Social Security Age

mike...@unverbesserlich.org

Jul 27, 2005, 9:01:51 AM7/27/05
Yet another detail to make me feel old. Mick Jagger turned 62 today.
If he had reported enough quarters of US income, he could draw social
security.

I remember the first US released album by the Stones. Now I feel
really old - but not as old as Mick Jagger.

Mike
"There are, of course, several things in Ontario that are more
dangerous
then wolves. For instance, the stepladder."
- J.W. Curran

E.I

Jul 27, 2005, 11:32:21 AM7/27/05

<mike...@unverbesserlich.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
1122469311....@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Yet another detail to make me feel old. Mick Jagger turned 62 today.
> If he had reported enough quarters of US income, he could draw social
> security.
>
> I remember the first US released album by the Stones. Now I feel
> really old - but not as old as Mick Jagger.

Well, there was an exec in the company I worked for...
in the 80s he got the finance dept to pay the SecSoc $10 Mn
so that he could retire (almost), when he wanted, after working
in this country for about 5 years...

It's not only the effort you put in ... it's also the secrets you know...

James Gifford

Jul 27, 2005, 12:05:54 PM7/27/05
"mike...@unverbesserlich.org" <mike...@unverbesserlich.org> wrote:
> Yet another detail to make me feel old. Mick Jagger turned 62 today.

Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition.

(I know, I've said that before. But even with daily reminders of my
advancing age, that one just throws me like a WWF wrestler, every time it
crosses my mind.)

--
|=- James Gifford = FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY -=|
|=- So... your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? -=|

Les Albert

Jul 27, 2005, 2:59:46 PM7/27/05
E.I wrote:

> Well, there was an exec in the company I worked for...
> in the 80s he got the finance dept to pay the SecSoc $10 Mn
> so that he could retire (almost), when he wanted, after working
> in this country for about 5 years...
> It's not only the effort you put in ... it's also the secrets you know...

That's got to be one of the biggest crocks that has been posted here in
a very long time. Social security payments are made according to the
amount of money the employee makes in a wage payment period. You can't
deposit money in excess of what the social security rate is. In
addition, you can retire any time that you want even if you have *no*
money paid into social security. I would guess that you are the victim
of a false corporate legend. You should be as embarrassed as the girl
who hit her nose on the diving board.

Les

E.I

Jul 27, 2005, 3:02:59 PM7/27/05

"Les Albert" <lalb...@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1122490786.8...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

No crock. I have the press cutting.

Renato Riverso was (since I don't know if he's still alive) his name.

> Les

groo

Jul 27, 2005, 3:52:03 PM7/27/05
"mike...@unverbesserlich.org" <mike...@unverbesserlich.org> wrote in

> I remember the first US released album by the Stones. Now I feel
> really old - but not as old as Mick Jagger.

Just be glad to don't feel as old as Keith Richards looks. At least, I hope
you don't.

I heard on the radio the other day that Keith will play Johnny Depp's
character's father in the sequel of "Pirates of the Caribbean".

--
"I was trapped in the body of a woman. Best New Year's Eve I ever
spent." - John Dean, afca

James Gifford

Jul 27, 2005, 4:35:24 PM7/27/05
groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote:
> Just be glad to don't feel as old as Keith Richards looks. At least, I
> hope you don't.
>
> I heard on the radio the other day that Keith will play Johnny Depp's
> character's father in the sequel of "Pirates of the Caribbean".

Because Depp modeled his character, in large part, on Keith. So I'se told.
I can see it.

Opus the Penguin

Jul 27, 2005, 7:38:59 PM7/27/05
James Gifford <n...@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

> "mike...@unverbesserlich.org" <mike...@unverbesserlich.org>
> wrote:
>> Yet another detail to make me feel old. Mick Jagger turned 62
>> today.
>
> Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition.
>
> (I know, I've said that before. But even with daily reminders of
> my advancing age, that one just throws me like a WWF wrestler,
> every time it crosses my mind.)

Maybe there'll be a Raiders of the Lost Ark 25th Anniversary Edition
next year to take your mind off it.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

danny burstein

Jul 27, 2005, 7:42:02 PM7/27/05

>>> Yet another detail to make me feel old. Mick Jagger turned 62
>>> today.
>>
>> Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition.
>>

>Maybe there'll be a Raiders of the Lost Ark 25th Anniversary Edition

>next year to take your mind off it.

