A Quarter Short

Snidely

Oct 11, 2018, 1:10:52 PM10/11/18
I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th,
captured this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy
Denverites have struck again.

Over the last 2 years, the league leaders have been
1998 39 coins
2016 TR 38 (the elder Mr Roosevelt, of course)
2015 Kisatchie 37
1995 36

The top states are
2000 Virginia 26
2000 S Carolina 25
2000 Massachusetts 24

Spin that on your milled edges!

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"

Rick B.

Oct 11, 2018, 5:51:41 PM10/11/18
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote in news:mn.5a627e2adc0fbc50.127094
@snitoo:

> I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th,
> captured this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy
> Denverites have struck again.
>
> Over the last 2 years, the league leaders have been
> 1998 39 coins
> 2016 TR 38 (the elder Mr Roosevelt, of course)
> 2015 Kisatchie 37
> 1995 36
>
> The top states are
> 2000 Virginia 26
> 2000 S Carolina 25
> 2000 Massachusetts 24
>
> Spin that on your milled edges!

I got a D-mint 2008 Hawaii the other day--not many of those here in NJ.

Turning to paper money, has anybody seen bills with Mnuchin's signature
yet? Over 1.5 years in and I got nothin'.

Snidely

Oct 12, 2018, 3:08:56 AM10/12/18
On Thursday, Rick B. yelped out that:

> I got a D-mint 2008 Hawaii the other day--not many of those here in NJ.

Even out here, I've only got 14 D and 1 P for the state, and 9 D 1 P
fir the volcanoes.

> Turning to paper money, has anybody seen bills with Mnuchin's signature
> yet? Over 1.5 years in and I got nothin'.

In a quick look across 6 denominations, I hold

1 2003A
1 2004
5 2009
1 2009A
7 2013

So good luck!

/dps

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"

Questor

Oct 12, 2018, 3:27:25 AM10/12/18
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 10:10:48 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th,
>captured this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy
>Denverites have struck again.
>
>Over the last 2 years, the league leaders have been

I still haven't seen any of the George Rogers Clark from 2017.

While I don't in any way tally what passes through my hands, the numbers would
seem to track with the mintage totals -- i.e., not many Chaco Canyon or El
Yunque, and lots of Blue Ridge Parkway and Harpers Ferry. What I don't
understand is why there would be so much variation. As many as twenty times
more of the highest minted coins are produced than the lowest.

Snidely

Oct 12, 2018, 4:35:36 AM10/12/18
Questor noted that:

> What I don't
> understand is why there would be so much variation. As many as twenty times
> more of the highest minted coins are produced than the lowest.

"Don't make more than 1000 rolls of quarters until the banks ask for
more."

"Damn, we can't get rid of those Blue Ridges ... better scale back the
Fort Moultrie until we have room."

(Just guessing, of course, and I'm sure they have sophisticated ways of
predicting the need for any given denomination.)

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the

Howard

Oct 12, 2018, 10:45:57 AM10/12/18
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Questor noted that:
>
>> What I don't
>> understand is why there would be so much variation. As many as
>> twenty times more of the highest minted coins are produced than the
>> lowest.
>
> "Don't make more than 1000 rolls of quarters until the banks ask for
> more."
>
> "Damn, we can't get rid of those Blue Ridges ... better scale back the
> Fort Moultrie until we have room."
>
> (Just guessing, of course, and I'm sure they have sophisticated ways
> of predicting the need for any given denomination.)

Isn't a lot of the fiscal justification for new coin designs and the
numbers minted based on assumptions about collectors taking coins out of
circulation?

I know that big reason for the failure of a recent move to stop making
dollar bills and only have coins is that backers couldn't come up with a
convincing economic argument -- once they weighed the benefits of longer
life of coins against the cheaper cost of paper bills, the only thing
that tipped the balance toward coins was assumptions about the number of
coins people would stick in a change jar or lose in sofa cusions.

