"Everyone was wrong" About the Giant Naked Man

Howard

May 20, 2021, 12:33:08 AM5/20/21
Cerne Abbas Giant date of creation narrowed down to 700 to 1100 AD.

"Many archaeologists and historians thought he was prehistoric or post-
medieval, but not medieval. Everyone was wrong, and that makes these
results even more exciting."

https://tinyurl.com/e2y5k97r

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scholars-are-one-step-closer-
solving-mystery-enormous-chalk-figure-180977725/

occam

May 21, 2021, 11:53:29 AM5/21/21
What the prudish (but otherwise excellent) Smithsonian article fails to
mention is that the size of the phallus has grown in the recent past.

"The Giant has been described as "renowned for its manhood",[15]
"markedly phallic",[8] "sexually explicit"[16] and "ithyphallic".[17]
The Giant sports an erection, including its testicles, some 11 metres
(36 feet) long, and nearly the length of its head.[18] It has been
called "Britain's most famous phallus";[19] one commentator noted that
postcards of the Giant were the only indecent photographs that could be
sent through the English Post Office.[20] However, this feature may also
have changed over time. From a review of historical depictions of the
figure, it has been identified that the Giant's current large erection
is, in fact, the result of merging a circle representing his navel with
a smaller penis during a 1908 re-cut: the navel still appears on a late
1890s picture postcard."

(From Wiki)

Howzat?

Howard

May 21, 2021, 8:51:41 PM5/21/21
occam <nob...@nowhere.nix> wrote:

> On 20/05/2021 06:33, Howard wrote:

>> Cerne Abbas Giant date of creation narrowed down to 700 to 1100 AD.
>>
>> "Many archaeologists and historians thought he was prehistoric or post-
medieval, but not medieval. Everyone was wrong, and that makes these
results even more exciting."

>> https://tinyurl.com/e2y5k97r
>
> What the prudish (but otherwise excellent) Smithsonian article fails
> to mention is that the size of the phallus has grown in the recent
> past.

<snip>

I wonder if the entire thing was a later addition, including that later
elongation. Defacing art that way has been going on for millennia, and I'd
hope scientists checked for evidence that it was a more recent dickbomb.

Les Albert

May 22, 2021, 6:33:07 PM5/22/21
>a smaller penis during a 1908 re-cut: the navel still appears on a late
>1890s picture postcard."
>(From Wiki)
>Howzat?

The May 24th issue of the New Yorker has an interesting article about
the giant and the method that was used to date it. You can read the
article by Rebecca Mead at https://tinyurl.com/vwj6we34
or
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/05/24/the-mysterious-origins-of-the-cerne-abbas-giant

Les