Best Cheese for Pizza Fights?

Howard

Oct 2, 2021, 11:51:33 PM10/2/21
Nothing in this modern day seems to be without controversy, but I seem to
be struggling to find much debate that Mozzarella is the best base cheese
for pizza.

There seem to be some who say that a bit of Parmesan or other cheese
belongs in the mix alongside a large amount of Mozzarella. A small minority
pushes for cheeses like Feta, but it's a very small minority.

Is there in fact a much more intense fight that I found in my quick poke at
Google and Bing and Duck Duck Go? Or is there an unusual degree of
uniformity that Mozzarella is the only way to go, in contrast to the way
people will fight to the death over Chicago Deep Dish vs. NYC vs.
Neapolitan, Ali vs. Tyson vs. Louis, or Scorcese vs. Renoir vs. Spielberg?

Boron Elgar

Oct 3, 2021, 9:11:38 AM10/3/21
On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 03:51:31 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
wrote:
You can use any cheese you want and call the round food anything you
want. Vast majority is mozzarella. In St. Louis, I believe they prefer
a cheese called "Provel." Never had it, so cannot comment.

https://cheese.com/provel/

The biggest choices are WITHIN mozzarella types- You can buy full fat
or skim, pre-shredded, cow or buffalo, firm blocks, or freshly made
and soft, among others. You can get enough variability with just
mozzarella rather than add in other cheeses to the fight.

Bob

Oct 3, 2021, 2:29:22 PM10/3/21
The subject line made me envision people slinging pizzas as weapons, like a food fight
broke out at a pizzeria, but On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 11:51:33 PM UTC-4, Howard wrote:

> Nothing in this modern day seems to be without controversy, but I seem to
> be struggling to find much debate that Mozzarella is the best base cheese
> for pizza.
>
> There seem to be some who say that a bit of Parmesan or other cheese
> belongs in the mix alongside a large amount of Mozzarella. A small minority
> pushes for cheeses like Feta, but it's a very small minority.

You can make Mexican pizza without mozzarella, but it's a different kind of pie.
To make regular pizza pizza, at a bare minimum you need 40% of the cheese in it
to be mozz, and if you have it even that low you'd better use a lot of another low-
melting cheese in the mix. But I hardly ever make it 100% mozz, that's no fun.

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2021, 8:34:13 PM10/3/21
On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 9:51:33 PM UTC-6, Howard wrote:
> Nothing in this modern day seems to be without controversy, but I seem to
> be struggling to find much debate that Mozzarella is the best base cheese
> for pizza.

Oh, thought this was about what cheese is the best to use if you plan to get into a fight with Pizza as a weapon.

Boron Elgar

Oct 3, 2021, 9:52:03 PM10/3/21
Put down the Frisbee, Artie.

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2021, 9:30:15 PM10/4/21
But they make good plates for pizza! I may have played my last Ultimate game. My ankle is messed up.

Boron Elgar

Oct 4, 2021, 9:56:44 PM10/4/21
On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 18:30:14 -0700 (PDT), "art...@yahoo.com"
<art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 8:52:03 PM UTC-5, Boron wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:34:12 -0700 (PDT), "art...@yahoo.com"
>> <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >Oh, thought this was about what cheese is the best to use if you plan to get into a fight with Pizza as a weapon.
>> Put down the Frisbee, Artie.
>
>But they make good plates for pizza!

Low heat....

>I may have played my last Ultimate game. My ankle is messed up.

Ouch. Sorry to hear it. Mine was sliced up and useless for much of the
summer. It is almost back to normal now. I hope yours recovers.

Michael Trew

Oct 4, 2021, 11:41:02 PM10/4/21
Most say that firm Mozzarella is best.. I'm partial to soft "fresh"
mozzarella on Margherita pizza.

The old Chef Boyardee pizza kits came with a packet of Parmesan cheese,
and that was all they suggested using in the 70's. They still come with
a small pack, but most people add mozzarella to it.

Bob

Oct 5, 2021, 12:40:16 AM10/5/21
The only way parmesan powder works as a lone cheese under normal baking conditions is if it sinks to the bottom of the sauce. Otherwise it burns.

