tonight cancelled?

GRUMWALD

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00
Heard tonight was cancelled on WLIR. Is it true?

Jumbo

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00
In article <20000617174833...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,
grum...@aol.com says...

> Heard tonight was cancelled on WLIR. Is it true?

Yup, No rescheduled date, just refunds.... (just got off of the phone
with Roseland)
Sucks...

Orac

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
In article <MPG.13b5c2ee9...@news.mindspring.com>, Jumbo
<Ju...@att.net> wrote:

Definitely. I was there, and no explanations were given. To get a
refund, all the Roseland crew would say is to go to your point of sale
(which means Ticketmaster). I ordered mine over the Internet and was
supposed to pick up the tickets at the will-call window, so it looks
like an annoying attempt to get through to Ticketmaster is in order.

This really sucks. Even if he were to reschedule it, unless he scheduled
it on another Saturday or Sunday, I doubt I could go. Getting into the
city on a weeknight is damned near impossible for me. Even if it were on
a Saturday or Sunday, I might not be able to go if it's a weekend I'm on
call.

Does anyone know why the show was canceled.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
| inconvenience me with questions?"

CVIGNERI

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
Hey bowiefans,

David strained his voice on the Fri nite gig, so tonite was cancelled. I was
heartbroken when i walked up to the roseland to see wide eyed shocked fans
standing about not sure what do withthemselves with an all of a sudden free
eve..Some new friends were made in the crowd, but overall a sad eve for us
dissapointed Bowieites. No prob Dave, we still LOVE YA :)

ALADINSANE

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
Orac wrote:
> Does anyone know why the show was canceled.

I have a theory why the show was cancelled. Look at it this way. You all
paid so Dave has the money. Since the show is cancelled he doesn't have
to work. You'll get your money when you go to Ticketmaster. Dave will
pay back Ticketmaser This will all take time. Meanwhile the money sits
in Dave's account earning interest which he will not have to pay to
Ticketmaster. Easy score

Jamie

Scott Ghelfi

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
Without any sarcasm, I just want to extend my simpathies to you guys. A lot
of people went to a lot of trouble to get to this concert and I really feel
bad for the ones that are missing out. I honestly hope Bowie does another
show and does something really special to make up for the inconvenience.
Do I think it will happen?. . .well. . .

GRUMWALD <grum...@aol.com> wrote in message

BEEMEEJOE

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
Do you honestly believe that one of the five weathiest British citzens needs to
hold onto anyones money !!!
Come on, The bowie bond that was issued a few years back put somewhere in the
nieghborhood of $850,000.00 US in his pocket.
remember, he sold the rights to all his old stuff.
He does shows because he likes to.
all true...

ALADINSANE

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00

Another historian are you? Where exactly do you get your facts because
you are wrong. How many weeks have you been following Bowie? Three?

First of all the bond issue was not on, "ALL his old stuff." The bonds
are really an asset backed security. It was reported that the backing
for the security was to be on record royalties from 1975 and previous.
This is totally incorrect. The securities are backed by CURRENT
royalties. So you are wrong. If you don't believe me check Moody's
Investment Service which is strictly a bond rating service for brokerage
houses. The bonds were a private placement so they do not trade on the
New York Exchange.

Now where did you get the figure of $850,000.00. This certainly proves
how much you know, which is pretty well nothing on this matter. The
private placement was not available to the general public. The bonds
were issued as ten year notes and were all bought by Prudential
Insurance Company Of America. As I said the bonds are backed by current
royalties. Bowie received $55 million US in return. This information is
publicly available due to securities disclosure regulations. Next time
you respond maybe you should get the facts. It's less embarrassing.

The current yield of the bonds is 7.9% compared to US treasuries with a
yield of 6.3%. Moody rates the bonds risk at single-A-3.

That is the truth. Check it out.

Jamie

ps - my post was sarcastic <history major>

stare with blank looks

Zig Dust

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
Won't you EVER stop? Why bother posting a lot of crap about things that you
think
you know so much about? Please, don't! We're not interested in Your opinion
anymore!

