music on the de beers commercial?

Ruvain Gittelman

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
what is the music used in the commercial for de beers? its a jewlery
commercial, with a woman and a man in shadow. its some kind of classical
thing, maybe vivaldi?

Bill Baldwin

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
Lalbert1 wrote:
>Yes, Vivaldi. It's adapted from a section of "The Four Seasons". I think
The
>Summer.

Nope. It's apparently supposed to sound like Vivaldi. (It doesn't to me, but
it does to a lot of people.) It's a piece called "Diamond Music" by Karl
Jenkins from his "Palladio" Suite, available on Sony. You can get it through
BMG

http://www.bmgmusicservice.com/

But if you like that stuff, Ruvain, you might be well advised to get actual
Vivaldi -- say The Four Seasons or the Concerto Alla Rustica. For an even
better upgrade, try the Bach Brandenburg Concertoes. Any of these with
Trevor Pinnock conducting the English Concert is quite lovely.

Lalbert1

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
>what is the music used in the commercial for de beers? its a jewlery
>commercial, with a woman and a man in shadow. its some kind of classical
>thing, maybe vivaldi?

Yes, Vivaldi. It's adapted from a section of "The Four Seasons". I think The
Summer.

Les

kay w

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
Ruvain Gittelman wrote:
>what is the music used in the commercial for de beers? its a jewlery
>commercial, with a woman and a man in shadow. its some kind of classical
>thing, maybe vivaldi?

Don't know about the music, but I've probably complained here about those
commercials before. When they first came on, and the actors were ONLY shown as
shadows, I remember thinking what a clever, clever move that was....eliminating
most of the clues that might alienate part of the audience! These shadows
could be any race, any age, almost any shape, and still the commercial could
speak to them.
Over the last year, de Beers ruined them by including the actors' faces...and
it turns out diamonds are for rich, thin, blue-eyed white people after all.
What a dumb move.
kay w

Mike Pollock

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Right. Here's the info from the FAQ on the De Beers website at
http://www.adiamondisforever.com

6. I would like to buy the CD of the music from the De Beers TV commercials.
Where can I find it?

The CD is called Diamond Music and is produced by Karl Jenkins and
distributed by Sony Classical Music. It is available at most major music
stores. For more information and a picture of the CD, click here.
http://www.adiamondisforever.com/F/f6e.htm

Bill Baldwin <ju...@micronet.net> wrote in message

100y...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2017, 5:47:20 PM2/28/17
On Sunday, June 13, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Ruvain Gittelman wrote:
> what is the music used in the commercial for de beers? its a jewlery
> commercial, with a woman and a man in shadow. its some kind of classical
> thing, maybe vivaldi?

It is very similar to:
Le quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons), Op. 8 - Concerto No. 4 in F Minor, RV 297, "L'inverno" (Winter): I. Allegro non molto by Antonio Vivaldi

Opus the Penguin

Feb 28, 2017, 6:37:04 PM2/28/17
Why is this showing up now? Anyway, it's movement 1 of the Palladio Suite
by Karl Jenkins, just like the last 573,288 times someone asked.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

Snidely

Mar 1, 2017, 12:53:32 AM3/1/17
Opus the Penguin was thinking very hard :
Shows up on Requests at Noon frequently enough, too.

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.

snide...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2017, 4:35:04 PM3/1/17
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9:53:32 PM UTC-8, Snidely wrote:
> Opus the Penguin was thinking very hard :
> > 100y...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> It is very similar to:
> >> Le quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons), Op. 8 - Concerto No. 4 in F
> >> Minor, RV 297, "L'inverno" (Winter): I. Allegro non molto by Antonio
> >> Vivaldi
> >>

> > Why is this showing up now? Anyway, it's movement 1 of the Palladio Suite
> > by Karl Jenkins, just like the last 573,288 times someone asked.
>
> Shows up on Requests at Noon frequently enough, too.