Questor

Oct 5, 2021, 2:11:00 AM10/5/21
On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 03:51:31 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com> wrote:
>Nothing in this modern day seems to be without controversy, but I seem to
>be struggling to find much debate that Mozzarella is the best base cheese
>for pizza.

Mozzeralla -- The first, best, and only cheese for true pizza.

>There seem to be some who say that a bit of Parmesan or other cheese
>belongs in the mix alongside a large amount of Mozzarella. A small minority
>pushes for cheeses like Feta, but it's a very small minority.

Sure, sprinkle some parmesan on your pizza, but it's not used in any quantity.

I have experienced travesties committed in the name of pizza in New England, but
I will not speak of them here. (shudder)

>Is there in fact a much more intense fight that I found in my quick poke at
>Google and Bing and Duck Duck Go?

Does everything have to be controversial?

--
On the verge of a nervous breakdown, I decided to fight right to the end
But if I ever get my money, I'll be too old and grey to spend it

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 5, 2021, 5:09:38 AM10/5/21
On Tue, 05 Oct 2021 06:12:18 GMT
use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 03:51:31 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
> wrote:
> >Nothing in this modern day seems to be without controversy, but I
> >seem to be struggling to find much debate that Mozzarella is the
> >best base cheese for pizza.
[]

> Does everything have to be controversial?

I disagree.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Boron Elgar

Oct 5, 2021, 9:18:51 AM10/5/21
On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:09:37 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:
Can you quote sources for that?

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 5, 2021, 11:42:09 AM10/5/21
It's OK when I run. I hurts when I stop. I have been battling this for over a year. Did some physical therapy. Didn't help much. Started running again and was doing well, but then went back to our gym when it opened and did something....

Howard

Oct 5, 2021, 11:46:06 AM10/5/21

:
>>[]
>>>
>>> Does everything have to be controversial?
>>
>>I disagree.
>
> Can you quote sources for that?

Actually, the real controversy is....

Boron Elgar

Oct 5, 2021, 12:47:57 PM10/5/21
On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:46:04 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
wrote:
Slippery slope! Slippery slope!

Questor

Oct 6, 2021, 1:27:32 AM10/6/21
"Look, if I argue with you, I must take a contrary position."

"Yes, but that's not just saying, 'no it isn't'."

"Yes it is."

"No it isn't!"

--
Uncle Rufus grew his nose, threw away his circus clothes
Cousin Silas grew a beard, drew another flask of weird

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 6, 2021, 4:23:40 AM10/6/21
On Wed, 06 Oct 2021 05:28:52 GMT
use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:09:37 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John"
> <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> >On Tue, 05 Oct 2021 06:12:18 GMT use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
> >>Does everything have to be controversial?
> >
> >I disagree.
>
> "Look, if I argue with you, I must take a contrary position."
>
> "Yes, but that's not just saying, 'no it isn't'."
>
> "Yes it is."
>
> "No it isn't!"

"Lovely plumage"

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 6, 2021, 8:49:34 AM10/6/21
And now my wrist hurts when I use the computer. Some type of repetitive use disorder? The symptoms don't seem like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Uggh.

Howard

Oct 6, 2021, 12:58:25 PM10/6/21
"art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote

> It's OK when I run. I hurts when I stop. I have been battling this for
> over a year. Did some physical therapy. Didn't help much. Started
> running again and was doing well, but then went back to our gym when
> it opened and did something....

I found that when I dumped New Balance shoes for running and switched to
Brooks my feet and knees felt about a million times better. Obviously this
varies from person to person, but it sure seems to me like New Balance
grossly overengineers their shoes and guarantees that some part of you is
going to be twisted the wrong way.

Linda Howard

Oct 6, 2021, 6:13:20 PM10/6/21
He doesn't need sources because its true.

Boron Elgar

Oct 6, 2021, 8:28:48 PM10/6/21
Straw man.

Snidely

Oct 6, 2021, 9:18:29 PM10/6/21
Remember when Boron Elgar bragged outrageously? That was Tuesday:
I sense a volcanic attitude.

/dps

--
Yes, I have had a cucumber soda. Why do you ask?

