Long Holiday Blues

Snidely

Sep 1, 2013, 3:51:20 AM9/1/13
I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
tablets to post from.

For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.

(LAX is even more coastal, only got to 84, but same humidity.)

(I need to hook the shower up to the refrigerator ... the "cold" water
is warm enough for a swimming pool.)

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"

Snidely

Sep 1, 2013, 4:32:44 AM9/1/13
Remember Sunday, when Snidely asked plainitively:
> I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
> tablets to post from.

Or I have to kick something to start the download.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.

Curmudgeon

Sep 1, 2013, 8:15:24 AM9/1/13
"Snidely" <snide...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
>tablets to post from.

It's worse than that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0yXqU-w9U0

Jeff Green

Sep 1, 2013, 10:07:14 AM9/1/13
Nothing that can't be repaired with a spare Tardis.

Mary

Sep 1, 2013, 11:30:26 AM9/1/13
On 9/1/2013 2:51 AM, Snidely wrote:
> I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
> tablets to post from.
>
> For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
> weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
> on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
> of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.

Ugh, no, don't even try. I was in the Tampa area a lot the summer of
2007 while my mom was dying, and the weather just made the situation
harder to bear.

> (LAX is even more coastal, only got to 84, but same humidity.)
>
> (I need to hook the shower up to the refrigerator ... the "cold" water
> is warm enough for a swimming pool.)

Eeuw, really? Yick. Hope it cools down for you. It's about 68 here
right now, our heat wave broke finally.

Mary

Tim Wright

Sep 1, 2013, 11:36:18 AM9/1/13
On 9/1/2013 2:51 AM, Snidely wrote:
> I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
> tablets to post from.
>
> For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
> weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
> on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
> of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.
>
> (LAX is even more coastal, only got to 84, but same humidity.)
>
> (I need to hook the shower up to the refrigerator ... the "cold" water
> is warm enough for a swimming pool.)
>
> /dps

It was 105°F here yesterday, and expected to be 104° today. At 10:30
the pool temp is 89° but as the day goes on I expect it'll top out
around 92°. But we have a 30% chance of severe thunderstorms tonight.

--
If you ever see me drinking a Bud Lite Lime, I have been kidnapped and
am trying to signal you.

Tim W

Snidely

Sep 1, 2013, 12:18:03 PM9/1/13
After serious thinking Tim Wright wrote :

> It was 105°F here yesterday, and expected to be 104° today. At 10:30 the
> pool temp is 89° but as the day goes on I expect it'll top out around 92°.
> But we have a 30% chance of severe thunderstorms tonight.

I think I'll skip the fired eggs today.

The weather channel says that humidity in Ft Worth is about 43%. I
suspect that 10 degees traded for 10% would not increase my enjoyment.

Pardon me while I envy Veronique and Paulydak.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Snidely

Sep 1, 2013, 12:31:30 PM9/1/13
Jeff Green explained :
At EMP, you enter the Sci Fi exhibit through what's supposed to be
"going to lightspeed" a la Star Wars, but it made me think of the show
Time Tunnel. Amazing how good the tunnel was at picking up Our Heros
at the most critical moment.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Tim Wright

Sep 1, 2013, 12:36:04 PM9/1/13
The worst humidity I've ever had to deal with was in Raleigh, NC. It
was only about 85°, but the humidity was so high you'd walk outside and
your glasses would fog over. I played golf one day I was there and by
the time I was finished it was like I had been swimming in my clothes.
There wasn't a dry thread anywhere. It was much less comfortable in
Raleigh at 85° than Sacramento, CA at 112°.

David J. Martin

Sep 1, 2013, 12:37:53 PM9/1/13
Local well water is about 118 F. The cities cool it to about 90 F. During
the summer it seems like the distribution system warms it from there. Cool
showers are impossible.

Around here 90 with 50% humidity are the cool days. At this point 95 seems
cool. Once you've acclimated it's really not that bad. Of course, temps
that Mary would call chilly are down right cold to me.

David

Mary

Sep 1, 2013, 1:03:16 PM9/1/13
On 9/1/2013 11:37 AM, David J. Martin wrote:

> Local well water is about 118 F. The cities cool it to about 90 F. During
> the summer it seems like the distribution system warms it from there. Cool
> showers are impossible.
>
> Around here 90 with 50% humidity are the cool days. At this point 95 seems
> cool. Once you've acclimated it's really not that bad. Of course, temps
> that Mary would call chilly are down right cold to me.