And as they say in the playlist,

alladio (Diamond Music) Karl Jenkins
Karl Jenkins / London Philharmonic Strings SONY 62276

<URL:http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Playlist?source=KUSC&composer=Karl%20Jenkins&work=Palladio%20%28Diamond%20Music%29&label=SONY&catalog=62276>

/dps

snide...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2017, 3:07:19 PM3/21/17
The other piece by Jenkins that I've heard (just recently)
is the /Agnus Dei/ from _The Armed Man - A Mass For Peace_

(National Youth Choir of Great Britain,London Philharmonic Orchestra,
Karl Jenkins -- EMI 95058)

<URL:"http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Playlist?source=KUSC&amp;composer=Karl%20Jenkins&amp;work=The%20Armed%20Man%20-%20A%20Mass%20For%20Peace%20-%20Agnus%20Dei&amp;label=EMI&amp;catalog=95058">

/dps

Richard Hershberger

Mar 22, 2017, 9:57:32 AM3/22/17
On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 12:53:32 AM UTC-5, Snidely wrote:
> Opus the Penguin was thinking very hard :
> > 100y...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> It is very similar to:
> >> Le quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons), Op. 8 - Concerto No. 4 in F
> >> Minor, RV 297, "L'inverno" (Winter): I. Allegro non molto by Antonio
> >> Vivaldi
> >>

> > Why is this showing up now? Anyway, it's movement 1 of the Palladio Suite
> > by Karl Jenkins, just like the last 573,288 times someone asked.
>
> Shows up on Requests at Noon frequently enough, too.
>
> /dps

I don't recall hearing this on my local classical station's request show. I take this as a stirring affirmation of the station's audience.

Jenkins had not wormed his way into my consciousness previously. Inasmuch as I thought about the De Beers commercials, I assumed it was some snippet of random Vivaldi, of which there is an abundance. Instead it turns out that it was commissioned by the ad agency from a pop-rock composer with pretensions, presumably specifically intended to sound like Vivaldi. I have no idea why they paid for this, instead of using actual Vivaldi for free. In the meantime, Jenkins seems, based on a brief trawl through YouTube, to have found his niche of pop music with just enough classical dressing to appeal to people who don't actually like classical music, but think that perhaps they should--that sweet, sweet PBS pledge week demographic.

Here is an example from a living composer who is the real deal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5g19PaM5Q8

Richard R. Hershberger

snide...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 3:55:58 PM3/22/17
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 6:57:32 AM UTC-7, Richard Hershberger wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 12:53:32 AM UTC-5, Snidely wrote:

> > > Why is this showing up now? Anyway, it's movement 1 of the Palladio Suite
> > > by Karl Jenkins, just like the last 573,288 times someone asked.
> >
> > Shows up on Requests at Noon frequently enough, too.
> >
> > /dps
>
> I don't recall hearing this on my local classical station's request show.
> I take this as a stirring affirmation of the station's audience.

[deep analysis elided]

> Here is an example from a living composer who is the real deal:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5g19PaM5Q8

While Whitacre is a lot closer to the gold standard,
the Agnes Dei I listened to (see other thread) seemed to be a good piece,
worth listening to in a reflective moment.
Whether that says more about Jenkins or about me is something I can't judge.

It seems that I missed hearing /Cantate Domino/ the next evening,
and that was from a recording by Polyphony and Stephen Layton,
so maybe they thought it was worth doing.
I'll let you know what I think when I catch up to it.

/dps

BillT...@billturlock.com

Mar 23, 2017, 7:44:54 PM3/23/17
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:55:57 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com
wrote:
IDNK that Rachmaninoff wrote some liturgical stuff. Which I've
started finding interesting. I bought a whole CD.

Snidely

Mar 24, 2017, 1:48:47 AM3/24/17
BillT...@BillTurlock.com submitted this idea :
Stravinsky did, too.

And Edouard Lalo wrote a cello concerto.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

snide...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2017, 3:19:20 PM3/31/17
FWIW, Monday's request show included, "Thank you for turning me on to
Eric Whitacre. Please play!" The selection was /Sleep/, of course,
but last week, both during daylight and in the wee hours,
his /Water Night/ sloshed through the playlist.

What do you think of John Rutter, BTW? Some people think he has written
too many Christmas pieces, but isn't he one of the leading vocal composers?
And today they dug out his /Lyric Suite/ so that Ms Finch could shine.

Out Here, of course, we're partial to Morten Lauridsen.

/dps "people say"

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2017, 2:31:41 PM6/2/17
A recent Sunday morning, they played Eric Whitacre selections at 6 am
instead of 7, so as punishment I made them give me the Whitacre album
as my pledge reward.