Les Albert

Oct 12, 2018, 3:05:27 PM10/12/18
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 01:35:31 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Questor noted that:

>> What I don't
>> understand is why there would be so much variation. As many as twenty times
>> more of the highest minted coins are produced than the lowest.

>"Don't make more than 1000 rolls of quarters until the banks ask for
>more."
>"Damn, we can't get rid of those Blue Ridges ... better scale back the
>Fort Moultrie until we have room."
>(Just guessing, of course, and I'm sure they have sophisticated ways of
>predicting the need for any given denomination.)

According to the GAO:
In 2009, the Federal Reserve’s Cash Product Office (CPO) established
national upper and lower inventory targets for pennies, nickels,
dimes, and quarters to track and measure the coin inventory. National
upper and lower inventory targets are reviewed and updated annually.
In 2013, the upper national inventory targets were set based on the
average peak Reserve Bank coin inventory from 2009 to 2012, and the
lower national targets were set based on the 10 consecutive days from
2009 to 2012 with the most coin payments to depository institutions.
Figures 9 through 12 present the Reserve Bank inventories of quarters,
dimes, nickels and pennies from 2009 through 2012 and upper and lower
national inventory targets from 2009 through 2013.1

This is from an appendix buried in the 2013 GAO report, and you can
delve into the entire report at
https://www.gao.gov/assets/660/658599.pdf

It seems tha all the various quarters are already made and stored, and
they are distributed in a random fashion depending upon the Reserve
Bank inventory of quarters (that's the way I interpret what was
published, but your results may vary).

Les

Snidely

Apr 11, 2019, 2:43:40 PM4/11/19
With a Quarter shot, Snidely was thinking very hard:

> I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th, captured
> this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy Denverites have struck
> again.

I've still only seen 4 of the [alleged] 5 stampings for 2018, and none
for 2019. The Eighteen-year-olds seen are "Apostle Islands",
"Cumberland Island", "Pictured Rocks", and "Voyageurs".

And I just had to update my 2010 entries with "Hot Springs" (Arkansas).
I haven't dug into my old cribbed notes to see if I had seen it in the
day, but this is the first one I've seen in the last 2 1/2 years.

The other notable in today's stack is a 2017 George Rogers Clark --
from back east (P to root for the Phillies).

You were thirsting for that, weren't you?

Snidely

Apr 18, 2019, 2:14:30 PM4/18/19
Snidely submitted this idea :
> I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th, captured
> this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy Denverites have struck
> again.
>
> Over the last 2 years, the league leaders have been

And over the last 2 1/2 years, the barely-on-the-leader-board entries
are:

2010 Hot Springs p 1
2011 Vicksburg p 1
2012 Acadia d 1
2012 Chaco Culture p 1
2012 El Yunque d 1
1970 dx 2
2009 Puerto Rico dd 2
2010 Grand Canyon dp 2
2011 Glacier dd 2
2011 Olympic dp 2
1969 xxx 3
2009 Guam ddd 3
2009 Virgin Islands ddp 3
2010 Mount Hood ddd 3
2010 Yosemite ddd 3
2011 Gettysburg ddd 3
2009 American Samoa dddd 4
2009 District of Columbia dddd 4
1968 ddpxx 5
2003 MO ddddp 5

(7 states have showed up in my pocket less than 10 times)

/dps "Opus was waiting for this with baited breath"

--
Trust, but verify.

Questor

Apr 19, 2019, 8:53:21 PM4/19/19
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 10:10:48 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th,
>captured this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy
>Denverites have struck again.

I got my first 2019 penny today.

bill van

Apr 19, 2019, 9:12:19 PM4/19/19
Canada stopped doing pennies in 2013. Nobody misses them.

bill

Questor

Apr 22, 2019, 2:39:42 PM4/22/19
Oh, I'm certain that some people miss them. Penny pinchers, no doubt. It may
be a small minority, but they're missed by somebody.

bill van

Apr 22, 2019, 2:47:09 PM4/22/19
In theory, perhaps. In practice, nobody ever talks about them.

