disturbing hollywood deaths

Mark Steese

Feb 3, 2004, 10:03:29 PM2/3/04
James Gifford <n...@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in
news:3f4804d1ef78551d...@news.teranews.com:

> "M C Hamster" <davo...@speakeasy.hairnet> wrote:
>> I just would never, ever, ever have thought to check to see if Nick
>> Adams, renowned as Johnny Yuma, The Rebel on TV was also actually in
>> Rebel Without a Cause. I wonder how many stars have been on TV shows
>> with a similar name to an unrelated movie? It's a statistical
>> anomaly.
>
> Search for "Carrie Anne Moss" and "Matrix."

And then there's George Clooney, who appeared in the TV show "E/R" in
1984, ten years before "ER" debuted.
--
Mark Steese
Unscramble and underscore to email

OswaldActedAlone

Jan 31, 2004, 3:45:06 PM1/31/04
Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths

http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html

James Gifford

Jan 31, 2004, 4:49:25 PM1/31/04
oswaldac...@aol.com (OswaldActedAlone) wrote:

Not bad, but I don't see anything on one of the best in this genre: Lupe
Velez.

The "Mexican Spitfire" was a successful B-movie actress who experienced a
downturn in popularity and being dumped by a lover - whose child she had
also discovered she was carrying. She decided to go out in grand style,
and so had a lunch of her favorite enchiladas, took a huge handful of
barbiturates, and laid down in a white dressing gown on a white couch
surrounded by white flowers, prepared to be discovered "sleeping"
peacefully in white beauty.

The enchiladas and pills had a fight, and she apparently had to run to
the bathroom to throw up. Woozy, she slipped, jammed her head in the
toilet, and drowned.

--
| James Gifford * FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY |
| So... your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? |

Lalbert1

Jan 31, 2004, 6:44:57 PM1/31/04
In article <4c741e16cc79c5dd...@news.teranews.com>, James Gifford
<n...@nitrosyncretic.kom> writes:

>oswaldac...@aol.com (OswaldActedAlone) wrote:
>
>> Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
>> and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths
>> http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html

>Not bad, but I don't see anything on one of the best in this genre: Lupe
>Velez.
>The "Mexican Spitfire" was a successful B-movie actress who experienced a
>downturn in popularity and being dumped by a lover - whose child she had
>also discovered she was carrying. She decided to go out in grand style,
>and so had a lunch of her favorite enchiladas, took a huge handful of
>barbiturates, and laid down in a white dressing gown on a white couch
>surrounded by white flowers, prepared to be discovered "sleeping"
>peacefully in white beauty.
>The enchiladas and pills had a fight, and she apparently had to run to
>the bathroom to throw up. Woozy, she slipped, jammed her head in the
>toilet, and drowned.

Scroll down the page and you will see:

"Lupe Velez [1908-44] "Mexican Spitfire" - Went out in style by committing
suicide by swallowing pills amid a roomful of flowers. "

Maybe the bathroom had flowers in it.

I question the accuracy of some of the listings. For instance, it says, "John
Garfield [1913-52] Film Star, Everyman - Died of a heart attack in 1952,
shortly after being placed on the Hollywood blacklist. [Editor's Note: Many say
it was the blacklist that did him in.] "

It was no secret that John Garfield had a heart attack while screwing his
girlfriend in her Gramercy Park apartment.

And a footnote to, "William Desmond Taylor [1877-1922] Silent Film Director -
Shot to death in his Los Angeles bungalow. [Editor's Note: The case remains
unsolved.] "
King Vidor, an old time Hollywood director, researched the murder in 1967. He
claimed to have solved the case and was going to make a movie out of it. He
never did but Vidor's research was used for the book, "A Cast of Killers" by
Sidney D. Kirkpatrick, 1986.

Les

chrisgreville

Jan 31, 2004, 6:57:35 PM1/31/04

"Lalbert1" <lalb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I question the accuracy of some of the listings. For instance, it says,
"John
> Garfield [1913-52] Film Star, Everyman - Died of a heart attack in 1952,
> shortly after being placed on the Hollywood blacklist. [Editor's Note:
Many say
> it was the blacklist that did him in.] "
>
> It was no secret that John Garfield had a heart attack while screwing his
> girlfriend in her Gramercy Park apartment.

Ah, she really got a stiff one then.

Chris Greville

(Someone hadda say it)

Mark Steese

Jan 31, 2004, 9:04:46 PM1/31/04
lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote in
[snip]

> And a footnote to, "William Desmond Taylor [1877-1922] Silent Film
> Director - Shot to death in his Los Angeles bungalow. [Editor's Note:
> The case remains unsolved.] "
> King Vidor, an old time Hollywood director, researched the murder in
> 1967. He claimed to have solved the case and was going to make a
> movie out of it. He never did but Vidor's research was used for the
> book, "A Cast of Killers" by Sidney D. Kirkpatrick, 1986.