/dps

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2017, 3:42:11 PM6/2/17
I hit "send" too soon. I recently learned he's Part Of LA --
Swan Family Artist-in-Residence
<URL:https://lamasterchorale.org/eric-whitacre>

Oh, and what can you tell me about Stephen Paulus?
I first heard of him at a Feb 2016 organ concert in
the Pacific Symphony's organ series;
Paul Jacobs was joined by the Pacific Chorale for "Pilgrim's Hymn"
(a couple of years after Paulus' death);
the Concerto No 4 for Organ and Orchestra was also done.

/dps

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2017, 4:46:08 PM6/2/17
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 6:57:32 AM UTC-7, Richard Hershberger wrote:

> I don't recall hearing this on my local classical station's request show.

DC used to have a classical music station; did you ever listen to it?

(I know about that station shutting down [er, maybe going all-news]
because Dennis Bartel came back out West as a result.)

/dps

Richard Hershberger

Jun 2, 2017, 4:56:37 PM6/2/17
DC still has a classical station: WETA. But it is the Baltimore station, WBJC, that I usually listen to.

Richard R. Hershberger

Richard Hershberger

Jun 2, 2017, 4:59:55 PM6/2/17
Rutter doesn't do it for me, but if he does for you I promise not to arch an eyebrow over it. I find Rutter instantly recognizable and uninteresting. If I turn on the radio and they are playing one of his pieces, I know it without being told or having heard the piece before, and I almost certainly won't care for it. Someone with more music theory chops than I have once explained to me his shtick, but I confess I don't remember the explanation. There is some chord structure that he latched onto, a lot of people liked, and he therefore holds onto for dear life.

Richard R. Hershberger

Richard Hershberger

Jun 2, 2017, 5:02:08 PM6/2/17
I don't know him, but am willing to remedy the lack. Here's one for you in the meantime: check out Dobrinka Tabakova. She is Bulgarian but has spent much of her time in London. Hearing her talk is like Natasha from Bullwinkle: absolutely adorable.

Richard R. Hershberger

BillT...@billturlock.com

Jun 2, 2017, 9:36:05 PM6/2/17
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 13:56:36 -0700 (PDT), Richard Hershberger
<rrh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>DC still has a classical station: WETA. But it is the Baltimore station, WBJC, that I usually listen to.

I did for a while, but it seemed at that time tobe Top 50

Snidely

Jun 3, 2017, 1:51:15 AM6/3/17
Richard Hershberger pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
Thanks. This should be shared with BillT, of course:
<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRRrWEY1OE>
(but of course, Elgar was mourning a wife and a world that were lost)

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Snidely

Jun 3, 2017, 1:54:27 AM6/3/17
Richard Hershberger submitted this idea :
Was it a commercial classical that went under about 13 years ago?

LA technically still has a commercial classical station, but it's a
low-power AM station that's mainly automated. The FM transmitter they
used to be on was given to the country station about ... oh, 14 years
ago.

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

Snidely

Jun 3, 2017, 2:18:00 AM6/3/17
On Friday, Snidely exclaimed wildly:
<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuESevJviXY>
for her voice.

/dps

--
"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm

BillT...@billturlock.com

Jun 3, 2017, 2:52:02 AM6/3/17
On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 22:51:09 -0700, Snidely
<snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks. This should be shared with BillT, of course:
><URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRRrWEY1OE>

Nice. TY

Howard

Jun 3, 2017, 10:30:49 AM6/3/17
BillT...@BillTurlock.com wrote :

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 13:56:36 -0700 (PDT), Richard Hershberger

>>DC still has a classical station: WETA. But it is the Baltimore
>>station, WBJC, that I usually listen to.
>
> I did for a while, but it seemed at that time tobe Top 50

I just looked up a few random playlists of WBJC to see if I might want to
stream them, but they sure seem to play a lot of Wagner. Do they have a
program director who is secretly part of the Bund or something? (It could
be just a phantom caused by a limited sample, but it's more fun to jump to
conclusions.)

Les Albert

Jun 3, 2017, 1:06:21 PM6/3/17
On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 22:54:22 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Richard Hershberger submitted this idea :

>>> DC used to have a classical music station; did you ever listen to it?
>>> (I know about that station shutting down [er, maybe going all-news]
>>> because Dennis Bartel came back out West as a result.)

>> DC still has a classical station: WETA. But it is the Baltimore station,
>> WBJC, that I usually listen to.

>Was it a commercial classical that went under about 13 years ago?
>LA technically still has a commercial classical station, but it's a
>low-power AM station that's mainly automated. The FM transmitter they
>used to be on was given to the country station about ... oh, 14 years
>ago.

