UMSCRIBE - Sir Clive

Jenny Telia

Sep 21, 2021, 4:01:30 AM9/21/21

The inventor of ZX 80 computer, the C5 electric scooter, the Sinclair
pocket calculator and others, has passed away.

The C5 never went anywhere. One of his calculators exploded near me in
engineering class (overheating capacitor). I owned one of his computers
(Spectrum) for a while.

I'm sorry he passed away, he had an inquiring mind. I'm not so sure
about his inventions, though. Best gone, I'd say.

Rick B.

Sep 21, 2021, 5:46:27 AM9/21/21
Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com> wrote in news:iqthqoFj29pU1
@mid.individual.net:

> The inventor of ZX 80 computer, the C5 electric scooter, the Sinclair
> pocket calculator and others, has passed away.
>
> The C5 never went anywhere.

Which sounds like a fatal flaw for a transportation device.

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2021, 11:50:11 PM9/22/21
What does "UMSCRIBE" mean? I've seen this enough times, but have yet to
figure it out.

Snidely

Sep 23, 2021, 12:14:37 AM9/23/21
Michael Trew scribbled something on Wednesday the 9/22/2021:
> What does "UMSCRIBE" mean? I've seen this enough times, but have yet to
> figure it out.

It's an AFCA meme, going back into the dark ages. Google Groups seems
to limit "the past" to about the year 2000, so good luck finding the
first use.

In this case, Sir Clive Sinclair has unsubscribed to The Earthly
Present. He has fallen off the roof, in reference to an old joke not
unique to AFCA.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.

CDB

Sep 23, 2021, 9:35:51 AM9/23/21
On 9/23/2021 12:14 AM, Snidely wrote:
> Michael Trew scribbled something on Wednesday the 9/22/2021:

>> What does "UMSCRIBE" mean? I've seen this enough times, but have
>> yet to figure it out.

> It's an AFCA meme, going back into the dark ages. Google Groups
> seems to limit "the past" to about the year 2000, so good luck
> finding the first use.

> In this case, Sir Clive Sinclair has unsubscribed to The Earthly
> Present. He has fallen off the roof, in reference to an old joke
> not unique to AFCA.

I have always thought it was from German, something like "umschreiben"
(which might sometimes be translated as "sum up", according to
Wordreference).

Draw a circle round him thrice,
For he has et his earthly bread
And now drinks beer in paradise.

--
Oh look, there's me coat.

Snidely

Sep 23, 2021, 10:35:40 AM9/23/21
on 9/23/2021, CDB supposed :
That's a good one, but apparently the meme started with a spelling
error.

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

Jenny Telia

Sep 24, 2021, 6:38:34 AM9/24/21
On 23/09/2021 06:14, Snidely wrote:
> Michael Trew  scribbled something on Wednesday the 9/22/2021:
>> What does "UMSCRIBE" mean?  I've seen this enough times, but have yet
>> to figure it out.
>
> It's an AFCA meme, going back into the dark ages.  Google Groups seems
> to limit "the past" to about the year 2000, so good luck finding the
> first use.
>
> In this case, Sir Clive Sinclair has unsubscribed to The Earthly
> Present.  He has fallen off the roof, in reference to an old joke not
> unique to AFCA.

Or, to quote the Monthy Python parrot sketch:

"This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to
meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you
hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is
metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and
joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!"

CDB

Sep 24, 2021, 9:50:10 AM9/24/21
On 9/23/2021 10:35 AM, Snidely wrote:
> CDB supposed :
>> Snidely wrote:
>>> Michael Trew scribbled:

>>> It's an AFCA meme, going back into the dark ages. Google Groups
>>> seems to limit "the past" to about the year 2000, so good luck
>>> finding the first use.

>>> In this case, Sir Clive Sinclair has unsubscribed to The Earthly
>>> Present. He has fallen off the roof, in reference to an old
>>> joke not unique to AFCA.

