & RAVENLOFT Design Teams

MINE, adj. Belonging to me if I can seize and hold it.
--Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Kipper Snifferdoo

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

Zifnab the Zany wrote:
> Yes..i think yer right..half-human half-kender who tried becoming a
> knight in a time where Knight recruits were rare, eh? and the head
> knight at teh time like fell in love or something with teh mother,
> (who was a kender..) Did i get anything mixed up there?

Tsk Tsk Tsk haven't been studying our Kencyclopedia have we. &:)
Tari Half-Kender Human Father - Moran, and Kender Mother - Loraine
Flamehair
Gully Dwarfs are half-dwarf to some people and/or gnome-dwarfs

There are also a couple of people who play characters that are half
breeds:
Aya' Perpugilliam - gnome-kender
Beth Pageturner half kender - other half?

--
"Take it easy! Because if you don't, they might think your trying to
steal it."

Lord Kai

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

Anybody here ever heard of a gully dwarf? If so you ever wonder where
they came from? Human and Dwarf mix. They got the worst parts of both
sides. Just a thought. And yes there is half kenders, half ogres, I
think I even heard of a half minatour but not on Krynn.

--
-Lord Kai
lord...@geocities.com

Samurai

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Lee (Wiker) Hambly wrote:

> I would play one, I always liked the half breeds. I do remember a
> story in one of the short story collections about a half-kender though.
> It was in 'The Cataclysm' book, but I don't remember the name.
>
> Lee (Wiker) Hambly

Yep, I remember him. I can't think of the name either. For all you kender out
there, that half-kender was in fact the creator of the hoopak! Also, there was a
half-kender in the Spelljammer series.

-Samurai

Morten Brattbakk

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Jessica Hillman wrote:

> And a half gnome is just damn scary :)

Especially when the other half is a dwarf, because then we get a gully
dwarf, combining all bad sides of his/her parents, but none of the good
ones.

Morten

Morten Brattbakk

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Arn!e wrote:

> I refer you to the
> Krynnish Half-Silver, Dragon #207, (I think). But a male demi-human
> can't impregnate a female dragon, it would only work th other way around...
> Basically a half-silver has all the abilities of it's mother's race, with
> an additional +1 to all ability scores. The have a 75% chance of
> understanding any spoken language, and typically will have silvery
> hair and/or pupils.

I believe Usha actually is half silver-dragon.

> As for the half-dwarf, I refer you to the Gully vs. Mul debate, either
> way, the result isn't all that appealing.

For the record, in W&H books, Gully Dwarves are results of pairing gnomes
and dwarves, not humans and dwarves. The human/dwarf appeared in "Tales
of the Lance," a work seemingly rushed and crawling with mistakes, the
gully dwarf origin being one of them, IMHO.

Morten

Kipper Snifferdoo

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Samurai wrote:

> Lee (Wiker) Hambly wrote:
> >
> > I would play one, I always liked the half breeds. I do remember a
> > story in one of the short story collections about a half-kender though.

> Yep, I remember him. I can't think of the name either. For all you kender out

> there, that half-kender was in fact the creator of the hoopak!

Um no. &:) He created a hoopak, but he was not THE creator of the
hoopak. They were still around long before Tari was. Oh that was his
name. Tari-half kender.

Also, there was a
> half-kender in the Spelljammer series.

That's right! Her name was Gaeadrelle Goldring. A space fairing
half-Kender.

Kipper Snifferdoo

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Kipper Snifferdoo wrote:

> Um no. &:) He created a hoopak, but he was not THE creator of the
> hoopak. They were still around long before Tari was. Oh that was his
> name. Tari-half kender.

That's Tarli, not Tari!
I have to stop getting up at 6 in the morning.
&:)

Arn!e

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Morten Brattbakk wrote:
> I believe Usha actually is half silver-dragon.

hey, maybe she's Gil and Sivara's daughter! That would be cool!

> For the record, in W&H books, Gully Dwarves are results of pairing gnomes
> and dwarves, not humans and dwarves. The human/dwarf appeared in "Tales
> of the Lance," a work seemingly rushed and crawling with mistakes, the
> gully dwarf origin being one of them, IMHO.

Er, I've already posted that. With the page numbers. And books. To be
honest, I don't care, I play on Taladas. There are no Gully Dwarves.
But ther were alot of mistakes in TotL.
Arn!e

> Morten

Arn!e

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, MATTHEW O'REILLY wrote:
> I don't think Half Dragon humans can occur in the DL world. I think I
> read that in an article in Dragon mag on that boxed set where you can have
> Dragon PCs.

