Bernie has prostate cancer

martinjsxx

Dec 25, 2021, 4:15:28 PM12/25/21
For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.

Fr Mac McDonald

Dec 26, 2021, 5:33:16 PM12/26/21
On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.

I don't get why he would avoid getting screened in the first place.

Pax,
Pastor Mac

Frank

Dec 27, 2021, 7:39:31 AM12/27/21
On 12/25/2021 4:15 PM, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.

Did not hear he was on hormone therapy which I thought was late in the
game. I think after it has spread. They probably were watching his PSA
which is not always reliable. My BIL has a high PSA and was biopsied
negative twice.

martinjsxx

Dec 29, 2021, 6:25:03 AM12/29/21
On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.

Update 12/29/21:
Russ Salzberg with Curtis Sliwa said he spoke with Bernie at the hospital and he sounded ok. But the fact that he’s at the hospital is not a good sign considering he didn’t have surgery. They said he probably didn’t get tested early and waited to finally see a doctor. He is still scheduled to return Monday but I think that might be in doubt.

Frank

Dec 29, 2021, 10:01:36 AM12/29/21
Hospitalization is not a good sign if cancer although I have had friends
hospitalized with BPH or prostate infection.

Guy I knew that had prostate cancer surgery went on hormone therapy for
metastatic bone cancer but he was in good shape running on a treadmill.

Mac JT

Dec 29, 2021, 11:55:10 AM12/29/21
When Bernie did get back he said he had aggressive prostate cancer. That means it probably spread to a few organs.
Also during his biopsy something disastrous happened like they damaged the rectal passage used to conduct the tests.
I'm not sure if that was due to the Dr's incompetence or because the cancer was so pervasive.

Most likely he has Stage 4, his best hope is it hasn't spread to any lymph nodes or his bones.
But if Russ said he's back in hospital it probably doesn't bode well for him.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/prostate-cancer/prostate-cancer-stages

Poor guy, hope he gets better.

In regards to why he didn't get screened earlier, its an tough guy mentality. "Nah I'm OK, I goto the gym and lift weights, doubt anything is wrong inside."

Dean Hoffman

Dec 29, 2021, 1:06:29 PM12/29/21
Or just the Roundtoit Syndrome. I was going to see the dentist someday. That lasted maybe four decades
until one day I had a tooth hurting. Then I went to see the dentist. There are projects around the house that I haven't
gotten roundto. There's always another day. I'm retired so I probably have enough time.

Frank

Dec 30, 2021, 7:43:58 AM12/30/21
The guy I mentioned with metastatic bone cancer had been bragging to me
that he did not see doctors although he did need to have his prostate
removed. I guess he put it off until his prostate acted up like
Bernie's and that caused spread to bones. At that point prognosis in bad.

martinjsxx

Dec 31, 2021, 1:54:57 PM12/31/21
Sid opened his last show of the year (12/21/21) talking about Bernie who was out for the day. Sid said Bernie sounded like death after getting the shots, one of which caused problems. Sid also said the biopsy “destroyed” Bernie’s rectum. This morning they said Bernie & Sid would return on Monday. I hope so but the guy sounds really sick. The show is streamed on YouTube and Sid talks about Bernie at the beginning of this link from 12/21/21:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-W9LhvGFFA

Chris K-Man

Jan 4, 2022, 1:39:34 PM1/4/22
On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.
________

I listened to Bernie in WABC this morning. No audible hint of what he was going through two weeks ago.

Was today a re-rack of an earlier show? WABC always was so
diligent in letting us know - HA!

martinjsxx

Jan 11, 2022, 1:17:26 PM1/11/22
Bernie was back last week. He worked yesterday (Monday) but left early and I didn’t hear if he was scheduled to leave early or not. Today Bernie was out and Sid said Bernie would also be out tomorrow and maybe the rest of the week and he sounded somber about Bernie’s condition.

martinjsxx

Jan 12, 2022, 9:43:26 AM1/12/22
Update 1/12/22: Sid said today that Bernie has been at Sloan Kettering Hospital for the last two days undergoing more tests. His cancer must be pretty bad considering Bernie has been having tests since December. Later in today’s show Sid gave more details about Bernie’s cancer and said it had spread to his bones and liver. I would be surprised if Bernie comes back anytime soon especially since he does the show from the Manhattan studio and not his home like many hosts do. Sid said he would know more about Bernie later today.

Frank

Jan 12, 2022, 10:31:38 AM1/12/22
That is not good news but lets hope for the best. Thought I heard
earlier that Bernie might be back tomorrow.

