Why were the Barbarians called barbarians?

Beaver Fever

Oct 8, 2021, 1:35:01 PM10/8/21
I am watching this now and not quite clear on the concept

https://youtu.be/Di5erb47ry4

Les Albert

Oct 8, 2021, 2:53:01 PM10/8/21
bar搓ar搏戢n
noun (in ancient times) - a member of a community or tribe not
belonging to one of the great civilizations (Greek, Roman, Christian).
"the city was besieged by the barbarians".

Les

Kentucky Jelly Buddha

Oct 8, 2021, 10:08:50 PM10/8/21
On 10/8/2021 1:35 PM, Beaver Fever wrote:
> I am watching this now and not quite clear on the concept
>
> https://youtu.be/Di5erb47ry4

According to Murray Bookchin (I was one of his
students) it was because the Romans hearing them
talk thought their language sounded like
"bah-bah-bah." No kidding.

--
Kentucky Jelly Buddha
Making Leek Insertion Easy Since 1904

CDB

Oct 9, 2021, 10:17:02 AM10/9/21
On 10/8/2021 10:08 PM, Kentucky Jelly Buddha wrote:
> Beaver Fever wrote:

>> I am watching this now and not quite clear on the concept

>> https://youtu.be/Di5erb47ry4

> According to Murray Bookchin (I was one of his
> students) it was because the Romans hearing them
> talk thought their language sounded like
> "bah-bah-bah." No kidding.

It was a Greek word (hoi barbaroi) that the Romans borrowed. The story
was that those crazy foreign lingos sounded like "barbarbar".

I think the Romans were barbaroi to the Greeks, at least until they
occupied Greece.

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 9, 2021, 7:17:45 PM10/9/21
I believe that the term "Berber" came from barbarian.

CDB

Oct 10, 2021, 9:40:18 AM10/10/21
On 10/9/2021 7:17 PM, art...@yahoo.com wrote:
> CDB wrote:
>> Kentucky Jelly Buddha wrote:

>>> According to Murray Bookchin (I was one of his students) it was
>>> because the Romans hearing them talk thought their language
>>> sounded like "bah-bah-bah." No kidding.
>> It was a Greek word (hoi barbaroi) that the Romans borrowed. The
>> story was that those crazy foreign lingos sounded like
>> "barbarbar".

>> I think the Romans were barbaroi to the Greeks, at least until
>> they occupied Greece.

> I believe that the term "Berber" came from barbarian.

+1.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/Berber

Michael Trew

Oct 10, 2021, 7:43:59 PM10/10/21
Presumably not related to Berber carpeting.. lol

Howard

Oct 10, 2021, 7:58:52 PM10/10/21
"art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote

> I believe that the term "Berber" came from barbarian.

If you rearrange the full name of Barbra Streisand -- Barbara Joan
Streisand -- you can get A Barbarian Jars Stoned.

HVS

Oct 11, 2021, 5:39:40 AM10/11/21
On 11 Oct 2021, Howard wrote
Britney Spears: Presbyterians.

--
Cheers, Harvey

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 11, 2021, 2:05:23 PM10/11/21
Howard Brush Dean -- A brash dude who ran.

Snidely

Oct 11, 2021, 4:46:01 PM10/11/21
Remember when Michael Trew bragged outrageously? That was Sunday:
You think the Berbers didn't know how to weave?

/dps

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are

Snidely

Oct 12, 2021, 5:13:20 PM10/12/21
Cute, but redundant, innit? Barbara <--> [female] barbarian?

And what would the sentence mean? "If you're stoned, a barbarian is
jarring to you", or "Some threw stones at a barbarian's jar"?

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.

Howard

Oct 13, 2021, 12:42:45 PM10/13/21
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote

> And what would the sentence mean? "If you're stoned, a barbarian is
> jarring to you", or "Some threw stones at a barbarian's jar"?

It's an archaeological theory behind a Laotian plain.

CDB

Oct 14, 2021, 9:57:10 AM10/14/21
On 10/12/2021 5:13 PM, Snidely wrote:
> Howard wrote on 10/10/2021 :
>> "art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote;

>>> I believe that the term "Berber" came from barbarian.

>> If you rearrange the full name of Barbra Streisand -- Barbara Joan
>> Streisand -- you can get A Barbarian Jars Stoned.

> Cute, but redundant, innit? Barbara <--> [female] barbarian?

> And what would the sentence mean? "If you're stoned, a barbarian is
> jarring to you",

Yes. Feed your head.

> or "Some threw stones at a barbarian's jar"?

Objection, M'Lud. Has indefinite article with plural form of "jar".

occam

Oct 17, 2021, 6:45:29 AM10/17/21
There is the wider area of the Barbary coast whence Barbarians came:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Coast

"The terms Barbary Coast, Barbary, Berbery or Berber Coast were used in
English-language sources (similarly to equivalent terms in other
languages) from the 16th century to the early 19th to refer to the
coastal regions of North Africa or Maghreb"