I refute that. Dragon Magazine, issue 206, 207, or 209 (I can never
remember) gives the stats for a Krynnish Half-Silver. They're floating
around this here newsgroup somewhere. Oh, I forgot to add, according to
the rules in the Dragon Mag, a Krynnish Silver that chooses to mate with
his/her human/demi-human lover looses all draconic abilities and becomes,
essentially, a Human, Elf or Half-Elf. The offspring are the only ones
to show any hint of Draconic heratage, although they appear to be a
standard H, E, or 1/2 E, they will have silvery hair and pupils. In game
terms, they have a +1 to all ability roles, and a 75% chance to
understand any spoken language they hear. On Krynn, Bronze Dragons can only
polymorph into small creatures, and neither Bronze nor Gold Dragons like
mortal races enough to want to mate. The Silvers are the only ones
afflicted by this strange sexual taste.

> Also I think it is difficult for Dwarves,Gnomes, kender and dragons to mix
> as these races are so culturally and morrally different.
> If they did
> there offspring would undoubtably be outcasts and live in isolation.
> Hey great idea. There should be a town somewhere in Anaslon where all
> these outcasts could live togethor. A town of mixed race people accepting
> of everybody. Ogres, Minotaurs, Goblins, Draconians, Giants, Centaurs,
> Thanoi, Kender ect. ect. They could all interbreed until they finally
> formed some superior hybrid race then go and conquer the rest of Krynn.

Actually, wouldn't you get Mongrel-Men?

Arn!e

st...@ii.uib.no

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Jubilee Wanderdust wrote:

> Hey.......... how come there aren't any half-gully dwarves?

Because gully-dwarves don't find humans atractive.. duh!! :)

-Stig
Stig Erik Sandoe Institute of Informatics, University of Bergen
st...@ii.uib.no Studies: Compilers, CGI, SGML, Algorithms
http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/ (ENTP, Awful Good, Just Weird)

MATTHEW O'REILLY

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Holi wrote:

> I was re-reading DoSF when I had this sudden thought.
> Why are there no half-dwarves, half-kender or kender-elves and so on?
> Why are races so attracted to humans? We don't hear dragons falling in
> love with kender, they fall in love with humans and elves! it does not
> seem fair. In fact I've never heard of a half-(other-race) in other
> books either. In Lord of The Rings there is a half-elven fellow (can't
> remember name... lord of Lorien or something) and Aragorn falls in
> love with an elf and marries her. No half-gnomes, or half-hobbits.
> Why???
> Why???
> I mean there must have been a human who was raped by a dwarf in one of
> those wars betw man and dwarf (think Tanis whose mom was raped by a
> human).

> Can't somebody give us a half-dragon? (Gil and Sil having children?)
>
> ------------------ Ho Lian-Yi (hol...@pacific.net.sg)
> The Eternal Lurker
> ------------------ Singapore was NEVER part of China.

I don't think Half Dragon humans can occur in the DL world. I think I
read that in an article in Dragon mag on that boxed set where you can have
Dragon PCs.

Jubilee Wanderdust

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Arn!e

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Jubilee Wanderdust wrote:

> Hey.......... how come there aren't any half-gully dwarves?

Now THAT is a stupid question! :)
Arn!e

Per-Karsten Nordhaug

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

In article <54b1k4$f...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, tsrs...@aol.com says...

>Depending on who you ask, gully dwarves are the result of unions between
>humans and dwarves or gnomes and dwarves.
>I guess this would make the Aghar a breed of half-dwarves.

I believe that must be dwarves and gnomes - compare the Mul from Athas...

Per-Karsten
--
...Greets, The Erisian SuperIntendent...
...Per-Karsten Nordhaug - pe...@hedda.uio.no...

Argorn Domecerian

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Jessica Hillman wrote:

> In <54f6ta$7...@queeg.apci.net> fca...@apci.net (Jubilee Wanderdust)

> writes:
> >

> >Hey.......... how come there aren't any half-gully dwarves?
> >

> Umm...i think that speaks for itself
>
> Syriana

Hehe.. that would be like trying to have a Kender Paladin...