You should get an internet radio. You will be able to listen to
classical music from stations around the world. I have this one:
http://tinyurl.com/y9var4rj and it stays tuned to either classical
piano or piano jazz stations. The speakers are very good, but it can
also output to larger stereo speakers.

If you want to see what's available for internet listening you can
also download the Radiosure tuner. It plays through your computer
speakers. I used it to record CDs of some jazz greats before I got
the internet radio. It's free, and easy to use:
https://radiosure.en.softonic.com/

Les

BillT...@billturlock.com

Jun 3, 2017, 3:01:35 PM6/3/17
On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 14:30:46 +0000 (UTC), Howard
<howrd...@otmail.com> wrote:>
>I just looked up a few random playlists of WBJC to see if I might want to
>stream them, but they sure seem to play a lot of Wagner. Do they have a
>program director who is secretly part of the Bund or something? (It could
>be just a phantom caused by a limited sample, but it's more fun to jump to
>conclusions.)

Dunno, but in its stead, I've been quite happy with
http://www.accuradio.com/
for a few years now. They have quite a few classical channels,
and after a while you will hear all of the playlist, but there's
enough variety among the channels that it's tolerable. And there
is a new rotation into a channel every so often. HTH

HVS

Jun 3, 2017, 3:24:59 PM6/3/17
I've used TuneIn radio for some years, which has lots of classical
stations in the data base - IIRC the eastern European stations were
fairly good.

--
Cheers, Harvey
CanE (30 years) & BrE (34 years),

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2017, 2:45:02 PM6/5/17
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 10:06:21 AM UTC-7, Les wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 22:54:22 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >Was it a commercial classical that went under about 13 years ago?
> >LA technically still has a commercial classical station, but it's a
> >low-power AM station that's mainly automated. The FM transmitter they
> >used to be on was given to the country station about ... oh, 14 years
> >ago.
>

> You should get an internet radio. You will be able to listen to
> classical music from stations around the world. I have this one:
> http://tinyurl.com/y9var4rj and it stays tuned to either classical
> piano or piano jazz stations. The speakers are very good, but it can
> also output to larger stereo speakers.

I don't need an internet radio. KUSC streams 24 hours,
and since KMZT is automated I won't find any live concert programming on it.
KUSC's broadcasts of the LA Phil are actually streamable for a week
after broadcast, but not all the live concerts on KUSC do that.
Current selection:
JUNE 4

Gustavo Dudamel, conductor
Michelle DeYoung, mezzo-soprano

SCHUBERT: Symphony No. 1
MAHLER: Songs of a Wayfarer
SCHUBERT: Symphony No. 2

<URL:http://www.kusc.org/radio/on-demand/socal-sunday-night-on-demand/>

/dps

> If you want to see what's available for internet listening you can
> also download the Radiosure tuner. It plays through your computer
> speakers. I used it to record CDs of some jazz greats before I got
> the internet radio. It's free, and easy to use:
> https://radiosure.en.softonic.com/

KKJZ (K-Jazz, "America's Jazz and Blues Station") and KMHD both stream 24 hours,
so I have plenty to listen to when I'm not listening to KUSC.
I like Gordon Goodwin's /Phat Tracks/ on K-Jazz on Saturday afternoons
(and I listen to some of the Blues show that follows) and repeats Friday night.
David Benoit is one of the weekday morning hosts.
From KMHD I listen to /CineJazz/ on Sundays,
and they still repeat /Piano Jazz/ on Tuesdays.

/dps

Les Albert

Jun 5, 2017, 6:55:07 PM6/5/17
>> If you want to see what's available for internet listening you can
>> also download the Radiosure tuner. It plays through your computer
>> speakers. I used it to record CDs of some jazz greats before I got
>> the internet radio. It's free, and easy to use:
>> https://radiosure.en.softonic.com/

>KKJZ (K-Jazz, "America's Jazz and Blues Station") and KMHD both stream 24 hours,
>so I have plenty to listen to when I'm not listening to KUSC.
>I like Gordon Goodwin's /Phat Tracks/ on K-Jazz on Saturday afternoons
>(and I listen to some of the Blues show that follows) and repeats Friday night.
>David Benoit is one of the weekday morning hosts.
>From KMHD I listen to /CineJazz/ on Sundays,
>and they still repeat /Piano Jazz/ on Tuesdays.