There is actually one circumstance in which I still notice them. At the
supermarket, prices
after taxes are added rarely add up to multiples of five cents. If
you're paying cash,
the final price is rounded up or down to the nearest nickel, but if
you're paying
with a card, the exact price is charged to the penny.

bill

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2019, 4:07:08 PM4/22/19
Today, my change included a 1964(d) penny.

/dps

Rick B.

Apr 22, 2019, 5:55:12 PM4/22/19

BillT...@billturlock.com

Apr 22, 2019, 6:52:07 PM4/22/19
On 22 Apr 2019 21:55:10 GMT, "Rick B." <deep...@sprynet.com.aq>
wrote:
Just another ill-fated attempt to reduce the money supply, and
thus "inflation".
--
I had a hunch, back at Notre Dame

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2019, 4:00:48 PM4/23/19
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 3:52:07 PM UTC-7, BillT...@billturlock.com wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2019 21:55:10 GMT, "Rick B." <deep...@sprynet.com.aq>
> wrote:
> >Don't stop checking:
> >>https://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/deals-shopping/fl-bz-great-american-coin-hunt-20190417-story.html
>

> Just another ill-fated attempt to reduce the money supply, and
> thus "inflation".

It's a reduction in the money supply to add a bunch of new (and hoarded) coins?

/dps

BillT...@billturlock.com

Apr 24, 2019, 12:59:39 AM4/24/19
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:00:46 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com
wrote:
>It's a reduction in the money supply to add a bunch of new (and hoarded) coins?

Exactly. can you say "out of circulation"?

--
Something is dreadfully wrong, for I feel a deep burning pain in
my side.

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2019, 1:49:30 AM4/24/19
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 9:59:39 PM UTC-7, BillT...@billturlock.com wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:00:46 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com
> wrote:
> >It's a reduction in the money supply to add a bunch of new (and hoarded) coins?
>
> Exactly. can you say "out of circulation"?

Can you say, "back into circulation?"

/dps

BillT...@billturlock.com

Apr 24, 2019, 12:16:43 PM4/24/19
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 22:49:29 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com
wrote:
>> Exactly. can you say "out of circulation"?>
>Can you say, "back into circulation?">
>/dps

So when you find some you'll just spend them right away??!?

--
Monday morning quarterbacks are always 20/20
揖ierkegaard

Snidely

Apr 25, 2019, 3:04:24 AM4/25/19
Just this Wednesday, BillT...@BillTurlock.com explained that ...
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 22:49:29 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>> Exactly. can you say "out of circulation"?>
>> Can you say, "back into circulation?">
>> /dps
>
> So when you find some you'll just spend them right away??!?

Are you taking bets on how many people will notice?

Also, please note that the coins to be collected are ones that weren't
in circulation /last year/ but are being dumped into teller trays /this
year/.

/dps

--
Rule #0: Don't be on fire.
In case of fire, exit the building before tweeting about it.

BillT...@billturlock.com

Apr 25, 2019, 12:16:48 PM4/25/19
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 00:04:16 -0700, Snidely
<snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't believe I've thought this out well enough to properly
discuss it.

—out.

Bill Turlock--

“All music is folk music..."
— Louis Armstrong

Les Albert

Apr 25, 2019, 12:30:13 PM4/25/19
wrote:
>Just this Wednesday, BillT...@BillTurlock.com explained that ...

>>> Can you say, "back into circulation?">

>> So when you find some you'll just spend them right away??!?

>Are you taking bets on how many people will notice?
>Also, please note that the coins to be collected are ones that weren't
>in circulation /last year/ but are being dumped into teller trays /this
>year/.

You might be interested in this story from today's SF Chronicle:
https://tinyurl.com/y6bkr2js
titled, "How to spark interest in rare coins? Spend them, of course".
Your quarters are not rare in the same way, but it might be
interesting if you did this instead of spending them.

Les

Snidely

Apr 26, 2019, 2:51:41 AM4/26/19
Les Albert is guilty of <5in3ce1ga4q8aoiac...@4ax.com> as
of 4/25/2019 9:30:06 AM
What, if I spent them instead of spending them?

