RIP Phelps 'Catfish' Collins.

F~A~R~V~A-Yankee Northern Allfather

Aug 14, 2010, 1:54:20 AM8/14/10
R&B guitarist Phelps 'Catfish' Collins dead at 66

Played with Parliament-Funkadelic, James Brown's J.B.'s
Reuters
DETROIT - R&B guitarist Phelps "Catfish" Collins, a veteran of James
Brown's J.B.'s, Parliament-Funkadelic and his younger brother William
"Bootsy" Collins' Rubber Band, died of cancer last Friday at his home in
Cincinnati. He as 66.
Bootsy Collins said in a statement that "my world will never be the same
.. Be happy for him, he certainly is now and always has been the
happiest young fellow I ever met on this planet."
Bootsy's wife, Patti Collins, told the Cincinnati Enquirer that Catfish
"was a father figure to my husband. He's the reason why Bootsy is who he
is."
Catfish, eight years Bootsy's senior, suggested his brother put bass
strings on an old guitar. After being recruited by James Brown, they
played on such classics as "Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine,"
"Give It Up or Turnit a Loose," "Super Bad" and "Soul Power."
By 1971 they had left Brown's employ, going on to form the House Guests
and then joining Funkadelic in 1972 for albums such as "America Eats Its
Young" and "Cosmic Slop." Catfish remained with the group -- which also
lost guitarist Garry Shider to cancer in June -- until the mid-'80s.
"(Catfish) was a hell of a musician," keyboardist Bernie Worrell, who
played with the guitarist in Funkadelic, told the Enquirer. "People seem
to forget that the rhythm guitar behind James Brown was Catfish's
creative genius, and that was the rhythm besides Bootsy's bass."
Copyright 2010 Reuters. Click for restrictions.
More from Entertainment
- Publicist: Zsa Zsa Gabor back in the hospital
- 'The Expendables' is absurd action throwback
- 'Eat, Pray, Love' offers female wish fulfillment
- 'Scott Pilgrim' snappy and fun, but fights drag
- Foxy Brown indicted for court violation
- Bristol Palin, Levi Johnston agree on custody
Video coverage
China wins ‘human dominoes’ title (00:40)
Ambush! Teacher’s new back-to-school look (05:27)
Kathie Lee, Hoda toast Friday the 13th (10:49)
Web only: Meet TODAY's biggest fan, Linny (02:30)
Balloon fiesta in the U.K. (00:59)
More videos in TODAY
Search msnbc.com
1 Top stories
2 Business
3 Sports | Scores
4 U.S. news
5 World news
6 Politics
7 Tech & science
8 Entertainment
9 Health
- Travel
-
-
- Nightly News
- TODAY
- Dateline
- Meet the Press
- Countdown
- Rachel Maddow
-
-
- See news breaking?
- Podcasts
- Local news
- News alerts
0 MSN home
*Top # Bottom
Switch to regular msnbc.com site

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2010 MSNBC.com
34% (28.63 kB) saved
Skweezer | Hide Images | New Bookmark | Translate | Company
Page optimized for mobile device, click here to view without Skweezer.
© 2001-2010 Skweezer

                               _
                            /'_/)
                          ,/_  /
                         /    /
                   /'_'/'   '/'__'7,
                /'/    /    /    /" /_\
               ('(    ' Fuck     /'   ')
              \      You'          /
                 '\'              _.7'
                   \             (
                     \            \
CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3RD
STICK IT UP THE STICKLER!
AND
DON'T TAZE MY GRANNY!

rob

Aug 14, 2010, 7:51:57 PM8/14/10
On Aug 14, 1:54 am, Vindr...@webtv.net (F~A~R~V~A-Yankee Northern

never heard of him.

Uncle Vince

Sep 21, 2010, 8:40:16 AM9/21/10
Vind...@webtv.net (F~A~R~V~A-Yankee Northern Allfather) wrote in news:1556-
4C662F...@storefull-3111.bay.webtv.net:

> R&B guitarist Phelps 'Catfish' Collins dead at 66

Yup, the Catfish is dead as well.

--
I've seen that look on Hawkman's face enough times, Jess. He's about to go
off.--Rick"Hourman"Tyler