You seem to have all the music you want, so an internet radio would be
something you don't need. I guess I tend on the side of wretched
excess because in addition to the internet radio and a stereo system
for FM, CDs and LPs, I also have a dedicated Sirius-XM receiver (plays
through the stereo system). Sirius XM costs a bit but of all the
music sources, they play the most interesting classical music - things
that don't seem to make it to the other broadcast sources. The Sirius
channel list is like the cable company offerings: a lot of stuff, but
you only listen to 3 or 4 channels regularly. See:
https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm/pdf/xm/channelguide.pdf

The Radiosure tuner for computer use that I mentioned above is also
kind of interesting; they list over 34,000 stations around the world.
The broadcast list can be tailored to a listeners requirements by
searching for multiple stations by genre, language spoken, country of
origin, or a station name.

Les

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2017, 8:01:22 PM6/5/17
On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 3:55:07 PM UTC-7, Les wrote:

> Sirius XM costs a bit but of all the
> music sources, they play the most interesting classical music - things
> that don't seem to make it to the other broadcast sources. The Sirius
> channel list is like the cable company offerings: a lot of stuff, but
> you only listen to 3 or 4 channels regularly. See:
> https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm/pdf/xm/channelguide.pdf

Here's the list of composers played on KUSC on May 11. There's a good chance
that the Beethoven includes a symphony and maybe one of the concertos
(taking bets on which one?), so war horses are in full harness and panoply.
But wait, there's more:

Abel, Carl Friedrich
Albeniz, Isaac
Arnold, Samuel
Avison, Charles
Bach, Johann Sebastian
Beethoven, Ludwig van
Bizet, Georges
Brahms, Johannes
Chopin, Frederic
Debussy, Claude
Dvorak, Antonin
Elgar, Edward
Gjeilo, Ola
Glinka, Mikhail
Grieg, Edvard
Handel, George Frideric
Hummel, Johann
Liszt, Franz
Lunn, John
MacCunn, Hamish
Mendelssohn, Felix
Miaskovsky, Nikolai
Mouret, Jean-Joseph
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
Part, Arvo
Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolay
Rutter, John
Salieri, Francesco
Shostakovich, Dmitri
Sibelius, Jean
Stamitz, Carl
Tchaikovsky, Piotr
Telemann, Georg Philip
Thorvaldsdottir, Anna
Ticheli, Frank
Villa-Lobos, Heitor
Vivaldi, Antonio
Weber, Carl Maria von
Weiss, Leopold Silvius
Williams, Ralph Vaughan

May 11 was a weekday, so some of the corner cases weren't covered.
Saturday is often Met Opera, or currently, LA Opera.
Live performances (by tape delay for LA Opera).
Thy recently started carrying programs by the Shanghai Symphony
(this project involves the Bay Area ... it looks like KDFC is driving it,
Hoyt's the Host, and KUSC is sharing its affiliate's work).
Saturday night concludes with music of the 20th and 21st Century.
(May 14th included Rautavaara, Knussen, and Crockett)

Sunday has live symphony programming,
such as the LA Phil as noted above,
but also has (at dawn) music from the likes of
Palestrina, Byrd, Bach, Whitacre, Lauridsen, and ....

/dps

Les Albert

Jun 5, 2017, 10:48:26 PM6/5/17
It's good that you are able to get all that stuff. The list of
composers is interesting and I hear pieces by many of them both on
internet radio and on Sirius. But as I mentioned earlier Sirius XM
often plays music not heard on the popular FM stations and by
composers who have had a great influence on those composers who
followed. For instance, the classical music channel on Sirius will
play things by Wagenseil, or Georg Matthias Monn, or Starzer. They
also introduced me to one who has become one of my piano favorites,
Clementi.

Les

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2017, 11:20:46 PM6/5/17
Of those, only Clementi has shown up in the last 6 months, but he shows up several times a month.

Plus, he seems to have made some good pianos, as did Ignace Pleyel
(2 appearances this year).

How are you doing on Cousin Bernard?

/dps "Crusell may have been too late for your tastes,
born about when Wagenseil died"

Richard Hershberger

Jun 6, 2017, 8:46:45 AM6/6/17
I think this was just the luck of the draw. Wagner certainly is in the rotation, but ordinarily not excessively so. As for its being Top 50, this is definitely not the case. It might have been at one time. Classical stations gradually accumulate libraries, so a station early in its lifetime is likely to be limited, and to tend toward the war horses. The Santa Barbara station I listened to in college seemed to have one shelf of classical records. They would start at one end and work their way to the other, then repeat.

