GANGS TO COMMUNICATE WITH IMPUNITY. OTHER THAN SOME KIND
OF KEY RECOVERY SYSTEM, THERE IS NO TECHNICAL SOLUTION.
* And this false diagnosis is on purpose.
* When Louis Freeh told the National Press Club that homicides have almost
* tripled since 1960, his audience had to have been disturbed. Freeh's
* picture of a grim, seemingly inevitable upward surge in what has always
* been considered among the most heinous crimes is indeed a frightening
* But once again, like a car salesman trying to make his monthly quota,
* Freeh pushes too hard. First of all, his claim that there are now
* nearly three times more homicides than in 1960 ignored the important
* fact that the nation's population grew substantially during that period.
* When this factor is taken into account, the picture still looks bad, but
* not quite as bad as Freeh suggested. While the *numbers* of murders did
* indeed almost triple, the murder *rate* barely doubled:
* In 1992, 10.4 murders per 100,000 people
* In 1960, 4.7 murders per 100,000 people
* Amazing as it may seem that a leading law enforcement official might
* try to buttress his cases through the selective use of statistics, that
* was hardly the end of it.
* When the FBI director selected the years to illuminate his thesis for the
* National Press Club, he compared a year when the nation's homicide rate
* was at one of its *all-time lowest* points to that of a year when the rate
* was near its *all-time high*. [extended discussion of homicides followed]
* Such selective use of statistics is dishonest.
* It is impossible to know what was going through Louis Freeh's mind as he
* delivered his distorted, exaggerated and fundamentally flawed crime speech
* to the National Press Club.
* We d
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 5.0.7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----