--
Cheers
Zig Dust®

"ALADINSANE" <j.s...@home.com> skrev i meddelandet

MY37

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
I just want to say I'm EXTREMELY disappointed and angry. I've waited
approximately 10-12 years as a Bowie fan to see him in concert, and 6/17
would've been my first time seeing him. I didn't find out about the show being
cancelled until hours before the show was due to start, and I was waiting
outside Roseland with a ton of other people. My question is, did anybody hear
about the cancelation ahead of time?? Someone said that radio station WLIR
mentioned it, but if it was widely known ahead of time, I don't think half of
those people would've been sitting out there, and it was obvious some people
were camped out from the night before. I hope the story about David's vocal
chords is true. Makes me wonder though, why did he go nuts on Friday night when
he KNEW he had a show the next night??
I only had to travel from Long Island, NY but I still spent money on
trains and cabs that were now wasted. I feel VERY bad for those fans who came
from out of state, and even out of the country. I can't imagine the aggravation
and frustration they must be experiencing now knowing that something they built
whole trip around was screwed up. I just hope the employee that was going
around outside Roseland who was collecting things for Bowie actually gives that
stuff for him. I think Bowie better make up for this concert BIG TIME. I say
he comes back to NYC very soon (maybe in July when he's there for the Yahoo!
awards?) and play a bunch of dates, I don't care where they are, Roseland,
Madison Square Garden, etc. because what happened last night was ridiculous.
w/b/s Melissa

Carol

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
I agree with you. I was so excited when I heard that Bowie
was going to play at Roseland. I have seen him 3 times in
large venues which were all great and I knew that seeing
him in a small venue would be a real treat. After I saw
his set list from the 16th, I was totally ecstatic. After
enjoying a dinner in N.Y.C. on 06/17, we were shocked to
walk up to Roseland and be told that the concert was
cancelled. The person at the door said that Bowie had
laryngitis and will not be rescheduling the show since it
was just a "rehearsal show"...and he said that Monday's
show is still on and sold out so all ticket purchases from
06/17 will be refunded. Maybe it was just a "rehearsal
show" for Bowie, but it was a big event for those loyal
fans like myself that waited years to see him perform
again, especially in a venue like Roseland. I was hoping
that Bowie would have rescheduled the show for another
date -- anytime.

I guess it was too good to be true. Besides the
disappointment was the aggravation and money spent. We had
to purchase the tickets a few weeks ago at a premium since
it sold out so quickly and now we have to lose some of our
money. We also had a choice of nights and made the bad
choice of 06/17 -- Oh, well.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Scott Ghelfi

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
Dude,
this is a public forum. If he can't post his opinion here, where should he
go?
And as for questioning Jamie's knowledge on all things Bowie, he'll blow
your ass out of the water. If you don't like his posts then ignore them but
don't ever say his posts are crap and he only thinks he knows what he is
talking about. If I were to count up all the topical and intelligent posts
made by Jamie and then compare them to anyone else in the NG he would win
hands down. He has more to offer than 90% of you people put together, and
you are lucky that he does actually research his opinions as opposed to
others who post nonsense that they assume to be true. Like that guy on this
thread talking about Bowie Bonds. Thank goodness we have jamie to set people
like that straight.

Zig Dust <z...@swipnet.se> wrote in message

BTGAKAYNY

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
I called the Roseland to find out that it was cancelled because David has lost
his wife. When I asked exactly what they meant by 'lost' they told me dead....
There is nothing on the news anywhere so I do not understand this?

FLETCH

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
Dear God, I hope not!!

/

BTGAKAYNY <btga...@aol.com> wrote in message

Orac

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <394C483E...@home.com>, ALADINSANE <j.s...@home.com>
wrote:

>Orac wrote:
>> Does anyone know why the show was canceled.
>

>I have a theory why the show was cancelled. Look at it this way. You all
>paid so Dave has the money. Since the show is cancelled he doesn't have
>to work. You'll get your money when you go to Ticketmaster. Dave will
>pay back Ticketmaser This will all take time. Meanwhile the money sits
>in Dave's account earning interest which he will not have to pay to
>Ticketmaster. Easy score

REALLY bad logic. I'm told there was supposed to be approximately 3000
people there. Let's use that as a rough approximation. (Even if it's
4000 people, that is not enough to change things appreciably for
purposes of this argument.) 3000 tickets sold x $40 a ticket=$120,000
(roughly). The interest that that money would earn in the short period
of time Bowie would be able to keep it would be (at most) mere pocket
change to Bowie. Not only that, but he loses all the potential sales of
Bowie merchandise. Not only that, but the management of the Roseland
Ballroom is almost certainly going to want some sort of compensation for
the canceled show, because they still had to pay their staff and didn't
get any revenue from selling drinks and concessions. Not only that, but
Bowie pissed off a large number of his fans. Bowie would have to be a
moron to pull a scheme like your theory, and I don't think Bowie's a
moron.

