Re: 'Tragically Hip' - last concert starts in 15 minutes

Tony Peter

Aug 22, 2016, 12:05:47 AM8/22/16
In article <4601feca-6cd4-4be8-91e5-
d4bcb5...@googlegroups.com>
poignant <brewn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> CBC News Posted: Aug 20, 2016
>
> 'Not for sale, nothing': Hip fans refuse top dollars to part with
> Kingston concert tickets
>
> Tragically Hip performing final concert of their Man Machine Poem tour
> this evening
>
> http://i.cbc.ca/1.3729432.1471712519!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen
> /derivatives/16x9_620/the-hip.JPG Chris Jenkins, right, and his
> father, Mitch Lowndes, were some of the lucky Hip fans who were able
> to secure a ticket for tonight's concert after the box office put
> about 200 on sale this morning. _______________________________
>
> "Not for sale, nothing."
>
> How about for $1,000, $5,000?
>
> "No," said Chris Jenkins, a London, Ont., resident, as he refused to
> accept any money to part with the ticket he purchased just this
> morning for the Tragically Hip's big show in the band's hometown of
> Kingston, Ont.
>
> Maybe $50,000?
>
> "No, I'm going in."
>
> Standing outside the Rogers K-Rock Centre, where the Tragically Hip is
> slated to perform at the final concert of the band's Man Machine Poem
> tour this evening, Jenkins was beaming. He was one of the lucky ones
> able to snag a ticket after about 200 were released this morning.
>
> Jenkins said he took a chance, hoping more tickets would be released.
> So he and his dad arrived at the arena box office around 8 a.m, were
> about 15th in line and were able to get two floor seats for just over
> $200. The downtown venue holds fewer than 6,000 people.
>
> 'What does the Tragically Hip mean to you?': Fans respond
>
> His sentiment, rebuffing all offers to sell his ticket, was one shared
> by many fans here this morning, saying a price tag could not be placed
> on the experience of seeing this particular concert, which follows the
> announcement that the Hip's lead singer Gord Downie is suffering from
> terminal brain cancer.
>
> "This is going to be a memory that I'm going to have forever. This is
> rock-and-roll history being broadcast across the country and I get to
> be in the building."
>
> CBC is broadcasting and streaming the show live and commercial free on
> television, online and on radio. Hundreds of viewing parties are also
> taking place across the country — in such spaces as public parks,
> squares, bars, restaurants and movie theatres.
>
> Read Gord Downie's lyrics about dealing with cancer before his
> diagnosis
>
> Around 10 a.m. in Kingston, the tickets went on sale — about 200 of
> them, according to reports — and they were sold out by 10:45 a.m.
> About 100 people had been in line, waiting. Some said they had heard
> rumours on Facebook about more tickets being released, and some said
> they heard a radio station announce the sale.
>

> Just hoping
>
> Others, like Jenkins, were just hoping.
>
> If there are scalpers around the arena, they're keeping their presence
> [...]

Will Kathy Jo make it?

Tony Peter

Aug 22, 2016, 3:23:32 AM8/22/16

Whorella Mundane

Aug 29, 2016, 11:02:35 AM8/29/16
the wonder of 'man machine poem' was lost to all of this ... it's the best record i ever heard ... i accidentally heard it starting with the last song first, wearing headphones ... and each second of the record resonates with meaning ... and as a machine, i should have followed. i should have been there instead of scrambling around on youtube trying to find it - which i did, just before it was taken down as the CBC wanted it to be a live event and if you missed it, oh well.

i saw all of the shows on my TV and it was ... so sad except i keep thinking gordie is gonna make it. it wasn't called 'the final' show or tour but you can tell gordie was struggling and all i could think was that i hope they made a shitload of money because it's the end of an industry. how could a man so blessed be so cursed ... how gut-wrenching and wrong it all is ...

there was no way for me to go ... first, i would have had to go alone or be able to afford two tickets as i have no friends left who love the band. i thought about contacting madge but she's married and living in colorado or something. and as she changed, so did her musical taste. i imagine our glorious days of chasing the band, even to europe - well we were living abroad that year ... 2000 ... so it was like they were coming to us! i think those days are an embarrassment to her now and yet ... she dressed up in red white and blue - with majorette boots! like we were in the parade ...

i figure more than a few of the old fans would think about me - and would figure i was there. even look for an old broad with tons of long, red hair but wow. i'm just a lowly american fan and honestly don't know if my heart could have withstood the assault of trying to ... say good-bye to all of that.

i saw them in i think 2009, right when my life started to die, my dad having passed a few weeks before. betty wouldn't live another year. the love of my life booted me. jobless, homeless, moved in with my sister but she died, too. it's been a long, slow spiral for me.

i work in corporate america as a data scientist if you can believe it - sometimes i still can't. so i could have gotten together the funds. i'd have been content to just be in the room.

but i have health problems of my own ... i'd have had to have pulled something crazy to get my passport renewed and i don't have political friends anymore. haven't been to canada since you even needed one.

should i have been there? alone? or with someone who just didn't understand how much it all means to me? i imagined me in the parking lot after that show. a stranger in a strange land.

suddenly the canadians who had stopped showing up at the concerts, who stopped buying records, who never supported gordie's solo work, were all acting like their best friend died. so im a little bitter about that ...

but at last ... at last the band, and i ache for them all, but finally they got the love they deserved even though they didn't' keep making the same record repeatedly.

and songs like 'the dark canuck' won't be heard, even though he wore a 'jaws" shirt that was hilarious. or 'emporer penguin' ... or 'the depression suite' ...

anyway ... i want to see how it ends and i am praying for a miracle ... it's like i KNOW he's gonna be with us long enough to ... write a book, make more songs ... and still ... the family gots to come first. his health.

prayer ... trying not to be angry that all i can do is pray ...

with much love,

thanks for remembering me,

kathy jo