Company might violate FTC Fair Credit Reporting laws?

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Aug 9, 2013, 6:32:06 AM8/9/13
I wonder if company's legal department checked this:

While it may be convenient to dig into someone's Usenet past all the way
back to 20+ years--Federal Trade Commission Fair Credit Reporting laws
apparently only allow reporting and usage up to a maximum of seven years.
This is why background services companies such as Social Intelligence are
doing a seven year background screen, not one from 20+ past years ago.

Has the company's legal department supposedly cleared passing over a job
candidate or firing and existing employee based on 20+ years Usenet posts?
Did I get that right? Are they really comfortable with opening themselves up
to being reported to the Federal Trade Commission complaint for a possible
illegal background check? Did they double-check their policies vs. the FTC
laws for usage and reporting of information of background check information?
Are they really sure?

We will see what company does to their prospective job candidates and their
existing employees about how far back they use information to disqualify a
prospective job candidate or fire a current employee. Keep an eye on this
thread if the company needs to be identified--which they most certainly will
be if I find out a job candidate was disqualified or if a current employee
was fired due to 20+ years old Usenet posts.