The one that'll get me will be when the Dodgers throw
a 50th anniv of their moving to LA...

danny " walter o'malley. spit, spit, spit " burstein

dan...@panix.com

art...@yahoo.com

Jul 28, 2005, 8:55:24 AM7/28/05
Mike Muth

>Yet another detail to make me feel old. Mick >Jagger turned 62 today.
>I remember the first US released album by the >Stones. Now I feel
>really old - but not as old as Mick Jagger.

They are releasing a new album this year called "A Bigger Bang".
According to today's paper, the title "reflects their fascination with
the scientific theory about the origin of the universe". No, there was
no sexual double entendre there, they are too old for that.....

mike...@unverbesserlich.org

Jul 28, 2005, 9:33:37 AM7/28/05

art...@yahoo.com wrote:

> They are releasing a new album this year called "A Bigger Bang".
> According to today's paper, the title "reflects their fascination with
> the scientific theory about the origin of the universe". No, there was
> no sexual double entendre there, they are too old for that.....

Sometimes it seems as though the Stones may be old enough to answer
questions about the Big Bang, based on personal experience.

Working here (with the Coast Guard in Topeka, KS) sometimes makes me
feel old. Once the Chief retires, the oldest Coastie working for me
will be less than half my age.

Mike
"They came on in the same old way, and we sent them back in the same
old
way"
- Wellington

Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

Jul 29, 2005, 12:16:17 AM7/29/05
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:02:59 +0200, "E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:

> Renato Riverso was (since I don't know if he's still alive) his name.

Of Alitalia? No Social Security for him; that's an American thing.

Mary

We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
reunite....@gmail.com or mil...@qnet.com

E.I

Jul 30, 2005, 3:04:29 AM7/30/05

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" <reunite....@gmail.com> a écrit
dans le message de news: 18bje1p4hrjjn5rnl...@4ax.com...

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:02:59 +0200, "E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:
>
>> Renato Riverso was (since I don't know if he's still alive) his name.
>
> Of Alitalia? No Social Security for him; that's an American thing.

The very same (Italia being plagued with strikes).

He had the company he worked for, buy him social security contributions
to the value of millions of dollars ...

What does you "No Social Security for him; that's an American thing" mean ?

D.F. Manno

Jul 30, 2005, 9:23:27 PM7/30/05
In article <42eb267d$0$2517$a3f2...@nnrp1.numericable.fr>,
"E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:

> What does you "No Social Security for him; that's an American thing" mean ?

Social Security is a U.S. social insurance program that provides
benefits to retirees, the disabled, and the widow(er)s and children of
deceased workers. It's funded by a payroll tax, half of which is paid by
the worker and helf by the employer. If a worker never paid the payroll
tax on any of his/her jobs, s/he can't collect benefits. A non-American
therefore cannot collect unless s/he worked in a job in the U.S. (or in
some cases, in a job overseas for a U.S.-based employer).
--
D.F. Manno | dfm2a...@spymac.com
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
- H. L. Mencken, in the Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920

E.I

Jul 31, 2005, 3:17:40 AM7/31/05

"D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
dfm2a3l0t2-CC976...@news.x-privat.org...

> In article <42eb267d$0$2517$a3f2...@nnrp1.numericable.fr>,
> "E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:
>
>> What does you "No Social Security for him; that's an American thing" mean
>> ?
>
> Social Security is a U.S. social insurance program that provides
> benefits to retirees, the disabled, and the widow(er)s and children of
> deceased workers. It's funded by a payroll tax, half of which is paid by
> the worker and helf by the employer. If a worker never paid the payroll
> tax on any of his/her jobs, s/he can't collect benefits. A non-American
> therefore cannot collect unless s/he worked in a job in the U.S. (or in
> some cases, in a job overseas for a U.S.-based employer).

OR, unless said non-American is inscribed in the social security program
of the country in which he is resident ?

I thought it was the case.

Social security programs DO exist outside bushland....

My point being "No Social Security for him; that's an American thing"
is a falsehood, or, the product of a narrow thinker.

Nevertheless, TY, DF for your reply.

Estron

Aug 4, 2005, 11:45:59 AM8/4/05
Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, mike...@unverbesserlich.org wrote:

> Working here (with the Coast Guard in Topeka, KS) sometimes makes me
> feel old. Once the Chief retires, the oldest Coastie working for me
> will be less than half my age.

Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our manager
said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.

I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation, "Oh,
Rochester!"

The 25-year-old at the next desk was totally uncomprehending.

--
Any opinions expressed above are only that, and are my own.
Pax vobiscum.

groo

Aug 4, 2005, 12:39:21 PM8/4/05
Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote in

> Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, mike...@unverbesserlich.org
> wrote:
>
>> Working here (with the Coast Guard in Topeka, KS) sometimes makes me
>> feel old. Once the Chief retires, the oldest Coastie working for me
>> will be less than half my age.
>
> Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our
> manager said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
>
> I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation,
> "Oh, Rochester!"
>
> The 25-year-old at the next desk was totally uncomprehending.

Hit 'em with your buggy whip.

--
"I'm a failure. I can't even fake the death of a stripper." - GOB Bluth,
"Arrested Development"

enri

Aug 4, 2005, 12:47:31 PM8/4/05
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:45:59 -0500, Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:

>Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, mike...@unverbesserlich.org wrote:
>
>> Working here (with the Coast Guard in Topeka, KS) sometimes makes me
>> feel old. Once the Chief retires, the oldest Coastie working for me
>> will be less than half my age.
>
>Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our manager
>said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
>
>I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation, "Oh,
>Rochester!"
>
>The 25-year-old at the next desk was totally uncomprehending.

Probably because she/he understood that your manager wanted the call
placed to their orifice in Rochester NY.

enri

ask me about my cat

Peter Boulding

Aug 4, 2005, 1:08:40 PM8/4/05
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:39:21 GMT, groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote in
<Xns96A86239A95CA94...@64.164.98.6>:

>Hit 'em with your buggy whip.

Hit 'em with your buggy whip

Hit 'em! Hit 'em!
Das ist gut! C'est fantastique!
Hit 'em! Hit 'em!

Hit 'em with your buggy whip

It's nice to be a lunatic
Hit 'em! Hit 'em! Hit 'em!

--
Regards
Peter Boulding

D.F. Manno

Aug 4, 2005, 5:35:40 PM8/4/05
In article <MPG.1d5bec924...@news.birch.net>,
Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:

> Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, mike...@unverbesserlich.org wrote:
>
> > Working here (with the Coast Guard in Topeka, KS) sometimes makes me
> > feel old. Once the Chief retires, the oldest Coastie working for me
> > will be less than half my age.
>
> Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our manager
> said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
>
> I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation, "Oh,
> Rochester!"
>
> The 25-year-old at the next desk was totally uncomprehending.

I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.

Ulo Melton

Aug 4, 2005, 5:53:59 PM8/4/05
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:35:40 -0400, "D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com>
wrote:

>In article <MPG.1d5bec924...@news.birch.net>,
> Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:
>
>> Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, mike...@unverbesserlich.org wrote:
>>
>> > Working here (with the Coast Guard in Topeka, KS) sometimes makes me
>> > feel old. Once the Chief retires, the oldest Coastie working for me
>> > will be less than half my age.
>>
>> Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our manager
>> said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
>>
>> I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation, "Oh,
>> Rochester!"
>>
>> The 25-year-old at the next desk was totally uncomprehending.
>
>I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
>to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.

Each generation has its own dreck to keep track of. It's not really fair
to expect them to keep track of a previous generation's dreck as well.

--
Ulo Melton
http://www.sewergator.com - Your Pipeline To Adventure

Jim Ellwanger

Aug 5, 2005, 12:18:43 AM8/5/05
<est...@tfs.net> wrote:

> Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our manager
> said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
>
> I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation, "Oh,
> Rochester!"

The minor-league baseball stadium in Rancho Cucamonga, California, has
a statue of Jack Benny just inside the entrance gate.

And the stadium is located on Rochester Avenue.

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.

Jim Ellwanger

Aug 5, 2005, 12:19:35 AM8/5/05
In article <7i35f1lfeacqjh8kn...@4ax.com>, Ulo Melton
<melt...@sewergator.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:35:40 -0400, "D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <MPG.1d5bec924...@news.birch.net>,
> > Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:
>
> >> I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation,
> >> "Oh, Rochester!"
> >>
> >> The 25-year-old at the next desk was totally uncomprehending.
> >
> >I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
> >to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.
>
> Each generation has its own dreck to keep track of. It's not really fair
> to expect them to keep track of a previous generation's dreck as well.

