"SNL 40" Reunites Most of Show's Stars, Except Right Wingers Dennis Miller, Victoria Jackson

Ubiquitous

Feb 17, 2015, 9:36:46 AM2/17/15
by Roger Friedman

"SNL40" is a lot like a high school reunion. If you went off to become
popular and successful, you’re back. But if things got weird after you
left, forget it. Hence the glaring omission of Dennis Miller, who was a
great “Weekend Update” host but turned conservative mouthpiece in years
later. And no Victoria Jackson, who was a chirpy blonde on the show but
now fights for the Right.

Some others were missing too. Conan O’Brien, who wrote for the show in
the late 80s, went to Cuba instead. Cheri Oteri remains a mystery.
Julia Sweeney, who was in the audience last winter, didn’t get to trot
out It’s Pat! for some reason. Eddie Murphy was a let down after Chris
Rock gave him a huge build up. Eddie got a standing ovation, but did
nothing. Albert Brooks was very much missing, as was Buck Henry (who at
least got a an interstitial photo.)

Nevertheless, it was very much a soup to nuts show. Three and a half
hours, and Lorne Michaels managed to fit in as much as he could of
everything, from Mr. Bill to General Franco, to the Shark at the door.
Dan Akyroyd and Laraine Newman re-creating the Bass in the blender was
wonderful. Jane Curtin showed her excellent timing with Tina Fey and
Amy Poehler. Norm McDonald, Kevin Nealon, and Tim Meadows were
delightful to see again.

The music was an issue. While Miley Cyrus did a superlative job on Paul
Simon’s “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover,” Simon himself settled being
there. (He’d flown in from Australia.) Paul McCartney sounded terrible
on “Maybe I’m Amazed”– maybe because he was up until late performing
last night. Kanye West was dreadful. Simon made for everything by
singing “Still Crazy After All These Years” at the show’s end. He’s
Lorne’s just about best friend, and has been there literally from day
1. That song was key at the show’s start in 1975.

Finally got “Wayne’s World” at 11:12. Three hours, 12 minutes. Worth
waiting for if you were still up.

The show gets an A. It was sloppy, it was up and down, there were
moments of brilliance. It was exactly like any reunion. And ultimately
it was very satisfying. And it was nice to see Lorne, Steve Martin and
Paul Simon there on the stage at the very end.,

PS Jon Lovitz was a good sport in the In Memoriam segment, which
otherwise was handled tastefully.

I live Tweeted most of it. Check it out on Twitter @showbiz411.

--
So to recap:
Iraq is imploding

A Friend

Feb 17, 2015, 11:42:33 AM2/17/15
In article <mbvjkm$pbh$3...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> by Roger Friedman
>
> "SNL40" is a lot like a high school reunion. If you went off to become
> popular and successful, youíre back. But if things got weird after you
> left, forget it. Hence the glaring omission of Dennis Miller, who was a
> great ìWeekend Updateî host but turned conservative mouthpiece in years
> later. And no Victoria Jackson, who was a chirpy blonde on the show but
> now fights for the Right.
>
> Some others were missing too. Conan OíBrien, who wrote for the show in
> the late 80s, went to Cuba instead. Cheri Oteri remains a mystery.
> Julia Sweeney, who was in the audience last winter, didnít get to trot
> out Itís Pat! for some reason. Eddie Murphy was a let down after Chris
> Rock gave him a huge build up. Eddie got a standing ovation, but did
> nothing. Albert Brooks was very much missing, as was Buck Henry (who at
> least got a an interstitial photo.)

Victoria Jackson was indeed there. Albert Brooks wasn't, but his short
films got a longish sampling.

Many alumni didn't care to come because they'd have had to pay their
own way -- lodging, transportation and so on. NBC was covering
nothing, except for the big names.

The special didn't do anything for the show's writers, and indeed made
a joke of it. That lack would have been fair game for this kind of
criticism.

> Julia Sweeney, who was in the audience last winter, didnít get to trot
> out Itís Pat! for some reason.

She HATES doing Pat. Cf. her monologue show, God Said, HA!

> PS Jon Lovitz was a good sport in the In Memoriam segment, which
> otherwise was handled tastefully.

Uh ... the inclusion of Lovitz at the end was a joke, yes? To lighten
the mood of the room? There was nothing distasteful about it.

Bluntly, this review lacks substance.