Argorn Domecerian <arg...@airmail.net>
http://web2.airmail.net/argorn/ffrpa.htm

"There is something in us that admires those who stand tall and bold in
the bright light of day - even when they pay for this boldness with
there lives."
-Ed Greenwood, "Crown of Fire"

Morten Brattbakk

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Arn!e wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Morten Brattbakk wrote:
> > I believe Usha actually is half silver-dragon.
>
> hey, maybe she's Gil and Sivara's daughter! That would be cool!

Yeah, it would. Only problem is she looks human, not elven.

Morten

Jessica Hillman

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

PaliN

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

hol...@pacific.net.sg (Holi) wrote:

>I was re-reading DoSF when I had this sudden thought.
>Why are there no half-dwarves, half-kender or kender-elves and so on?
>Why are races so attracted to humans? We don't hear dragons falling in
>love with kender, they fall in love with humans and elves! it does not
>seem fair. In fact I've never heard of a half-(other-race) in other
>books either. In Lord of The Rings there is a half-elven fellow (can't
>remember name... lord of Lorien or something) and Aragorn falls in
>love with an elf and marries her. No half-gnomes, or half-hobbits.
>Why???
>Why???
>I mean there must have been a human who was raped by a dwarf in one of
>those wars betw man and dwarf (think Tanis whose mom was raped by a
>human).
>Can't somebody give us a half-dragon? (Gil and Sil having children?)

>------------------ Ho Lian-Yi (hol...@pacific.net.sg)
>The Eternal Lurker
>------------------ Singapore was NEVER part of China.

Actually there is a half-kender named tarli who almost becomes a
Knight of Solamnia in one of the tales trilogies.

PaliN

st...@ii.uib.no

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Argorn Domecerian wrote:

> Hehe.. that would be like trying to have a Kender Paladin...

I allow kender paladins of Fizban in my campaign.. what's wrong with
Kender Paladins?

MATTHEW O'REILLY

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Jubilee Wanderdust wrote:

> Hey.......... how come there aren't any half-gully dwarves?

That question is just to ludicrus to contemplate. Can you imagine UHGH
UGH I don't want to even think about it.

Simon Manton Milne

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Jubilee Wanderdust wrote:

> > Hey.......... how come there aren't any half-gully dwarves?

I'm sure Tas could help in the making of the dl's first halfgully dwarf
then we could kill him Ha.Ha

Jessica Hillman

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

In <199610220...@zetnet.co.uk> Simon Manton Milne

Gee...i think i just FOUND the group's first halfgully dwarf.

Syriana
Staunch defender of kender and general spelling queen :)

Ps....simon, did we forget our prozac today?

Kipper Snifferdoo

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

> Well, that would be the FIRST time I have ever seen a paladin that takes
> everything he sees that is interesting...
>
> Well, in most normal styles... kender paladins wouldn't exist.. due to
> the law of the paladins that has in it that stealing is not allowed...
> and I am QUITE sure that would apply to "handling." Hmm... TSR, you have
> any opinion on this one??

I'm QUITE sure that you are wrong. "handling" is NOT stealing. -Most-
kender do not steal, plain and simple. They do not intentinally take
things. Their curiosity compels them to pick up things, they simply do
not think to ask before they take something. It's just the way they
were raised. This would not break any laws of a paladin in the kender's
eyes. I believe that the "laws" you talking about, pertain to all
paladins, but I think that the laws are personal and not laws that
society has placed on them. They atone for things when they break a
personal code by which they live. I think a kender Paladin is very
acceptable. &:)

DarkAvngr1

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

> Well, in most normal styles... kender paladins wouldn't exist.. due to
> the law of the paladins that has in it that stealing is not allowed...
> and I am QUITE sure that would apply to "handling." Hmm... TSR, you
have any opinion on this one??

Who said anything has to be normal? ;-> Nobody says you couldn't have a
kender who doesn't handle everything. (It may be unusual, but not
completely impossible...) Now this would make a very interesting character
if role-played properly. (Good luck trying...)

--The Dark Avenger
Semper ubi, sub ubi

Lee (Wiker) Hambly

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

DarkAvngr1 wrote:

> Who said anything has to be normal? ;-> Nobody says you couldn't have a
> kender who doesn't handle everything. (It may be unusual, but not
> completely impossible...) Now this would make a very interesting character
> if role-played properly. (Good luck trying...)

I think that kind of character would create an often bored kender.
That can be very ver bad, but interesting to play with.