That article is similar to, but more localized than, the one BillT
linked to.

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler

Les Albert

Apr 26, 2019, 12:25:00 PM4/26/19
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 23:51:36 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Les Albert is guilty of <5in3ce1ga4q8aoiac...@4ax.com> as
>of 4/25/2019 9:30:06 AM
>> On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 00:04:16 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Just this Wednesday, BillT...@BillTurlock.com explained that ...

>>> Are you taking bets on how many people will notice?
>>> Also, please note that the coins to be collected are ones that weren't
>>> in circulation /last year/ but are being dumped into teller trays /this
>>> year/.
>>

>> You might be interested in this story from today's SF Chronicle:
>> https://tinyurl.com/y6bkr2js
>> titled, "How to spark interest in rare coins? Spend them, of course".
>> Your quarters are not rare in the same way, but it might be
>> interesting if you did this instead of spending them.
>
>What, if I spent them instead of spending them?

I was referring to hiding them for others to find. It might prove
more interesting than spending the quarters in the local laundromat.

Les

Snidely

Apr 27, 2019, 5:20:28 AM4/27/19
Lo, on the 4/26/2019, Les Albert did proclaim ...
It's bound to be exciting for someone to find a 2017 Theodore
Rooseveldt.

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

Les Albert

Apr 27, 2019, 12:46:06 PM4/27/19
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 02:20:19 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Some people get excited about finding them.

Les

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2019, 4:15:56 PM6/5/19
On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 11:43:40 AM UTC-7, Snidely wrote:
> With a Quarter shot, Snidely was thinking very hard:
>
> > I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th, captured
> > this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy Denverites have struck
> > again.
>
> I've still only seen 4 of the [alleged] 5 stampings for 2018, and none
> for 2019. The Eighteen-year-olds seen are "Apostle Islands",
> "Cumberland Island", "Pictured Rocks", and "Voyageurs".

6 weeks later, my 2018 Angst is finally eased by seeing "Block Island".
To celebrate:
<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT0QeD_mP1w>

/dps "Sorry, BillT, no cello solos, though the strings are there"

Questor

Jun 13, 2019, 1:11:13 PM6/13/19
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 13:15:54 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 11:43:40 AM UTC-7, Snidely wrote:
>> With a Quarter shot, Snidely was thinking very hard:
>>
>> > I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th, captured
>> > this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy Denverites have struck
>> > again.
>>
>> I've still only seen 4 of the [alleged] 5 stampings for 2018, and none
>> for 2019. The Eighteen-year-olds seen are "Apostle Islands",
>> "Cumberland Island", "Pictured Rocks", and "Voyageurs".
>
>6 weeks later, my 2018 Angst is finally eased by seeing "Block Island".

Two of the first three 2019s are from Pacific territories -- Guam and Northern
Mariana Islands. Good luck seeing those anytime soon.

snide...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2019, 4:09:32 PM6/13/19
I don't think they are minted there.

And weren't they 2009?

/dps

Questor

Jun 14, 2019, 3:11:05 AM6/14/19
They may not be minted there, but it certainly seems like they're disbursed from
there. And the number of coins for the territories can be markedly fewer.

>And weren't they 2009?

That was the D.C. and U.S. Territories series. This is the America the
Beautiful series (parks). Next I think is the America's Shopping Malls series.

Snidely

Jul 3, 2019, 12:46:50 PM7/3/19
Questor submitted this idea :
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:09:30 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Two of the first three 2019s are from Pacific territories -- Guam and
>>> Northern Mariana Islands. Good luck seeing those anytime soon.
>>
>> I don't think they are minted there.
>
> They may not be minted there, but it certainly seems like they're disbursed
> from there. And the number of coins for the territories can be markedly
> fewer.

I've skipped ahead to Lowell. Out of a laundrumette change machine.

And while the 2019 pennies aren't quite a dime a dozen, I've had
several, and can now confirm I've had at least one each of a dime and a
doz^W nickel of 2019 mintage.