I read Kirkpatrick's book a few years after it came out, and figured
he'd pretty much nailed the solution. Two or three years ago I found
the website for Taylorology, the newsletter for William Desmond Taylor
buffs, of whom there are evidently quite a few. Issue 65 was devoted to
pointing out the errors in Kirkpatrick's book, which were plentiful: see
http://www.public.asu.edu/~bruce/Taylor65.txt

Of course, anybody can say that a book is full of mistakes, but the
Taylorology people went to the trouble of digging up the original police
reports, newspaper articles, etc., and IMO they make a pretty good case
that Kirkpatrick botched it.

James Gifford

Jan 31, 2004, 9:47:53 PM1/31/04
lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote:
>> Not bad, but I don't see anything on one of the best in this genre:
>> Lupe Velez.

> Scroll down the page and you will see:

> "Lupe Velez [1908-44] "Mexican Spitfire" - Went out in style by
> committing suicide by swallowing pills amid a roomful of flowers. "
>
> Maybe the bathroom had flowers in it.

He missed the really good part of the story.

> I question the accuracy of some of the listings.

Ditto.

M C Hamster

Jan 31, 2004, 11:27:05 PM1/31/04
"James Gifford" <n...@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in message

> lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote:
> >> Not bad, but I don't see anything on one of the best in this genre:
> >> Lupe Velez.
>
> > Scroll down the page and you will see:
> >
> > "Lupe Velez [1908-44] "Mexican Spitfire" - Went out in style by
> > committing suicide by swallowing pills amid a roomful of flowers. "
> >
> > Maybe the bathroom had flowers in it.
>
> He missed the really good part of the story.
>
> > I question the accuracy of some of the listings.
>
> Ditto.

Well, it cites Nick Adams as being in Rebel Without a Cause, whereas of
course he was The Rebel on TV.

My brother told me that Superman killed himself, and I cried just like I did
when he told me a few years earlier that there was no Santa Claus.

M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Mark Steese

Jan 31, 2004, 11:34:01 PM1/31/04
"M C Hamster" <davo...@speakeasy.hairnet> wrote in

> "James Gifford" <n...@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in message
>>
>> > Scroll down the page and you will see:
>> >
>> > "Lupe Velez [1908-44] "Mexican Spitfire" - Went out in style by
>> > committing suicide by swallowing pills amid a roomful of flowers. "
>> >
>> > Maybe the bathroom had flowers in it.
>>
>> He missed the really good part of the story.
>>
>> > I question the accuracy of some of the listings.
>>
>> Ditto.
>
> Well, it cites Nick Adams as being in Rebel Without a Cause, whereas
> of course he was The Rebel on TV.

He also played Chick in Rebel Without a Cause, though.

M C Hamster

Feb 1, 2004, 12:06:13 AM2/1/04
"Mark Steese" <mere_...@charter.net> wrote in message

> "M C Hamster" <davo...@speakeasy.hairnet> wrote in
>
> > "James Gifford" <n...@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in message

> >> He missed the really good part of the story.

> >> Ditto.
> >
> > Well, it cites Nick Adams as being in Rebel Without a Cause, whereas
> > of course he was The Rebel on TV.
>
> He also played Chick in Rebel Without a Cause, though.

Well I'll be. I stand corrected. I am chagrined.

artyw

Feb 1, 2004, 12:00:39 PM2/1/04
James Gifford <n...@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in message news:<4c741e16cc79c5dd...@news.teranews.com>...

> oswaldac...@aol.com (OswaldActedAlone) wrote:
> The "Mexican Spitfire" was a successful B-movie actress who experienced a
> downturn in popularity and being dumped by a lover - whose child she had
> also discovered she was carrying. She decided to go out in grand style,
> and so had a lunch of her favorite enchiladas, took a huge handful of
> barbiturates, and laid down in a white dressing gown on a white couch
> surrounded by white flowers, prepared to be discovered "sleeping"
> peacefully in white beauty.
>
> The enchiladas and pills had a fight, and she apparently had to run to
> the bathroom to throw up. Woozy, she slipped, jammed her head in the
> toilet, and drowned.

She should have had the tacos instead.

James Gifford

Feb 1, 2004, 12:56:58 PM2/1/04
"can...@thelast.mile" <can...@thelast.mile> wrote:
> Well, this doesn't top the "head in a toilet" thing, but didn't Elvis
> die from pinching a loaf? Is that true?

He was on the can, reading a book about "the scientific search for Jesus"
or some such, and had a heart attack. It might have been from a strainful
pinch.

rich tintera

Feb 1, 2004, 2:42:02 PM2/1/04
oswaldac...@aol.com (OswaldActedAlone) wrote in message news:<20040131154506...@mb-m21.aol.com>...

> Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
> and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths
>
> http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html

Check out the book "Hollywood Babylon" (and its sequel) for lots of
interesting deaths.

Incredible Rhyme Animal

Feb 1, 2004, 3:23:57 PM2/1/04
James Gifford n...@nitrosyncretic.kom writes:

>"can...@thelast.mile" <can...@thelast.mile> wrote:
>> Well, this doesn't top the "head in a toilet" thing, but didn't Elvis
>> die from pinching a loaf? Is that true?
>
>He was on the can, reading a book about "the scientific search for Jesus"
>or some such, and had a heart attack. It might have been from a strainful
>pinch.