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 7, 2021, 3:41:11 AM10/7/21
On Wed, 06 Oct 2021 20:28:47 -0400
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 15:13:19 -0700 (PDT), Linda Howard
> <tedth...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 8:18:51 AM UTC-5, Boron wrote:

[irrelevant bit about cheese]

> >> Can you quote sources for that?
> >
> >He doesn't need sources because its true.
>
> Straw man.

I've received overwhelming support by email.

Boron Elgar

Oct 7, 2021, 9:25:23 AM10/7/21
On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 08:41:10 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Oct 2021 20:28:47 -0400
>Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 15:13:19 -0700 (PDT), Linda Howard
>> <tedth...@aol.com> wrote:

>[irrelevant bit about cheese]

>> >He doesn't need sources because its true.
>>
>> Straw man.
>>
>I've received overwhelming support by email.

I concede, sir.

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 7, 2021, 12:45:22 PM10/7/21
Well shoes were a big part of the problem since after I had been running awhile I got some new shoes and suddenly my feet swelled up. And they were New Balance. Then I got better using Saucony but then I went to the gym and things got worse...

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 7, 2021, 4:15:37 PM10/7/21
On Thu, 07 Oct 2021 09:25:21 -0400
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 08:41:10 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 06 Oct 2021 20:28:47 -0400
> >Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >[irrelevant bit about cheese]

> >> Straw man.
> >>
> >I've received overwhelming support by email.
>
> I concede, sir.

No, no, that was never 5 minutes!

Howard

Oct 7, 2021, 8:15:47 PM10/7/21
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> I've received overwhelming support by email.

I'm a trained economist.

Howard

Oct 7, 2021, 8:18:37 PM10/7/21
"art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote :

> On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 10:58:25 AM UTC-6, Howard wrote:

>> "art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> I found that when I dumped New Balance shoes for running and switched
>> to Brooks my feet and knees felt about a million times better.
>> Obviously this varies from person to person, but it sure seems to me
>> like New Balance grossly overengineers their shoes and guarantees
>> that some part of you is going to be twisted the wrong way.
>
> Well shoes were a big part of the problem since after I had been
> running awhile I got some new shoes and suddenly my feet swelled up.
> And they were New Balance. Then I got better using Saucony but then I
> went to the gym and things got worse...

I am going on nothing but anecdotal evidence, but I think New Balance
has a contract with the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons where
they get a $100 bonus for every patient they create.

Boron Elgar

Oct 7, 2021, 8:53:52 PM10/7/21
On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:15:45 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
wrote:

>"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote
>
>> I've received overwhelming support by email.
>
>I'm a trained economist.

Wilson! The mind boggles.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 8, 2021, 8:05:55 AM10/8/21
On Thu, 07 Oct 2021 20:53:50 -0400
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:15:45 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote
> >
> >> I've received overwhelming support by email.
> >
> >I'm a trained economist.

Gawd, that's an olde.

> Wilson! The mind boggles.

Wasn't that the name of the basket?ball that kept Chuck Nolan (Tom
Hanks) company?

Boron Elgar

Oct 8, 2021, 9:05:51 AM10/8/21
On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 13:05:53 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:
It was, but the Wilson who posted here was not nearly as smart.

Tim Wright

Oct 8, 2021, 10:24:30 AM10/8/21

Howard

Oct 8, 2021, 9:35:56 PM10/8/21
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:15:45 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>

>>I'm a trained economist.
>
> Wilson! The mind boggles.

Wilson being Wilson never made him happy. I think he could even tell by the
end where it was leading him, but he could never let it go. He had to hate
certain things, and simply couldn't figure out another way.

occam

Oct 17, 2021, 7:10:58 AM10/17/21
On 03/10/2021 05:51, Howard wrote:
> Nothing in this modern day seems to be without controversy, but I seem to
> be struggling to find much debate that Mozzarella is the best base cheese
> for pizza.
>
> There seem to be some who say that a bit of Parmesan or other cheese
> belongs in the mix alongside a large amount of Mozzarella. A small minority
> pushes for cheeses like Feta, but it's a very small minority.

If you swap 'halloumi' for 'feta', you can count me in amongst the
minority. Pizza cheese must be stretchy-stringy (when hot). Feta will
never do that, but halloumi will. But pizza is Italian, so it goes with
mozzarella, (like coke goes with rum, and gin goes with tonic).