Ping: JohnMc

Tim Wright

Jan 14, 2017, 7:24:32 PM1/14/17
You'll like this.

http://imgur.com/gallery/D2IO4
--
The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get
worse every time Congress meets.
Will Rogers

Tim W

John Mc.

Jan 14, 2017, 8:43:19 PM1/14/17
On 1/14/2017 7:24 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
> You'll like this.
>
> http://imgur.com/gallery/D2IO4

LOL. I'd need a step stool. The driving side of this is intersections
with multiple left turn lanes. And drivers don't think about WHY they
have a whit Stop line that's back from the others. It so drivers making
lefts across in front of them can make the turn without swerving into
the path of drivers in the other left turn lane. An example:

<https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4176024,-86.8385063,21z/data=!3m1!1e3>

If the car in the far left turn lane on south Creasy lane stops past the
stop line the cars in the inside turn lane making the left from west
bound South street have a problem. Witness where their turn lane meets
the corner of the other turn lane.

<https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4174975,-86.8389853,3a,60y,200.81h,74.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5Cq93kFNRD7fQGy82TkgMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656>

I had an idiot pull halfway past the the stop line and I just plain
couldn't make my turn because of traffic in the other turn lane. I ended
up pulling untill I'm almost hitting him then sitting there with my hand
on the horn until SFB backed up.

John Mc.
I also told him what his IQ was.

Tim Wright

Jan 14, 2017, 9:25:23 PM1/14/17
I'm convinced we went to different schools together. I've set through
an entire cycle with my hand on the horn, I don't care how embarrassed
they get.

> John Mc.
> I also told him what his IQ was.

John Mc.

Jan 14, 2017, 9:53:52 PM1/14/17
On 1/14/2017 9:25 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
> On 1/14/2017 19:43, John Mc. wrote:
>> On 1/14/2017 7:24 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
>>> You'll like this.
>>>
>>> http://imgur.com/gallery/D2IO4
>>
>> LOL. I'd need a step stool. The driving side of this is intersections
>> with multiple left turn lanes. And drivers don't think about WHY they
>> have a whit Stop line that's back from the others. It so drivers making
>> lefts across in front of them can make the turn without swerving into
>> the path of drivers in the other left turn lane. An example:
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4176024,-86.8385063,21z/data=!3m1!1e3>
>>
>> If the car in the far left turn lane on south Creasy lane stops past the
>> stop line the cars in the inside turn lane making the left from west
>> bound South street have a problem. Witness where their turn lane meets
>> the corner of the other turn lane.
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4174975,-86.8389853,3a,60y,200.81h,74.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5Cq93kFNRD7fQGy82TkgMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656>
>>

>> I had an idiot pull halfway past the the stop line and I just plain
>> couldn't make my turn because of traffic in the other turn lane. I ended
>> up pulling untill I'm almost hitting him then sitting there with my hand
>> on the horn until SFB backed up.
>
> I'm convinced we went to different schools together. I've set through
> an entire cycle with my hand on the horn, I don't care how embarrassed
> they get.

A brother from a different mother. It's a matter of responsibility for
your errors. If I don't show them the error of their ways they'll keep
making the same mistakes. And a lot of it has to do with; "Did they
inconvenience me?" Or are they being a total ass. Both get my attention.

John Mc.

Snidely

Jan 15, 2017, 12:41:28 AM1/15/17
After serious thinking John Mc. wrote :
SoCAl has lots of intersections with multiple left turn lanes (two is
common). These intersections do not stagger the stop lines for the
cross traffic.

<URL:https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5708248,-117.7236305,84m/data=!3m1!1e3>

/dps

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are

Howard .

Jan 15, 2017, 12:10:19 PM1/15/17
"John Mc." <jo...@thetdcogre.com> wrote :

> On 1/14/2017 7:24 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
>> You'll like this.
>>
>> http://imgur.com/gallery/D2IO4
>
> LOL. I'd need a step stool. The driving side of this is intersections
> with multiple left turn lanes. And drivers don't think about WHY they
> have a whit Stop line that's back from the others. It so drivers
> making lefts across in front of them can make the turn without
> swerving into the path of drivers in the other left turn lane.

There are a couple of intersections I drive through where one of the
oncoming lanes has a set back white line for cars to stop behind when
the light is red. It's painted further back to let buses have enough
room to make a right turn. I've seen the drama a few times when cars
have pulled up too far and a bus has started the turn.

The bus drivers don't screw around -- they have the skill to approach
the front bumper of the car and they will start laying on the horn and
rocking the bus back and forth until their bumpers are nearly kissing,
and drivers have always gotten the message that if they don't back up,
nobody is getting through that intersection, and the bus driver just
might take off the front of their car.

I also go past a school in the morning and the crossing guards are
pretty fearless about confronting drivers who pull up too far at red
lights, and the guards can often be seen staring (and yelling and
whistling) at them until they back up so kids can cross.

Charles Bishop

Jan 15, 2017, 12:50:57 PM1/15/17
In article <o5ek0m$tua$1...@dont-email.me>,
"John Mc." <jo...@thetdcogre.com> wrote:

> On 1/14/2017 7:24 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
> > You'll like this.
> >
> > http://imgur.com/gallery/D2IO4
>
> LOL. I'd need a step stool. The driving side of this is intersections
> with multiple left turn lanes. And drivers don't think about WHY they
> have a whit Stop line that's back from the others. It so drivers making
> lefts across in front of them can make the turn without swerving into
> the path of drivers in the other left turn lane. An example:
>
> <https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4176024,-86.8385063,21z/data=!3m1!1e3>
>
> If the car in the far left turn lane on south Creasy lane stops past the
> stop line the cars in the inside turn lane making the left from west
> bound South street have a problem. Witness where their turn lane meets
> the corner of the other turn lane.

All true, but how do you know the car over the limit line is parked
there, or the camera caught it traveling at that spot at that moment?

> <https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4174975,-86.8389853,3a,60y,200.81h,74.55t/dat
> a=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5Cq93kFNRD7fQGy82TkgMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656>
>
> I had an idiot pull halfway past the the stop line and I just plain
> couldn't make my turn because of traffic in the other turn lane. I ended
> up pulling untill I'm almost hitting him then sitting there with my hand
> on the horn until SFB backed up.

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Jan 15, 2017, 12:53:03 PM1/15/17
In article <mn.75157e1170d55d10.127094@snitoo>,
In that photo and in other places I've seen there is enough room in the
intersection that a staggered limit line isn't necessary. However, I
haven't seen every intersection in the Greater LA Area.

--
charles

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 3:04:08 PM1/15/17
Wider intersections, I'd say. Several of the newer ones on the edge of
Lafayette aren't staggered either but were designed not to need it.

John Mc.

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 3:06:49 PM1/15/17
On 1/15/2017 12:50 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
> In article <o5ek0m$tua$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "John Mc." <jo...@thetdcogre.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/14/2017 7:24 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
>>> You'll like this.
>>>
>>> http://imgur.com/gallery/D2IO4
>>
>> LOL. I'd need a step stool. The driving side of this is intersections
>> with multiple left turn lanes. And drivers don't think about WHY they
>> have a whit Stop line that's back from the others. It so drivers making
>> lefts across in front of them can make the turn without swerving into
>> the path of drivers in the other left turn lane. An example:
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4176024,-86.8385063,21z/data=!3m1!1e3>
>>
>> If the car in the far left turn lane on south Creasy lane stops past the
>> stop line the cars in the inside turn lane making the left from west
>> bound South street have a problem. Witness where their turn lane meets
>> the corner of the other turn lane.
>
> All true, but how do you know the car over the limit line is parked
> there, or the camera caught it traveling at that spot at that moment?

I only used that picture because I'm used to drivers overshooting their
marks there.

John Mc.

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 3:16:24 PM1/15/17
There's a small town I pass through on my way home. I've had glaring
contests with a school bus driver because she stops to let off one group
of children and then leaves her yellow blinkers on and moves forward
about 3/4 bus length for another. Well, if I'm at the front of the
line, so to speak, I pull up to about 6 or 7 feet from her front
bumper. The kids can walk straight across the road and I'm not blocking
them in any way. But if I stop at what she seems to think is the
appropriate distance when she moves forward I'm caught for another round
of children instead of her moving past me to let her charges off. I
honestly think it's a power trip for her.

John Mc.

John Mc.

Howard .

Jan 15, 2017, 3:53:21 PM1/15/17
"John Mc." <jo...@thetdcogre.com> wrote

> There's a small town I pass through on my way home. I've had glaring
> contests with a school bus driver because she stops to let off one group
> of children and then leaves her yellow blinkers on and moves forward
> about 3/4 bus length for another. Well, if I'm at the front of the
> line, so to speak, I pull up to about 6 or 7 feet from her front
> bumper. The kids can walk straight across the road and I'm not blocking
> them in any way. But if I stop at what she seems to think is the
> appropriate distance when she moves forward I'm caught for another round
> of children instead of her moving past me to let her charges off. I
> honestly think it's a power trip for her.

I'm having a hard time imagining why a bus driver would make two stops so
close to one another. I'm having trouble seeing why or even how the driver
would sort out who gets out at the first stop and who gets off 20 feet
further, and then trying to get a bunch of eight or thirteen year olds to
listen and sit down until the bus lurches 3/4 of length forward.

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 6:41:22 PM1/15/17
Kind of why I do what I do. And I'm serious, she stops with red blinkers
flashing. Then the arm goes in and with the yellow flashers on she moves a
short distance forward and it's red lights again. The same school has a
crossing guard that puts up her sign and walks out to stop traffic so the
school buses can more easily pull out on to the highway through town.

John Mc.

BillT...@billturlock.com

Jan 15, 2017, 6:51:49 PM1/15/17
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 20:43:14 -0500, "John Mc."
<jo...@thetdcogre.com> wrote:

>John Mc.
>I also told him what his IQ was.

5-4?

BillT...@billturlock.com

Jan 15, 2017, 6:54:37 PM1/15/17
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 20:25:16 -0600, Tim Wright
<tlwri...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm convinced we went to different schools together. I've set through
>an entire cycle with my hand on the horn, I don't care how embarrassed
>they get.

