A question about some things that senior citizens seem to like

Roger House

Mar 27, 2023, 4:22:58 PM3/27/23
Seemingly, why do senior citizens like the following things? I'm NOT trying to make fun of them or anything, I'm just genuinely curious about why they like them , if they DO like them.

1.) "Big boat", (as I THINK that I've heard and/or seen them referred to before at times), style 4 door sedan cars.

2.) Eating supper at a time something like 4:00p.m. or 4:30p.m.

3.) Cafeteria restaurants.

4.) Eating breakfast at a fast food restaurant.

Thank you.

John Halpenny

Mar 27, 2023, 6:05:03 PM3/27/23
Not in order. Yes. I am a senior,

3, Where are there cafeterias these days? I like to see what is available and what I am getting, and also how much I am getting. When I am alone, I dislike sitting by myself doing nothing waiting for the waiter.

4. I can get up and go to where there are people, and not bother making it myself.

2. I'm retired. I can eat as soon as I feel like it.

1. I never drove a "boat", but many of us grew up thinking that is what a "real" car looks like, and if we can afford it, why not? Why save our money - the kids will just spend it.

John

Michael Trew

Mar 28, 2023, 2:54:46 PM3/28/23
I'm not a senior citizen -- I'm in my late 20's (youngest on Usenet
award???), but I feel compelled to answer anyway.

I love driving old 60's full-size cars; it's fun (just not for a daily
driver -- Gas $$$). I have more fun cruising in an old "boat" than any
modern sport car. I have a '68 Buick LeSabre in the garage.

US citizens always adored huge cars. When government/EPA restrictions
phased out "boat" cars, manufacturers started making SUV's classified as
"light trucks" to skirt around regulation... now everyone likes big
SUV's, instead of big cars. Same thing, different look/generation.

Many older folks go to bed earlier, and they also eat earlier. Besides,
it's healthy to eat a larger meal earlier in the day, rather than eat
supper at 7 PM and vegetate on the couch until bedtime.

Eating breakfast at a fast food restaurant, because many small town
donut shops and diners from the "old days" that people used to eat at
are now gone. This is/was less for the food, and more for the social
interaction.

Cafeteria food is usually soft and easy to digest? LOL. We have a
cafeteria like this in town, and I go for old-style "home cooking" every
now and again.

Les Albert

Mar 29, 2023, 3:07:05 PM3/29/23
Seemingly, you have painted all senior cititzens with the same brush -
and that is wrong. If you know senior citizens who do all those
things then you are hanging out with a bunch of clods, and I suggest
you find new senior citizen friends.

I also know from you past posts that you are up there in years, and
you are approaching senior citizenry yourself. I would wonder what
kind of car you drive, but I don't think you yet own a car. And where
do you like to dine (and I'll bet that you don't eat supper any later
than 5:30pm)?

Les

Snidely

Mar 29, 2023, 5:08:06 PM3/29/23
Remember Monday, when John Halpenny asked plaintively:
Interesting From: line. Any relatives in Hull, UK?

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Snidely

Mar 29, 2023, 5:15:17 PM3/29/23
Les Albert used thar keyboard to writen:
Doesn't dinner time depend in part on your shift schedule?

Or when you get up; I currently don't worry about 10 am office
meetings or group calls, and see dawn from the wrong side more often
than upon arising.

While I don't have a sports car like the one you showed in the AFCA
album, and my John Helmer hat is as long gone as my greek fisherman's
cap, I do like quickness in my car. Currently driving a compact
electromechanical thingy, but I haven't upgraded the tires (or the
brakes!) to feel comfortable at 90 mph.

(Not too be confused with the sort of small electromechanical thingy
often seen near Leisure World; I only drive one of those when
exercising horses.)

/dps

--
Trust, but verify.

Les Albert

Mar 29, 2023, 8:16:37 PM3/29/23
On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:15:12 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Les Albert used thar keyboard to writen:
>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:22:57 -0700 (PDT), Roger House
>> <raus...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> Seemingly, why do senior citizens like the following things? I'm NOT trying
>>> to make fun of them or anything, I'm just genuinely curious about why they
>>> like them , if they DO like them. 1.) "Big boat", (as I THINK that I've
>>> heard and/or seen them referred to before at times), style 4 door sedan
>>> cars. 2.) Eating supper at a time something like 4:00p.m. or 4:30p.m. 3.)
>>> Cafeteria restaurants. 4.) Eating breakfast at a fast food restaurant.
>>> Thank you.

>> Seemingly, you have painted all senior cititzens with the same brush -
>> and that is wrong. If you know senior citizens who do all those
>> things then you are hanging out with a bunch of clods, and I suggest
>> you find new senior citizen friends.
>> I also know from you past posts that you are up there in years, and
>> you are approaching senior citizenry yourself. I would wonder what
>> kind of car you drive, but I don't think you yet own a car. And where
>> do you like to dine (and I'll bet that you don't eat supper any later
>> than 5:30pm)?
>> Les

>Doesn't dinner time depend in part on your shift schedule?

I don't think seniors citizens are concerned with shift schedules.
If they are then they have problems other than when they have dinner.

>Or when you get up; I currently don't worry about 10 am office
>meetings or group calls, and see dawn from the wrong side more often
>than upon arising.
>While I don't have a sports car like the one you showed in the AFCA
>album, and my John Helmer hat is as long gone as my greek fisherman's
>cap, I do like quickness in my car. Currently driving a compact
>electromechanical thingy, but I haven't upgraded the tires (or the
>brakes!) to feel comfortable at 90 mph.
>(Not too be confused with the sort of small electromechanical thingy
>often seen near Leisure World; I only drive one of those when
>exercising horses.)

My last sports car was the 1986 Mazda RX7. I presently have a Honda
sedan (senior citizen size). All cars today can go fast, but why
would you want to go 90 mph in any car? The cars may be up to it, but
I don't think most of the the drivers are.

Les

bil...@shaw.ca

Mar 30, 2023, 1:45:40 AM3/30/23
On Wednesday, March 29, 2023 at 5:16:37 PM UTC-7, Les Albert wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:15:12 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>

> >While I don't have a sports car like the one you showed in the AFCA
> >album, and my John Helmer hat is as long gone as my greek fisherman's
> >cap, I do like quickness in my car. Currently driving a compact
> >electromechanical thingy, but I haven't upgraded the tires (or the
> >brakes!) to feel comfortable at 90 mph.
> >(Not too be confused with the sort of small electromechanical thingy
> >often seen near Leisure World; I only drive one of those when
> >exercising horses.)
> My last sports car was the 1986 Mazda RX7. I presently have a Honda
> sedan (senior citizen size). All cars today can go fast, but why
> would you want to go 90 mph in any car? The cars may be up to it, but
> I don't think most of the the drivers are.

I have a Subaru Forester with a five-speed stick shift that drives like a
sports car. I got it because the passenger seat was at a good height
for my wife to climb in from her wheelchair, and the cargo space was
the perfect size for a folded-up wheelchair. But I love taking that thing
up a steep hill. It growls, it leaps, and then it purrs.

bill

HVS

Mar 30, 2023, 9:55:10 AM3/30/23
On 29 Mar 2023, Les Albert wrote

-sniip-

> And where do you like to dine (and I'll bet that you don't eat
> supper any later than 5:30pm)?

Just to mention how much the answer to that depends on one's location.

When I lived in Canada, the evening meal for families -- I define this
by asking myself what time I should avoid phoning if I don't want to
interrupt someone's meal -- was between 5:00 and 6:30pm-ish.

In the UK (where I've lived since 1982), the time to avoid would be
6:30 to 8:30-ish.

As is the case for lots of people, it's changed with age: a few years
ago, my wife and I (now in our 70s) moved our evening meal time from
8:00 to 7:00pm. (Digestion issues R us.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Beaver Fever

Apr 1, 2023, 1:06:09 AM4/1/23
I eat as late as possible. Less likely to wake up in middle of night hungry.

Snidely

Dec 30, 2023, 9:27:14 PM12/30/23
On Wednesday, Les Albert queried:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:15:12 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Les Albert used thar keyboard to writen:

>>> I also know from you past posts that you are up there in years, and
>>> you are approaching senior citizenry yourself. I would wonder what
>>> kind of car you drive, but I don't think you yet own a car. And where
>>> do you like to dine (and I'll bet that you don't eat supper any later
>>> than 5:30pm)?
>>> Les
>

>> Doesn't dinner time depend in part on your shift schedule?
>

> I don't think seniors citizens are concerned with shift schedules.
> If they are then they have problems other than when they have dinner.

I think Roger may still be doing shift work. You were addressing /his/
dinner time.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Les Albert

Jan 1, 2024, 11:09:38 PMJan 1
On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:27:07 -0800, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I was actually addressing the generalities that he sometimes spouts as
if they were proven facts.

Les

HVS

Jan 2, 2024, 6:25:13 AMJan 2
On 27 Mar 2023, Roger House wrote

> Seemingly, why do senior citizens like the following things? I'm
> NOT trying to make fun of them or anything, I'm just genuinely
> curious about why they like them , if they DO like them.

I'm 71 (semi-retired), and my wife is 74 (retired), living in
southern England, so I think we qualify as "senior citizens".

> 1.) "Big boat", (as I THINK that I've heard and/or seen them
> referred to before at times), style 4 door sedan cars.

We have a Peugeot 208, which was purchased 2 years ago to replace a
Honda Jazz; I notice more people my age driving that size of car
rather than the ones that don't fit in a standard car parking slot.
(I'd say those are driven more by middle-aged people rather than
seniors).

(FWIW, I'd never own a two-door car, but my preference for four doors
dates to long before I became a senior citizen.)

> 2.) Eating supper at a time something like 4:00p.m. or 4:30p.m.

We changed our evening meal time from 8:00 pm to 7:00 pm a few years
ago, mainly to give us additional time to digest our food before
bedtime (which is 11:00/11:30).

I can't say I know anybody who eats their evening meal before about
6:00/6:30, let alone 4:00/4:30.

> 3.) Cafeteria restaurants.

Nope; don't like those. I associate them very much with families,
with the seniors along as grandparents rather than by their own
choice.

> 4.) Eating breakfast at a fast food restaurant.

I treat myself to breakfast at a local cafe (a non-greasy greasy
spoon) a couple of times a week. I sometimes ate breakfast at a
fast-food restaurant when I was working full-time, usually when I was
out and about on site visits to building sites and archives. My
impression is that it's more a working-age demographic that eats
breakfast in such places, rather than an age cohort.

Are you referring to North American senior citizens? I think the
preferences you mention correlate much more with n location than age.

--
Cheers,
Harvey