While Presley's body was found in the bathroom, the bathroom at Graceland
served a dual function as library, and it's unlikely a fellow with the massive
quanity of narcotics in his system the king had would've been moving his bowels
for the next few days.

I believe Heart Attack, or irregular heartbeat, is the official cause of death,
and indeed it's likely Elvis inherited a predeliction for heart disease from
his mother, it would be foolish to deny the role of a massive drug stack in his
death.

Mark Steese

Feb 1, 2004, 3:45:15 PM2/1/04
rich_t...@yahoo.com (rich tintera) wrote in

And lots of non-existent documentation.

Ken Anger probably didn't invent any of the rumors he reports, but he
definitely didn't spend a lot of time trying to verify them. The odd
thing is that there are plenty of authentically lurid stories about
Hollywood stars, but he preferred made-up ones. (Either that, or he was
the most gullible human being who ever lived.)

Blinky the Shark

Feb 2, 2004, 4:13:22 AM2/2/04
James Gifford wrote:

> "can...@thelast.mile" <can...@thelast.mile> wrote:

>> Well, this doesn't top the "head in a toilet" thing, but didn't Elvis
>> die from pinching a loaf? Is that true?

> He was on the can, reading a book about "the scientific search for Jesus"
> or some such, and had a heart attack. It might have been from a strainful
> pinch.

Saw a one-frame cartoon the other day, of Elvis sitting on the can,
reading a newspaper and whistling or humming (per the balloon) a tune,
which device was used to show that he was happy. The caption was,
"Elvis, unplugged."

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Happily slrning again.

Lots42 The Library Avenger

Feb 2, 2004, 4:32:34 PM2/2/04
>From: george...@aol.comWerewikf (Incredible Rhyme Animal)

> While Presley's body was found in the bathroom, the bathroom at Graceland
>served a dual function as library, and it's unlikely a fellow with the
>massive
>quanity of narcotics in his system the king had would've been moving his
>bowels
>for the next few days.

Elvis is male. EVERY male's bathroom serves as dual function as a library.
Because most women leave guys' bathrooms alone.

Lots42 The Library Avenger

Feb 2, 2004, 4:33:23 PM2/2/04
>From: "M C Hamster" davo...@speakeasy.hairnet

>My brother told me that Superman killed himself, and I cried just like I did
>when he told me a few years earlier that there was no Santa Claus.

Did Superman kill Santa Claus?

groo

Feb 3, 2004, 3:34:22 PM2/3/04
"M C Hamster" <davo...@speakeasy.hairnet> asserted in news:401c8885$0
$76081$45be...@newscene.com:

> Well I'll be. I stand corrected. I am chagrined.

"I am chagrined." That's it? That's all ya got?

My faith in hamsters has been severely eroded.

--
"It was absolutely marvelous working for Pauli. You could ask him anything.
There was no worry that he would think a particular question was stupid,

M C Hamster

Feb 3, 2004, 4:25:17 PM2/3/04
"groo" <gr...@groo.org> wrote in message

> "M C Hamster" <davo...@speakeasy.hairnet> asserted in news:401c8885$0
> $76081$45be...@newscene.com:
>
> > Well I'll be. I stand corrected. I am chagrined.
>
> "I am chagrined." That's it? That's all ya got?
>
> My faith in hamsters has been severely eroded.

I just would never, ever, ever have thought to check to see if Nick Adams,

renowned as Johnny Yuma, The Rebel on TV was also actually in Rebel Without
a Cause. I wonder how many stars have been on TV shows with a similar name
to an unrelated movie? It's a statistical anomaly.

So, what... you want me to throw myself, groveling on the ground? I have
far too much pride for that. I think chagrin is an appropriate level of
shame for this offense.

James Gifford

Feb 3, 2004, 4:52:16 PM2/3/04
"M C Hamster" <davo...@speakeasy.hairnet> wrote:
> I just would never, ever, ever have thought to check to see if Nick
> Adams, renowned as Johnny Yuma, The Rebel on TV was also actually in
> Rebel Without a Cause. I wonder how many stars have been on TV shows
> with a similar name to an unrelated movie? It's a statistical
> anomaly.

Search for "Carrie Anne Moss" and "Matrix."

:)

Beaver Fever

Dec 5, 2022, 2:02:44 AM12/5/22
There are people who go out of their way trying to pretend this book isn't 100% true

Qaiser Tariq

Mar 8, 2023, 11:13:48 PM3/8/23
Quanking is a team with rich experience in the integrated circuit sales industry, dedicated to providing a full range of wholesale electronic components suppliers and technical services for the majority of industry partners.
Visit our site:
https://quanking.com/product-category/microchip/

Qaiser Tariq

Mar 8, 2023, 11:15:29 PM3/8/23
Quanking is a team with rich experience in the integrated circuit sales industry, dedicated to providing
a full range of wholesale electronic components suppliers and technical services for the majority of industry partners.
Visit our site for more details
https://quanking.com/product-category/microchip/