Jack Benny? "SCTV"? This is clearly a meaning of the word "dreck"
that I have not encountered previously.

Charles Bishop

Aug 5, 2005, 12:28:10 AM8/5/05
In article <040820052118435689%use...@ellwanger.tv>, Jim Ellwanger
<use...@ellwanger.tv> wrote:

>In article <MPG.1d5bec924...@news.birch.net>, Estron
><est...@tfs.net> wrote:
>
>> Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our manager
>> said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
>>
>> I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation, "Oh,
>> Rochester!"
>
>The minor-league baseball stadium in Rancho Cucamonga, California, has
>a statue of Jack Benny just inside the entrance gate.
>
>And the stadium is located on Rochester Avenue.

Anaheim, Azusa, and Kook-a-mon ga

--
charles

Erich

Aug 5, 2005, 12:37:42 AM8/5/05
In article <040820052118435689%use...@ellwanger.tv>,
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv> wrote:

> In article <MPG.1d5bec924...@news.birch.net>, Estron
> <est...@tfs.net> wrote:
>
> > Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our manager
> > said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
> >
> > I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation, "Oh,
> > Rochester!"
>
> The minor-league baseball stadium in Rancho Cucamonga, California, has
> a statue of Jack Benny just inside the entrance gate.
>
> And the stadium is located on Rochester Avenue.

Is the statue only 39 years old?

... Erich

E.I

Aug 5, 2005, 2:24:47 AM8/5/05

"D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
dfm2a3l0t2-9DD75...@news.uswest.net...

> In article <MPG.1d5bec924...@news.birch.net>,
> Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:
>
>> Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, mike...@unverbesserlich.org wrote:
>>
>> > Working here (with the Coast Guard in Topeka, KS) sometimes makes me
>> > feel old. Once the Chief retires, the oldest Coastie working for me
>> > will be less than half my age.
>>
>> Last night at work, we were experiencing computer problems, and our
>> manager
>> said she'd have to call our office in Rochester, New York.
>>
>> I put my fingers to my chin and said, in my best Jack Benny imitation,
>> "Oh,
>> Rochester!"
>>
>> The 25-year-old at the next desk was totally uncomprehending.
>
> I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
> to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.

Rochester, I know, but SCTV ? ... it must be pondian.

Ulo Melton

Aug 5, 2005, 3:57:03 AM8/5/05
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:19:35 -0700, Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
wrote:

Dreck. You know, rubbish. Trash. That which will be discarded as
worthless. Now, I'll concede that even though the younger generation
seems to be discarding it already, we don't really know how it will
stand the test of time until more time has passed. I therefore make a
commitment: if, 100 years from now, you can find 10 people who give a
rat's ass about Jack Benny or SCTV--indeed, if you can find 10 people
who even recognize the names--I will pay you one thousand dollars. One.
Thousand. Dollars. Such is the depth of my confidence in the dreckitude
of Jack Benny and SCTV.

ra...@westnet.poe.com

Aug 5, 2005, 10:32:58 AM8/5/05
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv> wrote:
> In article <7i35f1lfeacqjh8kn...@4ax.com>, Ulo Melton
> <melt...@sewergator.com> wrote:
<snip>

> > Each generation has its own dreck to keep track of. It's not really fair
> > to expect them to keep track of a previous generation's dreck as well.

> Jack Benny? "SCTV"? This is clearly a meaning of the word "dreck"
> that I have not encountered previously.

Crap. Shit. Stuff.

Jack Benny and SCTV, well they're funny and all that, but not so
earthshakingly funny that subsequent generations ought to know all about
it or consider themselves uncultured. They were each good, no doubt about
it, but neither really is comparable with Dickens or Shakespaere.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.

deep...@my-deja.com

Aug 5, 2005, 10:49:11 AM8/5/05

Ulo Melton wrote:

> if, 100 years from now, you can find 10 people who give a
> rat's ass about Jack Benny or SCTV--indeed, if you can find 10 people
> who even recognize the names--I will pay you one thousand dollars. One.
> Thousand. Dollars.

You going to make him show up in person to collect?

Peter Ward

Aug 5, 2005, 1:26:27 PM8/5/05
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:32:58 GMT, ra...@westnet.poe.com posted....

>Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv> wrote:
>> In article <7i35f1lfeacqjh8kn...@4ax.com>, Ulo Melton
>> <melt...@sewergator.com> wrote:
><snip>
>> > Each generation has its own dreck to keep track of. It's not really fair
>> > to expect them to keep track of a previous generation's dreck as well.
>
>> Jack Benny? "SCTV"? This is clearly a meaning of the word "dreck"
>> that I have not encountered previously.
>
>Crap. Shit. Stuff.
>
>Jack Benny and SCTV, well they're funny and all that, but not so
>earthshakingly funny that subsequent generations ought to know all about
>it or consider themselves uncultured. They were each good, no doubt about
>it, but neither really is comparable with Dickens or Shakespaere.

Well, thank goodness for that, at least.

--

Peter

I'm an alien

Boron Elgar

Aug 5, 2005, 2:09:45 PM8/5/05

Though I was never much of a Benny fan, he will be likely noted for
his status and longevity on radio (1932-1955), as well as for his
years on TV (sporadically from 1949 until 1960, then weekly until
1965).

SCTV, much more to my liking comedically, was not seen by nearly as
many as Benny while on the air originally, though has been perpetuated
even more by video and DVD.

Who is to say what future generations will value or how entertainers
and entertainment will be seen, let alone the arts and literature.
Mozart and Van Gogh died miserably and without fame, yet they are
considered masters to us.

Perhaps the original "Survivor" series will take its place as a work
of genius and tremendous sociological insight or Catherine Coulter
will be thought of as a literary giant.

Boron

groo

Aug 5, 2005, 2:36:55 PM8/5/05
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Perhaps the original "Survivor" series will take its place as a work
> of genius and tremendous sociological insight or Catherine Coulter
> will be thought of as a literary giant.

Thanks for pointing out that possibility. Now I have to put a provision in
my will that if that happens, someone needs to dig up my body so they can
shoot me in the head.

--
"Would it be impolite at this point in the conversation to just run away
from you?" - Dave, "News Radio"

Boron Elgar

Aug 5, 2005, 2:40:16 PM8/5/05
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:36:55 GMT, groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote:

>Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Perhaps the original "Survivor" series will take its place as a work
>> of genius and tremendous sociological insight or Catherine Coulter
>> will be thought of as a literary giant.
>

>Thanks for pointing out that possibility. Now I have to put a provision in
>my will that if that happens, someone needs to dig up my body so they can
>shoot me in the head.

My contingency is that I will come back and haunt any fools who come
to these conclusions. I assume that haunting will be quite easy in
such a society and that everyone will believe in ghosts, too, so I
will have no problem returning.

boron

ra...@westnet.poe.com

Aug 5, 2005, 2:58:09 PM8/5/05

> > Perhaps the original "Survivor" series will take its place as a work
> > of genius and tremendous sociological insight or Catherine Coulter
> > will be thought of as a literary giant.

> Thanks for pointing out that possibility. Now I have to put a provision in
> my will that if that happens, someone needs to dig up my body so they can
> shoot me in the head.

Now, that would be awfully difficult as I presume it would have exploded
long prior.

Estron

Aug 5, 2005, 3:09:53 PM8/5/05
Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Ulo Melton wrote:

> I therefore make a
> commitment: if, 100 years from now, you can find 10 people who give a
> rat's ass about Jack Benny or SCTV--indeed, if you can find 10 people
> who even recognize the names--I will pay you one thousand dollars. One.
> Thousand. Dollars. Such is the depth of my confidence in the dreckitude
> of Jack Benny and SCTV.

I know not your age, dear Melton, but considering that I am 49.4273972
years old as of today. it is extremely unlikely that if I were to take this
wager and devise some way to make it legally binding over the Internet, I
would be able to collect.

For collect it I definitely would. There are far, far more than 10
historians, curators and scholars who know the names of popular
entertainers and entertainments more than a century departed.

Estron

Aug 5, 2005, 3:09:54 PM8/5/05
Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Raven John wrote:

> Jack Benny and SCTV, well they're funny and all that, but not so
> earthshakingly funny that subsequent generations ought to know all about
> it or consider themselves uncultured. They were each good, no doubt about
> it, but neither really is comparable with Dickens or Shakespaere.