Pat A

Jan 12, 2022, 1:13:05 PM1/12/22
I would not send a DOG to Sloan Kettering!!! My cousin had breast cancer that was being treated there, and for 5 years she was cancer free according to SK...three days later she was told it was terminal and a week later dead. Cancer "free" my ass. I'm sorry Bernie could have chosen better and is now suffering so.

Mac JT

Jan 12, 2022, 9:50:55 PM1/12/22
Not sure about SK but if it's cancer then the best place to go in the whole world is MD Andersen in Houston. If you can be saved you will be saved.
They have bleeding edge cancer detection and treatment technologies.

Pat A

Jan 13, 2022, 3:52:21 AM1/13/22
On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 9:50:55 PM UTC-5, macjo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Not sure about SK but if it's cancer then the best place to go in the whole world is MD Andersen in Houston. If you can be saved you will be saved.
> They have bleeding edge cancer detection and treatment technologies.
Agree...when I was working in Health Insurance, I heard from many a caller how good they are.

martinjsxx

Jan 13, 2022, 12:16:12 PM1/13/22
Bernie was out again today (Thursday) because he was still undergoing tests at Sloan Kettering. Toward the end of this morning’s show Sid said he got a text that Bernie was about to leave the hospital and said Bernie might be in tomorrow but I doubt it.

Mac JT

Jan 15, 2022, 10:19:51 AM1/15/22

They have also stopped the live Youtube feed.
I think it has something to do with it.

Frank

Jan 15, 2022, 12:23:53 PM1/15/22
On 1/15/2022 10:19 AM, Mac JT wrote:

> They have also stopped the live Youtube feed.
> I think it has something to do with it.

Heard that. I just listen and don't watch. No Bernie Friday.
Being familiar with a couple of women with cancer issues and other
stories I have heard, I have never heard of such a rush with the
problem. We recall that Imus took years with his.

martinjsxx

Jan 17, 2022, 6:31:18 PM1/17/22
On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 10:19:51 AM UTC-5, macjo...@gmail.com wrote:
> They have also stopped the live Youtube feed.
> I think it has something to do with it.

One of the voices on WABC radio had said their Youtube channel got a 'strike' for something they posted which restricted their ability to post new content. I don’t remember if it was one of the hosts or a producer or some other person who said it. They have a lot of people from the station that they often talk to on the air. I only heard them say it once and since then they just say they are working on it and the feed can be seen on Facebook.

Bernie was out again today (1/17/22) despite them previously saying he would work today. They said Bernie will definitely be in the studio tomorrow, but I have to think that might be subject to change.

Frank

Jan 18, 2022, 7:45:40 AM1/18/22
I tuned in before 7 am and see he is back sounding weak. I flipped on
the video and he looked pale and was wearing a knit head cover. Now
just tuning in again, 7:45, cap is off and he looks and sounds better.

Mac JT

Jan 18, 2022, 12:39:51 PM1/18/22
Last week with Sen Lieberman Sid mentioned the extent of Bernie's cancer.
It is in his bones, organs and heavily metastasized.

At this point without surgery / chemo i don't know how they can control it. Bernie is taking tablets.
Incidentally Imus also had prostrate cancer but it didnt seem to affect him too much, they probably detected it sooner in his case.

The live feed is on Facebook now.
https://wabcradio.com/wabc-radio-tv/

Frank

Jan 18, 2022, 1:28:25 PM1/18/22
I had heard that was said but got no confirmation. I know that all
cancers are different and Imus had a slow form of prostate cancer and
Bernie's must be aggressive. I suspect he skipped exams and PSA.
The guy I mentioned that had metastatic prostate bone cancer had bragged
to me a year or so before it developed that he kept away from doctors
but did need prostate removed. He waited too long too. Quick google
says 5 year survival rate is 33%.

martinjsxx

Jan 18, 2022, 6:45:22 PM1/18/22
Sid said Bernie was going back to the hospital after today’s show for more tests. I guess all situations are different but I’ve never heard of someone getting tests for cancer more or less continuously for over a month. They must be looking beyond the prostate for where the cancer has spread. Usually they schedule surgery quickly or start chemo or radiation after diagnosing cancer if it’s treatable. Maybe he is getting treatment but hasn’t said so and is calling it “tests”. At this point I’m surprised Bernie hasn’t taken a leave of absence and come back when he’s better.

