The DEA has
* subpoenaed Florida garden centers to turn over records showing who
* has bought items like fluorescent lamps and plant food. [What???]
* CBS News, Dan Rather reporting. See this camera on a building at the
* mall? It's aimed at this lighting store's customers, recording them
* and the licenses on their cars. Little old lady: I was growing some
* plants indoors, here aren't they pretty? When the police burst in...
* USA Today, undated: Kalispell, Montana---Police said unusually high
* electric bills tipped them to marijuana-growing operation.
* CBS 48 hours: flying over everyone's properties, infrared scanning homes
* looking for heat loss: there's one bleeding heat from one part of the
* house. Let's get a search warrant.
* USA Today, undated: "LOITERING LAW": a new Dallas city ordinance allows
* police TO ARREST AND SEARCH PEOPLE WHO LOOK LIKE DRUG DEALERS.
We've come a long way from 'presumed innocent'.
Now: presumed potentially guilty.
* "Riot May Push Md. to Expedite Prison Building", The Washington Post
* An inmate riot last week at one of Maryland's most crowded and violent
* prisons will help force the state to consider a more rapid pace of
* prison construction, key state legislators said.
This level of monitoring has given us a world record % of prison population.
So much for 'The Land of the Free'.
* As a result, over 100 inmates were transferred to the state's "super-
* maximum" prison. Signs of looming trouble became evident weeks ago.
Signs of looming trouble have been ignored for years.
# "Notes and Comment", The New Yorker, April 13, 1992
# Traditionally, vast prison systems have adorned tyrannies.
# However, due to mandatory mini
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 4.8.2
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----