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Questor

Jul 9, 2019, 9:23:45 PM7/9/19
Perhaps I spoke too soon. I just got a "War in the Pacific" (Guam), and it's
bright and shiny -- in better shape than any of the El Yunque or Chaco Culture
that I've received.

(What's the name for residents of Guam? Guamers? Guamians? Guamites?)

Snidely

Jul 17, 2019, 1:06:29 PM7/17/19
On Tuesday or thereabouts, Questor asked ...
I've been meaning for a few days to post that I have one (1) American
Memorial Park quarter. It's from the launduress change machine, but
the mix of quarters suggests that it did the pocket to washer to change
machine trip. (Which is what happens to most quarters at the
laundoria, which then becomes a cm->w->cm->w loop.)

> (What's the name for residents of Guam? Guamers? Guamians? Guamites?)

I don't have enough National Geographics handy to answer that, or the
parallel question for the North Marianas Islands.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

HVS

Jul 17, 2019, 1:32:10 PM7/17/19
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 10:06:24 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tuesday or thereabouts, Questor asked ...

> > (What's the name for residents of Guam? Guamers? Guamians?
Guamites?)

"Guamanians", according to Quora:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-people-from-Guam-called

Snidely

Jul 17, 2019, 2:15:36 PM7/17/19
Questor submitted this idea :

> Perhaps I spoke too soon. I just got a "War in the Pacific" (Guam), and it's
> bright and shiny -- in better shape than any of the El Yunque or Chaco
> Culture that I've received.

Some indication of condition for various quarters recently in my
possession.

<URL:https://searailfoam.net/images/other/dss20190717ag_c.jpg>

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Snidely

Jul 17, 2019, 2:19:51 PM7/17/19
Snidely submitted this idea :
Maybe I shouldn't have reduced the original so much, but this is my
standard posting size. Also, the phone camera was being annoying about
not being sharp off-center, even though it looked good on the screen; I
finally moved a little further away and [digitally] zoomed in.

/dps

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are

Snidely

Jul 28, 2019, 3:57:46 PM7/28/19
On Wednesday, Snidely pointed out that ...
> [In early July] or thereabouts, Questor asked ...

>> Perhaps I spoke too soon. I just got a "War in the Pacific" (Guam), and
>> it's
>> bright and shiny -- in better shape than any of the El Yunque or Chaco
>> Culture that I've received.
>
> I've been meaning for a few days to post that I have one (1) American
> Memorial Park quarter. It's from the launduress change machine, but the mix
> of quarters suggests that it did the pocket to washer to change machine trip.
> (Which is what happens to most quarters at the laundoria, which then becomes
> a cm->w->cm->w loop.)

In the last week or 10 days I got another American Memorial Park (this
one a P!), and it came from a cash register (along with a more worn
quarter, IIRC).

And going through the stack today, I actually had 3 instances of states
with 2 coins each .. VA is not a surprise, but NH and HI double up less
often.

/dps

--
Ieri, oggi, domani

Questor

Aug 20, 2019, 8:56:13 PM8/20/19
Perhaps I spoke too soon, part II: I recently got an "American Memorial Park"
(N. Mariana Islands), also relatively unscratched and shiny -- more than I can
say for Everglades or Gettyburg.

bobel...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2019, 9:10:08 PM8/30/19
Has anyone seen any "W" mint marks yet?

Questor

Oct 7, 2019, 1:20:59 PM10/7/19
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 00:54:28 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 10:10:48 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I've now had 16 quarters bearing the issue year of 2018. The 16th,
>>captured this week, is Cumberland Island [Georgia]. The busy
>>Denverites have struck again.
>
>I got my first 2019 penny today.

I got a wheat cent in my change yesterday, so naturally I checked
the date -- 1919! A hundred-year-old penny. The places it's been,
the tales it might tell...