Orac

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <evY25.72284$nl3.2...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>, "Scott
Ghelfi" <sgh...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>Without any sarcasm, I just want to extend my simpathies to you guys. A lot
>of people went to a lot of trouble to get to this concert and I really feel
>bad for the ones that are missing out. I honestly hope Bowie does another
>show and does something really special to make up for the inconvenience.
>Do I think it will happen?. . .well. . .

I don't.

Orac

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <20000618090632...@ng-bg1.aol.com>, my...@aol.com
(MY37) wrote:

>I just want to say I'm EXTREMELY disappointed and angry. I've waited
>approximately 10-12 years as a Bowie fan to see him in concert, and
>6/17 would've been my first time seeing him. I didn't find out about
>the show being cancelled until hours before the show was due to start,
>and I was waiting outside Roseland with a ton of other people. My
>question is, did anybody hear about the cancelation ahead of time??
>Someone said that radio station WLIR mentioned it, but if it was
>widely known ahead of time, I don't think half of those people
>would've been sitting out there, and it was obvious some people were
>camped out from the night before. I hope the story about David's vocal
>chords is true. Makes me wonder though, why did he go nuts on Friday
>night when he KNEW he had a show the next night??

I arrived at Roseland around 4 PM, and there was no word out that the
show was canceled, and there was a long line of fans waiting to get into
the show. I was told that Will Call tickets would be distributed at 6:30
PM. Given that my friends and I were rather hungry, we took off and
found a place to get some dinner. When we came back around 6:15 PM, our
first thought was that they must have opened the doors early, because
the crowd was much smaller and was just milling about the entrance way.
Then we heard some guy with a bullhorn announcing the show was canceled.

Orac

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <1ffcfa6b...@usw-ex0109-070.remarq.com>, Carol
<A0707N...@aol.com.invalid> wrote:

>I guess it was too good to be true. Besides the
>disappointment was the aggravation and money spent. We had
>to purchase the tickets a few weeks ago at a premium since
>it sold out so quickly and now we have to lose some of our
>money. We also had a choice of nights and made the bad
>choice of 06/17 -- Oh, well.

I didn't have a choice of nights. By the time I got onto Ticketmaster's
website, a mere half hour after tickets went on sale, the June 16 show
had been sold out. In any case, don't forget, Ticketmaster won't refund
the "convenience fee." That's gone forever. Ticketmaster gets you
whether the show goes on or not.

Mistress Stardust

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00

GAWD
sometimes i wonder why i still read this NG
~Mistress Vampira~
The Shadows Of Death
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pit/1220/vicky.html

BEEMEEJOE

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
First of all thanks Jamie for setting me straight.
I want to apologize for mis-stating the facts.
I heard a story on Public radio shortly after the bond was issued that with the
issue of the bond Bowie became one of the five wealthiest British citizens.
I wasn't trying to distort the facts.
It was estimated that the approx net worth of Bowie was nearly one Billion
Dollars(US).
I guess I'd attributed that to the issue of the bond, After all Martha Stewart
made something like a Half a Billion when they issued the bond on her. Oprah
too !!.
I'll admit, I just thought that the Money comment was silly. Keeping the
Interest?
WOW!.
I'm sorry that people had to miss the show but, I sincerly doubt that money
had anything to do with it.
I stumbled across this group for the first time last night.
As for following Bowie for three weeks, No...
I've been a fan for many years.
I just haven't had the time or access to keep up with the personal doings of
Bowie..
just the Music.
Which I still love.
Sorry to anyone who took offence to the last post.
I look forward to reading more
Joe

MY37

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
Orac,
That's what happened to me. I was on the Ticketmaster site early
Friday May 19th when the tickets went on sale, and because the web was so slow,
etc. I had to get tickets for the 17th before they sold out. I've NEVER had a
chance to see Bowie in concert, and I've been a fan for 12 years, and everytime
he came to NY, something would happen that I couldn't get tickets to a show.
And now the one time I actually get tickets, he cancels! I think it's a shame
he's not rescheduling either. "Rehearsal show" or not, it was a SOLD OUT event
that people payed big money for. Melissa

Orac

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <20000619100949...@ng-fe1.aol.com>, my...@aol.com (MY37)
wrote:

Actually (and sadly), these days, $40 a ticket for a show isn't really
considered "big money." In fact, it's downright reasonable, compared to how much
some acts (The Who, The Rolling Stones, Don Henley, etc.) are charging this year.

