Re: a lot of accurate rumours are unexpected and other indirect mistakes are strategic, but will Candy survive that

Elmo

Jan 15, 2008, 7:49:36 PM1/15/08
we should treat it in this fashion; the matter concerns
ourselves and our all.

The immortality of the soul is a matter which is of so great consequence to
us and which touches us so profoundly that we must have lost all feeling to
be indifferent as to knowing what it is. All our actions and thoughts must
take such different courses, according as there are or are not eternal joys
to hope for, that it is impossible to take one step with sense and judgment
unless we regulate our course by our view of this point which ought to be
our ultimate end.

Thus our first interest and our first duty is to enlighten ourselves on this
subject, whereon depends all our conduct. Therefore among those who do not
believe, I make a vast difference between those who strive with all their
power to inform themselves and those who live without troubling or thinking
about it.

I can have only compassion for those who sincerely bewail their doubt, who
regard it as the greatest of misfortunes, and who, sparing no effort to
escape it, make of this inquiry their principal and most serious occupation.

But as for those who pass their life without thinking of this ultimate end
of life, and who, for this sole reason that they do not find within
themselves the lights which convince them of it, neglect to seek them
elsewhere, and to examine thoroughly whether this opinion is one of those
which people receive with credulous simplicity, or one of those which,
although obscure in themselves, have nevertheless a solid