Lee (Wiker) Hambly

Argorn Domecerian

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

st...@ii.uib.no wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Argorn Domecerian wrote:
>
> > Hehe.. that would be like trying to have a Kender Paladin...
>
> I allow kender paladins of Fizban in my campaign.. what's wrong with
> Kender Paladins?
>
> -Stig

Well, that would be the FIRST time I have ever seen a paladin that takes

everything he sees that is interesting...

Well, in most normal styles... kender paladins wouldn't exist.. due to

the law of the paladins that has in it that stealing is not allowed...
and I am QUITE sure that would apply to "handling." Hmm... TSR, you have
any opinion on this one??

Lee (Wiker) Hambly

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

st...@ii.uib.no wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Jubilee Wanderdust wrote:
>
> > Hey.......... how come there aren't any half-gully dwarves?
>
> Because gully-dwarves don't find humans atractive.. duh!! :)

I think it was more of a union contract. Back when the dwarvin race
was first created, they met with a representative of the humans and
discused the possibility of a gully dwarf (Of which they had noticed a
couple the showed up every now and then), in agreement to keep this
"Virus" from spreading the two parties signed an agreement that said no
human will mate with a gully dwarf incase this is the cause of the
problem. The contract is upheld to this day, but the dwarves still
suspect the humans for the problem when they should be looking at the
gnomes. =)

Lee (Wiker) Hambly

st...@ii.uib.no

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Argorn Domecerian wrote:

> > > Hehe.. that would be like trying to have a Kender Paladin...
> >
> > I allow kender paladins of Fizban in my campaign.. what's wrong with
> > Kender Paladins?
>

> Well, that would be the FIRST time I have ever seen a paladin that takes
> everything he sees that is interesting...

takes?? you're insulting every kender now..

> Well, in most normal styles... kender paladins wouldn't exist.. due to
> the law of the paladins that has in it that stealing is not allowed...
> and I am QUITE sure that would apply to "handling." Hmm... TSR, you have
> any opinion on this one??

Well, A paladin is a holy warrior of _A_ God in my campaign, that means
that any God may have paladins. The Kender Paladins I allow are dedicated
and has sworn loyalty to Fizban and somehow they get the powers that other
paladins have, maybe because Fizban (if it is him who give the powers)
sees it from an individual. If one is to follow the PH rules, an islamic
female paladin won't be a paladin anymore if she removes her veil and a
christian female paladin cannot speak in public because it is a lawless
act according to the Bible. In my campaigns gods 1) exist 2) think,
unlike this world's religions.

Kender Paladins and Kender Priests are extremely interesting to play and
my favourite character is a Kender Priest, why disallow it? :)

Andrew Christopher Lacek

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

David Price wrote:

> Actually in of the short stories in the Tales trilogy (can't remember
> which one though, there is a half-kender, his mother was a kender and
> his father has a Knight of Solamnia. Basically the story was about the
> half-kender, trying to become a knight, it was a preety good story.
>
> Also in Tales II (again I can't remember which one, sorry) their is
> another story featuring the half-kender.
>
> David
You're right - the first example ( with the solamnic Knight ) was in the
book with Tales about Istar. I can't remember the actual name of book or
tale, but it was definitely there.
--
Blenda

TSR SteveM

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Blenda wrote:

> You're right - the first example ( with the solamnic Knight ) was in
> the book with Tales about Istar. I can't remember the actual name of
> book or tale, but it was definitely there.

The book was "Reign of Istar" and the short story was "Kender Stew." IMO,
one of the best DL short stories out there...

Steve Miller TSRS...@aol.com
DRAGONLANCE & RAVENLOFT Design Teams

MINE, adj. Belonging to me if I can seize and hold it.
--Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Sean Morrow

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Lord Kai wrote:

> Anybody here ever heard of a gully dwarf? Human and Dwarf mix.
> They got the worst parts of both sides.

Dwarf/Gnome mix, isn't it?

Tuber

Question to ponder:
When a mute boy curses, does his mom make him wash his hands
with soap?

Sue Bogar

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

> > I allow kender paladins of Fizban in my campaign.. what's wrong with
> > Kender Paladins?
> >

> > -Stig

> Well, that would be the FIRST time I have ever seen a paladin that takes
> everything he sees that is interesting...

I'd let them be paladins.. it's just that a kender's idea of lawful isn't
exactly the same as everyone else's. But due to Fizban's nature, i think
he understands.. he's not exactly like the average god-yet-vengeful god
who'd take away one's paladinly powers for stuff like that.. he'd probably
just try and make sure the owner got it back ifit was important enoguh..