Yes, it's all what you're used to - a friend who lives in Austin went to
dinner with her husband last weekend and sat outside on the patio. At
95 I want air-conditioning.

But in addition to just becoming accustomed, different people develop
different preferences. I have one co-worker who's from Georgia and
moved here to get away from hot weather. Another co-worker is from
eastern Russia and LOVES it when it gets hot and humid.

Personally, I think Elena, the Russian one, is nuts. But she's nice and
she's smart and that's all you need from a colleague.

Mary

Mary

Sep 1, 2013, 1:05:07 PM9/1/13
On 9/1/2013 11:36 AM, Tim Wright wrote:
> On 9/1/2013 11:18 AM, Snidely wrote:
>> After serious thinking Tim Wright wrote :
>>
>>> It was 105°F here yesterday, and expected to be 104° today. At 10:30
>>> the pool temp is 89° but as the day goes on I expect it'll top out
>>> around 92°. But we have a 30% chance of severe thunderstorms tonight.
>>
>> I think I'll skip the fired eggs today.
>>
>> The weather channel says that humidity in Ft Worth is about 43%. I
>> suspect that 10 degees traded for 10% would not increase my enjoyment.
>>
>> Pardon me while I envy Veronique and Paulydak.
>>
> The worst humidity I've ever had to deal with was in Raleigh, NC. It
> was only about 85°, but the humidity was so high you'd walk outside and
> your glasses would fog over. I played golf one day I was there and by
> the time I was finished it was like I had been swimming in my clothes.
> There wasn't a dry thread anywhere. It was much less comfortable in
> Raleigh at 85° than Sacramento, CA at 112°.

This is why I avoid Florida. Also Alabama, Louisiana, and other
Southern states, at least in summer.

Snidely's right, V. and Pauly usually have great weather where they are,
though they had a heat wave this year too - and up there people don't
tend to have AC.

Mary

Hactar

Sep 1, 2013, 12:17:16 PM9/1/13
In article <f8KdnadRcu4PwL7P...@mchsi.com>,
Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/2013 2:51 AM, Snidely wrote:
> > I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
> > tablets to post from.
> >
> > For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
> > weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
> > on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
> > of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.
>
> Ugh, no, don't even try. I was in the Tampa area a lot the summer of
> 2007 while my mom was dying, and the weather just made the situation
> harder to bear.

Wusses, the lot of you.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Tim Wright

Sep 1, 2013, 1:20:58 PM9/1/13
A former cow-orker of mine had a sister that moved from Hawaii to
Buffalo, NY for the weather. Apparently the sister had done a lot of
drugs in her youth.

Snidely

Sep 1, 2013, 1:35:10 PM9/1/13
Hactar explained on 9/1/2013 :
> In article <f8KdnadRcu4PwL7P...@mchsi.com>,
> Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote:
>> On 9/1/2013 2:51 AM, Snidely wrote:
>>> I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
>>> tablets to post from.
>>>
>>> For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
>>> weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
>>> on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
>>> of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.
>>
>> Ugh, no, don't even try. I was in the Tampa area a lot the summer of
>> 2007 while my mom was dying, and the weather just made the situation
>> harder to bear.
>
> Wusses, the lot of you.

Yeppers.

/dps "growing up in Western Oregon colored my views"

Mark Brader

Sep 1, 2013, 1:54:35 PM9/1/13
"Snidely":
> At EMP, you enter the Sci Fi exhibit through what's supposed to be
> "going to lightspeed" a la Star Wars, but it made me think of the show
> Time Tunnel. Amazing how good the tunnel was at picking up Our Heros
> at the most critical moment.

That was nothing compared to how good it was at depositing them in
random places and times where there was soon going to be a critical
moment, but not quite yet.
--
Mark Brader | "I thought at first that you had done something clever,
Toronto | but I see that there was nothing in it, after all."
| in explaining." --Doyle

bill van

Sep 1, 2013, 2:08:58 PM9/1/13
In article
<1161073160399743571.88408...@news.eternal-septemb
er.org>,
You'd freeze in Vancouver then. High temps this weekend are ranging from
20 to 23 C (68 to 73 F), mostly sunny with a bit of cloud. Can't
complain. We left Toronto largely because it's too damn sticky for most
of the summer.

bill

Bill Turlock

Sep 1, 2013, 2:13:52 PM9/1/13
On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 00:51:20 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
>tablets to post from.
>For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
>weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
>on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
>of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.
>(LAX is even more coastal, only got to 84, but same humidity.)
>(I need to hook the shower up to the refrigerator ... the "cold" water
>is warm enough for a swimming pool.)

