Linda Tripp, whistleblower in Clinton-Lewinsky sex scandal, dead at 70

Leroy N. Soetoro

Apr 9, 2020, 12:06:26 AM4/9/20
https://nypost.com/2020/04/08/linda-tripp-whistleblower-in-lewinsky-
scandal-near-death/

Linda Tripp, whose secret conversations with former White House intern
Monica Lewinsky led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton in 1998,
died on Wednesday, her son-in-law told The Post. She was 70.

Tripp has been seriously ill and on her deathbed Tuesday night, according
to a Facebook posting by her daughter.

“My mommy is leaving this earth. I don’t know myself if I can survive this
heartache. Please pray for a painless process for the strongest woman I
will ever know in my entire lifetime,” Allison Tripp Foley posted on
Facebook late Tuesday, adding that she was at her 70-year-old mother’s
bedside. Her profile was later made private.

Tripp’s son-in-law, Thomas Foley, told The Post on Wednesday afternoon
that she had passed. Her illness was unrelated to the coronavirus, he
said.

“Look it’s hard to talk right now. Linda has passed on,” Foley said.

“She fought on as hard as she could. We just have to let all the grandkids
know as it was so sudden.”

“I know all the press will focus on the other stuff but she was a special
person and a fantastic grandparent who was devoted to her family,” Foley
added. “People forget this part.”

Lewinsky expressed concern for Tripp and her family.

“no matter the past, upon hearing that linda tripp is very seriously ill,
i hope for her recovery. i can’t imagine how difficult this is for her
family,” Lewinsky wrote in a tweet after news broke that Tripp was dying.

Tripp, who has been called a “whistleblower” for revealing the
relationship between Clinton and Lewinsky, defended herself against the
allegations in 2018, saying she regretted “not having the guts to do it
sooner.”

“It was always about right and wrong, never left and right,” Tripp told
the Washington Post in an interview. “It was about exposing perjury and
the obstruction of justice,” she continued. “It was never about politics.”

Tripp was a civil servant in the Pentagon when she became close to the
then-22-year-old Lewinsky, who also worked in the public affairs office.

During their conversations, Lewinsky revealed that she had a physical
relationship with Clinton when she was a White House intern, and Tripp
began to secretly record their talks.

Tripp also encouraged Lewinsky to document her relationship with the
president.

Tripp turned the tapes over to then-independent counsel Kenneth Starr in
exchange for immunity from illegal wiretapping charges.

She also told Starr about a key piece of evidence — the semen-stained navy
blue dress Lewinsky said she wore during a sex act.

Lewinsky had shown Tripp the dress and she encouraged her to keep it and
not have it dry cleaned.

Using the information on Tripp’s recordings, Starr got approval from then-
Attorney General Janet Reno and the special court overseeing the
independent counsel to expand the investigation into the relationship
between Lewinsky and the president.

Tripp also turned the tapes over to the attorneys in Paula Jones’ sexual
harassment case against Clinton.

Lewinsky’s conversations laid the groundwork for the perjury charges
against Clinton, who had denied the affair.

He was impeached by the House in December 1998 but was acquitted by the
Senate in 1999.

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

queer liberal democrat donors.

President Trump has boosted the economy, reduced illegal immigration,
appointed dozens of judges and created jobs.

Senile loser and NAMBLA supporter Nancy Pelosi got "Trumped" on February
5, 2020. "President Trump, Not Guilty."