Les Albert

Oct 7, 2019, 1:31:47 PM10/7/19
On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:21:33 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

>I got a wheat cent in my change yesterday, so naturally I checked
>the date -- 1919! A hundred-year-old penny. The places it's been,
>the tales it might tell...

http://cointrackers.com/coins/13525/1919-wheat-penny/
"CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1919 Wheat Penny value at an
average of 35 cents, one in certified mint state (MS+) could be worth
$60.".

Les

Kerr-Mudd,John

Oct 7, 2019, 3:39:19 PM10/7/19
I forget; 200 years is ancient to the European settlers.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Questor

Oct 8, 2019, 1:56:04 PM10/8/19
While this penny does not look like it's a hundred years old, it's also pretty
far from being mint. I keep the wheat cents that cross my path, and this is the
oldest one so far. I also got one of the 1943 steel pennies a couple of years
ago.

Questor

Oct 8, 2019, 1:56:13 PM10/8/19
The difference between the British and the Americans is that the British think
200 miles is a long way, and the Americans think 200 years is a long time.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Oct 8, 2019, 2:37:27 PM10/8/19
It certainly is a long drive if going through a lot of towns and
villages!

61rr...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2019, 5:13:49 PM10/8/19
It IS a long way.

--
rr-never been outside of the lower 48 U.S. states-oger

Snidely

Oct 9, 2019, 4:50:27 AM10/9/19
On Tuesday, 61rr...@gmail.com queried:
[elevating the sig]
> rr-never been outside of the lower 48 U.S. states-oger

How much of the lower 48?

200 miles doesn't get me to Nevada or Arizona, but is more than enough
to get to Tijuana.

/dps

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"
_Phoebe and Her Unicorn_, 2016.05.15

Kerr-Mudd,John

Oct 9, 2019, 11:38:19 AM10/9/19
Even at US gas-guzzling mpg; that's a long haul to visit a boozer^w an
agéd aunt.

Questor

Oct 9, 2019, 1:14:59 PM10/9/19
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 18:37:24 -0000 (UTC), "Kerr-Mudd,John"
<nots...@invalid.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 17:56:50 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 19:39:18 -0000 (UTC), "Kerr-Mudd,John"
>> <nots...@invalid.org> wrote:

>>>I forget; 200 years is ancient to the European settlers.
>>
>> The difference between the British and the Americans is that the
>> British think 200 miles is a long way, and the Americans think 200
>> years is a long time.
>>
>It certainly is a long drive if going through a lot of towns and
>villages!

That's why they invented the highway!

Vroom Vroom!

Questor

Jan 7, 2020, 4:21:02 AM1/7/20

In the closing weeks of 2019 I received in change some San Antonio Missions
(Texas) and even a River of No Return Wilderness (Idaho). The name of the
latter is so long that "Wilderness" is inscribed in the circular portion of the
coin that usually contains just the design. I have bright, shiny samples of all
the 2019 quarters, including those for the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam.
This is to be contrasted with previous years. I have never gotten a bright and
shiny Everglades or Chaco Culture, to name but two of several.

Now waiting to see when I get my first 2020 penny.

bobel...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2020, 4:38:01 PM1/7/20
Have you got any with "W" mint marks yet?

snide...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2020, 6:42:58 PM1/8/20
Harder these days, but some people do clean their cupboards occasionally.

> Now waiting to see when I get my first 2020 penny.

Today's pocket survey:

1963d
1983d
1991d
1992d
1993d
2005d
2014d
2015d
2016dd
2017d
2018ddd
2019dddd

/dps

snide...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2020, 6:47:33 PM1/8/20
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 1:38:01 PM UTC-8 perzackly, bobel...@gmail.com wrote:

> Have you got any with "W" mint marks yet?

Not that I know of, but I only check quarters regularly.
In addition to the pennies I listed for Howard,
my pocket includes a stack of dimes and 2 nickels from Denver,
and 1 nickel from Phillie.

/dps

bobel...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2020, 3:09:57 PM1/9/20
Quarters were the only circulation coins they were going to mint at West Point, and I think it was going to only be in 2019...all five "America the Beautiful" series for the year, two million each. They usually only do proofs and commemorative issues, without mint marks.