Frank

Jan 19, 2022, 8:43:15 AM1/19/22
Sid gave a summary at 8 am saying he was not sure of the extent of the
cancer or if it had metastasized but Bernie got chemo yesterday and
should be back tomorrow.

Best I know is that chemo is often given as a precaution when an
aggressive cancer is discovered even though there is no sign of spread.

martinjsxx

Jan 19, 2022, 4:26:51 PM1/19/22
Sid also said Bernie was so sick on Monday that he had trouble standing up and sitting down. I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s inevitable he will be taking a leave of absence soon. Even for someone with cancer he sounds really sick.

Frank

Jan 19, 2022, 6:53:25 PM1/19/22
We don't know his treatments but chemo can be very rough and you lose
weight and hair.

martinjsxx

Jan 20, 2022, 9:45:23 AM1/20/22
He hadn’t yet started chemo on Monday, assuming what was said on air is true. Bernie was out again today (Friday) but Sid assured the audience he will be back on Monday. I don’t know what purpose is served by frequently saying he will return on a particular day when there is so much uncertainty and most times he was not able to work. He should take as much time off as he needs and forget about the show for now. His focus should be on his life which I fear is in jeopardy.

Frank

Jan 20, 2022, 9:54:13 AM1/20/22
He has had his first chemo and it knocked him out but said it worked on
cancer. Think Sid said it would be once a month. I am not sure what he
should do but recall Limbaugh did not want to be defined by his cancer
and continued his show up until the end. Bernie is at an age where most
retire and should be financially secure. His commute to the show must
be tough unlike Limbaugh that had his own studio close to home. He is
part of a team while Limbaugh was the whole show. So, maybe he should
just retire and enjoy the time he has left.

Chris K-Man

Jan 20, 2022, 4:25:18 PM1/20/22
__________

Today is Thursday.

Yes, technology can bring the show to wherever McGuirk is, vs schlepping to a studio. While I disagree with some of his views, my prayers are with the "Cardinal"(!) for at least a remission.

Chris K-Man

Jan 24, 2022, 7:18:36 AM1/24/22
On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.
_______
Bernard soloing this morning. Guess they are taking turns for some reason.

He sounds 'mostly' like the Bernie I remember

Frank

Jan 29, 2022, 10:11:43 AM1/29/22
Bernie out Friday and Sid left to go to police funeral and Curtis Sliwa
took over. He said Bernie is being treated for stage 4 prostate cancer
which I read normally is incurable but can be managed with a 33% chance
of making it to 5 years.

Curtis also gave a very vivid account at what a prick Imus was fighting
hard not be be succeeded by Bernie with Sid.

Chris K-Man

Feb 14, 2022, 8:42:43 AM2/14/22
On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.
______
Now listening to the pair on 770 AM. Bernard talking about hanging out in the 1990s. He just sounds a tad weak, but normal Bernie-banter.

I suspect he might be doing his part from home, as most on-airs are doing nowadays. Sid probably in studio.

martinjsxx

Feb 15, 2022, 6:21:46 AM2/15/22
Bernie was out most of last week supposedly for treatment and returned yesterday. Sid said today he was now told Bernie is out for the rest of this week for treatment and last week he was out for more tests, not treatment. Not that it matters we know the exact reason for his absences but it can’t be good news that even Sid didn’t know what’s going on with Bernie.

Bernie’s voice has started getting weak again after being strong after his return from the first round of treatment. He has been working from home for several weeks now.

Frank

Feb 15, 2022, 8:30:56 AM2/15/22
Dropping in on video occasionally, all I see is Sid. Later he said that
Bernie had been in for more tests, not chemo, but chemo would be given
this week and Bernie will be out for the rest of the week.

martinjsxx

Aug 22, 2022, 6:13:21 AM8/22/22
Update 8/22/23:

Bernie was out last week after Monday due to pain and today Sid said Bernie’s appendix burst last Thursday and he had surgery and will be out this week. Sid said he really doesn’t know much more about his condition or where the cancer spread to.

Frank

Aug 22, 2022, 11:48:53 AM8/22/22
I heard that this am. I have been hoping he will pull through OK.

Mac JT

Aug 22, 2022, 8:09:55 PM8/22/22
I heard that as well and it doesn't look good.
Sid also mentioned that during a show last week he revealed that the cancer has spread to other parts of his body.
If the cancer is in his liver then its really difficult to survive, and on top of that now a ruptured appendix.

I think he should draw the curtains on his radio career and spend any time he has left on recovery and with his family.
His daughter is not married but his son is, they are the important ones now.

