Plant Milks

Howard

Jul 8, 2021, 10:13:19 PM7/8/21
I've recently switched to oat milk on cereal in the mornings. I don't use a
lot and I find it tends to stay good a bit longer, and the taste is
slightly better than cow milk.

But I'm curious if anyone here has any other totally subjective preferences
for other plant milks -- almond, soy, coconut, cashew....

Michael Trew

Jul 9, 2021, 1:48:50 AM7/9/21
How does one milk a plant? heh

I've had almond and soy milk... I wasn't a big fan of either. Never
tried coconut or cashew.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jul 9, 2021, 6:14:12 AM7/9/21
I've drunk soy milk for so long that the others I don't like.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Howard

Jul 9, 2021, 9:05:28 AM7/9/21
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> I've drunk soy milk for so long that the others I don't like.

How sweet does it taste? I like the lack of sugar in unsweetened oat milk,
but one person I know says the sweetness is part of the appeal of soy milk.
(I realize this can vary by brand and within product lines of a brand.)

Boron Elgar

Jul 9, 2021, 11:40:28 AM7/9/21
On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 02:13:08 +0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
wrote:
All plant milks I have tried have a sweet taste- either undertone or
overwhelming- that makes them unappealing to me. It means I'd have
to adjust any recipes that call for milk. I am too old and lazy for
that.

I also like and tolerate cow's milk and do not really want a
substitute for it so it works out well.

If, however, I were looking for some plant-based sweet liquid for a
special dessert or smoothie, I'd have no problem. In other words, I am
not against the stuff, just against using it as a sub for cow's milk.

ansaman

Jul 9, 2021, 12:08:54 PM7/9/21
MOOO!

--
**The AnsaMan**

In a recent self-evaluation:
"One of the greatest minds
produced since the invention
of the electric nose picker!"

Bob

Jul 9, 2021, 4:39:34 PM7/9/21
Some day I'll have to post my recipe for Thai Foon to link it from http://users.bestweb.net/~robgood/recipe/index.html . It uses coconut milk.
It helps that I now know the unambiguous term for the type of onion I use in it: spring onion. I should also update my recipe for the red titanium gerb.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jul 9, 2021, 4:46:16 PM7/9/21
I'm in the UK; Lidl and Aldi (etc) do both sweetened and unsweetened soy drinks (as the Dairy Lobby^w^wregulators force them to be called); I favour sweetened; obviously your taste is different, but we get the choice.

Snidely

Jul 13, 2021, 4:15:53 AM7/13/21
After serious thinking Howard wrote :
> I've recently switched to oat milk on cereal in the mornings. I don't use a
> lot and I find it tends to stay good a bit longer, and the taste is
> slightly better than cow milk.

FWIW, I find milk lasts longer if I freeze and thaw it. I buy a quart
at time, and usually freeze half, and retrieve it later.

I can't offer a taste comparison with squeezed nuts or beans.

/dps

--
Ieri, oggi, domani