I listen to several stations on the internet. WXXI out of Rochester is one of my standards. I particularly enjoy it in the winter, hearing the weather reports. American Public Media has a surprisingly good feed at www.yourclassical.org. I routinely come back to WBJC, even on the internet.

Richard R. Hershberger

Richard Hershberger

Jun 6, 2017, 8:51:14 AM6/6/17
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:54:27 AM UTC-4, Snidely wrote:
> Richard Hershberger submitted this idea :

> >> DC used to have a classical music station; did you ever listen to it?
> >>
> >> (I know about that station shutting down [er, maybe going all-news]
> >> because Dennis Bartel came back out West as a result.)
> >>
> >> /dps
> >
> > DC still has a classical station: WETA. But it is the Baltimore station,
> > WBJC, that I usually listen to.
>
> Was it a commercial classical that went under about 13 years ago?

WBJC? No. It has been a public station forever, though it is not affiliated with NPR. I don't think it started out as classical, or at least not all classical, but that was decades ago.

Might you be thinking of Philadelphia? It had a commercial classical station that switched to Top 40 about fifteen or twenty years ago. Its classical library went to the public radio station out of Temple University. The Temple station had an all-jazz format before that, and switched to classical in the daytime and jazz at night. The jazz fans pitched a fit. The station ran a weekly program arguing that classical and jazz were really the same thing, so everyone should be happy, but once you get past Gershwin the pickings rapidly get pretty thin.

Richard R. Hershberger

Les Albert

Jun 6, 2017, 12:12:50 PM6/6/17
My cousin Bernard was a big disappointment. I hadn't seen him in
decades, and when I learned he was living nearby I contacted him.
He never responded, and I later learned that he had become reclusive,
and didn't want to see anyone. I never tried to contact him again.

Les

BillT...@billturlock.com

Jun 6, 2017, 3:34:20 PM6/6/17
On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 05:46:44 -0700 (PDT), Richard Hershberger
<rrh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think this was just the luck of the draw. Wagner certainly is in the rotation, but ordinarily not excessively so. As for its being Top 50, this is definitely not the case. It might have been at one time. Classical stations gradually accumulate libraries, so a station early in its lifetime is likely to be limited, and to tend toward the war horses. The Santa Barbara station I listened to in college seemed to have one shelf of classical records. They would start at one end and work their way to the other, then repeat.
>
>I listen to several stations on the internet. WXXI out of Rochester is one of my standards. I particularly enjoy it in the winter, hearing the weather reports. American Public Media has a surprisingly good feed at www.yourclassical.org. I routinely come back to WBJC, even on the internet.

TY
--
"Everbody must get stoned" — Nobel laureate Robert Zimmerman

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 7:34:05 PM6/6/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 9:12:50 AM UTC-7 (his offset and mine!),
I am sorry to hear that. JS had better luck with his cousin.

/dps

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 7:44:04 PM6/6/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 5:51:14 AM UTC-7, Richard Hershberger wrote:
> On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:54:27 AM UTC-4, Snidely wrote:
> > Richard Hershberger submitted this idea :

> > > DC still has a classical station: WETA. But it is the Baltimore station,
> > > WBJC, that I usually listen to.
> >
> > Was it a commercial classical that went under about 13 years ago?
>
> WBJC?

No. I'm talking about the putative DC station where Mr Bartel was
until the rug was pulled. I found this account of his past:

" [...]fourteen years on-air at WGMS-Washington, DC.
Previously he was the founding program director and
an on-air personality at WJHU-Baltimore (1986-1990),
and dj at WQED-Pittsburgh. His book of short stories Voyeurs
was published in 2006. It contains two stories set at radio stations.
His second book, High’d Up, was published in 2015.

> No. It has been a public station forever, though it is not affiliated
> with NPR. I don't think it started out as classical, or at least not all
> classical, but that was decades ago.
>
> Might you be thinking of Philadelphia?

evidently not

> It had a commercial classical station that switched to Top 40
> about fifteen or twenty years ago.
> Its classical library went to the public radio station
> out of Temple University. The Temple station had an all-jazz format
> before that, and switched to classical in the daytime and jazz at night.
> The jazz fans pitched a fit. The station ran a weekly program arguing
> that classical and jazz were really the same thing, so everyone
> should be happy, but once you get past Gershwin the pickings rapidly
> get pretty thin.