Frank

Aug 23, 2022, 10:47:39 AM8/23/22
Tough decision. I have a cousin that survived liver cancer over ten
years ago and know a daughter of a neighbor survived a glioblastoma also
over 10 years ago. We all hope he makes it but it does not look good.

martinjsxx

Aug 25, 2022, 9:04:44 AM8/25/22
Sid is still saying Bernie is expected back on Monday but I would be really surprised if he came back so soon after emergency surgery not even considering his cancer. Bernie took most of last week off for pain, maybe that was because he was getting appendicitis. Perhaps it was caused his cancer or his treatments. I never heard that before but it seems like it would be really bad luck to have that just randomly happen in addition to cancer.

Bernie must have had prostate cancer for years. He said he had symptoms for awhile before he got it checked out and prostate cancer is said to advance very slowly. He had some relatives die young of cancer including his sister and I think his mother so maybe cancer runs in his family. He looked sickly to me for years going back to when Imus was still doing his show. He looked extremely pale and skinny and much older than his years.

I think he should take an indefinite leave of absence and come back if his treatments end or if not then retire. From a listener perspective it is bad radio to expect a host to be on the air and then tune in to hear he is off today but expected back tomorrow or next week and that doesn’t happen. That’s what Rush Limbaugh did for months with unexpected absences. I’d tune in and hear the dreaded intro “He’s a former Fortune 500 executive…Ken Matthews” or whatever his name was. Sid is still a strong host but he needs another voice besides the 25 year old guys working in the studio who act like college students. I am not a big fan of Andrew Giuliani as a co-host. I find him annoying and a bit phony. He acts like he has accomplished a lot when his first real job was a patronage job from Trump as a favor to Rudy. I don’t know who else may be considered as co-host though.

Mac JT

Aug 25, 2022, 2:41:35 PM8/25/22
They had Dr Marc Siegel on a few days back and he said that since the treatment was so aggressive it could have weakened the appendix. The appendix rupturing could have been accentuated by the cancer therapy.
It is known to happen especially if the cancer spreads.

With the amount of medical advancements, its really is a shame that this wasn't checked earlier. Prostate cancer is treatable if detected within 2-3 yrs of its start.

I am not a fan of Giuliani as well, especially when his father comes on and its a love fest.
Andrew was not on today, so they might try out a few people before deciding on a co-host.
If they make it Sid's solo show then being as litigious as he is he will want Bernie's half of the money as well.

One thing though, Cats has been magnificent with Bernie and his family, I dont know of another owner who would allow this for this long.

ColtFan FiveFiveSix

Aug 26, 2022, 12:41:30 AM8/26/22
Guys, this is brutal.

I am glad I found discussion on this-- I've been having a nervous breakdown since Bernie's biopsy. I'm in since the early Imus days so Bernie and Sid is my only source of entertainment. I am shocked that Sid actually revealed that Bernie HAD a high PSA score and neglected to do anything about it. I truly just can't believe he didn't follow up on it. He had became paler during the end of Imus and was almost translucent and couldn't sit at the Coney Island show w/John.

I pray that he comes back, I don't want to speculate that HE IS NOT. However Andrew did a very good job despite me not being a fan of his. He got Sid (who was obviously having a sad time) through the show after the call with Carol. He's a great fill in and I'd have no problem if he was a permanent fill-in for when one of the guys are gone. But it hurts too much to bring up the word "replacement". I haven't been the same in weeks.

God pray for Bernie, damnit.

martinjsxx

Aug 29, 2022, 7:51:44 AM8/29/22
Update 8/29/22:

Bernie is out again this week. Sid said he spoke with Bernie on Saturday and he sounded “like death” and Sid said it made him cry. He said Bernie needs more cancer treatments but they are on hold until he recovers from the appendix surgery. I don’t see how he comes back anytime soon if ever. Sid said that whatever happens he won’t have another co-host besides Bernie.

Frank

Aug 29, 2022, 9:03:45 AM8/29/22
I heard it too this morning and it was quite grim with Sid comparing it
to the last time he talked to his father and he teared up and had to cut
off. Let us all hope for the best.

Mac JT

Aug 29, 2022, 10:58:38 AM8/29/22
The prognosis is really bad.
Usually his wife talks to Sid but this time Bernie spoke himself, sort of like a farewell. Unfortunately I think we are in the final stretch.

Sid seems to be exhausted and wants out as well. He mentioned that as per contract Bernie is sort of a key man, therefore the contract will be void without one of them. I dont think he can do the show without Bernie as partner, at least in its current form.

Sid cannot get a better boss than Cats, so I'm not sure why he'd leave, perhaps an exclusive morning show with characters etc to take off the load.

In closing what a magnificent career, Bernie was a scrap fighter, born dirt poor, who got very lucky to have been found by Imus, rose and made a career out of it.
This is truly a great country, grit and determination can get you very far.

Frank

Aug 29, 2022, 11:57:23 AM8/29/22
I was curious and see "Once you've had an appendectomy, you will
probably recover pretty quickly. It feels good to get a bad appendix
out. Most patients leave the hospital 1 to 2 days after surgery. The
good news is that you'll be able to go back to all those normal
activities within 2 to 4 weeks."

Just hope something like that happens and he recovers. Often you cannot
cure cancer but you can live with it for many years.

martinjsxx

Sep 6, 2022, 8:14:52 AM9/6/22
Update 9/6/22:

Sid waited until 6:15 am this morning to even mention Bernie. He gave a short update and said Bernie got pneumonia last Thursday and probably wouldn’t be working this week (obviously not) and left it at that. Very sad.

On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 7:51:44

Frank

Sep 6, 2022, 2:25:05 PM9/6/22
Missed that but hear them praying for him.

Mac JT

Sep 7, 2022, 11:19:30 AM9/7/22
I think the writing is on the wall.

The last time I heard him his voice was very weak, last week he had pneumonia and before that appendicitis.
I very much doubt he will ever return,heck he's fighting to live forget about a silly radio program.

My own father was diagnosed with blood cancer but died of pneumonia.People with cancer have a high probability of contracting viral pneumonia, the most dangerous kind.With him unable to take medication that will interfere with cancer treatment, this is very serious.

As they say the show goes on, management has probably informed them not to bring up Bernie , gradually fade him out.
It looks like Andrew Giuliani will replace him as the radio straight man.

Fr Mac McDonald

Sep 8, 2022, 6:01:30 AM9/8/22
Pneumonia always seemed to loom large in the final days of those I ministered to back in the day. This does not sound good at all.

Frank

Sep 12, 2022, 12:23:19 PM9/12/22
Sounded grim again today. We have seen others want to work up until the
end.

ColtFan FiveFiveSix

Sep 17, 2022, 7:28:01 PM9/17/22
I don't know fellas. It's been over a year since the show was the show.. I think it's time WABC just lets Sid and the dedicated listiners know if the show is over. I can't listen to 'Bernie and Sid' if Sid is going to say Bernie may never come back (daily now). Just fill the people in who love Bernie and support Sid. Apparentley Bernie is back home.. no contact with Sid. Each day listining is harder due to the lack of clarity.

martinjsxx

Sep 19, 2022, 10:02:31 AM9/19/22
Sid doesn’t mention Bernie any more at the start of the show. Last week he said he didn’t know if Bernie would be in this week, and he wasn’t on today’s show. I don’t listen to the entire four hours so I may have missed if Sid said anything else about Bernie and I didn’t hear when he said Bernie was home. If they are going to continue calling it the Bernie and Sid show he should at least mention Bernie at the start of the Monday show. Sid needs a co-host to balance the show.

Today he said his wife was driving their daughter to Washington D.C. for some medical exam she needs for her college overseas and the only available appointment so soon was in Washington. With all Sid’s connections with powerful people and the regular doctors on WABC radio, he really couldn’t get an appointment in New York? Sid brags about powerful people calling him to be on the show but he can’t leverage any of them to get a doctor’s appointment for his daughter’s college education? Sounds strange and why can’t she just go to an urgent care center? Don’t they do things like college medical exams?

Dean Hoffman

Sep 19, 2022, 12:34:33 PM9/19/22
On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 9:02:31 AM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> Sid doesn’t mention Bernie any more at the start of the show. Last week he said he didn’t know if Bernie would be in this week, and he wasn’t on today’s show. I don’t listen to the entire four hours so I may have missed if Sid said anything else about Bernie and I didn’t hear when he said Bernie was home. If they are going to continue calling it the Bernie and Sid show he should at least mention Bernie at the start of the Monday show. Sid needs a co-host to balance the show.
>
> Today he said his wife was driving their daughter to Washington D.C. for some medical exam she needs for her college overseas and the only available appointment so soon was in Washington. With all Sid’s connections with powerful people and the regular doctors on WABC radio, he really couldn’t get an appointment in New York? Sid brags about powerful people calling him to be on the show but he can’t leverage any of them to get a doctor’s appointment for his daughter’s college education? Sounds strange and why can’t she just go to an urgent care center? Don’t they do things like college medical exams?