However, I fully sympathize. I've been a Bowie fan since the late 1970's (I
probably would have been a fan since his Ziggy Stardust days, except that I was
in grade school then. I've also been fortunate enough to manage to see Bowie on
every tour he's done since 1983 (except one of his Tin Machine tours), no matter
where I happened to be living at the time. I thought I had lucked out that the
only shows Bowie would be doing in the U.S. would be somewhere I could manage to
go. I wasn't even disappointed that I couldn't get tickets for the Friday show,
because, to be honest, getting into the city on a Friday night after work is a
royal pain in the rear, assuming I can manage to get out of work in time to get
to the show before 8 PM. A Saturday show worked out much better for me. Even
better, a very good friend of mine was even visiting NYC from out of town on
business and had arranged to stay an extra night to see the show on Saturday
with me. And then Bowie canceled the Saturday show. Bummer.

The other thing that annoys the hell out of me is the cluelessness of the
Roseland Ballroom staff. They seemed to have no idea how to do the basics of
crowd control, and they didn't get information out very well.

(David Gorski)|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
| inconvenience me with questions?"

Niko Verheyen

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
Maybe 'cause some nice people give you free mp3's from time to time...

-- Dutch Schulz

Scott Ghelfi

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
I doubt that very much. It would have been on the news imediately.

FLETCH <fle...@lis.net.au> wrote in message

MY37

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
Orac,
Well, I didn't mean the price of tickets, I meant the people who
spent a lot of money and got tickets from Ebay auctions, people who came from
Europe who not only paid for tickets, but hotels, flight transportation, etc. I
didn't pay anything close to what those people shelled out. I can only imagine
the frustration and anger they're experiencing right now.
But at least you've seen him in concert. I've waited 12 years to see
him for my first time and I have no idea when he's going to be back in NYC
again. And I'm still wondering how severe could his voice loss have been if he
had plenty of energy for Monday night's show?? Voice injury can be a quite
serious thing and without proper rest and care, it can be damaged permanently.
I guess David wasn't in that bad shape if he was able to sing 23 songs on
Monday night.
By the way, maybe you or someone else can answer this quickly: How did
the folks at Roseland know whether or not a person is a Bowienet member to get
into Monday's show? Did they have a list made up of people who purchased
tickets, with their Bowienet member names, etc.? I'm not on Bowienet so I was
curious as to how this worked.
As for the staff at Roseland, yes, they were clueless and they're a very
rude bunch in my opinion. When I had called Roseland in the weeks before the
concert to confirm information, etc. the people were extremely rude on the
phone. If that Bowie crew person hadn't come down to collect cards, gifts, etc.
and told folks it was canceled, I think there would've been a real riot if it
was just the Roseland staff handling everything. I only hope Bowie returns to
NYC soon. I think his not rescheduling is completely unfair. Melissa

Dan Wentz

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
I think the guy was probably tired of the phone ringing off the hook. Pretty
sick humor if you ask me. :(

I was lucky enough to get tickets on ticketmaster for the Friday show back
in May, took about a dozen attempts to go through. My girlfriend and I drove
in from Chicago, stood in line for ten hours, but it was all worth it. Best
40 dollars I've ever spent. (well ok... 80 :)

I cannot imagine what it would have been like had our show been cancelled,
and I sincerely feel bad for you guys that went Saturday. But I do think DB
really did loose his voice because it's been a while since he's done 25
songs live, and with that intensity. I can honestly say he went all out
Friday.

But I'm sure he'll be around again.

-Dan

One final note, the fans standing in line were some of the coolest people
I've ever met. We really enjoyed the whole experience. Keep the faith, he'll
be back!

Mistress Stardust

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
I remember when my band and i did a gig a about 4 months ago, we played lots
of songs and loud too, the next day i woke up and i couldnt speak one word,
nothing came out, voice loss is a very serious thing,
i dont think that MR Bowie would have cancelled if it wasnt serious.
Vicky

Kristin M Johnson

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
GEEK ALERT--I was in my high school chorus. After one particularly long
concert of classical vocal music (I think it was Handel's Messiah, or some
name similar), the next day my voice was all but gone. It was very
raspy--it was wierd. Next day, my voice was fine. so this stuff
happens--it's just this time, the timing was very, very bad.
Anyway, I heard Monday's show was also excellent, and his voice once again
in fine form.
Hopefully, there will be opportunities to see him again, just not as soon
as we'd like.
Just remember--just because he's got a new baby doesn't mean he doesn't
have bills to pay. Perhaps the Ziggy stage show?

NyQuil--the sniffling, sneezing, coughing,
who-the-hell-did-I-just-wake-up-next-to medicine

Dara O'Kearney

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
On 20 Jun 2000 15:23:41 GMT, my...@aol.com (MY37) wrote:

>Orac,
> Well, I didn't mean the price of tickets, I meant the people who
>spent a lot of money and got tickets from Ebay auctions, people who came from
>Europe who not only paid for tickets, but hotels, flight transportation, etc. I
>didn't pay anything close to what those people shelled out. I can only imagine
>the frustration and anger they're experiencing right now.

Yeah, it's a real shame for those people.

> But at least you've seen him in concert. I've waited 12 years to see
>him for my first time and I have no idea when he's going to be back in NYC
>again.

Next major tour at the latest, I imagine. When has New York not been
included on a major Bowie tour? The ratio of "No. of Bowie concerts in
a town" to "Number of Bowie fans in that town" for New York must be
one of the healthiest in the world. It's fans in places like Australia
I really feel sorry for - they haven't had a Bowie concert in almost
15 years. Or New Zealand - they were all set for Gisborne and then it
got cancelled.

>And I'm still wondering how severe could his voice loss have been if he
>had plenty of energy for Monday night's show?? Voice injury can be a quite
>serious thing and without proper rest and care, it can be damaged permanently.
>I guess David wasn't in that bad shape if he was able to sing 23 songs on
>Monday night.

I'm not sure. I'm prone to laryngitis myself and sometimes I can't
even get a croak out one day but the next day I'm almost fine.

I wasn't at the Bowienet show myself but friends who were say his
voice showed signs of being the worst for wear - he wasn't hit the
really high notes, or holding notes for very long.

Personally, I think he was voiceless on Saturday night. He's never
cancelled a show before due to illness in his very long career, and
has given many concerts where he had a bad cold or was hoarse, so I
don't think he's the kind of guy who would cancel a show lightly.

> I only hope Bowie returns to
>NYC soon. I think his not rescheduling is completely unfair.

Rescheduling wouldn't really help the people who spent a fortune
getting to the cancelled show - just the locals.

Slan leat,

Dara.

MY37

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
Dara,
I'm sure it wasn't taken lightly that he had to cancel for
Saturday, but even so, he recovered pretty quickly for Monday's concert. I
wonder if the special Bowienet concert was on that Saturday would he have still
canceled?? I bet you that one would've been rescheduled. I'm still a Bowie fan,
but I can honestly say I've lost some respect for him. I'm sorry to hear his
voice was lost, but maybe he should've done less songs, etc. and taken it easy
with his voice when he knew he had two concerts within the next few days.
As for Bowie concerts in Australia, didn't the Glass Spider Tour stop
there? w/b/s Melissa

JC

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00
"Dara O'Kearney" <dar...@iol.ie> wrote in message news:39510e24...@news.iol.ie...

> Rescheduling wouldn't really help the people who spent a fortune
> getting to the cancelled show - just the locals.

Whilst I agree with your comments on the rescheduling of the cancelled show. The question remains as to why only members of BowieNet who had tickets for the Saturday show, but none for the Monday, were allowed into the Monday show.

Surely anyone who had a ticket for the cancelled show should have been given the same opportunity to attend the Monday show, even if it was limited to a few hundred or so. A simple gesture that would have in some way compensated those fans who had travelled over from Europe at great expense.

A most blatant example of non-BowieNet subscribers being discriminated against. It's a different story though when any new product hits the shelves or are we approaching the scenario when only BowieNetters will deemed loyal enough to purchase the product exclusively through BowieNet.

A complete and utter public relations disaster that could have easily been avoided.. One can only hope, that perhaps, in the not too distant future, that Bowie will take this into account, and ensure that he does more European shows, even if that means ignoring the US, to compensate those fans who missed out on what would have been an fantastic show if Friday night's performance was anything to go by.

Beaver Fever

Jan 21, 2024, 12:29:45 AMJan 21
On Saturday, June 17, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jumbo wrote:
> In article <20000617174833...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,
> grum...@aol.com says...
> > Heard tonight was cancelled on WLIR. Is it true?
> >
> Yup, No rescheduled date, just refunds.... (just got off of the phone
> with Roseland)
> Sucks...

he fucking lived in New York he should have rescheduled