The world, it has often been said, is a very big place. And record-keeping
is more detailed than ever before. To use Ulo's arbitrary time-frame, in
100 years there will doubtless be lots of folks who are devotees of some
quirk of the past. There will be fan clubs of Faulkner and Formica, of
Twain and of the twist, of Shakespeare, Samuel Bennett and Shecky Greene.

Estron

Aug 5, 2005, 3:09:56 PM8/5/05
Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Boron Elgar wrote:

> Perhaps the original "Survivor" series will take its place as a work
> of genius and tremendous sociological insight or Catherine Coulter
> will be thought of as a literary giant.

Probably by the same historians who will rank Warren Harding, Richard Nixon
and George W. Bush among our better presidents.

Boron Elgar

Aug 5, 2005, 3:14:35 PM8/5/05
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:09:56 -0500, Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:

>Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the original "Survivor" series will take its place as a work
>> of genius and tremendous sociological insight or Catherine Coulter
>> will be thought of as a literary giant.
>
>Probably by the same historians who will rank Warren Harding, Richard Nixon
>and George W. Bush among our better presidents.

Oh swell...not only does that idea make me want to kill myself, but
makes me consider offing the kids, as well.

Boron

D.F. Manno

Aug 5, 2005, 3:17:07 PM8/5/05
In article <42f3062c$0$2523$a3f2...@nnrp1.numericable.fr>,
"E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:

> "D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>

> > I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
> > to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.
>
> Rochester, I know, but SCTV ? ... it must be pondian.

SCTV was a sketch comedy show that debuted on Canadian TV in the late
'70s, and then was picked up by NBC in the U.S. in the '80s, produced by
the Second City improvisational comedy troupe in Chicago. Many of the
SCTV cast members became well-known in U.S. comedy films:
Harold Ramis, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, and Martin Short.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Aug 5, 2005, 4:08:45 PM8/5/05
D.F. Manno wrote:

> I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
> to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.

Neither do I.
I could google for it, if I wanted to, but why bother?

As a professor of long standing I had a long list of one-liners
to liven up my lectures. It was a shame when I had to retire all
the Elizabeth Taylor jokes because people no longer knew who she
was.

[Example: I used to refer to lit-par-lit gneiss as an Elizabeth
Taylor kind of rock.]

Charles

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Aug 5, 2005, 4:18:12 PM8/5/05
Ulo Melton wrote:

> Dreck. You know, rubbish. Trash. That which will be discarded as
> worthless. Now, I'll concede that even though the younger generation
> seems to be discarding it already, we don't really know how it will
> stand the test of time until more time has passed. I therefore make a
> commitment: if, 100 years from now, you can find 10 people who give a
> rat's ass about Jack Benny or SCTV--indeed, if you can find 10 people
> who even recognize the names--I will pay you one thousand dollars. One.
> Thousand. Dollars. Such is the depth of my confidence in the dreckitude
> of Jack Benny and SCTV.

Oscar Wilde died 102 years ago, and he is still remembered by many.

groo

Aug 5, 2005, 5:24:06 PM8/5/05
"D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> wrote in

> SCTV was a sketch comedy show that debuted on Canadian TV in the late
> '70s, and then was picked up by NBC in the U.S. in the '80s, produced by
> the Second City improvisational comedy troupe in Chicago. Many of the
> SCTV cast members became well-known in U.S. comedy films:
> Harold Ramis, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, and Martin Short.

And whasshername was in the "Home Alone" movies.

Dana Carpender

Aug 5, 2005, 5:35:30 PM8/5/05

groo wrote:

> "D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> wrote in
>

>>SCTV was a sketch comedy show that debuted on Canadian TV in the late
>>'70s, and then was picked up by NBC in the U.S. in the '80s, produced by
>>the Second City improvisational comedy troupe in Chicago. Many of the
>>SCTV cast members became well-known in U.S. comedy films:
>>Harold Ramis, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, and Martin Short.
>>

> And whasshername was in the "Home Alone" movies.

And Beetlejuice, too, I believe.

Dana

Ulo Melton

Aug 5, 2005, 5:55:13 PM8/5/05
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:09:53 -0500, Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:

>Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Ulo Melton wrote:
>
>> I therefore make a
>> commitment: if, 100 years from now, you can find 10 people who give a
>> rat's ass about Jack Benny or SCTV--indeed, if you can find 10 people
>> who even recognize the names--I will pay you one thousand dollars. One.
>> Thousand. Dollars. Such is the depth of my confidence in the dreckitude
>> of Jack Benny and SCTV.
>
>I know not your age, dear Melton, but considering that I am 49.4273972
>years old as of today. it is extremely unlikely that if I were to take this
>wager and devise some way to make it legally binding over the Internet, I
>would be able to collect.