Maybe it's some sort of sneaky test to see if Sid's bank account is big enough. I read recently that something like 40% of college freshmen don't graduate. I think it is something like 40% of graduates don't get a job related to their degree.
> On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 7:28:01 PM UTC-4, mattg...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Sounded grim again today. We have seen others want to work up until the
> > > end.
> > I don't know fellas. It's been over a year since the show was the show.. I think it's time WABC just lets Sid and the dedicated listiners know if the show is over. I can't listen to 'Bernie and Sid' if Sid is going to say Bernie may never come back (daily now). Just fill the people in who love Bernie and support Sid. Apparentley Bernie is back home.. no contact with Sid. Each day listining is harder due to the lack of clarity.

The WABC management has surely thought of letting Bernie do something from home. Let him announce that he's done with the show type of thing. He could chew out Imus or Bernie one last time for silliness.

Mac JT

Sep 19, 2022, 12:36:25 PM9/19/22
On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 9:02:31 AM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> Sid doesn’t mention Bernie any more at the start of the show. Last week he said he didn’t know if Bernie would be in this week, and he wasn’t on today’s show. I don’t listen to the entire four hours so I may have missed if Sid said >anything else about Bernie and I didn’t hear when he said Bernie was home. If they are going to continue calling it the Bernie and Sid show he should at least mention Bernie at the start of the Monday show. Sid needs a co-host to >balance the show.

Sid is a bit of a weasel. The real reason he is getting frustrated about lack of clarity on whether Bernie will come back or not is money. When Bernie was around the money was split for dual duties. Now Sid carries the show so he wants more money. The sooner management tells him that Bernie isn't coming back , he can turn around and tell management to pay him Bernie's portion as well or hire another co-host who he can control to be second fiddle.
The way I read this management is it's old school. Cats will never let Bernie go, not when he's fighting to live let alone do a radio show. Cats isnt cut like that.

> Today he said his wife was driving their daughter to Washington D.C. for some medical exam she needs for her college overseas and the only available appointment so soon was in Washington. With all Sid’s connections with powerful >people and the regular doctors on WABC radio, he really couldn’t get an appointment in New York? Sid brags about powerful people calling him to be on the show but he can’t leverage any of them to get a doctor’s appointment for his >daughter’s college education? Sounds strange and why can’t she just go to an urgent care center? Don’t they do things like college medical exams?

I think the truth is somewhere in between. Cats is the one who got Bernie an appointment at Sloan Kettering, before than Bernie was getting a raw deal elsewhere. Then it was Dr Joshua Smith who saved his life with the appendix operation.
Sid got into a special booth at Mets stadium because of O'Reilly. He gets comped for meals at every restaurant he goes to because he advertises for free on the show. So he gets small favors and when need be the big ones.
But this I think is different as his wife probably had a say and wears the pants and didnt want help as she probably asked her Law contacts and they recommended the hospital in DC.
Also it can be misunderstood to mean an exam to sit for to get into medical school in the UK. In which case indeed its offered at only select places.

Frank

Sep 19, 2022, 1:25:51 PM9/19/22
In the last several months, I thought Bernie was phoning it in.

My opinion on college today is that too many people think you need a
college degree and study anything that will give them a degree not
considering what it will help them earn. A degree in art history costs
as much as an engineering degree.

It became a matter of supply and demand and as demand went up colleges
just raised tuition's. When college loans were available up went
tuition's and when the government took over, up again. Forgiveness of
$10,000 of the loans was a blatant vote buying attempt as anyone knows
by now it will further increase tuition cost.

Mac JT

Sep 19, 2022, 2:55:57 PM9/19/22

> Today he said his wife was driving their daughter to Washington D.C. for some medical exam she needs for her college overseas and the only available appointment so soon was in Washington. With all Sid’s connections with powerful people and the regular doctors on WABC radio, he really couldn’t get an appointment in New York? Sid brags about powerful people calling him to be on the show but he can’t leverage any of them to get a doctor’s appointment for his daughter’s college education? Sounds strange and why can’t she just go to an urgent care center? Don’t they do things like college medical exams?

Heard it again and it was about getting a student visa at the UK embassy in Washington.

martinjsxx

Sep 21, 2022, 2:22:16 PM9/21/22
Ok, I could have sworn Sid said it was a medical exam not a visa but that makes more sense although why wait last minute if she knew for many months that she was going to college in Wales?