Gordon Goodwin has added some on both sides.
I understand John Williams was a jazz musician before he movied on.
Andre Previn was a jazz recording artist sometime before he led the LSO.

Los Angeles has one jazz-and-blues station (mentioned around here before)
and then there's The Wave.

/dps

bill van

Jun 7, 2017, 2:12:58 AM6/7/17
In article <c535bacd-b73f-458a...@googlegroups.com>,
snide...@gmail.com wrote:

> I understand John Williams was a jazz musician before he movied on.
> Andre Previn was a jazz recording artist sometime before he led the LSO.

I had heard of Andre Previn by the time I was about 10 years old; he
was a regular performer on Dutch television in the 1950s; he was
German despite the French name. I'm amazed he's still kicking, and
doing stuff that people notice. I think he is probably more of a pop
artist than a serious jazz guy, however.

Wikipedia says he's 88.
--
bill

Snidely

Jun 7, 2017, 2:36:55 AM6/7/17
On Tuesday, bill van queried:
He was in Costa Mesa a couple of years ago. Literally (2015).

Per the PSO:
Violinist Jaime Laredo and cellist Sharon Robinson
joined the Symphony for the West Coast premiere of
Previn's Double Concerto and the song cycle "Honey and Rue"
was performed by soprano Elizabeth Caballero.
The program, with Previn in attendance,
also included "Principals" for Orchestra and "Owls."
(IIRC, they showed a relatively recent film clip of him perfoming
at a jazz club; I don't remember who he sat in with,
or whether it was East Coast or West Coast.
It didn't sound very pop-ish to me, FWMOIW.)

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"

Snidely

Jun 7, 2017, 2:44:15 AM6/7/17
On Tuesday, Snidely exclaimed wildly:
From the program notes (written by Joseph Horowitz):

<quote>
Ultimately, the Priwins settled in Los Angeles as the Previns.
André’s uncle, Charles Previn, was head of the music department
at Universal Pictures. Charles’ social set included Jascha Heifetz.
While still in high school, André began scoring and arranging
for films. He began recording jazz in 1945. Working in Hollywood
for more than two decades, he produced distinguished film scores
(including Bad Day at Black Rock [1955] and
Long Day’s Journey into Night [1962]) and also
distinguished himself as an arranger; he won Academy Awards as
music director of Gigi (1958), Porgy and Bess, Irma la Douce (1963)
and My Fair Lady (1964). His 1956 recording of tunes from My Fair Lady,
with his jazz trio, was the first jazz album to
sell more than a million copies.
</quote>

/dps

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"

Kerr Mudd-John

Jun 7, 2017, 10:44:30 AM6/7/17
On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 07:12:55 +0100, bill van <bil...@delete.shaw.ca> wrote:

> In article <c535bacd-b73f-458a...@googlegroups.com>,
> snide...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I understand John Williams was a jazz musician before he movied on.
>> Andre Previn was a jazz recording artist sometime before he led the LSO.
>
> I had heard of Andre Previn by the time I was about 10 years old; he
> was a regular performer on Dutch television in the 1950s; he was
> German despite the French name.

Nonsense he was British I tell you,; he was a very famous person due to Morecombe & Wise's kind patronage.

> I'm amazed he's still kicking, and
me too

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Snidely

Jun 8, 2017, 1:39:46 AM6/8/17
Kerr Mudd-John was thinking very hard :
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 07:12:55 +0100, bill van <bil...@delete.shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> In article <c535bacd-b73f-458a...@googlegroups.com>,
>> snide...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I understand John Williams was a jazz musician before he movied on.
>>> Andre Previn was a jazz recording artist sometime before he led the LSO.
>>
>> I had heard of Andre Previn by the time I was about 10 years old; he
>> was a regular performer on Dutch television in the 1950s; he was
>> German despite the French name.
>
> Nonsense he was British I tell you,; he was a very famous person due to
> Morecombe & Wise's kind patronage.
>
>> I'm amazed he's still kicking, and
> me too

He's had to give up the arm-swinging gigs.

>> doing stuff that people notice. I think he is probably more of a pop
>> artist than a serious jazz guy, however.
>>
>> Wikipedia says he's 88.

Very alert in 2015; I haven't talked to him more recently.

/dps "or rather, he to me"

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler