Bowie at the Universal Amphitheater

Dara O寐earney

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

Eva Crider wrote:

> On 25 Jul 1997, Dara O´Kearney wrote:
>
> > There's an interesting backlash going on amongst Monkees fans in
> > alt.music.monkees totheir lot being bumped in favour of Bowie
> > the UA (they were due to play there on October 13, but now Bowie
> > is playing there instead). Some of them are calling Bowie a "low
> > class less popular musician". They are even talking about pickets
> > and everything!
>
> How silly.
>
> But Teenage Wildlife says Sept.13th, doesn't it?

Oop, got my month's mixed up.

>Has Bowie announced any
> other US dates? <alright, I admit it, I don't give a damn unless he's
> announced a date within 3 hours of DC. :>

Not yet.

> > BTW, I thought Bowie was supposed to be playing very small venues
> > in the US. UA is not that small, is it?
>
> Dunno, 'cause I've never been to LA.
> Eva <who is now going to spend the next, oh two months or so worrying
> about when Bowie will hit the east coast. concentrating at work is so
> difficult>

He played the UA on the Diamond Dogs tour, so I'm guessing it ain't a
small club.

Slan leat,

Dara.

Dara O´Kearney

Eva Crider

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

On 25 Jul 1997, Dara O=B4Kearney wrote:

> There's an interesting backlash going on amongst Monkees fans in=20
> alt.music.monkees totheir lot being bumped in favour of Bowie=20
> the UA (they were due to play there on October 13, but now Bowie=20
> is playing there instead). Some of them are calling Bowie a "low=20
> class less popular musician". They are even talking about pickets=20
> and everything!=20

How silly.

But Teenage Wildlife says Sept.13th, doesn't it? Has Bowie announced any

other US dates? <alright, I admit it, I don't give a damn unless he's
announced a date within 3 hours of DC. :>

> BTW, I thought Bowie was supposed to be playing very small venues=20

> in the US. UA is not that small, is it?

Dunno, 'cause I've never been to LA. =20

--
Eva Crider cri...@obscure.org

And I'm not seized in desperation/ No steel reproaches on the table from
before/ But I still can feel those splinters of ice/ I look through the
eyes of a stranger. --Duran Duran, The Seventh Stranger

Vampyre

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

Can't we just ignore them? They bitched so much the last time when the
wicked witch made them kidnap that little girl from Oz.

Dara O寐earney <07031280...@t-online.de> wrote in article
<5ranbo$h55$1...@news01.btx.dtag.de>...
:
: BTW, I thought Bowie was supposed to be playing very small venues
: in the US. UA is not that small, is it?
:
: Slan libh,
:
: Dara.
:

Rod Rooter

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

>From: 07031280...@t-online.de (Dara O寐earney)

>There's an interesting backlash going on amongst Monkees fans in
>alt.music.monkees totheir lot being bumped in favour of Bowie
>the UA (they were due to play there on October 13, but now Bowie
>is playing there instead). Some of them are calling Bowie a "low
>class less popular musician". They are even talking about pickets
>and everything!

Gosh, I hope they picket. That'd make for an interesting news story.

>BTW, I thought Bowie was supposed to be playing very small venues
>in the US. UA is not that small, is it?

It seats about 6,000 people and tends to have expensive tickets. Hardly matters I guess, I'll be there no matter what it costs.

>Slan libh,
>
>Dara.

Dick Mac

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Yeah! UA is bigger than I anticipated for this new tour, but maybe he's
testing the waters in finicky LA, before determining venues for the hipper
parts of the county (i.e., anywhere east of Utah -- sorry, Seattle). What
can you say for a city that would host a Monkees picket-line against a db
show? I wonder what the truth is about UA canceling the Monkees? I doubt
that db has the pull to get someone else's show cancelled.
I'm hoping that when he comes to Boston, he plays a small theatre
(Orpheum), as he did with Tin Machine; or a large club (Avalon), as he did
for the pre-Earthling Ballroom shows.
--
Dick Mac (alive!)
http://www.netcom.com/~dick.mac

Dara O´Kearney <07031280...@t-online.de> wrote in article

: There's an interesting backlash going on amongst Monkees fans in
[snip]
: class less popular musician". They are even talking about pickets
:
: BTW, I thought Bowie was supposed to be playing very small venues

Dara O寐earney

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Dick Mac wrote:

> Yeah! UA is bigger than I anticipated for this new tour, but maybe he's
> testing the waters in finicky LA, before determining venues for the hipper
> parts of the county (i.e., anywhere east of Utah -- sorry, Seattle). What
> can you say for a city that would host a Monkees picket-line against a db
> show? I wonder what the truth is about UA canceling the Monkees? I doubt
> that db has the pull to get someone else's show cancelled.