Adam H. Kerman

Feb 17, 2015, 11:49:21 AM2/17/15
A Friend wrote:

>The special didn't do anything for the show's writers, and indeed made
>a joke of it. That lack would have been fair game for this kind of
>criticism.

This is so snarkable.

Michael Black

Feb 17, 2015, 2:34:29 PM2/17/15
At least twice, they mentioned Jon Lovitz as "no longer being with us" or
whatever the exact words. At the end, but earlier too.

Michael

Ashton Crusher

Feb 17, 2015, 5:54:47 PM2/17/15
I stick with my earlier observation that the show lost the intimacy it
had during it's heyday. That best parts of the reunion were the parts
that included some of that intimacy. The smaller sets, the darker
lighting, the less ambitious staging all made the show more accessible
to the audience back then. With 40 years there is no way everyone is
going to get a moment in the sun unless the whole show consisted of
nothing but 10 second moments. For all the criticisms of the show in
more recent times I thought this 40SNL was really quite good, I'd give
it an 8 whereas a typical new SNL I would rarely rate higher then a 5.
Seeing Jane Curtain and Dan Ackroyd on the show again was wonderful.
Have to wonder if Eddie Murphy is suffering from some medical
condition, .. something just wasn't right about his short appearance.
And I don't understand the continued attraction of people to see Paul
McCartney perform, if you can call it that. Nothing against his body
of work but he just can't sing anymore, and no criticism implied, I
never could sing. But why do people want to see him beat those notes
into submission, I don't see how it's enjoyable for him or the
audience. Miley did a nice job on 50 ways.. I wonder if they could
have done something with her and Simon doing it as a duo.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 5:50:00 -0500, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>

FPP

Feb 17, 2015, 6:32:19 PM2/17/15
On 2015-02-16 05:50:00 -0500, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> said:

> "SNL40" is a lot like a high school reunion. If you went off to become
> popular and successful, you’re back. But if things got weird after you
> left, forget it. Hence the glaring omission of Dennis Miller, who was a
> great “Weekend Update” host but turned conservative mouthpiece in years
> later. And no Victoria Jackson, who was a chirpy blonde on the show but
> now fights for the Right.

Here it comes... the inevitable "they hate me because I'm a
conservative" bullshit.

Miller's producer says he didn't attend because of "family
obligations"... but, by all means, don't let facts get in the way of
your pity party.

https://twitter.com/ChristianDMZ/status/567333670269112323
--
Q: How do you know when <NoB...@nowhere.com> is lying? A: Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> fingers are moving.

A Friend

Feb 17, 2015, 11:39:47 PM2/17/15
In article <mc0j0p$dgk$1...@dont-email.me>, FPP <fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-02-16 05:50:00 -0500, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> said:
>
> > "SNL40" is a lot like a high school reunion. If you went off to become
> > popular and successful, you?re back. But if things got weird after you
> > left, forget it. Hence the glaring omission of Dennis Miller, who was a
> > great ?Weekend Update? host but turned conservative mouthpiece in years
> > later. And no Victoria Jackson, who was a chirpy blonde on the show but
> > now fights for the Right.
>
> Here it comes... the inevitable "they hate me because I'm a
> conservative" bullshit.
>
> Miller's producer says he didn't attend because of "family
> obligations"... but, by all means, don't let facts get in the way of
> your pity party.

And, as I've already pointed out, Victoria Jackson *was* there.

FPP

Feb 18, 2015, 3:05:08 AM2/18/15
I disagree. She couldn't have been.

I've been to her website, and I can state with certainly that she is
NOT all there, by any stretch of the definition.
--
Illiterate? Write for our free brochure!

NoBody

Feb 18, 2015, 7:32:31 AM2/18/15
On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:32:16 -0500, FPP <fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2015-02-16 05:50:00 -0500, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> said:
>
>> "SNL40" is a lot like a high school reunion. If you went off to become
>> popular and successful, you?re back. But if things got weird after you
>> left, forget it. Hence the glaring omission of Dennis Miller, who was a
>> great ?Weekend Update? host but turned conservative mouthpiece in years
>> later. And no Victoria Jackson, who was a chirpy blonde on the show but
>> now fights for the Right.
>
>Here it comes... the inevitable "they hate me because I'm a
>conservative" bullshit.
>
>Miller's producer says he didn't attend because of "family
>obligations"... but, by all means, don't let facts get in the way of
>your pity party.

Citation lacking.

NoBody

Feb 19, 2015, 6:09:05 AM2/19/15