Sid was going on today about how sad he is about his daughter going to Wales but creepily mentioned that he does the laundry and washes his daughter’s bras and panties and then has to separate them from his wife’s underwear to fold them. I wonder if that’s why she is going to Wales. Why would a young woman from NYC and Florida decide to go
to school in Wales? I think he might have once said she is going to school there with a boyfriend but I’m not positive. Whatever the reason she does seem to want to get away from one or both of her parents.

ColtFan FiveFiveSix

Sep 27, 2022, 3:27:19 PM9/27/22
not a mention of Bernie's status in a while..

Mac JT

Sep 28, 2022, 8:13:51 AM9/28/22
Sid mentioned in passing that Bernie stopped replying to his texts.
Obviously the guy isnt being rude.

martinjsxx

Sep 29, 2022, 9:50:08 AM9/29/22
Sid said he got a call from Bernie yesterday (9/28/22) and wouldn’t go into any details about the conversation but said Bernie isn’t going to be back anytime soon but said he would eventually return. Not sure I believe that but maybe Sid got a glimmer of hope from that conversation.

Frank

Sep 29, 2022, 1:38:08 PM9/29/22
At least he is still with us. I do not hear the whole show and it is
nice to know what is happening.

Bumped into a couple of people recently now walking with canes as chemo
has weakened them so much. One said his cancer has been gone awhile but
left him weakened.

ColtFan FiveFiveSix

Oct 2, 2022, 1:28:57 AM10/2/22
Well, now 2 days in a row Sid mentioned a possibility about a show without himself along with Bernie.. brutal times.

martinjsxx

Oct 6, 2022, 6:06:32 AM10/6/22
Bernie has died. Just announced by the station manager Chad Lopez.

Frank

Oct 6, 2022, 6:44:14 AM10/6/22
Just heard it myself. Very sad.

Pat A

Oct 6, 2022, 7:17:12 AM10/6/22

Mac JT

Oct 6, 2022, 7:57:07 AM10/6/22
RIP Bernie. He fought tooth and nail.

martinjsxx

Oct 6, 2022, 8:45:14 AM10/6/22
It’s careless of this website to have a headline that he died from brain cancer when it was prostate cancer. They have the story correct but that headline is careless.

On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 7:17:12 AM UTC-4, prettyf...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://radioink.com/2022/10/06/wabcs-bernie-mcguirk-dies-from-brain-cancer/

Frank

Oct 6, 2022, 2:29:45 PM10/6/22
By the time I looked it must have been corrected to say prostate.

Fr Mac McDonald

Oct 7, 2022, 5:58:25 AM10/7/22
Damn.

Dean Hoffman

Oct 7, 2022, 10:07:14 AM10/7/22
On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 3:15:28 PM UTC-6, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.

Quite a few of the Fox hosts mentioned Bernie last night. The Armstrong and Getty radio crew discussed re airing a segment or two of The Cardinal.

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Oct 7, 2022, 9:51:02 PM10/7/22
On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, martinjsxx wrote:
> For several weeks Bernie has been getting tests for prostate issues and he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer which is being treated with hormone therapy. Bernie has taken a few unscheduled days off such as when he had complications from the biopsy which required him to spend the night in the hospital. Sid has said to the audience “relax, Bernie isn’t dying” but his condition seems to be more serious than a prostate cancer diagnosis that you hear of with a 98% survival rate. Bernie had been having symptoms including pain before his diagnosis so it might have been advanced by the time it was found. Frankly, Bernie has looked sickly and older than his years when I have seen pictures and video of him the last few years. Bernie & Sid are due back on the air January 3rd so hopefully he will be well enough to return then.
____________________

I switched, yesterday while driving, to the FAN, listened for ten minutes, not a peep about Bernard, his association with Imus, his passing, nothing! Like they're in a parallel universe.

martinjsxx

Oct 9, 2022, 12:32:05 PM10/9/22
WFAN showed a lack of class by not mentioning Bernard’s passing when the news was announced. Mike Francesa tweeted his condolences and Joe Benigno said some very nice things about him on his Saturday morning show with Evan Roberts. I suspect that some WFAN hosts may not have liked his politics so they didn’t say anything. In contrast, Mark Simone on WOR radio mentioned it several times during his show and gave him a nice tribute.