I *know*! It's been 75° here on my little mountain, but it's only
going to get to 72° today. Since I'm kinda subterranean here in my
apt, it takes a long time to get the interior temp up or down. Right
now, even this early in the AM, it's already 73° in here! (78% hum
outside!) And on the east side of the bldg, where the sun shines, I
almost get heat stroke!

Bill "I don't know how I'm gong to stand it" Turlock

David J. Martin

Sep 1, 2013, 2:22:25 PM9/1/13
Yeah, for the first year or two. Keep me away from 40C for awhile and I'd
get used to it.

David

Snidely

Sep 1, 2013, 2:31:14 PM9/1/13
After serious thinking Mark Brader wrote :
> "Snidely":
>> At EMP, you enter the Sci Fi exhibit through what's supposed to be
>> "going to lightspeed" a la Star Wars, but it made me think of the show
>> Time Tunnel. Amazing how good the tunnel was at picking up Our Heros
>> at the most critical moment.
>
> That was nothing compared to how good it was at depositing them in
> random places and times where there was soon going to be a critical
> moment, but not quite yet.

Yeppers.

/dps

--
Ieri, oggi, domani

Bill Turlock

Sep 1, 2013, 2:48:34 PM9/1/13
On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 09:18:03 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>After serious thinking Tim Wright wrote :
>
>> It was 105°F here yesterday, and expected to be 104° today. At 10:30 the
>> pool temp is 89° but as the day goes on I expect it'll top out around 92°.
>> But we have a 30% chance of severe thunderstorms tonight.

>I think I'll skip the fired eggs today.

Free-range, slow roasted over open coals?

Bill Turlock

Sep 1, 2013, 2:52:17 PM9/1/13
On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:36:04 -0500, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 9/1/2013 11:18 AM, Snidely wrote:
>> After serious thinking Tim Wright wrote :
>>
>>> It was 105°F here yesterday, and expected to be 104° today. At 10:30
>>> the pool temp is 89° but as the day goes on I expect it'll top out
>>> around 92°. But we have a 30% chance of severe thunderstorms tonight.
>>
>> I think I'll skip the fired eggs today.
>>
>> The weather channel says that humidity in Ft Worth is about 43%. I
>> suspect that 10 degees traded for 10% would not increase my enjoyment.
>>
>> Pardon me while I envy Veronique and Paulydak.
>>
>The worst humidity I've ever had to deal with was in Raleigh, NC. It
>was only about 85°, but the humidity was so high you'd walk outside and
>your glasses would fog over. I played golf one day I was there and by
>the time I was finished it was like I had been swimming in my clothes.
>There wasn't a dry thread anywhere. It was much less comfortable in
>Raleigh at 85° than Sacramento, CA at 112°.

Three words: O Ma Ha — 95-100% hum, ~100°
srsly

Bill "oh, and once in a while, six feet of snow in 18hrs" Turlock (in
the winter, though)
[Didi I just write an hai-ku?] [I thought not]

paulydak

Sep 1, 2013, 6:49:12 PM9/1/13
On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 09:18:03 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:

It's a balmy 84 degrees F here in the operations center as I type.
Warmer outside, and a little too hot to work on stuff out in the
direct sun.

Beer time.

--

Pauly-sounds like paradise

Mary

Sep 1, 2013, 7:34:31 PM9/1/13
On 9/1/2013 11:17 AM, Hactar wrote:
> In article <f8KdnadRcu4PwL7P...@mchsi.com>,
> Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote:
>> On 9/1/2013 2:51 AM, Snidely wrote:
>>> I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
>>> tablets to post from.
>>>
>>> For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
>>> weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
>>> on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
>>> of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.
>>
>> Ugh, no, don't even try. I was in the Tampa area a lot the summer of
>> 2007 while my mom was dying, and the weather just made the situation
>> harder to bear.
>
> Wusses, the lot of you.

