"Mothersbaugh: I'm sorry we were right."

Hauke Fath

Jul 8, 2022, 3:12:59 PM7/8/22
INDIANA: The Kent State shooting was a formative event in the
creation of Devo. Can you take me through the aftermath of experiencing
that trauma?

CASALE: Well, you can imagine how that would change a person to see
people shot, to be in close proximity, and see what real gunshots do to
humans. And to find out that they were people you knew well. You stop
being a passive person who believes the mythologies, the propaganda
you're being fed. You really have a dim view of illegitimate authority.
Then you see how history gets written, because people hated the
students, and thought more of them should have been killed. Those who
got to write that history got the story upside down. They were
gaslighting the victims. And you see that, and now you're terminally
pissed off. Devo was born from questioning the prevailing reality and
being on the wrong end of it. [...]

<https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/devo-interview/>, via
<https://www.jwz.org/blog/2022/07/dystopia-now-how-cult-new-wave-band-devo-predicted-our-doom-scroll-era/>

-- enjoy!