Hah! Old geezer. I'm a mere 49.2135383 years old. By the time the payoff
date comes around, you'll be cold and in the grave, and I'll be in my
prime.

>For collect it I definitely would. There are far, far more than 10
>historians, curators and scholars who know the names of popular
>entertainers and entertainments more than a century departed.

Are you saying there are no entertainers who have been completely
forgotten? I'd like to see the proof for that.

groo

Aug 5, 2005, 6:23:55 PM8/5/05
Ulo Melton <melt...@sewergator.com> wrote in

> Are you saying there are no entertainers who have been completely
> forgotten? I'd like to see the proof for that.

There was Dweezil, the platypus-faced boy. He could play the harmonica,
accordion, and bagpipes simultaneously. But no one remembers him now.

D.F. Manno

Aug 5, 2005, 8:52:07 PM8/5/05
In article <Xns96A99280F99A594...@64.164.98.6>,
groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote:

> "D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> wrote in
>

> > SCTV was a sketch comedy show that debuted on Canadian TV in the late
> > '70s, and then was picked up by NBC in the U.S. in the '80s, produced by
> > the Second City improvisational comedy troupe in Chicago. Many of the
> > SCTV cast members became well-known in U.S. comedy films:
> > Harold Ramis, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, and Martin Short.
>
> And whasshername was in the "Home Alone" movies.

Which whasshername? I've never seen (nor do I ever plan to see) the
"Home Alone" movies.

Jerry Bauer

Aug 5, 2005, 9:06:09 PM8/5/05
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:35:30 -0700, Dana Carpender wrote
(in article <CYQIe.224631$x96.199232@attbi_s72>):

No, Beetlejuice wasn't in the "Home Alone" movies. You're thinking
of Macaulay Culkin.

groo

Aug 5, 2005, 9:19:19 PM8/5/05

> In article <Xns96A99280F99A594...@64.164.98.6>,
> groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote:
>
>> "D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> wrote in
>>
>> > SCTV was a sketch comedy show that debuted on Canadian TV in the
>> > late '70s, and then was picked up by NBC in the U.S. in the '80s,
>> > produced by the Second City improvisational comedy troupe in
>> > Chicago. Many of the SCTV cast members became well-known in U.S.
>> > comedy films: Harold Ramis, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis,
>> > and Martin Short.
>>
>> And whasshername was in the "Home Alone" movies.
>
> Which whasshername? I've never seen (nor do I ever plan to see) the
> "Home Alone" movies.

Catherine O'Hara.

Estron

Aug 6, 2005, 11:58:58 AM8/6/05
Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Ulo Melton wrote:

> Are you saying there are no entertainers who have been completely
> forgotten? I'd like to see the proof for that.

In other words, because I think that Jack Benny and the television show
"SCTV" will be remembered in 100 years, I necessarily think that there are
_no_ entertainers that will not be?

I'm definitely not saying that. That question is an example of -- well,
the logicians probably have a fancy name for that, but I call it "all-or-
nothing thinking."

Hell, there are some entertainers _living today_ who are completely
forgotten. They include the undersigned.

Bob Ward

Aug 6, 2005, 1:21:24 PM8/6/05
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:58:58 -0500, Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:

>Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Ulo Melton wrote:
>
>> Are you saying there are no entertainers who have been completely
>> forgotten? I'd like to see the proof for that.
>
>In other words, because I think that Jack Benny and the television show
>"SCTV" will be remembered in 100 years, I necessarily think that there are
>_no_ entertainers that will not be?
>
>I'm definitely not saying that. That question is an example of -- well,
>the logicians probably have a fancy name for that, but I call it "all-or-
>nothing thinking."
>
>Hell, there are some entertainers _living today_ who are completely
>forgotten. They include the undersigned.

I'd like to nominate Howie Mandell.

James Gifford

Aug 6, 2005, 2:26:23 PM8/6/05
Bob Ward <bob...@email.com> wrote:
> I'd like to nominate Howie Mandell.