Damn skippy. On the other hand, you're welcome to come visit
Minneapolis next January.

Mary

Bill Turlock

Sep 1, 2013, 8:21:17 PM9/1/13
BTDT, Omaha, and central Wisc. Oh how I miss it. _*NOT*_

Paul Madarasz

Sep 2, 2013, 2:15:23 PM9/2/13
wrote:

>I guess AFCAns have all taken off for the weekend, without taking their
>tablets to post from.
>
>For what it's worth, we are having SoCal's version of uncomfortable
>weather. High today of 90 at Long Beach Airport, which is essentially
>on the coast, and humidity of 50% +/- 10%. I don't think I have a hope
>of surviving summer in New Orleans or Tampa.
>
>(LAX is even more coastal, only got to 84, but same humidity.)
>
>(I need to hook the shower up to the refrigerator ... the "cold" water
>is warm enough for a swimming pool.)
>
>/dps

Going up to 100 here today, overcast and (shudder) humid. They've
been threatening rain for the past several days, but all the water is
just hanging around in the air. I hate humid.

Paul Madarasz

Sep 2, 2013, 2:18:47 PM9/2/13
I see... Kinda like the Black Hole of Calcutta, only with light.

Paul Madarasz

Sep 2, 2013, 2:21:14 PM9/2/13
No heatstroke here, but I've noticed that lately (since last year) I
get heat rash on my arms if I'm out for more than 15 minutes or so. No
itching, just mottled red and (my) flesh color; looks like measles, if
measles were flat.

Snidely

Sep 3, 2013, 1:34:48 AM9/3/13
Paul Madarasz was thinking very hard :
Earlier this year, there were (flash) floods in Arizona and Nevada that
had never been hinted at out here. Dang.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Stanley Daniel de Liver

Sep 10, 2013, 10:31:01 AM9/10/13

Mark Brader

Sep 10, 2013, 7:30:49 PM9/10/13
"Stanley Daniel de Liver":
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Metrication_by_year_map.svg/400px-Metrication_by_year_map.svg.png

Bull.

<http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/>, third question.
--
Mark Brader "By this time I was feeling guilty. No, correction,
Toronto I was feeling that I *should* feel guilty ..."

Stanley Daniel de Liver

Sep 11, 2013, 7:50:25 AM9/11/13
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 00:30:49 +0100, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> "Stanley Daniel de Liver":
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Metrication_by_year_map.svg/400px-Metrication_by_year_map.svg.png
> Bull.
>
> <http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/>, third question.

nevertheless:
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictD.html#fheit

see also US Gallon, and footpoundal (as seen at NASA!)

Mark Brader

Sep 11, 2013, 12:51:33 PM9/11/13
Mark Brader:
>> Bull.
>> <http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/>, third question.

"Stanley Daniel de Liver":
> nevertheless:
> http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictD.html#fheit

Consistent with what I cited.

> see also US Gallon...

Well, if you're going to cite US units instead of real gallons...!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "'Run me,' Alice?"
m...@vex.net -- Tom Neff

Stanley Daniel de Liver

Sep 11, 2013, 3:05:37 PM9/11/13
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:51:33 +0100, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> "Stanley Daniel de Liver":

> Mark Brader:
>>> Bull.
>>> <http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/>, third question.
>
> "Stanley Daniel de Liver":
>> nevertheless:
>> http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictD.html#fheit
>
> Consistent with what I cited.
>
>> see also US Gallon...
>
> Well, if you're going to cite US units instead of real gallons...!

That's my point; the US is um *special*, but it's seems to be mostly seen
as the rest-of-the-world that's out of step.