Questor

Jan 21, 2020, 2:43:57 PM1/21/20
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 13:37:59 -0800 (PST), bobel...@gmail.com wrote:
>Have you got any with "W" mint marks yet?

No, and I don't expect to. The odds are less than 1 in 150 of getting one,
assuming a uniform distribution -- and it most likely isn't. I suspect many
thousands are diverted in different ways for collectors. (How else to explain
companies that are always selling uncirculated sets?) And despite conducting
most of my business in cash, especially for the little everyday stuff, the total
number of quarters -- not just the 2019 ones -- that pass through my hands in
any given year isn't large enough to offset those odds.

Rick B.

Feb 18, 2020, 6:01:43 PM2/18/20
Got my first territorial quarter in quite some time last week, a rather beat-up
American Samoa. Today, my first 2020 coin, a dime.

snide...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2020, 2:22:57 AM2/19/20
On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 3:01:43 PM UTC-8, Rick B. wrote:
> Got my first territorial quarter in quite some time last week, a rather beat-up
> American Samoa. Today, my first 2020 coin, a dime.

American Samoa? Wasn't that from 2010 or so?

The dimes in my pocket today range from 1989 to 2020, both D's.
6 of the 9 are 21st C, and from the last decade I have '12, '17, '18, and '19.
I have a run of 4 consecutive years.

I haven't check the pocket-overflow in the car yet.

/dps

Snidely

Feb 19, 2020, 3:53:53 AM2/19/20
Tuesday, snide...@gmail.com quipped:
> On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 3:01:43 PM UTC-8, Rick B. wrote:
>> Got my first territorial quarter in quite some time last week, a rather
>> beat-up American Samoa. Today, my first 2020 coin, a dime.
>
> American Samoa? Wasn't that from 2010 or so?

Hmmm. 2009

Meanwhile, the change machine at the laundry gave me a 2005 KS (D)
that must have spent 15 minutes in circulation.

Two weeks ago it gave me a 2002 TN (S). The first S since I started
the logging 3 1/3 years ago, and I don't think I saw one anytime since
the States started appearing in 1999, though I was not always checking
carefully.

> The dimes in my pocket today range from 1989 to 2020, both D's.
> 6 of the 9 are 21st C, and from the last decade I have '12, '17, '18, and
> '19. I have a run of 4 consecutive years.
>

> I haven't check the pocket-overflow in the car yet.

And I did miss another 2K dime in the other pocket.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.

Snidely

Mar 11, 2020, 1:33:28 PM3/11/20
With a quizzical look, Questor observed:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:12:57 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:

>>> 6 weeks later, my 2018 Angst is finally eased by seeing "Block Island".
>>
>> Two of the first three 2019s are from Pacific territories -- Guam and
>> Northern Mariana Islands. Good luck seeing those anytime soon.
>
> Perhaps I spoke too soon. I just got a "War in the Pacific" (Guam), and it's
> bright and shiny -- in better shape than any of the El Yunque or Chaco
> Culture that I've received.

I just got a Mt Rushmore (2013) and a Great Sand Dunes (2014) that
looked pretty crisp.

> (What's the name for residents of Guam? Guamers? Guamians? Guamites?)

The CIA knows. According to WikiPiedmont, "The indigenous Guamanians
are the Chamorros".

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the
springs."
(Speculative fiction by H.Lacedaemonian.)

Questor

May 15, 2020, 4:04:11 PM5/15/20

Yesterday, in the same handful of change, I received my first 2020 pennies and
my first 2020 quarter -- Weir Farm (Connecticut).

Questor

May 25, 2020, 3:33:04 AM5/25/20
On Fri, 15 May 2020 20:04:41 GMT, use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote:
>Yesterday, in the same handful of change, I received my first 2020 pennies and
>my first 2020 quarter -- Weir Farm (Connecticut).

I now have a couple of the quarters from American Samoa, with the bats. I read
once that there are about 2200 species of mammals on the planet, and 1200 of
them are bats.