That reminds me I've got to install the "air horn" accessory on
the Sub' RSN

Les Albert

Jan 15, 2017, 7:11:40 PM1/15/17
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 18:41:22 -0500, John Mc. <Jo...@tdcogre.com> wrote:

> ... The same school has a
>crossing guard that puts up her sign and walks out to stop traffic so the
>school buses can more easily pull out on to the highway through town.

Why is that a bad procedure?

Les

Tim Wright

Jan 15, 2017, 8:39:17 PM1/15/17
What really frosts my butt are the crossing guards that stop traffic for
a group of kids, then after they've crossed, keep traffic stopped for
the next bunch which is still half a block away. Or stop the traffic
for an adult out jogging.

--
Mother Nature
"You cannot fit all of the seasons into one week."

Tim W

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 10:06:53 PM1/15/17
Traffics not that heavy, Les. It's more of a "Gee, look what I can do"
thing.

John Mc.

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 10:12:09 PM1/15/17
I want one like this:

<http://www.boomblasters.com/big-bubba-programmable-car-horn-p-476.html>

with an instrumental version of "If I only had a brain."

John Mc.

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 10:16:21 PM1/15/17
At my work the doors are locked by magnetic seals. To enter one has to
put his badge next to an RFID reader and the seal disengages. I've no
problem with Tom holding the door for Dick who's at the bottom of the
steps. But in cold weather holding it for Harry who's just pulling into
the lot is a little much.

John Mc.

Tim Wright

Jan 15, 2017, 10:26:47 PM1/15/17
When I was at IBM they threatened us with termination for permitting
someone to "tailgate".

John Mc.

Jan 15, 2017, 11:23:52 PM1/15/17
I have a list of idiots they could fire. But do they listen to me????
Nooooooooo.

John Mc.

Lesmond

Jan 16, 2017, 12:30:06 AM1/16/17
Don't get me started.

--
She may contain the urge to run away
But hold her down with soggy clothes and breeze blocks

Snidely

Jan 16, 2017, 12:56:20 AM1/16/17
On Sunday, Charles Bishop pointed out that ...
That's very common in SoCal, from what I can tell. Sometimes when
there's less room, they don't do 2 turn lanes but make the pocket
longer. On the other hand, I did encounter this intersection today,
less than 5 miles from the other one:

<URL:https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5459349,-117.7528723,517m/data=!3m1!1e3>

I don't know why Rockfield has staggered stop lines, but it does.

(the building shown under construction is in business now, of course.
and there's great pastrami sandwiches a couple hundred feet past the
bus stop on the north side.)

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.

Snidely

Jan 16, 2017, 12:56:22 AM1/16/17
On Sunday, John Mc. pointed out that ...
You know, I tend to side with school bus drivers, given the number of
times people blow through the red lights. One school bus driver I know
was very grateful for the day the cop tailed her vehicle for a while.

Either you live in an area where drivers make SoCal drivers look smart,
or your judgement of other drivers is much more sour than most.

Questor

Jan 16, 2017, 12:04:17 PM1/16/17

I witnessed this as a pedestrian many years ago...

The scene: a "T" intersection in a small New England town where the streets
are not overly wide. There's a small concrete island a few feet long and a
couple feet wide dividing the one (vertical) street where it joined the cross
street of the T. Two cars are waiting to enter the cross street; the one at the
head of the line wants to turn left.

A car travelling from right to left on the cross street apparently wanted to
turn around, so they turned left down the T and canted their car to make a
U-turn around the bottom of the island, which they couldn't complete because of
the two cars already waiting there. But another car had followed the first down
the T, and a third car behind them also started to turn left, but couldn't
complete its turn because the first car had stopped, and thus it was stuck
diagonally across the intersection, blocking both lanes of the cross street.
Now five cars are stuck in a small circle and no one is going anywhere.

When I saw this situation develop, I stopped in my tracks to watch it play out.
I waited for the driver of the first car to follow the chain of causality and
figure out that what was ultimately preventing them from making their (illegal)
U-turn was... themselves! And that the only way out was to abandon the U-turn
and continue straight down the T. It took the better part of a minute...

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the
world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

Howard .

Jan 16, 2017, 12:12:57 PM1/16/17
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote

> You know, I tend to side with school bus drivers, given the number of
> times people blow through the red lights. One school bus driver I
> know was very grateful for the day the cop tailed her vehicle for a
> while.
>
> Either you live in an area where drivers make SoCal drivers look
> smart, or your judgement of other drivers is much more sour than most.

The other thing i can figure is that just as the bus was starting to move,
a bunch of kids started screaming that they were going to miss their stop.
My memories of school bus rides are that they were only slightly more
controlled than a prison riot.

Lesmond

Jan 17, 2017, 11:30:09 AM1/17/17
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:16:18 -0500, John Mc. wrote:

>At my work the doors are locked by magnetic seals.

I have one of those on my refrigerator. You mean I could put him to work?

Beaver Fever

Feb 18, 2024, 2:34:31 AMFeb 18
I went to Power Trip it was awesome