I also doubt he'd want to use it even if he had. The likeliest
explanation
in my opinion (and admittedly as far removed from LA as I am) is that
Bowie's management enquired if the UA might be available that day
(without
even realising the Monkees had booked it), and the UA jumped at what
they
saw as a surer sell-out bet (I'm told the Monkees tour is not exactly
doing
the hottest business).

Slan libh,

Dara.

Tura

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

"Dick Mac" <dick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Yeah! UA is bigger than I anticipated for this new tour, but maybe he's
>testing the waters in finicky LA, before determining venues for the hipper
>parts of the county (i.e., anywhere east of Utah -- sorry, Seattle).

That's what I'm hoping too....

What
>can you say for a city that would host a Monkees picket-line against a db
>show?

I tend to doubt that LA would host a Monkees picket line ; ) Who knows
though... stranger things have happened.

I wonder what the truth is about UA canceling the Monkees? I doubt
>that db has the pull to get someone else's show cancelled.

>I'm hoping that when he comes to Boston, he plays a small theatre
>(Orpheum), as he did with Tin Machine; or a large club (Avalon), as he did
>for the pre-Earthling Ballroom shows.

He seems to know that he got great response to the ballroom shows,
with all the shows selling out within the hour, and the birthday bash
still wasn't a sell out to the last minute. Wouldn't it be a better
idea to do mostly smaller shows with a few larger venues (in bigger
cities) interspersed throughout?

Ah well...

>Dara O寐earney <07031280...@t-online.de> wrote in article

Vampyre

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

Tura <s...@interport.net> wrote in article
<5rj57n$5na$1...@broadway.interport.net>...
: "Dick Mac" <dick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
:
: What

: >can you say for a city that would host a Monkees picket-line against a
db
: >show?
:
: I tend to doubt that LA would host a Monkees picket line ; ) Who knows
: though... stranger things have happened.

Like maybe a Monkees Chorus Line?

Eva Crider

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Tura wrote:

> He seems to know that he got great response to the ballroom shows,
> with all the shows selling out within the hour, and the birthday bash
> still wasn't a sell out to the last minute. Wouldn't it be a better
> idea to do mostly smaller shows with a few larger venues (in bigger
> cities) interspersed throughout?

I do feel the need to point out that the DC show did not sell out in an
hour. But that's because the promoter here told Ticketmaster the tix went
on sale on Saturday, then put them on sale Friday morning (with only a
days warning). This made it MUCH easier to get tickets, and made me feel
very silly for worrying so much about it...

But I digress. I would LOVE it if Bowie played Cap Ballrom again...

Dick Mac

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

Tura <s...@interport.net> wrote in article
<5rj57n$5na$1...@broadway.interport.net>...

: He seems to know that he got great response to the ballroom shows,

: with all the shows selling out within the hour, and the birthday bash
: still wasn't a sell out to the last minute. Wouldn't it be a better
: idea to do mostly smaller shows with a few larger venues (in bigger
: cities) interspersed throughout?
:

I have been a db fan since 1972 (I was 14 yrs old then). I have watched
his shows do the whole gamut: from theatres to arenas to stadia to
theatres to clubs. db's shows are always best in theatres. Personally, I
am sick of getting seats in Section 96 of Madison Square Garden (or the
like), behind the sound equipment and video cameras, or in a seat three
blocks from the show. I'm not interested in a mosh pit. I would like to
buy a ticket that assigns me to a seat with a view of a stage upon which db
is performing. I'm hoping a theatre for Boston and/or New York.