(Mandel.) Who, oddly enough, is NOT screenwriter Babaloo Mandel.

--
|=- James Gifford = FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY -=|
|=- So... your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? -=|

E.I

Aug 6, 2005, 5:03:12 PM8/6/05

"D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1123269428.7f9a62ccba45d95323a87675a24ad06d@teranews...

> In article <42f3062c$0$2523$a3f2...@nnrp1.numericable.fr>,
> "E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:
>
>> "D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>
>> > I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
>> > to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking
>> > clue.
>>
>> Rochester, I know, but SCTV ? ... it must be pondian.
>
> SCTV was a sketch comedy show that debuted on Canadian TV in the late
> '70s, and then was picked up by NBC in the U.S. in the '80s, produced by
> the Second City improvisational comedy troupe in Chicago. Many of the
> SCTV cast members became well-known in U.S. comedy films:
> Harold Ramis, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, and Martin Short.

Once again, TY, DF.

Ulo Melton

Aug 6, 2005, 7:15:32 PM8/6/05
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:58:58 -0500, Estron <est...@tfs.net> wrote:

>Previously in alt.fan.cecil-adams, Ulo Melton wrote:
>
>> Are you saying there are no entertainers who have been completely
>> forgotten? I'd like to see the proof for that.
>
>In other words, because I think that Jack Benny and the television show
>"SCTV" will be remembered in 100 years, I necessarily think that there are
>_no_ entertainers that will not be?

No, but if you acknowledge that /some/ entertainers will be forgotten,
how can you be certain Jack Benny and SCTV will be remembered?

Greg Goss

Aug 14, 2005, 2:27:44 AM8/14/05
"E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:

>"D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> a écrit dans le message de news:

>> I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
>> to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.
>

>Rochester, I know, but SCTV ? ... it must be pondian.

A Canadian television comedy show. The premise was that we were
observing the operation of a rather incompetent TV station. This gave
us bogus ads, short sketches exerpted from soap operas, news
announcers etc.

At least one year was franchised into the US. Since the US at that
time had considerably more commercials than Canada, there were two
minutes left at the end to fill up for the Canadian-only market. Two
of the guys would ad-lib their way through a brief "canadian content"
moment. This "Great White North" segment quickly became my favorite
segment because I have an uncle and cousin both named "Doug MacKenzie"
- the name of the dumber brother in the segment.

http://sctvguide.ca/programs/sctvprog.htm
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

E.I

Aug 14, 2005, 5:34:04 PM8/14/05

"Greg Goss" <go...@gossg.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
3m86j8F...@individual.net...

> "E.I" <a@b.c> wrote:
>
>>"D.F. Manno" <dfm2a...@spymac.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>
>>> I can top that. At my last job about five years ago, I made a reference
>>> to SCTV. The twenty-somethings in the office didn't have a fucking clue.
>>

>>Rochester, I know, but SCTV ? ... it must be pondian.
>
> A Canadian television comedy show.
>
> http://sctvguide.ca/programs/sctvprog.htm

TY, GG... How come 'the others' aren't snipping too ?

John Gilmer

Aug 14, 2005, 7:24:11 PM8/14/05

> A Canadian television comedy show.

What about "Second City (i.e.: Chicago) TV?"

Bill Van

Aug 14, 2005, 9:26:14 PM8/14/05
In article <42ffe242$1$24...@dingus.crosslink.net>,
"John Gilmer" <gil...@crosslink.net> wrote:

> > A Canadian television comedy show.
>
> What about "Second City (i.e.: Chicago) TV?"

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/The-Second-City

Second City (Chicago) was first, as a theatrical troupe, and traces back
to the 1950s. In the 70s, it was feeding players into Saturday Night
Live at a good clip. Toronto was the second to start a Second City
troupe, and the first, if memory serves, to base a TV show around it.

Good info at the above site, including lists of alumni of each city's
Second City group.

bill

Opus the Penguin

Aug 17, 2005, 7:33:28 PM8/17/05
deep...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Ulo Melton wrote:
>
>> if, 100 years from now, you can find 10 people who give a
>> rat's ass about Jack Benny or SCTV--indeed, if you can find 10
>> people who even recognize the names--I will pay you one thousand
>> dollars. One. Thousand. Dollars.
>

> You going to make him show up in person to collect?

Goodness! He'll be 39 by then.