--shimmerwings

st...@ii.uib.no

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Morten Brattbakk wrote:

> st...@ii.uib.no wrote:
>
> > Well, A paladin is a holy warrior of _A_ God in my campaign, that means
> > that any God may have paladins. The Kender Paladins I allow are dedicated
> > and has sworn loyalty to Fizban and somehow they get the powers that other
> > paladins have, maybe because Fizban (if it is him who give the powers)
> > sees it from an individual.
>

> By allowing kender paladins, you are redefining the word paladine, at
> least as it is defined in the AD&D rules. Kender may be good as hell, but
> we're still anarchists and have little (if any) sense of law and order.
> So paladines in the traditional sense of the word thay can't be.

Well.. being a half-anarchist I have no problems seeing the law and order
in a kender society. And you as a norwegian know the prime law of the all,
kardemommeloven, and kenders are defending it every day. AND kenders are
may believe in some law and order, they are not all standard ones, and
paladins are the truly special in my campaigns.. so? :)

(and it gives me a pleasure to redefine PH ;)

Morten Brattbakk

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

st...@ii.uib.no wrote:

> Well, A paladin is a holy warrior of _A_ God in my campaign, that means
> that any God may have paladins. The Kender Paladins I allow are dedicated
> and has sworn loyalty to Fizban and somehow they get the powers that other
> paladins have, maybe because Fizban (if it is him who give the powers)
> sees it from an individual.

By allowing kender paladins, you are redefining the word paladine, at
least as it is defined in the AD&D rules. Kender may be good as hell, but
we're still anarchists and have little (if any) sense of law and order.
So paladines in the traditional sense of the word thay can't be.

Morten

Margaret Weis

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

In article <Pine.OSF.3.93.961021...@sparrow.qut.edu.au>,
MATTHEW O'REILLY <n157...@sparrow.qut.edu.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Holi wrote:
>
> > I was re-reading DoSF when I had this sudden thought.
> > Why are there no half-dwarves, half-kender or kender-elves and so on?

Nick O'Donohoe has a story in one of the anthologies about a half-kender
who wants to become a Solamnic knight. It was a great story.

Margaret

J Steffens

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

>Kender Paladins and Kender Priests are extremely interesting to play and
>my favourite character is a Kender Priest, why disallow it? :)

The last time I ran a DL campaign, one of the most interesting
characters in that campaign was a Kender Priest of Habakuk.
He adapted very well to the world and the deity. He of course was
converted to that class from a Fighter/Handler. In my games ...
Habakuk's Priests/Druids had a restricted shapechange ability, which
is to the utter delight of a kender mind.

Now, not to get off the subject to much. A Kender Paladin ... I think
that is pushing it. If a Kender became a Paladin, it would be an
exceptional accident. For, the Kender would not be acting very
Kenderlike to become a Palidin. The class itself would have to be
modified so much, it would not be recognizable. There was a tale of a
Half-Kender becoming a Solamnic Knight, and that was because he was
not full Kender. Good story though, "Kender Stew" by Nick O'Donohoe
in Tales II vol. 1.

Keep Dreaming,
The Lynx slinks out ... ;-)

Matthew Cardle

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

Kender paladins..don't go giving me ideas : )

Matthew Cardle

Kipper Snifferdoo

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

st...@ii.uib.no said something like:

>And you as a norwegian know the prime law of the all,
> kardemommeloven, and kenders are defending it every day.

Kardem omme loven?
Kemdar omme loven?
Kendar imme lovin?
imme Kendar lovin?
Imm Kendar lovin?
I'm kender loving?
Why yes I am. &:)

Uhh Stig I'm not norwegian. What does that mean?

Arn!e

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Kipper Snifferdoo wrote:
> Kardem omme loven?
> Kemdar omme loven?
> Kendar imme lovin?
> imme Kendar lovin?

I've got it, he means:
"Gimme some Kender lovin' !!!"
Arn!e

st...@ii.uib.no

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Kipper Snifferdoo wrote:

> st...@ii.uib.no said something like:
> >
> >And you as a norwegian know the prime law of the all,
> > kardemommeloven, and kenders are defending it every day.
>

> Kardem omme loven?
> Kemdar omme loven?
> Kendar imme lovin?
> imme Kendar lovin?

> Imm Kendar lovin?
> I'm kender loving?
> Why yes I am. &:)
>
> Uhh Stig I'm not norwegian. What does that mean?

My translation is: "You should be kind and gentle, and otherwise you can
do as you please" :)

st...@ii.uib.no

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 st...@ii.uib.no wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Kipper Snifferdoo wrote:
>
> > st...@ii.uib.no said something like:
> > >
> > >And you as a norwegian know the prime law of the all,
> > > kardemommeloven, and kenders are defending it every day.
> >
> > Kardem omme loven?
> > Kemdar omme loven?
> > Kendar imme lovin?
> > imme Kendar lovin?
> > Imm Kendar lovin?
> > I'm kender loving?
> > Why yes I am. &:)
> >
> > Uhh Stig I'm not norwegian. What does that mean?
>
> My translation is: "You should be kind and gentle, and otherwise you can
> do as you please" :)

Uhh.. answering my own articles is bad...
it should be
"You should not hassle others, but be kind and gentle, and otherwise you
can do as you please" :) (it is in rhyme and stuff)

Morten Brattbakk

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

Kipper Snifferdoo wrote:

> st...@ii.uib.no said something like:
> >
> >And you as a norwegian know the prime law of the all,
> > kardemommeloven, and kenders are defending it every day.
>
> Kardem omme loven?
> Kemdar omme loven?
> Kendar imme lovin?
> imme Kendar lovin?
> Imm Kendar lovin?
> I'm kender loving?
> Why yes I am. &:)
>
> Uhh Stig I'm not norwegian. What does that mean?

Uh, it's the only law a town in a children's book has. It's on verse, and
difficult to translate, but it goes something like this: You should not
trouble anyone else, but be nice and kind. Apart from that you can do
what you want.

Morten

Arn!e

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Morten Brattbakk wrote:

> Uh, it's the only law a town in a children's book has. It's on verse, and
> difficult to translate, but it goes something like this: You should not
> trouble anyone else, but be nice and kind. Apart from that you can do
> what you want.

I still like "Gimme some Kender lovin'!" Actually, that's a very
Kenderish ststement...hmmmm where's this town? Hylo?
Arn!e

Lasse Högman

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

Tuber:

> > Anybody here ever heard of a gully dwarf? Human and Dwarf mix.
> > They got the worst parts of both sides.
>
> Dwarf/Gnome mix, isn't it?

Pervert! :)

> Question to ponder:
> When a mute boy curses, does his mom make him wash his hands
> with soap?

Only if he's caught red-handed...

Refsay, Gnome Reciter

* * * The Lower Levels of Mount Nevermind * * *
has new address: Http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-18946/
* * * Now even closer to perfekt! * * *

Zifnab the Zany

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

Morten Brattbakk <stud...@student.uib.no> said this earlier...:

>By allowing kender paladins, you are redefining the word paladine, at
>least as it is defined in the AD&D rules. Kender may be good as hell, but
> we're still anarchists and have little (if any) sense of law and order.
>So paladines in the traditional sense of the word thay can't be.
>
>Morten

If ye've followed this newsgroup for a little while, ye'd see there
are a few people who scorn the ways of the AD&D rulebook..myself
included...now the Fifth Age rulebook is different..i finished reading
that and I'm impressed..a truly good RPing system.(:

-
Sir ZiFnab the Zany
dra...@qbc.clic.net
-
Official Alt.Fan.Dragonlance Page at:
http://www.qbc.clic.net/~rrc/afdl/

ta...@probe.net

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

>In article <Pine.OSF.3.93.961021...@sparrow.qut.edu.au>,
>MATTHEW O'REILLY <n157...@sparrow.qut.edu.au> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Holi wrote:
>>
>> I was re-reading DoSF when I had this sudden thought.
>> Why are there no half-dwarves, half-kender or kender-elves and so >>on?

Hey my Grand mother was a half-kender & im a 1/2 elf, 3/8 human, 1/8
Kender

Tanil

Sue Bogar

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

> Nick O'Donohoe has a story in one of the anthologies about a half-kender
> who wants to become a Solamnic knight. It was a great story.

half-KENDER? <shudders> well, i suppose there's half-orcs, so... <erghk>
sounds like an interesting story, though, i'll look for it =)

--shim

Sue Bogar

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

> > > kardemommeloven, and kenders are defending it every day.

> Uh, it's the only law a town in a children's book has. It's on verse, and

> difficult to translate, but it goes something like this: You should not
> trouble anyone else, but be nice and kind. Apart from that you can do
> what you want.

sounds like the Wicca Rede to me..