Sid hasn’t been on the air since Tuesday. He had scheduled to be off Wednesday but didn’t return on Thursday or Friday and with a Monday holiday he may not be back until Tuesday which is the day of tributes for Bernie. I understand Sid is upset but he had to have seen this coming for at least six months.

I have seen a few photos of Bernard through the years and for several years he has looked old and gaunt. When I saw his pictures before his diagnosis he looked like a cancer patient to me. Why didn’t any of his family or co-workers ask him about his health and nudge him to get a physical exam?

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Oct 9, 2022, 2:40:09 PM10/9/22
______

I have learned over the years to separate talent from politics.

As for mhindsight, I guess some were still in a state of denial, even early
on in the deterioration of Bernie's health.

Mac JT

Oct 10, 2022, 8:05:54 PM10/10/22
Wow , that's really petty and said on the part of WFAN.
Death usually ends bitterness and hatred but looks like WFAN management cant separate the 2.
Cats mentioned that Trump called Bernie's wife condoling his death.
I'm sure his wife said something but it could be that he didnt mention his side effects till very late.
But this is a learning opportunity , I'm getting a colonoscopy this Dec.

BTW I thought it was pretty nice that they continued the name of the show and Cats said they will name a studio after Bernie and is arranging a mass at St Patricks Church for Bernie.

You know the guy was a good guy when tough as nails Bo Dietl broke down, Cats and Bill O'Reilly sniffled last week while talking about him, you could sense the deep sense of loss.

martinjsxx

Oct 11, 2022, 12:36:20 AM10/11/22
The funeral mass for Bernie isn’t at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, it is on Long Island. If there is a mass there it will be a memorial mass and not a funeral mass. The only thing I can find on google is on the WABC website that says “St. Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC is open to those who wish to mourn the loss at the church.” The Cathedral is open to anyone who wants to visit for whatever reason. It doesn’t say that there will be anything specific for Bernie. That could happen later if someone arranges for a memorial mass but it’s not like they are having the funeral there. Bernie’s obituary in the Long Island newspaper Newsday mentioned that he was fired from WFAN for racist comments. I don’t know if Cardinal Dolan would officiate at a mass for someone who was fired for “racist comments” so we will have to wait and see if that happens.

Today Sid returned to the show and said that he heard about Bernie’s death from Mike Breen who was close friends with Bernie and his wife. (He said Bernie had introduced Mike to his future wife.) For all the love declared on air between Bernie and Sid it doesn’t seem like they really were that close outside of work. For most of the time Bernie has been out, Sid didn’t really know what was going on with him and wasn’t kept informed except for a text or call once in awhile. The program director had more updates on Bernie than Sid had during his absences. I’m sure they liked each other but Sid was kept out of the loop on Bernie’s condition while a friend like Mike Breen was in touch with Bernie and his wife to the end. Tuesday (today) is supposed to be the day of tributes to Bernie but I think it’s time to move on after almost a week of on air mourning.

I think at some point the show will have to be renamed. You don’t have a show named for two people when one of them is dead. When they figure out if Sid will remain solo or have a new co-host then I assume the show will be renamed.

Mac JT

Oct 11, 2022, 9:10:20 AM10/11/22
Ok point taken about Mass vs funeral mass. I'm not Christian so this is new to me.

I think the "racist" connotation is an over reach, it was a joke in poor taste at best.

martinjsxx

Oct 11, 2022, 10:09:08 AM10/11/22
On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 9:10:20 AM UTC-4, macjo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ok point taken about Mass vs funeral mass. I'm not Christian so this is new to me.
>
> I think the "racist" connotation is an over reach, it was a joke in poor taste at best.

I agree that it was just humor but it was the label they put on Imus and Bernie.

The on air mourning continues. The official full day of mourning for Bernie on WABC radio is now tomorrow. Sid was out today to attend the funeral. I think the station is reaching the point of over-mourning Bernie. What more can be said about him that hasn’t been said for a week?,

Frank

Oct 11, 2022, 1:58:03 PM10/11/22

martinjsxx

Nov 4, 2022, 4:58:47 PM11/4/22
I just saw this post and Twitter link. Bernie’s appearance changed drastically over the years. Look at the picture of him looking healthy in the older family photo compared to how gaunt he looked in later years before his diagnosis. I still don’t know why family and co-workers didn’t see his weight loss and know something was wrong and tell him to see a doctor. Maybe they did and he refused but if so they should have kept telling him. Sid claims to have been best friends with him for over 20 years but hasn’t commented once that he looked sick before his diagnosis.