A NOTE OF THANKS - BUT NO THANKS!

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Feb 19, 2024, 8:16:51 PMFeb 19

I would personally like to thank Facebook, Twitter,
and other "social" media platforms for contributing to the end of Google Groups'
partnership with and carrier of UseNet Newsgroups content.

Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, et al, you have definitively lowered the bar of internet
discourse, and provided channels for the dissemination of anonymous hate speech,
and conspiratorial falsehoods online.

Sadly, many members and participants in Usenet and it's distributors, along with
participants in moderated subject forums, have gone the low road by abandoning
those legitimate channels of intelligent discourse, instead choosing to take their
interests into the commercial and political cesspool of "social" media.

In their place, much like the weeds coming up through cracks in the pavement of abandoned roads, are the spammers, the bots, the hockers of illegitimate product.

I highly encourage those who care about civilized internet to see other
means of continuing their Usenet discourse, including apps devoted to providing access to Usenet Groups.

Pastor Mac

Feb 21, 2024, 7:22:35 PMFeb 21
If it means anything, I just downloaded the Unison client for my Mac.
I'm also using eternal-september.org as a server. It's strictly a text
based server so there's no binaries or other nefarious filesharing
cruft hanging in the background.

Yes, it's a new world. Reddit seems the closest to old Usenet but it's
not the same.
--
Pax,

Pastor Mac

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Feb 21, 2024, 7:37:54 PMFeb 21
Before time runs out, is there a Usenet app you could recommend for
iOS and Android?

Pastor Mac

Feb 21, 2024, 7:50:46 PMFeb 21
Check the App Store for iOS. Google Play for Android. I see on a
surface glance NewsTap Lite for iOS.
--
Pax,

Pastor Mac

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Feb 22, 2024, 5:58:15 AMFeb 22
Thank you!

And hope to be corresponding on Usenet via one of the above