Beaver Fever

Sep 14, 2021, 12:28:56 PM9/14/21
On Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 9:36:04 AM UTC-7, Tim Wright wrote:
> On 9/1/2013 11:18 AM, Snidely wrote:
> > After serious thinking Tim Wright wrote :
> >
> >> It was 105°F here yesterday, and expected to be 104° today. At 10:30
> >> the pool temp is 89° but as the day goes on I expect it'll top out
> >> around 92°. But we have a 30% chance of severe thunderstorms tonight.
> >
> > I think I'll skip the fired eggs today.
> >
> > The weather channel says that humidity in Ft Worth is about 43%. I
> > suspect that 10 degees traded for 10% would not increase my enjoyment.
> >
> > Pardon me while I envy Veronique and Paulydak.
> >
> The worst humidity I've ever had to deal with was in Raleigh, NC. It
> was only about 85°, but the humidity was so high you'd walk outside and
> your glasses would fog over. I played golf one day I was there and by
> the time I was finished it was like I had been swimming in my clothes.
> There wasn't a dry thread anywhere. It was much less comfortable in
> Raleigh at 85° than Sacramento, CA at 112°.
> --
> If you ever see me drinking a Bud Lite Lime, I have been kidnapped and
> am trying to signal you.
>
> Tim W

In Raleigh now, what's there to do here and if I prefer to eat late what are my options.

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 1:56:20 AM9/16/21
I don't know anything about Raleigh, but when I travel in that area, I
always look for a COOK OUT.. darn good food at a heck of a price. IIRC,
if you get the $5-6 box meal, it's an extra buck to add a milkshake. I
think you can get a corn dog as the meal, and add another as a side.. lol

https://cookout.com/location/north-carolina-raleigh-3244-capital-blvd/

Boron Elgar

Sep 16, 2021, 10:35:25 AM9/16/21
Paulydak has been dead a long time. Cycle accident.

Beaver Fever

Sep 16, 2021, 11:11:27 AM9/16/21
I don't eat meat. :(

Kentucky Jelly Buddha

Sep 16, 2021, 1:04:07 PM9/16/21
We won't give you any.

--
Kentucky Jelly Buddha
Master of Sacred Lubrication

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 1:36:22 PM9/16/21
On 9/16/2021 11:11 AM, Beaver Fever wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 10:56:20 PM UTC-7, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> In Raleigh now, what's there to do here and if I prefer to eat late what are my options.
>> I don't know anything about Raleigh, but when I travel in that area, I
>> always look for a COOK OUT.. darn good food at a heck of a price. IIRC,
>> if you get the $5-6 box meal, it's an extra buck to add a milkshake. I
>> think you can get a corn dog as the meal, and add another as a side.. lol
>>
>> https://cookout.com/location/north-carolina-raleigh-3244-capital-blvd/
>
> I don't eat meat. :(

They have lots of non-meat options and sides, can't hurt to look it up.
When you said "Raleigh", that was the first and only thing that came
to mind. There are a lot of those joints down that way.

Beaver Fever

Sep 17, 2021, 7:46:17 PM9/17/21
I am going to the St Louis Zoo next week (I think)

can you recommend anything to eat there?

Bob

Sep 18, 2021, 4:34:59 PM9/18/21
Something small you can hook and they won't miss.

Beaver Fever

Sep 18, 2021, 10:10:40 PM9/18/21
how much time do I need (at the zoo) ?

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2021, 11:15:57 AM9/19/21
I would actually suggest posting this in rec.food.cooking.. a few
regulars there live in St. Louis, Bryan Simmons should be able to help
you out, he was telling me about how good that zoo is. That group is
still well and alive.

Beaver Fever

Sep 19, 2021, 2:49:59 PM9/19/21
Whoah for real?

Also I can fly to Nashville RT for 117$ the next weekend.

What's there to do there?

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2021, 11:37:33 PM9/22/21

>>> I am going to the St Louis Zoo next week (I think)
>>>
>>> can you recommend anything to eat there?
>> I would actually suggest posting this in rec.food.cooking.. a few
>> regulars there live in St. Louis, Bryan Simmons should be able to help
>> you out, he was telling me about how good that zoo is. That group is
>> still well and alive.
>
> Whoah for real?
>
> Also I can fly to Nashville RT for 117$ the next weekend.
>
> What's there to do there?

Work flew me to Nashville a few years ago. I don't know if you like
country music, but the Grand Ole Opry is a heck of a show there. I
didn't do much else while I was there.

Interestingly enough, a member of RFC also lives in Nashville.. Lol

Beaver Fever

Sep 23, 2021, 12:20:54 AM9/23/21
I LOVE country music! At least I love what it's done for me the past few years.

Hey, are there any AFCA'ers here in the Fayetteville, Arkansas area?

Beaver Fever

Sep 29, 2021, 1:43:27 PM9/29/21
I guess I should have asked because the eats where I was kinda sucked