Toni Engle

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

re: Small Venues MH 6906

Just bring db to my house and we'll listen to him here!!!
My son has a music studio here so the band won't even need to bring
instruments.
Just keep it quiet so we don't get mobbed !!!

AJ

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

Is the UA show in California the only one that has gone on sale so far?

Adam

Adam J. Cook

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

Are tickets on sale yet? Ticketmaster doesn't have any Bowie dates in
it's database?

Adam

MH 6906

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

>>"Dick Mac" <dick...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

<<Yeah! UA is bigger than I anticipated for this new tour, but maybe he's
testing the waters in finicky LA, before determining venues for the hipper

parts of the county (i.e., anywhere east of Utah -- sorry, Seattle). ...
<snip> ... I'm hoping that when he comes to Boston, he plays a small

theatre (Orpheum), as he did with Tin Machine; or a large club (Avalon),
as he did for the pre-Earthling Ballroom shows.>>

I whole-heartedly second that motion!!!! Small venues!!! Up close and
personal (so to speak ;-) ... the only way to experience David!

MH 6906 -- CT

Eva Crider

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, AJ wrote:

> Is the UA show in California the only one that has gone on sale so far?
>
> Adam

AS of this morning (as far as I know) none of the other dates have been
confirmed. They're just our well-connected Bonster's rumors.

Kathleen

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Eva Crider wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, AJ wrote:
>
> > Is the UA show in California the only one that has gone on sale so far?
> >
> > Adam
> >

> AS of this morning (as far as I know) none of the other dates have been
> confirmed. They're just our well-connected Bonster's rumors.
>
>I'm going to Detroit and Chicago, so now it will be everyone elses turn to be jealous of ME instead of the other way around all the time!!!! YAAAHHH!!! HEHAHEHAHEHA!! I can't wait!
I just know he's going to play someplace sucky though. Oh well, better
than nothing.
Kathleen

Dbfan

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.97072...@tiamat.obscure.org>,
Eva Crider <cri...@tiamat.obscure.org> writes:

>I do feel the need to point out that the DC show did not sell out in an
>hour. But that's because the promoter here told Ticketmaster the tix
went
>on sale on Saturday, then put them on sale Friday morning (with only a
>days warning). This made it MUCH easier to get tickets, and made me feel
>very silly for worrying so much about it...
>
>But I digress. I would LOVE it if Bowie played Cap Ballrom again...

Not only that, but scalpers were selling at below face cause the demand
wasn't there.....

Bonster

Eva Crider

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

On 31 Jul 1997, Dbfan wrote:

> Not only that, but scalpers were selling at below face cause the demand
> wasn't there.....
>
> Bonster

To which one can only reply: What is wrong with my city?

Francia Doyle

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

Dick Mac wrote:

> Yeah! UA is bigger than I anticipated for this new tour, but maybe he's
> testing the waters in finicky LA, before determining venues for the hipper
> parts of the county (i.e., anywhere east of Utah -- sorry, Seattle).

If he has to play a bigger venue, UA is a good choice; But I was kind
of hoping for the Wiltern Theatre, smaller and really nice. As for your
comment about us Angelinos...Ouch!!!

--Francia

Toni Engle

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

Francia There's nothing wrong with being finicky---- It just makes
you particular about your tastes!!

Evidently it's ok with db-- he's coming there isn't he???

Wish he'd come here !!!!!

Adam J. Cook

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

Are these tour dates we have so far all that will be, or are there
likely to be more added?

Adam

Dara O寐earney

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

You never know, but the likelihood is that's it. It's possible
additional
shows might be added in cities where the tickets sell out fast (this
happened in Europe, in Dublin and London). Less likely that any other
'new'
cities will be added.

But you never know.

Latest rumors suggest that after the US Tour, Australasia, Japan and
maybe
Hong Kong are next, for November/December. And Bowie has suggested in
interviews here in Europe that he wants the tour to end in South Africa.

Branash24

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

DAMN YOU ALL!! Well, not literally that is. Since I'm in Dallas, the
closest shows will either be Colorado or Atlanta. Both are 6+ hour drives
and without a car it's MUCH further! :)

If anyone would be interested in buying 2 concert T's (with money I send,
of course) please e-mail me!!

Ashlie
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/4438

Beaver...@live.com