>> I have always thought it was from German, something like
>> "umschreiben" (which might sometimes be translated as "sum up",
>> according to Wordreference).

>> Draw a circle round him thrice, For he has et his earthly bread And
>> now drinks beer in paradise.

> That's a good one, but apparently the meme started with a spelling
> error.

"Kubla"?

Or "et"? I'm pretty sure Coleridge would have said it that way,
although writing it as 'eat". I changed the spelling to make it clearer
to North Americans.

Meme?

Snidely

Sep 24, 2021, 1:51:51 PM9/24/21
on 9/24/2021, CDB supposed :
> On 9/23/2021 10:35 AM, Snidely wrote:
>> CDB supposed :

>>> I have always thought it was from German, something like
>>> "umschreiben" (which might sometimes be translated as "sum up",
>>> according to Wordreference).
>
>>> Draw a circle round him thrice, For he has et his earthly bread And
>>> now drinks beer in paradise.
>
>> That's a good one, but apparently the meme started with a spelling
>> error.
>
> "Kubla"?

No, in the subject line.

> Or "et"? I'm pretty sure Coleridge would have said it that way,
> although writing it as 'eat". I changed the spelling to make it clearer
> to North Americans.
>
> Meme?

It's a little presumptious to call a local custom a meme, but
historially AFCA is full of presumption and assumption.

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the

Michael Trew

Sep 24, 2021, 5:36:13 PM9/24/21
On 9/23/2021 12:14 AM, Snidely wrote:
> Michael Trew scribbled something on Wednesday the 9/22/2021:
>> What does "UMSCRIBE" mean? I've seen this enough times, but have yet
>> to figure it out.
>
> It's an AFCA meme, going back into the dark ages. Google Groups seems to
> limit "the past" to about the year 2000, so good luck finding the first
> use.
>
> In this case, Sir Clive Sinclair has unsubscribed to The Earthly
> Present. He has fallen off the roof, in reference to an old joke not
> unique to AFCA.
>
> /dps

Ah, thanks.

I've never used Google Groups before; I have no clue how it works. I've
seen people dredge up threads from the late 80's via GG before, so I
suppose it depends on the group? Perhaps ALT has different retention
from the big 8?

Snidely

Sep 25, 2021, 12:40:13 AM9/25/21
Remember when Michael Trew bragged outrageously? That was Friday:
GG used to go Way Back; that's what they bought Deja News for. But
keeping '80s and '90s posts in live storage to be looked at maybe a
couple of times a year doesn't seem to be a primary goal anymore. The
last time I successfully went back that far, AFCA was getting around
100 posts a day, and in-group searches were much more frequent.

We used to have a contributor who had a complete archive, but that
ended with his demise and the idea of finding another poster who would
be interested in the particular disk probably didn't occur to the
family members.

That contributor was one of our sailboat story-tellers, and that too is
missed.

/dps "apples and pears to make us all merry, the bit missed is a
Solent"

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

occam

Sep 25, 2021, 8:30:02 AM9/25/21
Q1- "sailboat story-tellers"? Is this an alternate euphemism for
fisherman's tales?

Q2- 'family members'. Is this referring to his immediate family the AFCA
'family' (a bit like the 'Committee' in AUE)?

CDB

Sep 25, 2021, 10:41:43 AM9/25/21
On 9/24/2021 1:51 PM, Snidely wrote:
> CDB supposed :
>> Snidely wrote:
>>> CDB supposed :

>>> That's a good one, but apparently the meme started with a
>>> spelling error.

>> "Kubla"?

> No, in the subject line.

Ah, thanks. Ben trovato, though, IMO.

Boron Elgar

Sep 25, 2021, 10:57:15 AM9/25/21
We had a couple of posters who were very knowledgeable about sailing
and had done their share

>Q2- 'family members'. Is this referring to his immediate family the AFCA
>'family' (a bit like the 'Committee' in AUE)?

Family members, such as those related to the deceased.