> Morten

--shim (oh dear.. Wiccan Kenders.. i don't think i like the idea of
kenders doing magick here...)

Michael Sims

Oct 27, 1996, 2:00:00 AM10/27/96

I'm Wiccan and have played a kender, but the thought of a Wiccan Kender
is a bit scary. Just imagine a little topknot bouncing about asking the
Goddess how she keeps moonglow about her all the time...

Mike Sims

Sue Bogar

Oct 27, 1996, 2:00:00 AM10/27/96

> > --shim (oh dear.. Wiccan Kenders.. i don't think i like the idea of
> > kenders doing magick here...)
>
> I'm Wiccan and have played a kender, but the thought of a Wiccan Kender
> is a bit scary. Just imagine a little topknot bouncing about asking the
> Goddess how she keeps moonglow about her all the time...

heh.. same here.. kender are fun, but i think the very idea might be a big
part of why we don't prostely.. pros.. er, act like Jehovah's witnesses,
yeah...

--shimmerwings, with a big vocabulary and hideous spelling =P

Morten Brattbakk

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

Lasse Högman wrote:
> > Question to ponder:
> > When a mute boy curses, does his mom make him wash his hands
> > with soap?
>
> Only if he's caught red-handed...

Another question to ponder: If a mute girl masturbates, does she use only
one hand so that she can moan with the other one?

Morten

Matthew Cardle

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

Lasse Högman wrote:

> Tuber:
>
> > > Anybody here ever heard of a gully dwarf? Human and Dwarf mix.
> > > They got the worst parts of both sides.
> >
> > Dwarf/Gnome mix, isn't it?
>
> Pervert! :)
>
> > Question to ponder:
> > When a mute boy curses, does his mom make him wash his hands
> > with soap?
>
> Only if he's caught red-handed...
>
> Refsay, Gnome Reciter
>
> * * * The Lower Levels of Mount Nevermind * * *
> has new address: Http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-18946/
> * * * Now even closer to perfekt! * * *

Hmm this is worrying :) You all scare me :)

Matthew

Naltia

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Morten Brattbakk <stud...@student.uib.no> wrote:

>Lasse Högman wrote:
>> > Question to ponder:
>> > When a mute boy curses, does his mom make him wash his hands
>> > with soap?
>>
>> Only if he's caught red-handed...

<snipped disgusting comment by Morten>

Now I know this newsgroup is going to the pits. :P

>Morten

Naltia Mitas

"Those that are lower than
you are higher than you."

The Kender with Multiple Personality Syndrome

Morten Brattbakk

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Naltia wrote:
> <snipped disgusting comment by Morten>
>
> Now I know this newsgroup is going to the pits. :P
>
> >Morten
>
> Naltia Mitas

Hey, if true, it's been going to the pits for a long time. My comment was
not the first (or most) perverse on A.F.D. :)

Morten

Nikki Ticklestone

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Sue wrote:

> half-KENDER? <shudders> well, i suppose there's half-orcs, so... <erghk>

The funny part is that the father didn't even know that the woman
he...made love to was a kender. <giggles> Don't know how that could happen
because everyone knows kender women are better lovers than humans. He
should have known in an instant.

Nikki

tsrs...@aol.com

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

Nikki wrote:

> The funny part is that the father didn't even know that the woman
> he...made love to was a kender. <giggles> Don't know how that could
> happen because everyone knows kender women are better lovers than
> humans. He should have known in an instant.

Have you see "Excalibur"?

If all knights keep their armour on like that, it could explain a thing or
two.

Steve Miller TSRS...@aol.com
DRAGONLANCE & RAVENLOFT Design Teams

OBSTINATE, adj. Inaccessible to the truth as it is manifest in the splendor and stress of our advocacy.
--Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Morten Brattbakk

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

On 6 Nov 1996 tsrs...@aol.com wrote:

> Nikki wrote:
>
> > The funny part is that the father didn't even know that the woman
> > he...made love to was a kender. <giggles> Don't know how that could
> > happen because everyone knows kender women are better lovers than
> > humans. He should have known in an instant.
>
> Have you see "Excalibur"?
>
> If all knights keep their armour on like that, it could explain a thing or
> two.

What I loved about "Excalibur" was the incredibly-looking helmet Merlin
wore. Every mage should have one just like it :)

Morten